I'm really starting to love this WR room. We quietly got better

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Anyone think it’s possible we still add another WR before the deadline?

Cooper

Shakir

________

Coleman

Hollins

Samuel

Unsure of cap implications. 

Hopkins or Thielen would make sense IMO

I can’t see Sean McD plugging in two unfamiliar bodies at wide receiver in the middle of the year. He’s a guy who wants his players well versed in the system (in theory anyway) and as it stands I wouldn’t even be shocked at all if Cooper doesn’t play a ton on Sunday. 

Making another move would be welcome, but it would be a big departure from the way McBeane has done things since they’ve arrived. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Yobogoya! said:

I can’t see Sean McD plugging in two unfamiliar bodies at wide receiver in the middle of the year. He’s a guy who wants his players well versed in the system (in theory anyway) and as it stands I wouldn’t even be shocked at all if Cooper doesn’t play a ton on Sunday. 

Making another move would be welcome, but it would be a big departure from the way McBeane has done things since they’ve arrived. 

Coach thinks way to highly of his system.  The best coaches figure out how to utilize the best players. Full stop. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Yobogoya! said:

time to do just that.   

if we could somehow manage to get Hopkins or Thielen, Josh could have a very trustworthy target

39 minutes ago, FireChans said:

This ends this discussion right?

Beane admitted the WR room was a disaster when he dusted off John Brown and Cole Beasley’s corpses in 2022 midseason.

Now that he has traded for Cooper, that’s a similar admission that the group brought to camp WAS garbage, that the mantra of “everyone eats, we don’t need a #1 WR” was total spin zone to forget that Mack Hollins and co are not quality NFL receivers, etc etc.

The group got so much quietly better this offseason that after Beane took a $40M cap hit for a second round pick that he turned around in week 5 and gave away a third for an actual good WR.

It’s ova. 

All of this!! This was what we were fighting for. We weren’t trying to be negative for no reason. We were screaming out loud, “you need to get better at WR to compete for a title!!” I’m glad to know that Beane get the same way. 

FWIW, I’d STILL be open to adding Diontae Johnson if the cost to acquire him was cheap. This was a huge first step. They aren’t “good” yet but are at least average which may be enough. They needed a guy at the top of the depth chart and got that guy.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 4

45 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

Sean said during his presser today that he expects it will take Cooper a season or two to learn the system before he can trust him in the field... 

I kid, I kid... But seriously, he better be on the f'in field at least 70% of the time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

It was never about being better immediately. It was about moving on from guys they needed to and resetting the room, which can take more than just one season.

Diggs was a malcontent and forced himself off the roster. Davis was going to get paid way more than he deserved.

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

Sean said during his presser today that he expects it will take Cooper a season or two to learn the system before he can trust him in the field... 

I kid, I kid... But seriously, he better be on the f'in field at least 70% of the time.

He is not going to be on the field 70% of the time week 1. I'm sure he'll learn a package of plays, but there is no way he'll be fully ready in less than a week.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

All of this!! This was what we were fighting for. We weren’t trying to be negative for no reason. We were screaming out loud, “you need to get better at WR to compete for a title!!” I’m glad to know that Beane get the same way. 

FWIW, I’d STILL be open to adding Diontae Johnson if the cost to acquire him was cheap. This was a huge first step. They aren’t “good” yet but are at least average which may be enough. They needed a guy at the top of the depth chart and got that guy.

Man, if only there was this really smart guy who wanted to trade for DJ last year pre-draft AND post-draft.

If only if only 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

time to do just that.   

if we could somehow manage to get Hopkins or Thielen, Josh could have a very trustworthy target

We literally just acquired Amari Cooper like a few hours ago and you're still talking about moves for more WR's. Reminds me of when we signed Leonard Floyd and you were talking about adding not one, but two more DE's on top of him immediately. Like take a day or two and be happy with what we have done - geesh! This ain't Madden.

No way I see us doing TWO trades. With them releasing MVS to make room for him instead of somewhere else says to me that 5 WR's is the max they're going with. They aren't releasing any of Shakir, Samuel (because of the long term financial commitment made to him), Coleman, or Hollins. And having 2 WR's learning the playbook midseason and giving up more Draft capital then we already have - I just don't see it.

The *only* one that I can even remotely see being done is if Jacksonville decides they just want to give away Gabe Davis at the deadline. Bc he has chemistry with Josh, knows the system for the most part, and everyone in the building. Even then, I think it would require an injury to someone and Beane willing to take on whatever hit he has next season and whatever it would take to get out from underneath it after that. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19

13 minutes ago, MJS said:

It was never about being better immediately. It was about moving on from guys they needed to and resetting the room, which can take more than just one season.

Diggs was a malcontent and forced himself off the roster. Davis was going to get paid way more than he deserved.

He is not going to be on the field 70% of the time week 1. I'm sure he'll learn a package of plays, but there is no way he'll be fully ready in less than a week.

Well then he better be on the field for 170% of plays! 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/23/2024 at 8:09 AM, JerseyBills said:

Lets just start with the top 5 WRs, Bills just dropped a video yesterday or the day before , so pretty much confirmed our top 5..

Last year                This year

Diggs                       Coleman

Davis                        Samuel

Shakir                       Shakir

Harty                         Hollins

Sherfield                   MVS

There's obviously a huge question mark with Coleman, as with any rookie WR but should be dynamic in this O. 

I'm huge on Shakir, I really think he's going to be a stud this year and eclipse 1k yards. 

Huge fan of Samuel,  he does it all, you can put this guy anywhere, including the backfield and he's explosive and makes plays and that was on a terrible O with terrible QB play. Skys the limit, loved the signing. 

Hollins is interesting but he's an elite run blocker , which Brady has shown,  we're running the ball, bottom line , and not a great year statistically last year but I could see him having his 22 season where he put up 57 rec 690 yards 4 TDs. This was Gabe his first 2 years and this is his replacement for much cheaper. Plus he's a certified leader..

MVS , yes the drops and statistically wasn't great in the regular season but you can argue he's the reason KC won the SB. In our game he had 62 yards, 17 more yards than Kincaid who was our top guy w 45 yards. Would've loved to have him in January last year. Made huge big , long catches. Meanwhile Diggs is dropping wide open TDs which win us that game.. 

And at 6 , Claypool, Hamler, Shorter etc will fight it out 

Bottom line , this is a much deeper WR group. Harty/Sherfield were busts, they were awful. And with Gabe injured vs KC, it showed how weak our depth was. No offense,  but I never want to see Andy Isabella playing in a playoff game and that won't happen again with the depth added. Sherfield/Harty also had no business being out there. 

Obviously Coleman is a huge key to this group and puzzle but I see no reason he can't be the guy we expect him to be. Plus Kincaid year 2. Cook year 3. Upgraded RB room

This is going to be a fun O to watch. Probably the best we've seen with Allen because of WR depth, elite RB/TE and Brady calling plays

*Not to crap on Diggs, I really admire his game and intensity, I have him as my profile picture but the fact that Beane ate 30+ mil and took a future 2, clearly they thought he was just to disruptive in the locker room, as a leader. The Cincy game leaving his teammates,  as a captain, speaks volumes.

McBeane has built this team on family and doing your 1/11th on o and d and Diggs just didn't fit that culture. Good luck but good riddance 

* MOST COMPLETE O IN THE GAME,  EASYYYYYYYY

this post has not aged well

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, NoName said:

The general issue when trying to predict performance and hinging on growth/improvement/whathadbeendoneprior is it all based on only the positive not that things could regress or be worse for players. If you were optimistic about this group like this poster was preseason it was based on the idea of Shakir/Kincaid both evolving into stronger larger roles, Samuel reverting to good years prior, Coleman having a really solid rookie year, and MVS/Mack improving back to one off seasons they were better. It ignores the idea of plateauing or regression which unfortunately with Kincaid the regression is quite real, Samuel I think everyone thought would be better but that does happen with FA signings, & MVS/Mack honestly are what they are and it is not surprisingly they have had a small impact especially MVS who is cut now. I call it Perfect World Syndrome where you base all predictions on everything going best case scenario while ignoring reality that some things can and will go sideways or fail. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

time to do just that.   

I doubt another 'name' receiver would fit into the 2024 budget.  Bean and the Bills are building for long-term success, so it's unlikely they're going to be looking at more aging WRs or one year rentals in hopes of getting to the show. They've already lost head to head matchups with the Texans and Ravens - 2 teams that will probably be seeded higher come playoff time.  

If the Bills don't have a complete collapse, they should coast to a division title and playoff berth. But I don't see them as serious super bowl contenders. That said, hope they hold on to the rest of their 2025 draft picks (or parlay some into higher picks) and continue building for the future with their star QB anchoring the team.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Anyone think it’s possible we still add another WR before the deadline?

Cooper

Shakir

________

Coleman

Hollins

Samuel

Unsure of cap implications. 

Hopkins or Thielen would make sense IMO

I think it depends on their expectations of Samuel returning to health. If he does, then we have:

WR1 Cooper (X)

WR2 Shakir (Y/Z)

WR3 Samuel (Y/Z)

WR4 Coleman

WR5 Hollins

I am happy with that. If Samuel is expected to be hobbled the whole season, then I’d want the Bills to keep looking at the trade market. It’s easier to find a Y/Z than an X so that would help. 

• Like (+1) 2

Coleman is good at contested catches but has a limited route tree, they do not use Samuel like I envisioned - Shakir and Kincaid run the same routes and compete for targets. The MVS deep threat never materialized. They target Hollins when it should be Samuel.. I hope Cooper opens up this offense more

Edited by Strethor
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Well I feel like now it applies.

We basically swapped Diggs , a 3 and next year 7 for Cooper, a 2 and a 6th..

I definitely meant every word and thought it would look different but unfortunately it didn't. Teams been killing us with man, single high S, can't do that anymore, Coop should open this O up big time 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

We literally just acquired Amari Cooper like a few hours ago and you're still talking about moves for more WR's. Reminds me of when we signed Leonard Floyd and you were talking about adding not one, but two more DE's on top of him immediately. Like take a day or two and be happy with what we have done - geesh! This ain't Madden.

No way I see us doing TWO trades. With them releasing MVS to make room for him instead of somewhere else says to me that 5 WR's is the max they're going with. They aren't releasing any of Shakir, Samuel (because of the long term financial commitment made to him), Coleman, or Hollins. And having 2 WR's learning the playbook midseason and giving up more Draft capital then we already have - I just don't see it.

The *only* one that I can even remotely see being done is if Jacksonville decides they just want to give away Gabe Davis at the deadline. Bc he has chemistry with Josh, knows the system for the most part, and everyone in the building. Even then, I think it would require an injury to someone and Beane willing to take on whatever hit he has next season and whatever it would take to get out from underneath it after that. 

I agree with some of this but I don't see the number of WRs set in stone at 5.

I'm guessing it was more about our particular circumstance.  MVS was only nominally better than our practice squad receivers, or the WRs available on other PSs.  What point would be served by wasting a 53-man roster spot on a PS quality player? 

On the other hand, if we had 6 good, contributing WRs, I think Beane and McD would go with six.