I'm really starting to love this WR room. We quietly got better

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don’t many top tier WRs that are ok not being the primary target on a regular basis.  

This is working because it doesn’t have that lead dog WR.  It’s the open guy, no one cares about targets, everyone has 100% bought in to all the dirty work.  

No way JaMar Chase would be happy in a role where he is just like any other guy on the field and needs to block like Mack Hollins more times than he will get targets.  

Chemistry and the sum of the parts trumps the talent of one WR in this regard.

And honestly, how could this be working any better than it already is?  We are blowing people out and coasting the entire second half 2 weeks in a row now after putting up 31 points in 31 minutes to beat the Cardinals week 1.

2 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

The chemistry of the offense we have and how important that appears to be in our success, so the moves they made have made this offense much better this year.  

The thread is about did we get better or worse and why.  We got better.  

All this can be true and even more so with better WRs. Just because we are “better” as a whole on offense doesn’t mean we wouldn’t be even better if we had a stud WR. 

and that doesn’t mean we need a head case like Diggs or a ball hungry player like Chase. You guys do know that some WRs are just good and don’t have to be those things right. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, mrags said:

All this can be true and even more so with better WRs. Just because we are “better” as a whole on offense doesn’t mean we wouldn’t be even better if we had a stud WR. 

and that doesn’t mean we need a head case like Diggs or a ball hungry player like Chase. You guys do know that some WRs are just good and don’t have to be those things right. 

That's not really the point of thread.  Yes. We can still upgrade. 

This thread is about did we get better from 2023. 

Edited by TBBills Fan

7 minutes ago, mrags said:

I honestly can’t think of a top tier WR who I would believe would be ok getting 1-3 targets and have to block a ton many games a season.  

Doesn’t mean they are Divas, just saying elite WRs have a different expectation.  And do we really need to pay a $25+ million WR to get 900 yards in this style of spread the ball around offense when all these guys on the field are capable of doing that too?

And I also think you don’t realize just how elite Mack Hollins has been as a blocker and how many of our TDs this year both running and receiving he made big blocks on to make possible.

Just my 2 cents

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I honestly can’t think of a top tier WR who I would believe would be ok getting 1-3 targets and have to block a ton many games a season.  

Doesn’t mean they are Divas, just saying elite WRs have a different expectation.  And do we really need to pay a $25+ million WR to get 900 yards in this style of spread the ball around offense when all these guys on the field are capable of doing that too?

And I also think you don’t realize just how elite Mack Hollins has been as a blocker and how many of our TDs this year both running and receiving he made big blocks on to make possible.  

Well, that’s where I would say to draft more WRs so that you hope to find them on rookie deals. And just like this team seems to do with RBs. Keep drafting them and let them walk as their contract expires. 

and I really don’t care how “elite” any WR is at blocking. I think that’s a terrible way to plan your offense. But hey, seems to be working right now not much I can say. But I will say I’d feel a lot better about having a very good WR in a shootout against a team like KC like we’ve been in every single year in the playoffs, vs a guy that blocks well. 

1 minute ago, mrags said:

Well, that’s where I would say to draft more WRs so that you hope to find them on rookie deals. And just like this team seems to do with RBs. Keep drafting them and let them walk as their contract expires. 

and I really don’t care how “elite” any WR is at blocking. I think that’s a terrible way to plan your offense. But hey, seems to be working right now not much I can say. But I will say I’d feel a lot better about having a very good WR in a shootout against a team like KC like we’ve been in every single year in the playoffs, vs a guy that blocks well. 

Im not saying not to draft anymore WRs, and I’m not saying only sign guys who block.  

What I am saying that what we are seeing is a sum of all the parts and the chemistry they have on the field is what is the engine of this offense right now.  And I am not so sure if you take out one of those pieces and add in someone who demands the ball more it actually makes it work better.  

Just my 2 cents

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Im not saying not to draft anymore WRs, and I’m not saying only sign guys who block.  

What I am saying that what we are seeing is a sum of all the parts and the chemistry they have on the field is what is the engine of this offense right now.  And I am not so sure if you take out one of those pieces and add in someone who demands the ball more it actually makes it work better.  

Just my 2 cents

Keon was basically a 1st round pick. Do we feel he demands more playing time or more targets? 

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Just my 2 cents

There will be games where Shakir, Keon and Kincaid will have to carry our offense. Just because we haven’t seen it yet doesn’t mean that it won’t happen.. I’m sure it will.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, mrags said:

and I really don’t care how “elite” any WR is at blocking

You should.  This is a pretty big tell-on-yourself moment.  Shanahan is a hardass about blocking because of both the physicality element and the way it opens up YAC/scoring opportunities downfield.  And defenders do NOT like guarding a big body when every other play said receiver is seeking out and maintaining contact til the whistle.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Avisan said:

You should.  This is a pretty big tell-on-yourself moment.  Shanahan is a hardass about blocking because of both the physicality element and the way it opens up YAC/scoring opportunities downfield.  And defenders do NOT like guarding a big body when every other play said receiver is seeking out and maintaining contact til the whistle.

🎯🎯🎯🎯🎯🎯🎯🎯🎯🎯🎯🎯🎯🎯🎯

18 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Just my 2 cents

Excellent take

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Avisan said:

Yeah I’d still rather employ WRs to catch the ball. 

27 minutes ago, Simon said:

We need some better competition first for that, imo.

But it's enough to keep the chicken littles quiet in the hen house.

Don’t disagree…and thats why I said we are getting close to that point, but not quite there yet :) 

Edited by Alphadawg7

14 minutes ago, mrags said:

Yeah I’d still rather employ WRs to catch the ball. 

Well then you are in luck as Bills have zero drops and Allen is completing 75% of his passes in 3 games with 9 TDs and no Ints and no passes even close to an INT.  

Allen has completed 34 of 34 passes in a row to Shakir, not even a throw away.  

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, mrags said:

Keon was basically a 1st round pick. Do we feel he demands more playing time or more targets? 

No, Keon was a 2nd round pick.  The best thing about these Bills is PT is earned not demanded by prima donna wideouts.  

This receiver group is far superior to last year.  These receivers actually catch the football and don’t sulk when they aren’t the focus of the offense.  I think you’d be wise to see how things develop over the season, but this group is quietly dominating.  Shakir is on pace for about 80 catches for 1000 yards and 11 TDs.  

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, mrags said:

Then you end up drafting less guys like Benford, Bernard, Kincaid, Brown, etc and don't have as good a roster and aren't as good a team because of it.

The more resources you dump into one position that relies on everybody else for success, the weaker your team is going to be.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2