I'm really starting to love this WR room. We quietly got better

Love the post and I agree with OP. Our room is better - on paper.

The big question I have is will our O line hold up this season? Losing Morse isn't a good thing. Josh was under pressure during games when the game was close and on the line way too much. It's the O line and how Brady counters that will exhibit how our season goes.

I expect a running game to mask the ills until our WR corps can gel later in the season.

13 minutes ago, klos63 said:

If the Dolphins or the Jets had this group of WR, we'd laugh at them. 

Sadly, there's a bit of truth in that.

But if the OL can protect Josh, and if Brady turns out to be a good OC who knows how to scheme guys open, we'll be fine. 

We might not have All Pros at the skill positions (outside of our All World QB), but we do have a nice variety of weapons.

• Agree 1

Last year                This year

Diggs            >>>           Coleman

Davis             <           Samuel

Shakir           <           Shakir

Harty             =            Hollins

Sherfield        <<          MVS

Coleman is an unknown, but Diggs entering last year - by himself - makes last years WR room better.  

Now how Diggs played the last half of the season.. not so much. 

I give an edge to Samuel over Davis, an edge to this years Shakir over last year, Hollins and Harty are both ST guys who have had one decent receiving season and a big edge to MVS over Sherfield. 

No matter who is WR6, we actually have legitimate WR’s 1-5, whereas last year we had a one trick pony at WR2 a young slot that didn’t get featured in the offense until late and two scratch off tickets that flopped.  Diggs entered the season a Top 5 WR, but finished up the year being viewed as an aging Keenan Allen type… nice player, not someone to be featured.  

Just now, hondo in seattle said:

Sadly, there's a bit of truth in that.

But if the OL can protect Josh, and if Brady turns out to be a good OC who knows how to scheme guys open, we'll be fine. 

We might not have All Pros at the skill positions (outside of our All World QB), but we do have a nice variety of weapons.

Like many have mentioned,  Cook and Kincaid will be the focus of the offense's targets. The WR will be complementary pieces to the offense.

Brady couldn't or didn't want to get the ball to Diggs and Davis after he took over,  wondering if he can do anything with the new group.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

25 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Eh I wouldn’t go that far. There is some legit talent here. Kincaid and Shakir showed they belong at this level last year. Samuel has had some good seasons despite bad QB play. Coleman is a high draft pick

I wouldn’t say the room is “better” than last year, but I think the demise of the Bills has been grossly exaggerated 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, klos63 said:

To be fair, the Dolphins might have the best WR room in the league and we laugh at them anyway. 😅

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

In no universe have the Bills upgraded at WR heading into this season.  What is possible is that the downgrade isn’t as significant as it seems, because by the end of 2023 Diggs seemed washed and Davis failed to improve while facing tougher matchups.  

But to say they’ve improved is just wishful thinking.

Brady is going to have to get very creative especially with finding ways to attack outside the hash marks.  They have a slew of slot types including Kincaid (who the OP didn’t mention but who probably is the team’s hoped-for top passing option) and defenses are going to clog the middle of the field and force Allen to look for the less-favorable matchups on the boundary.  As of today they have a very raw Coleman and nothing else out there.  I expect some serious growing pains on offense to start the season.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Last year                This year

Diggs            >>>           Coleman

Davis             <           Samuel

Shakir           <           Shakir

Harty             =            Hollins

Sherfield        <<          MVS

Coleman is an unknown, but Diggs entering last year - by himself - makes last years WR room better.  

Now how Diggs played the last half of the season.. not so much. 

I give an edge to Samuel over Davis, an edge to this years Shakir over last year, Hollins and Harty are both ST guys who have had one decent receiving season and a big edge to MVS over Sherfield. 

No matter who is WR6, we actually have legitimate WR’s 1-5, whereas last year we had a one trick pony at WR2 a young slot that didn’t get featured in the offense until late and two scratch off tickets that flopped.  Diggs entered the season a Top 5 WR, but finished up the year being viewed as an aging Keenan Allen type… nice player, not someone to be featured.  

What makes you think that Samuel who signed a 3 year, $24 million contract is an improvement over Davis who signed a 3 year, $39 million contract?  In three more season played, Samuel has 650 more yards and 5 fewer TDs than Gabe.  I can see how he could be a better value at their respective price tags, but Davis got 63% more on the open market with nearly double the guaranteed money.

• Like (+1) 2

The fact that Josh won't have to stress feeding a diva all day, will be a positive.  Opposing defenses won't have a clue who to key on each week, another advantage. We are heavy on slot wrs so hopefully somebody steps up as the X?  Hoping Claypool makes the team and contributes. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Billl said:

What makes you think that Samuel who signed a 3 year, $24 million contract is an improvement over Davis who signed a 3 year, $39 million contract?

Because we've been watching Davis utterly fail to be on the same page as Allen for years now and it wasn't going to get better.

Samuel is smarter, a better athlete and a better ballplayer.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I admit that I didn’t like Coleman as their WR choice in the draft, but I’ll root for him to succeed.  I would not expect very much from him yet - he is young and needs to learn to run better routes to get open.  Hopefully, he can do that well enough to be a big contributor in 25.

This thing about seriously doubting Coleman because of speed is really getting to me.  Yeah, 4.61 stinks, although various reports indicate that he may actually be in the mid 4.5 range, but just look at the shots of him in the workouts.  The man is quick, strong, coordinated, very sharp making his moves and goes to the ball aggressively!  With his size and aggressiveness, when it comes to short and medium range targets, I fail to see how he can be shut down.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Billl said:

What makes you think that Samuel who signed a 3 year, $24 million contract is an improvement over Davis who signed a 3 year, $39 million contract?  In three more season played, Samuel has 650 more yards and 5 fewer TDs than Gabe.  I can see how he could be a better value at their respective price tags, but Davis got 63% more on the open market with nearly double the guaranteed money.

I think we finally have WR’s (Samuel being one) who can operate underneath and the mid-range downfield.

Davis is a luxury, not a chain mover and not a reliable game in/game out receiver. 

Generally speaking, I think most view Gabe as an overpay and Samuel (Brown for y’all too) as good value in this receiver market. 

Diggs was our underneath guy as he’s lost a deep step, but even then.. halfway through the season he was getting locked up most games underneath too. 

Shakir then became our only reliable option there and he started to step up in that role.

I think Samuel is much more what we need than Davis.  Maybe Gabe flourishes in Jax.. I don’t know, but it wasn’t going to happen here. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Billl said:

That's the Allen effect, not Davis's talent.

The year Samuel had Brady as his OC, he had a better statistical year than Davis has ever had...and that was with Teddy Bridgewater as his QB.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I've never heard Brady say anything to the effect that McD is breathing down his neck.  So I'm not sure what your source is for this.  

I agree, though, that Brady needs to get better.  I assume he was involved in some of the offseason WR moves and told McD and Beane what kind of receivers he wanted for his offense to work.

Allen has said that Brady is installing new concepts and it's like learning a new offense.  In other words, it doesn't sound like we'll see the same aerial attack this season that we saw at the end of last year.  There will be new players running new plays.  Without knowing more, it's hard to guess  how it'll all work out.  

What's interesting about all of this Brady love is that on one hand it's all his doing that we finished 6-1.  On the other hand, despite the lack and diminishment in offensive performance metrics and general scoring apart from two games, he was still running Dorsey's offense for the most part.  

As to McD, come on now, if you don't see that then you're not looking, or rather, turning the other way.  

As to your last statement, agreed, that's precisely what I was referring to.  If it doesn't change, then we're in trouble.  But even with the change, we've heard McD & Co. say that they want to run more.  

Part of stripping away the BS is tearing down false narratives.  

Such as ... 

- Cook finished strong.  No he didn't, he finished incredibly weak, bottom-dwelling in fact apart from a single game of his against a worn out team from their week prior and with us coming into the game as if it was our Super Bowl.  

- The offense was better under Brady.  Simply false, particularly considering the trend over the last few games where we averaged 19.3 PPG and against defenses that were far from good, all below-average, two well below average.  

- Diggs lost a step.  Also nonsense.  There's plenty of evidence to the contrary.  But he was used to run ridiculous patterns often, like bubble screen type stuff and crossing patterns at the LoS, of course his YPR is going to suffer.  But any thinking person would clearly see that that was clearly related to the issues between him and McD/Brady.  Otherwise, no player loses a step from one game to the next.  That narrative is built for fools.  This season will reveal more.  

There are others, but those are the bigger ones.  And when we factor in the whole complimentary football thing, which is McD's thing, it shouldn't be that difficult to connect the dots.  Not to mention, all of these things collectively not playing to Allen's core strengths.  

No matter how it's sliced, Allen's completion % dropped by 10 points and his rating dropped by over 10 points under Brady.  People can spin it any way that they want to, but there's absolutely no good angle there.  Until further notice, but we're not dealing with Bill Walsh or Don Coryell here, we're dealing with an OC in his first season, one that produced low-end production otherwise and who was fired mid-season in his second season in Carolina, and that Carolina association is also not insignificant.  Also one that's having to fit whatever his plans are under McD's complimentary football umbrella.  It bodes poorly.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

The year Samuel had Brady as his OC, he had a better statistical year than Davis has ever had...and that was with Teddy Bridgewater as his QB.

He also had 97 targets, no receiving talent on that team that was worth a turd besides Moore, and a 79.4% Catch%.  

How many targets do you see him getting here?  

Do you see him repeating that Catch%?  

Edited by PBF81

No way.

However it’s clear what they’re trying to do, and it could pay off without crippling them in the long run. 

Take a stab with Coleman this year, and if the likes of Shakir and Samuel cannot get it done, we’ll likely have an earlier first and two seconds next year to upgrade.

2025 WRs

1st round rookie?

Coleman

Samuel

Shakir

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable
  • Like (+1) 2