I'm really starting to love this WR room. We quietly got better

27 minutes ago, zow2 said:

When you have a QB as good as Allen, he will make all the receivers better for sure.  He raises everyone up.

They made a big deal on ESPN this morning when Allen said in his presser that "it's wonderful to have players who don't care about their stat line and TD's"  They said it was pretty much throwing Diggs under the bus and running him over.  It certainly wasn't malicious, but that's what the national media took away, that Diggs was really a pain in the a$$ for Josh and the offense.  Probably why they moved away from him late last season.

I think what it shows is that we sometimes forget that so much time has gone by and now Allen is the veteran presence in the huddle. He simply doesn’t need the security blanket or the training wheels anymore. He knows what he’s doing and seeing from the defense and his WRs now all know that he knows. 

10 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Dan Lebatard Show was ripping the Dolphins and McDaniels.  Chris Cote said " if he the genius were told why do we still have Skylar Thompson and no plan?"

We all know McDaniel has flaws as a coach.  But when people call him a genius, they mean with Xs and Os.  

And I'm sure  McDaniel has a plan.  I'm also sure he hasn't told Chris Cote what the plan is. 

But what is McD supposed to do?  He's not a medical genius and can't cure Tua of his concussions.  And he's not the GM and can't poop out a QB. 

Whatever the plan is, it's not going to be a great one.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

In statistics, they call it Dispersion. The Bills have high dispersion in pass targets and it leads to winning. If you have low dispersion in pass targets, you don't do so well.

Case study, the Bills win over the Jaguars versus the Texans loss to the Vikings. Check out the reception statistics for both games, look at the numerical beauty in the stats. The Bills will have a successful season with multiple receiver targets. Who needs an iconic WR1?

bills.png

texans.png

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm encouraged what I've seen so far.  However, we've faced three pedestrian defenses and the Jags secondary is a JV squad at the moment.  There's been numerous times since 2020 where we needed a WR to get open in man coverage in the "gotta have it" situations near the end of games (I know he dropped it in the KC game).  Diggs was that guy 9 out of 10 times.  That's where the skill set lost with Diggs at concerns me.  We're going to be in some close games against some good defenses and that will be the real test of this new receiving "everybody eats" crew.

Diggs was that guy 9 out of 10 times when he lined up in the slot to do it. Now, that is what Shakir does from the slot, and I'd rather have Shakir doing it from the slot than Diggs doing it from the slot at the relative price of each.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, mrags said:

5 catches for 75 yards in 3 games. Omg. Get this kid a HOF bust now 

This is a thread about if the WR room is actually better. If you can’t stay on topic don’t bother posting. 

Such a bitter guy. Enjoy the winning if you can. I have my doubts, you don't seem to like the Buffalo BIlls very much

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm encouraged what I've seen so far.  However, we've faced three pedestrian defenses and the Jags secondary is a JV squad at the moment.  There's been numerous times since 2020 where we needed a WR to get open in man coverage in the "gotta have it" situations near the end of games (I know he dropped it in the KC game).  Diggs was that guy 9 out of 10 times.  That's where the skill set lost with Diggs at concerns me.  We're going to be in some close games against some good defenses and that will be the real test of this new receiving "everybody eats" crew.

I'm not disagreeing, Doc, but I thought the emphasis on the Jag's crappy play was overdone last night.

Jax only gave up 20 to Tua and the Fins.  They gave up 18 to the Browns.  Yeah, they were missing a couple of CBs.  But next man up - that's what the Bills do.  And the Jags had Walker and Hines-Allen.  Where were they?  

The Bills put on a clinic.  

Still, it'll be interesting to see how successful Brady will be scheming against elite defenses.  

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Smh bro that is all that was needed, who cares if they had 0 yards,when your o puts up 40+ and leads the league in scoring.  

Your boy Diggs went 10/92 and they scored 7 or 10 points? 

Is he okay with being a decoy, or getting dirty in the blocking game. Not everything will be on the stat sheet like we seen with the Cook TD last week on 4th down where 2 WRs ran routes simply to cause traffic. And executed perfectly. 

Wait til the all 22 guys start posting, I'm sure we'll see similar plays.

Bottom line- leading scoring in the game,  completely selfless group and our once in a lifetime QB is a happy dude. Clearly excelling with these weapons 

He's able to go out there and be a point guard and man as a whole this O has been beautiful to watch, and dominant

I’ve said multiple times that Diggs needed to go. 

Funny seeing people pound their chests 3 weeks into the season about the ensemble WR approach definitively being the right call.  Especially because those WR's in 3 games have produced 30 catches for 350 yards (11.7 avg) 4 TDs, a long of 28 yards and only Shakir is over 50 yards per game receiving (56).  

Hardly the objective evidence that something is definitively working.  Solid beat downs are great, but the personalities here ripping people's off-season opinions after 3 games...:lol:.  

• Eyeroll 2

20 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Diggs was that guy 9 out of 10 times when he lined up in the slot to do it. Now, that is what Shakir does from the slot, and I'd rather have Shakir doing it from the slot than Diggs doing it from the slot at the relative price of each.

.........and the fact that Shakir actually makes a play for some YAC (and succeeds).

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Has that concept been proven ill conceived yet though?   I don't see the point in drafting 2 EVERY draft but maybe during a great draft for WR prospects it's a good idea.   

Do you remember a poster last season stating that "(Spencer Brown) simply does not have the feet to be a complete OT in the modern NFL and is never going to."  

That poster, of course, was you........and is an example of an ill conceived notion that has already been debunked.    The takes on WR?   Not yet debunked.   It's premature to act like they have been just because the Bills as a team are having some lopsided early season victories yet again.  

I don’t know if @Simonsaid that or not given how often you misquote and mischaracterize people’s previous posts around here.  

But why do you always play this game and try and deflect accountability for your own takes that are wrong or not looking so hot?  Like this has nothing to do with this thread.  And if you think you are special and don’t have your own closet full of bad takes people can cash receipts on you are sorely mistaken.

The one thing that I do agree with, it’s still early, nothing is definitively proven yet and never was going to be, good or bad, after 3 weeks.  Teams will get more tape and we will see if they can find ways to disrupt this new look offense or not.  But undoubtedly it’s off to a resoundingly impressive start and Brady’s offense is unquestionably netting better results for 12 games now.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Funny seeing people pound their chests 3 weeks into the season about the ensemble WR approach definitively being the right call.  Especially because those WR's in 3 games have produced 30 catches for 350 yards (11.7 avg) 4 TDs, a long of 28 yards and only Shakir is over 50 yards per game receiving (56).  

Hardly the objective evidence that something is definitively working.  Solid beat downs are great, but the personalities here ripping people's off-season opinions after 3 games...:lol:.  

Weird…last I checked the Bills play NFL football, not FFL.  

Only stats that matter are on the scoreboard.  

I find it hilarious that you want to talk about individual stat totals when in week 1 Josh completed only 18 passes and to NINE different players, week 2 we ran the ball to a blowout win that the offense killed clock for a half…and week 3 Josh completed passes to Ten…let me say again…TEN…that’s 10…different players and again the offense had to kill clock for almost an entire half because it was lopsided.  

But you want to talk about individuals stat totals as a counter point?  You literally couldn’t pick a worse approach to trying to downplay the first 3 games of the everybody eats philosophy.  

But hey, it is only 3 games, a lot of football left, so you’re not wrong about that.  We need to see how Brady and the offense handle stiffer tests when those teams have more film on this offense before we know what we really have or don’t have here.   

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

53 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Weird…last I checked the Bills play NFL football, not FFL.  

Only stats that matter are on the scoreboard.  

I find it hilarious that you want to talk about individual stat totals when in week 1 Josh completed only 18 passes and to NINE different players, week 2 we ran the ball to a blowout win that the offense killed clock for a half…and week 3 Josh completed passes to Ten…let me say again…TEN…that’s 10…different players and again the offense had to kill clock for almost an entire half because it was lopsided.  

But you want to talk about individuals stat totals as a counter point?  You literally couldn’t pick a worse approach to trying to downplay the first 3 games of the everybody eats philosophy.  

But hey, it is only 3 games, a lot of football left, so you’re not wrong about that.  We need to see how Brady and the offense handle stiffer tests when those teams have more film on this offense before we know what we really have or don’t have here.   

I don't play fantasy football...so not sure what point you're trying to make.   

But let's talk about the numbers on the scoreboard and in the standings.  These are the last 3 seasons' starts:

2021: 4-1 and +108 point differential / then 7-5 and +86 to finish 11-6

2022: 5-1 and +95 / then 8-2 and +74 to finish 13-3

2023:  3-1 and +84 / then 8-5 and +56 to finish 11-6

Absolutely hilarious you're claiming to take a wait and see approach, yet haranguing anyone and everyone who espouses a different viewpoint about what they did with the WR room.  

All anyone can take away right now is the the new-look ensemble offense has been good against 3 teams that are 2-4 against teams not the Bills and 2-7 overall.  

18 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

But let's talk about the numbers on the scoreboard and in the standings.  These are the last 3 seasons' starts:

Absolutely hilarious you're claiming to take a wait and see approach, yet haranguing anyone and everyone who espouses a different viewpoint about what they did with the WR room.  

All anyone can take away right now is the the new-look ensemble offense has been good against 3 teams that are 2-4 against teams not the Bills and 2-7 overall.  

To be fair...

This thread was quite the crap show. You shouldn't be surprised people are coming for receipts, because some of the takes in this thread had the Bills with historically bad receivers, no chance at winning, etc. And they were MEAN about it, too...like, "you're stupid if you don't agree" And yet, three games into the season Josh has a 133 QB rating and the Bills have scored FOURTEEN touchdowns...or double that of over half the league

Edited by Mikey152
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

I guess it's how you evaluate the production.

To exaggerate a bit, Dorsey offensive approach was to have Josh throw downfield to Diggs.  And if the OL wasn't giving Josh enough time to throw... well, it was on Josh to find a way to make it work.

Brady's approach is everyone eats.  The backs will both run and catch.  Josh will get some runs as well. Both Kincaid and Knox will get targets.  As will all five of the wideouts.  

I don't think our WR production is comparitively low because they suck.  I think their production is low by design.  The encouraging sign is that they've been efficient.  Josh has a good rating throwing to them and they haven't been dropping balls as often as our wideouts in the past.  They're effectively playing the role Brady is asking them to play.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Has that concept been proven ill conceived yet though?   I don't see the point in drafting 2 EVERY draft but maybe during a great draft for WR prospects it's a good idea.   

Do you remember a poster last season stating that "(Spencer Brown) simply does not have the feet to be a complete OT in the modern NFL and is never going to."  

That poster, of course, was you........and is an example of an ill conceived notion that has already been debunked.    The takes on WR?   Not yet debunked.   It's premature to act like they have been just because the Bills as a team are having some lopsided early season victories yet again.  

Thread about WRs- Yet you bring up a take on Spencer Brown to show how someone can have an incorrect take.  Everyone has incorrect takes.  Some are man enough to admit being wrong.  Some are not. 

You agreed with the notion that this is the worst WR unit we’ve had in 40+ years.  That’s in THIS thread.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Im not “haranguing” anyone and I challenge you to find one post I have made about our 3-0 start that has lectured anyone about anything related to the 3-0 start.  I have said in every post it’s early and still lot of football left and nothing has been proven in 3 games. 

So yeah, you’re barking up the wrong tree with this take.