I'm really starting to love this WR room. We quietly got better

2 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

No when we are down by a score with 2 minutes left in the game and we need a consistent target to move the ball down the field and defense can't stop them

Considering we scored to end the half and then scored to start the next half, I’d say we faired pretty well throwing to Cook, Coleman and Shakir on those drives.

This is also game one of the new era.  I happen to love how hard Shakir plays and think he is going to be Josh’s go to receiver, but Keon had an excellent debut.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Not sure what's up with the play calling but Kincaid was underutilized today as was Shakir. But player performance was great today as a group. I think we will be just fine this year on offense. The defense on the other hand...

• Eyeroll 1

44 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don’t know for sure, but I’m thinking maybe it had a lot to do with blocking as it seemed Keon, Hollins and Knox were out there a lot (Keon actually led the team in snap %).  We really out muscled them once we stopped shooting ourselves in the foot.  

So without seeing the All-22, my premature guess is it was just flow of the game as we seemed to play a much more physical game and something the Cardinals were not good at last year either.  

This is one of the best rebuttals to the "we have no weapons" crowd. Our run game still looks good. Everyone blocks, even Kincaid. Hope he's more involved going forward. 

Nice game from the rook. Josh maybe doesn't get 4th and 2 if Keon isn't pushing that corner 5-7 back off the line down the right side. 

Edited by VW82
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I'm concerned about the offense because I'm concerned about the defense. It's what I've been saying all year. As a team we are going to have very little margin for error and much like today we are probably going to be drawn into a lot of quasi-shootouts. To win shootouts consistently you need a dominant offense. Solid first game but I didn't see anything that makes me think we have enough playmakers on offense to dominate like that. Of course when Allen puts the team on his back as much as he did today we are still going to score points.

In the playoffs they took 14 out of the game.  We’re better off now with more WR playmakers.  You can take one away (Kincaid today) but now we have others.  We’ll be a better offense this year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

We have an offense full of role players but nobody that can take over games or command extra attention. That's what I thought they were all offseason and that's what they were today. 

Should we care whether or not we have somebody that takes over games if our offense scores 34?

We spread the ball around, had high passing efficiency, and scores a bunch of points.  Why is that not the objective?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Avisan said:

Should we care whether or not we have somebody that takes over games if our offense scores 34?

We spread the ball around, had high passing efficiency, and scores a bunch of points.  Why is that not the objective?

I think the concern has been more about Josh Allen having to run a bunch and hurdle defenders to score 34 points.

Luckily his hand injury wasn’t serious.

My ideal offense would look like Josh not needing to be our 1 man offense for 60 minutes. Part of that is his mentality which is a good thing and the reason we love him. The other part of it is the rest of the offense and previous OC’s not having any other clubs in their bag.

He basically played perfectly superhuman today. He had two bad plays, the fumble and the miss at Ty Johnson’s feet. He had the highest YPC on the team. I think it’s hard for him to sustain that over a season, and especially against the good teams in the playoffs.

Keon playing so much was a welcome surprise though. If he can build off this week 1, the hand wringing over not having a number one is going to look very silly!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, RoscoeParrish said:

My ideal offense would look like Josh not needing to be our 1 man offense for 60 minutes. 

Allen has ALWAYS been the man the Bills rely upon, no matter who we have lining up at wide receiver. Diggs, Davis, Beasley, Brown, Sanders….this offense goes as Josh goes and will continue to do so.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, RoscoeParrish said:

I think the concern has been more about Josh Allen having to run a bunch and hurdle defenders to score 34 points.

His legs are part of his game; we also do not need him to hurdle a defender, he just kinda... does that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Beast said:

Allen has ALWAYS been the man the Bills rely upon, no matter who we have lining up at wide receiver. Diggs, Davis, Beasley, Brown, Sanders….this offense goes as Josh goes and will continue to do so.

Sorry, of course you are right. He’s an elite QB. I don’t mean taking the ball out of his hands.

I more mean relying less on his physical running ability over the course of the season.

In 2021 and 2023, his attempts per broken tackle was around 10. 

In 2020 and 2022, it was 25.

It’s not a perfect stat, but i definitely think he didn’t have to run as physical in 2020, mainly because he had a lot of great weapons. Maybe this year will be similar, it’s very early. But he definitely had to be physical today to win.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Avisan said:

As others have pointed out, the issue is that Josh Allen had to take a lot of physical punishment today, just to beat a below average team with a bad defense. If he doesn't put his body on the line today (which literally caused an injury, the severity of which is still unknown) we would have lost. I guess this year they aren't putting the leash on him early in the season like they have in previous years. He has free reign to run around and take hits, because they know it's the only way this team can move the ball and score enough points to cover up our numerous deficiencies in all three phases. We don't have any pass catcher that can just go out and beat their man 1v1 with any kind of consistency. So it falls on Josh, like it always does but even moreso than usual.

So yeah we should care that we don't have anyone on offense capable of taking the load off of his shoulders. But hey for today at least the pass catchers all played their respective roles and did enough to get the job done. It is encouraging that the group wasn't a total trainwreck. Still there are concerning signs that I'm not going to ignore because we scored 34 points.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

As others have pointed out, the issue is that Josh Allen had to take a lot of physical punishment today, just to beat a below average team with a bad defense. If he doesn't put his body on the line today (which literally caused an injury, the severity of which is still unknown) we would have lost. I guess this year they aren't putting the leash on him early in the season like they have in previous years. He has free reign to run around and take hits, because they know it's the only way this team can move the ball and score enough points to cover up our numerous deficiencies in all three phases. We don't have any pass catcher that can just go out and beat their man 1v1 with any kind of consistency. So it falls on Josh, like it always does but even moreso than usual.

So yeah we should care that we don't have anyone on offense capable of taking the load off of his shoulders. But hey for today at least the pass catchers all played their respective roles and did enough to get the job done. It is encouraging that the group wasn't a total trainwreck. Still there are concerning signs that I'm not going to ignore because we scored 34 points.

It was 2nd and Goal from the 6, he absolutely could have slid or taken less contact for a lower TD chance.  I don't get why you and others are acting like it was a do-or-die 4th down play.  He chooses to do this stuff.  I'm not complaining, but the offense can absolutely function without him setting himself up for big impacts.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

Sorry for reddit link, but haven't found the video this was clipped from:

https://www.reddit.com/r/buffalobills/comments/1fc8c1a/highlight_alternate_angle_of_joshs_hurdle/

10-second clip.  If you think that Allen is hurdling defenders because it's the only way to win, and not because for better or worse he lives for this stuff, the man is straight up grinning like a kid in a candy shop in the immediate aftermath of this play.  He'll likely chill out as he gets older (goodness I hope so), but realistically if we want Allen playing loose and in a good headspace, we're probably going have to accept him putting his body on the line like this on a regular basis.  Obviously I would prefer that not be the case, since it would be lovely if the franchise QB prioritized protecting himself a little bit more, but this is part of the ride currently.

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, Avisan said:

You don't understand. If you don't win with long bombs and by 30.. it doesn't really count.

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Avisan said:

Sorry for reddit link, but haven't found the video this was clipped from:

https://www.reddit.com/r/buffalobills/comments/1fc8c1a/highlight_alternate_angle_of_joshs_hurdle/

10-second clip.  If you think that Allen is hurdling defenders because it's the only way to win, and not because for better or worse he lives for this stuff, the man is straight up grinning like a kid in a candy shop in the immediate aftermath of this play.  He'll likely chill out as he gets older (goodness I hope so), but realistically if we want Allen playing loose and in a good headspace, we're probably going have to accept him putting his body on the line like this on a regular basis.  Obviously I would prefer that not be the case, since it would be lovely if the franchise QB prioritized protecting himself a little bit more, but this is part of the ride currently.

He's not grinning lol he's wincing in pain

That was the play he hurt his hand

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

He's not grinning lol he's wincing in pain

That was the play he hurt his hand

He's literally reaching that hand out to brace himself/stop his rolling, pain hadn't really kicked in yet

I'm sure it hurt like hell after the fact, but in the moment he's the kid in a candy shop

13 hours ago, HappyDays said:

We have an offense full of role players but nobody that can take over games or command extra attention. That's what I thought they were all offseason and that's what they were today. 

34 points…, 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, amprov56 said:

I hear you, this bunch could find a botlle of urin in an upscale liquor store giving out free samples, they love misery!

Yup, it’s always the same cohort that gets triggered by nearly everything the Bills do, actually it’s pretty comical…, 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1