I'm really starting to love this WR room. We quietly got better

39 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

Broncos are loaded at WR. They said Tim Patrick is on the roster bubble he’d easily be our #4 WR. Get er done Beane unless you want to really go all in and grab Sutton for a 3rd next year

The Broncos might have worse WRs than the Bills.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Billl said:

The Broncos might have worse WRs than the Bills.

Courtland Sutton, Marvin Mims, Troy Franklin, Josh Reynolds and a plethora of depth players like Patrick, Dorsett, Humphreys etc…Sutton would be our clear #1 and Marvin Mims is a legit burner something we don’t have unless they keep Hamler and he actually pans out 

On 8/17/2024 at 4:39 PM, Dr. Who said:

Rushing yardage and turnovers are significantly different.

My buddies and I randomly ran into former Buffalo Bills player yesterday, and he said that moving from Dorsey to Brady was the best thing for this team last year.  He insisted the running game is way better under Brady, which these statistics support.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NeverOutNick said:

Courtland Sutton, Marvin Mims, Troy Franklin, Josh Reynolds and a plethora of depth players like Patrick, Dorsett, Humphreys etc…Sutton would be our clear #1 and Marvin Mims is a legit burner something we don’t have unless they keep Hamler and he actually pans out 

Courtland Sutton is a bottom end #1 WR at best.  The rest are all practice squad quality.  Mims is a really good return guy, but he’s not a WR.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Billl said:

Courtland Sutton is a bottom end #1 WR at best.  The rest are all practice squad quality.  Mims is a really good return guy, but he’s not a WR.

You’re wrong. You’ll see this year when they have a competent QB in Bo Nix

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

Hmm. I don't think it is that different personally. I think Sutton is the best WR among the two rosters, he will be their "1" and he would be our "1" but he is really a #2. After that Josh Reynolds is a #3, Tim Patrick was a #3 but hasn't played football in two years and it remains to be seen what he is now as a 30 year old. Marvin Mims I wasn't super high on coming out, I thought he was a reach in round 2, and he still has work to do to convince me he is more than just a guy you can throw the occasional bomb to.... but he is at least theoretically a young guy with still some ceiling room there. Troy Franklin by all accounts has struggled mightily in camp and is not a lock for the roster at this stage. 

I give them probably a slight edge over the Bills because they have Sutton and he is legit. But if I was ranking the receivers across the two teams I'd go:

1. Sutton; 2. Samuel; 3. Shakir as my top 3. The Broncos have an edge in their depth because they have two young guys who you can optimistically still think are on the upswing, whereas we only have Coleman and then a load of guys we know are tapped out... but I wouldn't feel great about having the Broncos receivers any more than I do about having the Bills guys to be honest.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Billl said:

Tell you all you need to know then about our WR group and how terrible they are. Sutton would be an instant #1 in this team and all the way up to their #4 would be on this team and getting time. 

8 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

My buddies and I randomly ran into former Buffalo Bills player yesterday, and he said that moving from Dorsey to Brady was the best thing for this team last year.  He insisted the running game is way better under Brady, which these statistics support.

That tells me that the coaching staff has engrained their philosophy into the team to the point that it’s a problem. Picture convincing a number 1 WR that it’s better that their targets are limited for more rushing attempts. No wonder Diggs wanted out. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

You’re wrong. You’ll see this year when they have a competent QB in Bo Nix

I mean you listed a guy that’s a below average 1, a young question mark and a rookie taken rounds after ours.

At best it’s two bad rooms hoping someone changes their resume this season 

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I’m going to throw a move out for discussion: 

Jahan Dotson 

Another guy I think was overdrafted, but at the right price I'd do it. They'd have to be willing to sell low. A 4th that becomes a 3rd if he hits performance indicators would be my ceiling. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

I mean you listed a guy that’s a below average 1, a young question mark and a rookie taken rounds after ours.

At best it’s two bad rooms hoping someone changes their resume this season 

I question if some of you watch players outside of Buffalo. Sutton with a competent QB is not a below average 1. We’d be so lucky to have him. And for everyone who laughs at Bo Nix being a good QB just wait and see with your own eyes over these next few seasons 

but my point is the Broncos have a lot of depth at WR…something we do not have. And if a guy like Tim Patrick is a fringe player for them I say let’s grab him and stick him in as our #4 because that’s how bad it is after the big 3 on our team. 

I’m still holding out hope that we sign Corey Davis and our starting 6 WRs are Shakir, Samuel, Coleman, Hollins, Hamler and Davis. It may look underwhelming but that’s where we’re at and I think they bring good diversity which is what Brady wants 

It's popular to criticize McD but looking at our WR Room, for example, I wonder why Beane doesn't get more blame.

Here are our top ten paid receivers for 2024:

Diggs            31.0

Knox             7.7

Samuel         3.4

Kincaid         3.0

Hollins          2.5

Coleman      1.8

Harty            1.6

MVS             1.3

Shakir          1.1

Hamler         1.1

We're spending $32.6 million for guys who are no longer on the team.  In fact, we're spending more on ex-Bills receivers than on current Bills receivers.  We're also spending $7.7 million on a guy who's effectively our backup TE.  The most we're spending on a starting ball catcher is $3.4 million.  That's not good cap management.  

If Coleman, Shakir, and Samuel end up as our starters, we'll be fielding a wideout group at the bargain-basement price of $6.4 million per year.   The Fins, on the other had, are determined to set Tua up for success.   Hill is, of course, earning $32M, but even Waddle ($9.1M) earns more than all our starting wideouts combined.

According to OTC, 10 teams have allocated over $40M to WR.  We've allocated less than $20M.  

I think Beane did a reasonably good job putting together a receiver group on a budget, but the fact that he was forced to shop at the Dollar Store this offseason is a crisis of his own making.  

(Though I still hope Brady is able to scheme  up some magic with this group - we still have Josh.).  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I question if some of you watch players outside of Buffalo. Sutton with a competent QB is not a below average 1. We’d be so lucky to have him. And for everyone who laughs at Bo Nix being a good QB just wait and see with your own eyes over these next few seasons 

but my point is the Broncos have a lot of depth at WR…something we do not have. And if a guy like Tim Patrick is a fringe player for them I say let’s grab him and stick him in as our #4 because that’s how bad it is after the big 3 on our team. 

I’m still holding out hope that we sign Corey Davis and our starting 6 WRs are Shakir, Samuel, Coleman, Hollins, Hamler and Davis. It may look underwhelming but that’s where we’re at and I think they bring good diversity which is what Brady wants 

I think he’s a good nfl player but I also think you’d get rather uncomfortable firmly planting him in your top 16 wrs highly enough to make rude comments to someone putting him 17-32

go ahead, do a list and name names. 

you just aren’t getting him ahead of JJ, tyreek, ceedee, chase, brown, st brown, Adams, aiyuk, Wilson, Evans and that gets you 10 deep. 

is he really that head and shoulders above guys like puka, Moore, McLaughlin, Collins, metcalf? 

and is it wild to say probably at least a one of MHJ, nabers, and odunze beat him out? 

That ignores guys like diggs, Allen, Deebo or Godwin who likely start to age out of this quickly and are WR2 on their roster ((or the younger guys like waddle and Davonta at wr2))

Edited by NoSaint

13 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

Broncos are loaded at WR. They said Tim Patrick is on the roster bubble he’d easily be our #4 WR. Get er done Beane unless you want to really go all in and grab Sutton for a 3rd next year

Eh, they signed Reynolds as a #2, Sutton takes a lot of targets, and they drafted Mims and Franklin in the last 2 drafts.  

I'd be worried tim patrick is washed if he can't make their roster - not to mention he's 31 and has no stats since 2021.  ACL in 2022, then Achilles last year.  

9 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

It's popular to criticize McD but looking at our WR Room, for example, I wonder why Beane doesn't get more blame.

Here are our top ten paid receivers for 2024:

Diggs            31.0

Knox             7.7

Samuel         3.4

Kincaid         3.0

Hollins          2.5

Coleman      1.8

Harty            1.6

MVS             1.3

Shakir          1.1

Hamler         1.1

We're spending $32.6 million for guys who are no longer on the team.  In fact, we're spending more on ex-Bills receivers than on current Bills receivers.  We're also spending $7.7 million on a guy who's effectively our backup TE.  The most we're spending on a starting ball catcher is $3.4 million.  That's not good cap management.  

If Coleman, Shakir, and Samuel end up as our starters, we'll be fielding a wideout group at the bargain-basement price of $6.4 million per year.   The Fins, on the other had, are determined to set Tua up for success.   Hill is, of course, earning $32M, but even Waddle ($9.1M) earns more than all our starting wideouts combined.

I think Beane did a reasonably good job putting together a receiver group on a budget, but the fact that he was forced to shop at the Dollar Store this offseason is a crisis of his own making.  

(Though I still hope Brady is able to scheme  up some magic with this group - we still have Josh.).  

Samuel got a pretty good contract - 3yr 24M.  Cap hit implies we didn't boost his base salaries in years 2 and 3 to create space, which buffalo did.  

They used a 1st on kinkaid, a 2nd on cook, a 2nd on coleman, seem to have found something with shakir in the 5th, even davis in the 4th looks like a solid addition.  Miami is paying their guys a lot because they're veterans, and tua's cap hit is still manageable.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, mrags said:

That tells me that the coaching staff has engrained their philosophy into the team to the point that it’s a problem. Picture convincing a number 1 WR that it’s better that their targets are limited for more rushing attempts. No wonder Diggs wanted out. 

The player actually was on the team over 15 years ago, so was never part of the McBeane era.  But this year will be telling as to whether a philosophy of a more balanced offensive attack is better than one that puts more emphasis on the passing game.  I’m hoping the former ends up being the better answer, given that seems to be what we’re going to get.