I'm really starting to love this WR room. We quietly got better

13 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Right. So you think that Mr. Pegula decides who the Bills draft?

McD is not Beane’s boss, which is what you claimed.  Why can’t people around here just admit when they make an erroneous statement, instead of then trying to change the statement or question?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

16 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Right. So you think that Mr. Pegula decides who the Bills draft?

C'mon Bill, I know that McDermott, and Beane very intentionally keep themselves on the same page. But, Brandon Beane is in charge of the draft. We know this.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

What lmao.

During Tyreek’s tenure in KC, they drafted another WR in the second. We did not draft a WR even close to that high during Diggs’ tenure.

We also had Beasley and Brown on the roster for two of the seasons, and we drafted a TE in the first when Gabe Davis didn’t work out. You guys are completely disingenuous.

I haven’t looked it up, but my guess is the Bills have SIGNIFICANTLY outspent the chiefs in cap dollars at the WR position over the last 5 years.

this season, when you add the dead money for Diggs, they are spending like 1/6th of the cap on WR, and that’s still not good enough.

Edited by Mikey152

14 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

C'mon Bill, I know that McDermott, and Beane very intentionally keep themselves on the same page. But, Brandon Beane is in charge of the draft. We know this.

And you know this exaclly how? Does Beane have scouting experience. Was McDermott a DC? When McDermott traded the Mahomes pick (for a scant return) and drafted a corner, Beane was not employed by the Bills. This was a sign of things to come.

14 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

McD is not Beane’s boss, which is what you claimed.  Why can’t people around here just admit when they make an erroneous statement, instead of then trying to change the statement or question?

Would you have time to admit your many errors? And btw, someone is not necessarily wrong because they disagree with you.

Did this ever occur to you?

Edited by Bill from NYC

33 minutes ago, Mikey152 said:

We also had Beasley and Brown on the roster for two of the seasons, and we drafted a TE in the first when Gabe Davis didn’t work out. You guys are completely disingenuous.

I haven’t looked it up, but my guess is the Bills have SIGNIFICANTLY outspent the chiefs in cap dollars at the WR position over the last 5 years.

this season, when you add the dead money for Diggs, they are spending like 1/6th of the cap on WR, and that’s still not good enough.

There are 32 NFL teams. 1 to 32 where would you say that the Bills WRs rank?Please be specific in the WR rooms that you think are worse. This DOES NOT INCLUDE TES.

There are a lot of people in this thread confident in the group but when you compare them to other teams it’s hard to say that they aren’t 30, 31 or 32. It’s impossible to say that they are better than like 27. If they hit on all cylinders this year their ceiling is about 20-22. That’s just not good enough. That’s the frustration.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

And you know this exaclly how? Does Beane have scouting experience. Was McDermott a DC? When McDermott tradedthe Mahomes pick (for a scant retyrn) and drafted a corner, Beane was not employed by the Bills. This was a sign of things to come.

Would you have time to admit your many errors? And btw, someone is not necessarily wrong because they disagree with you.

The fact is simple:  Pegula has said, Beane has said, and McD has said that the HC and GM each report to the owner.  We can disagree on opinions, that’s kind of what chat rooms are for.  But facts are facts.  And when I have been wrong on a fact I acknowledge and thank folks for correcting me.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

There are 32 NFL teams. 1 to 32 where would you say that the Bills WRs rank?Please be specific in the WR rooms that you think are worse. This DOES NOT INCLUDE TES.

There are a lot of people in this thread confident in the group but when you compare them to other teams it’s hard to say that they aren’t 30, 31 or 32. It’s impossible to say that they are better than like 27. If they hit on all cylinders this year their ceiling is about 20-22. That’s just not good enough. That’s the frustration.

Why is it in this thread that some ghat are negative on this topic insist we can only talk about WRs, until it’s convenient to mention TEs when it suits their purpose?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

The fact is simple:  Pegula has said, Beane has said, and McD has said that the HC and GM each report to the owner.  We can disagree on opinions, that’s kind of what chat rooms are for.  But facts are facts.  And when I have been wrong on a fact I acknowledge and thank folks for correcting me.

Why is it in this thread that some ghat are negative on this topic insist we can only talk about WRs, until it’s convenient to mention TEs when it suits their purpose?

Yes, Mr. Pegula pays their salaries. This is not startling news.

Now, do you think that Mr. Pegula is in charge of the draft? If not, who is? 

9 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

The OP subject thread is headlined with "I'm starting to love the WR room.  We quietly got better".  The topic is WR room.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Um, the title of this thread is, “I'm really starting to love this WR room. We quietly got better.” That doesn’t say, “the Bills pass catchers.” We can have a conversation about WRs without including the RBs and TEs (who are both decent). 

Of course though, you didn’t go on record with the WR rooms that you think are worse. The numbers don’t support many ranking lower. Even some bad WR rooms have a stud (Pickens and McLaurin). The Bills are in the bottom 3 and I’m sorry that I don’t feel good about that with prime Josh Allen. We should be loading up weapons for him not asking him to carry lesser players. We will win because of Josh Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

And you know this exaclly how? Does Beane have scouting experience. Was McDermott a DC? When McDermott tradedthe Mahomes pick (for a scant retyrn) and drafted a corner, Beane was not employed by the Bills. This was a sign of things to come.

We know this from every Embedded, every report, and every press conference we've seen regarding the draft. If you can cite anything to suggest that it is McD, and not Beane who makes the final decisions in the draft, I'd love to see it, and I know the Bills organization tends to keep their cards close to the vest. But everything we have ever seen from draft night has Beane making the phone calls, doing the negotiating, and ultimately pulling the trigger. When Beane traded with KC, and then Carolina, do you think he looked over to McD to get approval? I don't.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yes, Mr. Pegula pays their salaries. This is not startling news.

Now, do you think that Mr. Pegula is in charge of the draft? If not, who is? 

Beane.  They’ve been clear on that.  And for the third time now McD is not Beane’s boss.  Fact.

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Um, the title of this thread is, “I'm really starting to love this WR room. We quietly got better.” That doesn’t say, “the Bills pass catchers.” We can have a conversation about WRs without including the RBs and TEs (who are both decent). 

Of course though, you didn’t go on record with the WR rooms that you think are worse. The numbers don’t support many ranking lower. Even some bad WR rooms have a stud (Pickens and McLaurin). The Bills are in the bottom 3 and I’m sorry that I don’t feel good about that with prime Josh Allen. We should be loading up weapons for him not asking him to carry lesser players. We will win because of Josh Allen. 

Then tell your boy Badolbilz that TEs need to be left out because he adds them in when he feels like it.

We’ll see where the WRs rank when they play football.

15 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The OP subject thread is headlined with "I'm starting to love the WR room.  We quietly got better".  The topic is WR room.

See above about Badolbillz.  He adds them when he sees fit.

17 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Quite fair.

I would suggest that maybe the topic is tightly focused and therefore flawed in terms of predicting our offense. 

I want a #1 that scares defenses as much as anyone, but the WR room is only one room in the house. 

What 5th round player had this draft profile and grade?

WEAKNESSES

X plays smaller than his 6'0", 195-pound size would suggest. His 40 time was not great and points to an issue on film of separating deep. He does have explosive skills as a jumper and short-area runner, but he's not able to take the top off the defense. X was a highly touted prep player and still carries hype from those days. At Maryland, he struggled to stay healthy, with two straight years of season-ending injuries (broken leg in 2013, lacerated kidney in 2014), and was suspended after a fight against Penn State.

2014 STATISTICS

Receptions        Yards Receiving         Touchdowns
62                              792                               5

FINAL GRADE: 5.10/9.00 (Quality Backup)
Stefon Diggs.

Granted there were draftniks that were more positive on Diggs and his potential as a 5th round selection in that draft, but I thought this was a good reminder and an object lesson that WRs can develop into a legit #1 in the right system, with the right QB, with the right dedication to their craft. 

We can afford to be a bit patient and see how this WR room shakes out with a bunch of guys the Bills have brought in that have plenty of potential that may never have had a QB like Allen throwing to them. We will see how Coleman develops as they work his reps in, and some guys they brought in are looking for that chance to resurrect their careers and they came to the Bills because they know Josh Allen could help make that happen.

Should make for some really good competition.

We also have the potential to have one of the best 1-2 TE tandems in the league. I think we will move the ball and have the potential to regularly put defenses in a bind between having to load up the box against the run (which I think may even be better this year) or trying to defend a lot of different receiving options that can come out of those same personnel packages with different alignments and motion.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, WideNine said:

WEAKNESSES

X plays smaller than his 6'0", 195-pound size would suggest. His 40 time was not great and points to an issue on film of separating deep. He does have explosive skills as a jumper and short-area runner, but he's not able to take the top off the defense. X was a highly touted prep player and still carries hype from those days. At Maryland, he struggled to stay healthy, with two straight years of season-ending injuries (broken leg in 2013, lacerated kidney in 2014), and was suspended after a fight against Penn State.

2014 STATISTICS

Stefon Diggs.

Granted there were draftniks that were more positive on Diggs and his potential as a 5th round selection in that draft, but I thought this was a good reminder and an object lesson that WRs can develop into a legit #1 in the right system, with the right QB, with the right dedication to their craft. 

We can afford to be a bit patient and see how this WR room shakes out with a bunch of guys the Bills have brought in that have plenty of potential that may never have had a QB like Allen throwing to them. We will see how Coleman develops as they work his reps in, and some guys they brought in are looking for that chance to resurrect their careers and they came to the Bills because they know Josh Allen could help make that happen.

We also have the potential to have one of the best 1-2 TE tandems in the league. I think we will move the ball and have the potential to regularly put defenses in a bind between having to load up the box against the run (which I think may even be better this year) or trying to defend a lot of different receiving options that can come out of those same personnel packages with different alignments and motion.

Shakir? 

I remember alot of nfl media saying the nfl will regret putting Shakir w Allen 🤷‍♂️

And ya we arguably have the best TE duo in the league, so gotta take advantage. 

If Coleman is a stud out the gate, the O would be extremely lethal and diverse 

Edited by JerseyBills

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

You seem perturbed My Friend Bill from NYC.

I had thought that McD had a vision and Beane tried to find the best values , fill some holes, appease McD (first two years for sure) with all the Defense

They both kinda failed early years IMO

But now I think the relationship has balanced out a bit and they have grown individually and together.

Drafting much better and more holistically

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Quite fair.

I would suggest that maybe the topic is tightly focused and therefore flawed in terms of predicting our offense. 

I want a #1 that scares defenses as much as anyone, but the WR room is only one room in the house. 

I would suggest that the TEs might have a sincere effect on the WR by committee this coming season.

And Cook Johnson and the new kid might well make the WR Room much better than last years as a whole

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

WEAKNESSES

2014 STATISTICS

Stefon Diggs.

very well spoken (written )

I concur muchly :)

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

Quite fair.

I agree, the other offensive pieces are exciting - several young improving rooms - the TE room is excellent, and the RBs being headlined with an improving Cook makes for a bright future.

But the OP specifically mentioned WRs.  And that particular area is a hot topic.  Part of the reason IMO, it's a hot topic is because of the improvement of the other areas, and if the WR room was up to the prior years standards this would be the most exciting offensive potential we've had in years. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mikey152 said:

first of all, Brown was here 1 year with Diggs when he was still an NFL player. Him and Bease were on retirement’s door by 21, which is why Beasley’s numbers dropped and Brown was cut outright. 

Brown and Beasley harm your point.

They had to sign them back as retired corpses midseason because of how bad the WR room was otherwise in 2022. It was an obvious symptom. 

Edited by FireChans

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I Agree. It’s difficult to envision them being anywhere inside the top 16 : it would actually be stunning given the lineup at WR. I’d say low twenties is a good guess if all goes well. 

• Like (+1) 1