I'm really starting to love this WR room. We quietly got better

27 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I realize people are going to complain all year about this because they will refuse to accept what Brady will be doing with the offense.  He is going to run the ball more, he is going to use a lot of different receivers, and Josh will go to the open guy.  And the open guy will vary within games and from game to game based on the defense.

We saw this last year when the offense started to click and when Diggs got less touches.  We’ve seen it the first two games.  And it’s working. 

So complain if you want.  I like having twilight victories with over 30 points per game.  But that’s just me.

I don't mind Josh going to the open guy.  What I mind is when Josh passes up several open guys to take a very much lower probability throw that's a "kill shot" if he makes it, and kills the drive if he doesn't.

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

I don't mind Josh going to the open guy.  What I mind is when Josh passes up several open guys to take a very much lower probability throw that's a "kill shot" if he makes it, and kills the drive if he doesn't.

I get that.  And I’m sure Brady hits that in film review.

7 hours ago, zow2 said:

The only negative last night is what happened to Samuel, Hollins, Keon and MVS?!?   On the replays these guys were not getting separation downfield.  And the one deep pass to MVS, the ball landed in the perfect spot right where MVS should have been (not sure why he did a spinorama to miss it).

I'm starting to think the talking heads on TV are right about out WRs and maybe the Bills should trade for a Davonte Adams or a legit WR. 

If Xavier Worthy has a game vs Cincinnati, the gap between him and Keon will continue to widen. 

If this is your take coming out of this game, I'm sorry but you don't know football

4 hours ago, zman44 said:

Week 1 PFF rankings agree with the lack of separation issue and I didn’t see anything in the limited week 2 reps to dispel this yet.  Going to be interested in tracking this all year:

image.thumb.jpeg.5bbd05dffbfc8fd99ae929f85cee2ee5.jpeg

So the Bills have poor separation in week 1 just like those other teams with questionable receiver rooms, the 49er's and Rams? 

Sometimes you need to just step back and look at data and see if it makes any sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Beck Water said:

You'll have a happier life if you stop looking over the fence into the neighbor's field and performing comparative analysis of his pasture quality.  In the two games we played, the Bills have 59 rush attempts (58%) to 42 pass attempts (42%).  

The reason is, the Dolphins were vulnerable against the run, and Joe Brady seems to live by the mantra "if it's working, we're gonna keep doing it until you stop it".  So he kept running.  You can see this in the fact that Knox (who can block in-line and downfield) actually had more snap counts than Kincaid (whose blocking is improving, but still mostly limited to being in the right place at the right time and giving a little shove.

Look at the snap counts, which are out already.  They're interesting.  91% is "I played the whole game" because they pulled the starters after that.  Keon Coleman basically didn't come off the field until they pulled the starters at the end.  I would love to know what routes he was running because unlike Hollins, who had the second highest snap count among the WR, Keon is not in there to block.  He can block, but like any rookie he's learning how it's done in the Big Leagues.

Samuel saw 12 snaps in last night's game.  MVS saw 4.  So I'm not sure where you're seeing "they didn't get separation downfield" because, they were barely on the field, and sometimes when they were, they did; MVS had separation on a dangerous off-platform pass from Allen which he shouldn't have thrown.

Great post!

RE: Samuel - I think some of it is gameplan specific, but I also think they’re trying to limit his snaps to give his turf toe the best chance to heal fully. 

21 minutes ago, Cash said:

Great post!

RE: Samuel - I think some of it is gameplan specific, but I also think they’re trying to limit his snaps to give his turf toe the best chance to heal fully. 

Thanks!  I will note that Simon expressed that he sees strong blocking out of Keon and believes he has the confidence of the coaches, so maybe Keon is there to block.

I think one concern may be limiting what Josh has to do with his left hand somewhat - if he's handing the ball off, there's less chance of Stuff Happening?

17 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Thanks!  I will note that Simon expressed that he sees strong blocking out of Keon and believes he has the confidence of the coaches, so maybe Keon is there to block.

I think one concern may be limiting what Josh has to do with his left hand somewhat - if he's handing the ball off, there's less chance of Stuff Happening?

After Hollins Coleman is our next best blocking reveiver. So even though he is still learning he is already better at it than Shakir, Samuel and MVS and that is contributing to the snap counts.

35 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

His hand definitely limits the ball fakes out of play action/rpo so the run calls are going to be more straightforward until he's healed