I'm really starting to love this WR room. We quietly got better

1 hour ago, Avisan said:

Hi, I was promised incompetent receiver play and an offense that can't score-- I did not get what I ordered, where do I submit for a refund?

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Send all refund requests to @BADOLBILZ.

I think, considering this is an almost entirely new set of WR's, that the start was promising. But like some of the more high profile accounts putting their line in the sand that it can't/won't work too soon - it's a little early to be pulling receipts the other way too. 

I liked seeing Khalil Shakir continue where he left off last season. Today you could see why Beane wanted to keep him remain a focal point and get more reps.

Coleman had a pretty decent first game. They seemed afraid of him as evidenced by multiple PI calls on him. And the sideline catch was impressive.

I was surprised to see Mack Hollins working inside as much as he did. And he exceeded expectations today. And hey! MVS held on to the ball! 😂

It seemed to me that coverage was focused on Curtis Samuel and Dalton Kincaid - as they were for the most part invisible today. I suppose on the outside looking in if I were a Defensive coach for the opposing team, that's who I'd single out on the roster too. Good to see other guys making the most of their single man opportunities.

Ultimately, I think that like I said earlier this offseason, it's not a lot to ask for Keon Coleman, Curtis Samuel, Mack Hollins, and MVS to provide more than what Diggs, Davis, Sherfield, and Harty provided us down the stretch. And like I said, I was impressed that there didn't seem to be much lapses or miscommunication for a brand new core in it's first game.

Will they improve with more continuity and be enough in a shoot out against the best teams? That remains to be seen. Fingers crossed tho.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Success said:

I need more Kincaid.

It'll be interesting to see what happened on the all 22. He was hardly involved. Was he double teamed? Didn't look like it but maybe. He wasn't on the field as much as one would've thought but we moved him around when he was. Just a non factor. 

• Like (+1) 1

Shakir picking up exactly  where he left off last year was nice to see.

Not a ton opportunities for the receivers in this game overall due to the total lack of possession in the fist quarter of the game. Feels very much like WR/TE by committee which I am fine with. KC has won back to back super bowls with largely the same approach. If anything, I would like to see the RB's invlolved in the passing game even more than they were today and they still combined for nearly 50 receiving yards today. But i could see them averaging 60+ 

9 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

That's all fine and good. But we still need a player we can go to in crucial situations. We gotta figure out who that will be

I think it will turn out to be Keon. Heck of a game from him today IMO and that is just with 5 targets and 51 receiving yards. But drawing two legitimate PI flags was big as well. 

1 hour ago, Avisan said:

Hi, I was promised incompetent receiver play and an offense that can't score-- I did not get what I ordered, where do I submit for a refund?

Uh this is not the game to be bringing up receipts about the play of the WRs. Most of the time when Allen was looking downfield he couldn't find anyone. Shakir showed he can make tough plays and has excellent YAC skills but he isn't a consistent target. The TEs barely showed up. Samuel was a non-factor. The most impressive pass catcher of the day was the rookie. I come away from this game with the same concerns I've had all offseason - we will need a near perfect offense to make up for the many deficiencies on defense, and I don't trust the supporting cast to be capable of doing that consistently. BTW the Cardinals have a poor defense so it is only going to get harder.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Charles Romes said:

Zero drops 

Yes this was the most positive thing to take away from the pass catchers today. And there were a couple tough catches from Coleman and Shakir so it wasn't all gimmes. Although I want another look at the missed pass at Knox, in real time it looked like he got his hands on it and should have made the tough catch but they didn’t show a replay.

1 hour ago, folz said:

Everyone eats...

Coleman 4 receptions for 51 yards

Shakir 3 receptions for 42 yards and a TD

Hollins 2 receptions for 25 yards and a TD

Samuel 2 receptions for 15 yards

MVS 1 reception for 19 yards

Wide receivers had 152 yards and 2 TDs in week one. Good start.

Including TEs and RBs, 9 players caught a ball from Josh today (10 players were targeted).

I also liked that the all 3 running backs had carries and passing targets.

Every receiver had a catch.

2 of 3 TEs had a catch. Morris also played but was not targeted.

But yeah, everyone eats.

https://static.www.nfl.com/gamecenter/7d40236a-1312-11ef-afd1-646009f18b2e.pdf

Pass catchers are what we expected and Allen passed it around.

Coleman was the big target rookie opposition was afraid of and slanted coverage against.

Shakir was the workhorse who caught everything and made extra yards including a TD.

Cook made enough catches that they needed to honor RB out of backfield.

Hollins who was the big man who in endzone used his height to get us a TD.

The others ensured that wherever a potential receiver was it needed to be defended.

image.png.1f15949dcd898a309e55ac3565e0ba28.png

I prefer this than to one player who can be double or triple covered to neutralize our offense.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Send all refund requests to @BADOLBILZ.

I couldn’t have said it better myself, 😁👍

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Uh this is not the game to be bringing up receipts about the play of the WRs. Most of the time when Allen was looking downfield he couldn't find anyone. Shakir showed he can make tough plays and has excellent YAC skills but he isn't a consistent target. The TEs barely showed up. Samuel was a non-factor. The most impressive pass catcher of the day was the rookie. I come away from this game with the same concerns I've had all offseason - we will need a near perfect offense to make up for the many deficiencies on defense, and I don't trust the supporting cast to be capable of doing that consistently. BTW the Cardinals have a poor defense so it is only going to get harder.

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

They scored 34 and barely had the ball in the first half because the defense was ass. You're concerned about the wrong side of the ball. If anything, this game alleviated some of my concerns about the Bills offense, particularly the Oline which was outstanding minus the penalties.

Edited by buffblue
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, VW82 said:

It'll be interesting to see what happened on the all 22. He was hardly involved. Was he double teamed? Didn't look like it but maybe. He wasn't on the field as much as one would've thought but we moved him around when he was. Just a non factor. 

I don’t know for sure, but I’m thinking maybe it had a lot to do with blocking as it seemed Keon, Hollins and Knox were out there a lot (Keon actually led the team in snap %).  We really out muscled them once we stopped shooting ourselves in the foot.  

So without seeing the All-22, my premature guess is it was just flow of the game as we seemed to play a much more physical game and something the Cardinals were not good at last year either.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We have an offense full of role players but nobody that can take over games or command extra attention. That's what I thought they were all offseason and that's what they were today. 

And hiw many outside throws were there that were not laterals / screens? I can only think of the one to Keon where he didn't separate but bodied the defender out and made a good catch and the comeback to MVS. They mainly focused on winning inside. I like that but there are times you are going to have to threaten more outside, especially against better defenses. 

So while there were signs of encouragement today it isn't time for any victory laps yet.

EDIT: the pass map on next gen suggests there were 3 outside throws that went past the line of scrimmage. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Like the big play by Keon near the endzone? or the 2 big plays by Shakir including the TD?

No when we are down by a score with 2 minutes left in the game and we need a consistent target to move the ball down the field and defense can't stop them

24 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We have an offense full of role players but nobody that can take over games or command extra attention. That's what I thought they were all offseason and that's what they were today. 

Josh Allen says hello.

1 hour ago, Turbo44 said:

Josh averaged 10 yards per attempt, which is ridiculous. Running we averaged 3.9/carry which is below average. Yet we ran 33 times and only passed 25 times. If we were playing a good team today I think we would have lost 

it looked like they were daring us to pass in the second half and the cards blew up many runs, like the chiefs in the playoffs. 

4 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

No when we are down by a score with 2 minutes left in the game and we need a consistent target to move the ball down the field and defense can't stop them

His name is Josh Allen.  

He will find an open guy or make a play with his legs.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, buffblue said:

They scored 34 and barely had the ball in the first half because the defense was ass. You're concerned about the wrong side of the ball. If anything, this game alleviated some of my concerns about the Bills offense, particularly the Oline which was outstanding minus the penalties.

I'm concerned about the offense because I'm concerned about the defense. It's what I've been saying all year. As a team we are going to have very little margin for error and much like today we are probably going to be drawn into a lot of quasi-shootouts. To win shootouts consistently you need a dominant offense. Solid first game but I didn't see anything that makes me think we have enough playmakers on offense to dominate like that. Of course when Allen puts the team on his back as much as he did today we are still going to score points.

• Like (+1) 1