I'm really starting to love this WR room. We quietly got better

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Just so we're clear with why projections like this don't work. Football isn't played on a spread sheet, this isn't baseball or basketball.

Let's look at the pace now

Josh Allen is on pace for 445 attempts through 5 games.

Target breakdowns:

Cook  - 44.2

Shakir  - 64

Samuel - 44.2

Coleman - 54.4

Knox - 17

Kincaid - 81.6

MVS - 30.6

Mack - 57.8

YPT on the year so far:

Cook - 10.9 (479.6)

Shakir - 12.1 (774.4)

Samuel - 3.7 (163.5)

Coleman - 10.9 (594)

Knox - 6.0 (102)

Kincaid - 6.9 (563)

MVS - 2.9 (88.74)

Mack - 4.3 (248.5)

That puts Josh at a whopping 3013.74 yards passing. Which would be the second lowest total of his career, just in front of 2018 (he only played 11 games that season). That would have been smack dab between Russell Wilson and Bryce Young last year for a passing total.

He has basically missed a whole game out of a 5 game season so far by his team running out the clock with a big lead/pulling him in a blowout win or loss too though.  I feel like that’s worth noting at this early stage as it’s pretty statistically significant in this small of a sample size 

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

He has basically missed a whole game out of a 5 game season so far by his team running out the clock with a big lead/pulling him in a blowout win or loss too though.  I feel like that’s worth noting at this early stage as it’s pretty statistically significant in this small of a sample size 

Exactly.

That's why projections based on years past YPT and average pass attempts don't work. Projections now would say that Josh Allen will basically have barely a better year than Bryce Young did last year. That likely won't be the case and there's a million reasons why.

Just like it was never going to be the case that Josh was going to throw for 4500 yards with this group on the lowest attempt total he's had since 2019. It's faulty analysis.

22 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

Again and that’s the GMs fault for not staggering the release of those players, putting the team in said cap hell and not finding young talent via FA or The draft. 

"Again" what? Not sure if you were reading what i was saying, but I laid the blame for the result of the season at Beane's feet. I said it's not unexpected for there to be rebuilding years, but they're always going to lie about it when they have a top QB. The Patriots had rebuild years, Baltimore has, KC will too.

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Two consecutive plays from last night that sum up this group of pass catchers:

Nobody is even close to open on at least half of our pass plays. Beane failed his QB and owes it to his team to find a solution.

Is it sustainable to win games with no receiver having more than 3 catches ever?

6 minutes ago, Success said:

Re: receiver separation - is that ALL on the players?

I see KC with a less than stellar group of wideouts, and yet guys are almost always open.  

Speed.  Their receivers play much faster than our group from what I can tell.  When our offense is spinning its wheels I always feel like I'm watching a team in slow motion.  But, I do agree our coaching staff is below the qulity of the Chiefs' coaching staff.

Edited by Murdox
  • Like (+1) 2

the talent is obviously really weak, but the lack of play action, the zero ability to run a screen, and the amount of time that coleman, shakir, and kinkaid are not on the field really don't help matters.

samuel is a net zero so far, but he's also set up to fail.  you see the issues with coleman running really lack luster clear outs and stuff, but there has to be a way to get the offense to operate in a more efficient way.  we saw signs of it last night vs last week, efficiency was much higher in the face of bad penalties and facing a good d, but they lost their cb2, and we really didn't make any money off of it.

i think there will be improvements, but adding cooper would put those improvements on ez mode.

18 minutes ago, Success said:

Re: receiver separation - is that ALL on the players?

I see KC with a less than stellar group of wideouts, and yet guys are almost always open.  

It is some of both I am sure. Brady obviously is not Andy Reid. But the players just need to be better too. On that first play I posted, Kincaid if he was playing smarter would cut off his route in that giant hole of space and make an easy target for his QB. That's what Kelce would do. Instead he keeps running all the way into the safety and basically gives himself up to the coverage. I'm willing to lay some of the blame on the coaching for not having the players understand these little nuances. So it is a combination of players not executing, uncreative scheme and play calling, and a lack of coaching the fine details. Only one of those issues is fixable in-season so hopefully Beane does what's necessary.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Ideally a true #1 receiver but I'm not optimistic it will happen in Buffalo. If I'm given a choice of paying a #1 receiver $35 million a year vs paying 2 near top linemen with $17.5 million each to protect Josh on every play, I'll choose the latter. Ideal world is we draft such a receiver so we get 4-5 years of that performance without paying thru the nose.

Currently this team needs a speed guy on the outside to push a safety deeper. A guy like a John Brown in his prime. The Bills think they have that guy in MVS, but so far he has not panned out.

Coleman is OK thus far, par expectation. They are giving him a lot of snaps hoping for some improvement in the 2nd half of the season. Collins logged most snaps among receivers but he's really a below average WR in this league as far as receiving options, and it shows. 

7 minutes ago, colin said:

i think there will be improvements, but adding cooper would put those improvements on ez mode

Cooper would not solve all of our problems but he would absolutely open up our vertical passing offense, and that alone would have a snowball effect on all of our other problems. Scare defenses vertically and we'll pull them out of cover 1. Then all the underneath stuff theoretically will open up again.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Cooper would not solve all of our problems but he would absolutely open up our vertical passing offense, and that alone would have a snowball effect on all of our other problems. Scare defenses vertically and we'll pull them out of cover 1. Then all the underneath stuff theoretically will open up again.

I always saw the MVS signing 2 weeks post-draft as their desperation move acknowledging the lack of a deep threat.  It was as pathetic then as it is now.

Hard to take a leadership group seriously that assumed this offensive strategy would work for an entire season using these WR/TE/RB.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1