I'm really starting to love this WR room. We quietly got better

5 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

that's because its a dumb point

for the last time- saying the offense hasnt been consistent in the playoffs is like saying one of the sinks on the titanic has a little leak

That is a terrible comparison lol.  

Not scoring in the playoffs is not equivalent to a small tiny leak.  But I forgot, you should expect offenses to struggle in the playoffs.  

You are very vocal about not liking McDermott.  This is just your way of putting all the blame on him for us not getting to the Super Bowl.  Put ALL the blame on the defense.  

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Am I missing something?  

The OL, particularly IOL was really bad in 21 and 22. 

Josh covers up a lot because he’s Josh. And we saw how it affected him because he was bailing out of the pocket in a second vs the Jets in the opener in 23 when he had plenty of time.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I can't agree with this line of reasoning at all. UDFA Foster, who utterly tanked with Washington his third year, and is now out of the NFL, underperformed with Allen??? Fourth round Gabe Davis underperformed with Allen? Knox, who never caught a TD in his entire college career has underperformed with Allen? McKenzie? Have you looked at his numbers since he left Buffalo for the Colts? Of course, Brown and Beasley underperformed... except when they didn't. 

Are you honestly saying that Josh Allen doesn't elevate his WRs?

Here is what you are agreeing with:

"Bottom line, not only is expecting the group to rank higher by seasons end not unreasonable, it’s statistically the most probable outcome based on history of all receivers and weapons that play with Josh Allen." 

Then you are wrong too.  More of these individuals in question have not exceeded expectations than have.   By a substantial margin.

That's not a criticism of Josh Allen.

Nor is it a "line of reasoning".

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Okay, I thought I saw you write POOR offensive line and REALLY BAD WR's but I guess you didn't.  

What I wrote was, "there have been years when the Bills had a poor OL. There have been years when the WR corps was below-average to really bad."

Pre-Diggs, Allen's WRs were certainly below-average, at best. That's worth bearing in mind when we're talking about offensive inconsistency in the Houston playoff game. This most recent playoff loss the WRs has 160 yards of drops. Whatever the WR corps' achievements during the regular season, it certainly had a terrible game that day.

Now think about the OL. If you don't remember any poor OL play during Allen's time here then that's on you. We had a late career Roger Saffold as a starter. We had an injured and poorly performing Spencer Brown as another starter. The OL was completely dominated by the Bengals in our playoff loss to them. (Another game that's being thrown around as an example of offensive inconsistency in the postseason.)

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Again this was EXACTLY what you said so cut the "not even remotely close to what I said" bullish!t :doh::

"Bottom line, not only is expecting the group to rank higher by seasons end not unreasonable, it’s statistically the most probable outcome based on history of all receivers and weapons that play with Josh Allen." 

I underlined it for you this time.   Maybe that will help. ;)

LMAO Cut the BS dude...The balls on you to accuse me and call “bulls**t” while you are in fact lying.  Ok then, can’t believe I actually have to even do this.…but let’s go to the receipts lol

You just flat out lied...yet again.  Not only is that NOT my original comment that you first replied to...but its not even the full comment of the post you took it from.  Why, because if you quoted the full post it would expose you are lying.  But don't worry...I got you covered :thumbsup:  More comically you are trying to use this same lie in other posts in attempts to gaslight other posters too lmao.

So...let me help you by sharing the ACTUAL post you responded to ORIGINALLY and the posts that followed where it was VERY clear what we were discussing EVERY time.  

This is my ORIGINAL post below that STARTED our conversation.  Since you struggle with facts and truth…I will make them easier to read with bold and larger font 👍

SPOILER ALERT:  What does it say?  Hmmmm....TOP 3 RECEIVERS (weird no TE's or non-starters).  PAST 4 or 5 YEARS (weird no Josh Allen rookie year where he didn't play a full season...and was well a rookie and nowhere near the player he is now).  CAREER HIGH (weird doesn't say new career high every single year). 

On 7/17/2024 at 3:21 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

What @Rocky Landingis saying though is that a BIG part of their rankings are the unknown.  Keon is a rookie where people have been split on him and Shakir just put up an insane YPT, Catch %, and led the Bills in receiving over our final 10 games but we have not seen him in a bigger role and without Diggs here.  Samuel who is respected, has never played with Allen or any QB that should be starting in the NFL, yet still has been able to be productive.  

And with ESPN ranking the Bills weapons 24th, that again is again factoring in a lot of the unknown from our youth because we haven't seen them post Diggs (or at all yet in Buffalo like Keon, Davis, and Samuel) to reasonably know what to expect this year from them.  Kincaid put up 4th most rec by a rookie TE in NFL history last year to go along with Shakir's and Cook's breakouts.  But, all of that happened with a Diggs on the roster, so will they keep ascending in bigger roles with Diggs gone is a question yet to be answered.  Brady had a strong start in Buffalo, but now its his offense being installed, one where Allen is also learning a new system.  

Point is, it is not like they are ranked 24th because the opinion is that Kincaid is not very good...Shakir is not very good...Keon is not very good.  They are ranked 24th because those guys who are expected to be the bigger parts of the offense bring potential rather than a proven track record while also having Allen learn now his 3 system in 3 seasons.  

But lets look at what we do know...pretty much every receiver the past 4 or 5 years that has been one of our top 3 receivers has put up career highs catching passes from Josh Allen, and the ones who didn't were the ones who were hurt like Crowder and Sanders.  

So, saying it is "not very likely" that the WR Corps would rank higher at the end of the season doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  Because the rankings and expectations are set low right now because of the unknown, but the odds are that playing with Allen that they will certainly exceed the low expectations being set preseason.  I would happily take the over on a bet about where they finish compared to their current ranking either as a WR Corp or as Weapons overall.  

As if I am not already at Mic Drop levels...let’s keep going cuz this is for the people! 😂 

👇Here is the ACTUAL FULL POST that you CHERRY PICKED a GENERALIZED ending quote from (in RED below) where you didn't quote the WHOLE post because it VERY CLEARLY states PRIOR to that what we SPECIFICALLY have been discussing since the BEGINNING.

16 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Again, you are overlooking the entirety of the unknowns and narrowing it to “lots of teams drafted a rookie WR”.  

How many of those teams have every WR but 1 as new?  How many of those teams have a new OC and new offensive system?  How many of those teams have a QB learning his 3rd system in 3 years?  How many of those teams are replacing nearly 300 targets in their offense?  How many of those teams have their expected top 4 best weapons with 0-2 years experience?

Now ask how many of those teams have Josh Allen and who has elevated pretty much every starting WR he has ever played with to career highs?  How many of those teams feature a QB with most NFL TDs in history in first 6 years?  How many of those teams of those teams have a QB with a NFL record of 40+ TDs for 4 consecutive years and counting?

You are just glossing over things to maintain the pessimistic outlook you insist on coating all your views with. 

Bottom line, not only is expecting the group to rank higher by seasons end not unreasonable based on its low conservative preseason ranks, it’s statistically the most probable outcome based on history of all receivers and weapons that play with Josh Allen.  To deny that is to be stubborn to a particular view.  

🤯 Oh that pesky truth right?  LOL 

But let’s keep it going...because you were REPEATEDLY told even after this every time you desperately tried to misrepresent what my statements originally were.  So you can't even claim ignorance, you were told over and over...

POST NUMBER 3:  

15 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The questions illustrate the complete unknown.  And the “you make it sound quite perilous” is part of the low ranking because with so much unknown with all the changes there isn’t anything proven to elevate the rankings.  

Lmao, the failures?  Do you mean the 2 guys who got hurt in Crowder and Sanders?  I said the 3 starting WR’s.  It’s not that it’s not good data, it’s more you don’t seem to know the correct data.  

2018 - Shouldn't really even use 2018 as he was a raw rookie who only played 10 1/2 games….but Foster and Zay still had then career highs and gave their careers life.  Foster wouldn’t ever play meaningful football again.  

After that - Every starting WR who didn’t get hurt (Sanders and Crowder) have put up their career best seasons with Allen.  

There is no logical or rational way to dispute that fact because it’s just that…a statistical fact…not opinion.

AND YET AGAIN...

13 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This is quite honestly your worst argument and take since you tried to convince me during last season that Shakir can’t catch.  

So TE’s play WR now?  Lmao.  You are so predictable. You always move the goal post or change the comparison…or at least try to…when you’re clearly out of any logical way to counter a point or just factually wrong.  

You’re not even capable of sticking to the topic.  The statement is very clearly was about how the starting WR’s have put up their CAREER high with Allen.  Robert Foster did that, but you AGAIN try and spin that by citing he didn’t set a new career high the next season?  Lol, you mean the one where he was NOT a starter and wasn’t even active most the season because he was in the coaches dog house?  Haha what a meaningless thing to bring up as if that somehow changes that Foster had a career high with Allen.  You don’t seem to understand that only furthers my point.

And, so funny…I just told you Allen only played 10 1/2 games as a rookie, yet you bring up KB?  And I already told you that in the last post lol.  Not to mention states that it was true except for when injuries prevented it.  And even though Allen only played in 10 1/2 games as a rookie, Foster and Zay had still put up then career highs.  Zay did beat it one time since 2 years ago, but again he only played 8 1/2 games with Josh Allen that year, still his 2nd best of his career.

You want to bring up Knox (again not a WR) who had 15 TDs the 2 years before Kincaid got here, including 9 in 2021 that resulted in him getting a big contract as a failure?  Lol, especially considering how little his target share was as neither Daboll or Dorsey prioritized throwing to the TE.  And when Brady did use the TE’s once Kincaid was here, Kincaid put up the 4th most receptions for a rookie TE in NFL history.  You really think Knox is gonna have a better 2 year span for any other team if he leaves Buffalo and Allen than his 15 TDs from 2021-2022? Possible, but prob not.  Also…he’s a TE, we talking WRs, so irrelevant anyway.  

You were wrong when you wanted to bring up all his “failures” to do so…just accept that and move on instead of doubling and tripling down on what should have just been a simple mistake.  It doesn’t even mean you have to change your negative opinion, just means you misspoke without knowing if it was true.  It’s complete fact, not an opinion, that the starting WRs not affected by injuries set career highs with Allen.  

Sadly, there were even more examples still…But hey, no need to post them all. I still have the rest of your nonsense to address below...

Getting back to the rest of your nonsense comments...👇

I gave you a paragraph full of "weapons" who have had disappointing seasons and/or failed to perform to expectations with Josh Allen.  

No you didn't.  You gave me a post of gibberish that was wrong, inaccurate, and not on topic.

Clay, Benjamin, Foster(year 2), Davis(3 years), Knox(multiple years), McKenzie(Lil' Dummy phase), Brown and Beasley(aside from one season each), Sanders, Sherfield, Harty........    

Hahaha oh boy...ok, you keep writing them, so lets take them one by one:

Clay - Played with Allen his rookie year when Allen didn't play a full season...so not from "the last 4 or 5 years"...nor is he a WR.

Benjamin - Played during Allens rookie year only when Allen didn't play a full season....so also not from "the last 4 or 5 years".

Foster - This is the dumbest one...HE LITERALLY HAD HIS CAREER HIGH WITH ALLEN.  And the year 2 you want to talk about...FOSTER DIDN'T PLAY, he was in the coaches doghouse...something ALREADY told to you too.  And again, it doesnt matter he already set a CAREER HIGH with JOSH ALLEN.

Davis - He has ONLY played with Josh Allen...therefore his CAREER HIGH is with ALLEN.  And I know you don't like him, so I seriously doubt you believe he will beat his career highs in Jax...doesn't matter though, because still his CAREER HIGH is currently with...wait for it...JOSH ALLEN.

Knox - SEE DAVIS ABOVE.  Also NOT A WR.  But lets talk about him anyway...15 TD's and over 1100 yards over 2021 and 2022...CAREER best seasons and does anyone expect he will put up 9 TD's again?  Doubt it.  Doesn't matter though...CAREER HIGH is STILL currently with...wait for it...JOSH ALLEN.

McKenzie - LITERALLY put up his CAREER HIGH SEASON with JOSH ALLEN.

Brown - LITERALLY put up his CAREER HIGH SEASON with JOSH ALLEN.

Beasley - LITERALLY put up his CAREER HIGH SEASON with JOSH ALLEN.

Sanders - HURT and I literally said other than Crowder and Sanders who had injuries from the early outset. 

Sherfield - NOT A STARTER, didn't play much...and we were discussing...wait for it...STARTERS.

Harty - SEE SHERFIELD.

Now its time:  🎤🫳

Ice Cube Friday GIF

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Here is what you are agreeing with:

Then you are wrong too.  More of these individuals in question have not exceeded expectations than have.   By a substantial margin.

That's not a criticism of Josh Allen.

Nor is it a "line of reasoning".

Attributing someone else's quote to me is just gaslighting. Be that as it may...

That phrase "exceeded expectations" is is too vague in this context to really be meaningful. Was Diggs, Beasley, or Brown expected to have their best career numbers as soon as they came to Buffalo? Was fourth round pick, Gabe Davis expected to become the #2WR for three seasons? (And will he meet expectations in Jax?) Was UDFA Foster expected to have the rookie season he did? Was Knox expected to become a legit receiver, after being a blocking TE in college? For that matter, was Shakir, with his tiny little arms, expected to finish the season the way he did? Harty was expected to be a P/KR, and he was.

You have stated that the Bills WRs are expected to be 27th in the league, and the receivers are expected to be 24th. I have presented arguments for why I believe it is very likely they will finish the season ranked higher, and I stand by that.

But I want to ask you again: Do you honestly believe that Josh Allen doesn't elevate the performance of his WRs?

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I have presented arguments for why I believe it is very likely they will finish the season ranked higher, and I stand by that.

So . . . you believe that even if the WR corps gets off to a rough start, it's unlikely to have a rocky landing? 😮

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

So . . . you believe that even if the WR corps gets off to a rough start, it's unlikely to have a rocky landing? 😮

Nice one. To be clear, I don't think our WR room is better than it was last season-- not without Diggs, or someone of his caliber. But if he was still a Bill, or if we had acquired an elite WR, then this room would be rock solid, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

What I wrote was, "there have been years when the Bills had a poor OL. There have been years when the WR corps was below-average to really bad."

Pre-Diggs, Allen's WRs were certainly below-average, at best. That's worth bearing in mind when we're talking about offensive inconsistency in the Houston playoff game. This most recent playoff loss the WRs has 160 yards of drops. Whatever the WR corps' achievements during the regular season, it certainly had a terrible game that day.

Now think about the OL. If you don't remember any poor OL play during Allen's time here then that's on you. We had a late career Roger Saffold as a starter. We had an injured and poorly performing Spencer Brown as another starter. The OL was completely dominated by the Bengals in our playoff loss to them. (Another game that's being thrown around as an example of offensive inconsistency in the postseason.)

We had enough talent to put up more than 1 offensive TD against the Texans who had a below average defense.  I think you can agree on that.  The Chiefs put up 51 the following week.

I don't see any spot where the Bills WR during the playoffs was really bad.  I think 2019 was average and after that, it's been good or decent.

Yes, there were years the OL was below average, I can agree with that.

The OL was dominated in the Bengals playoff but when we had opportunities, we didn't capitalize.  Allen didn't play well when he had time, there was film breakdown on the game after that showed several missed opportunities.   It was a bad overall game from both units.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

11 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Attributing someone else's quote to me is just gaslighting. Be that as it may...

That phrase "exceeded expectations" is is too vague in this context to really be meaningful. Was Diggs, Beasley, or Brown expected to have their best career numbers as soon as they came to Buffalo? Was fourth round pick, Gabe Davis expected to become the #2WR for three seasons? (And will he meet expectations in Jax?) Was UDFA Foster expected to have the rookie season he did? Was Knox expected to become a legit receiver, after being a blocking TE in college? For that matter, was Shakir, with his tiny little arms, expected to finish the season the way he did? Harty was expected to be a P/KR, and he was.

You have stated that the Bills WRs are expected to be 27th in the league, and the receivers are expected to be 24th. I have presented arguments for why I believe it is very likely they will finish the season ranked higher, and I stand by that.

But I want to ask you again: Do you honestly believe that Josh Allen doesn't elevate the performance of his WRs?

Read my post a couple posts up...he is gaslighting you...he is BS'ing you and using a false context of my quote that was clearly pointed out to him more than 5 times.  And my original comment was in reference to one of your posts, which you can see I quoted in that post above too.  

5 minutes ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

Haha...that was money.  Nicely done

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Agreed it was better in years 3 and 4, that is assumed with any player who has any success in the NFL.  But...Keep in mind, the comparison is where they each are in respect as rookies, not after Gabe had 3-4 years of NFL coaching vs Keon as a rookie. 

Yes I think Keon's release package is ahead of where Gabe was coming out. But I don't think he converts that into separation consistently because I don't think he is a good route runner and I don't think he is able to dictate to coverage. 

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes I think Keon's release package is ahead of where Gabe was coming out. But I don't think he converts that into separation consistently because I don't think he is a good route runner and I don't think he is able to dictate to coverage. 

Circling back to my original point...Gabe had some early success as a rookie who wasn't expected to play as much but did due to John Browns injury.  And while there is no denying having a Diggs on the field is a benefit, he still has to run his routes, beat his man, catch the ball, etc.

So if Keon is better prospect and ahead of Gabe in a number of areas coming out of college, wouldn't you think it is plausible that Keon could have similar success to Davis rookie year and even surpass that given the expected bigger role Keon will have compared to Davis as well? 

And no doubt Diggs on the field is a bonus, but it is also over exaggerated a lot by many around here.  Having Diggs on the field doesn't make a bad WR opposite of him suddenly good.  It has advantages sure, but the WR still has to execute and do his job.  And while Keon won't have Diggs, he also isn't automatically dead in the water because he doesn't and still has guys on the field the defense has to respect to make plays from Kincaid, Shakir, Samuel, to the RB's and Allen running himself.  

IMHO they don't need Keon to be a 1,200 yard guy or something year 1...but if he can manage 700-900 yards and get 8+ TD's it will really help this offense this year have a shot at still being one of the premiere offenses in the league.  And I personally don't find that to be an unreasonable expectation of his rookie year when Josh Allen is his QB, but I am also one who is optimistic about Keon which I get you are less optimistic on him.

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Circling back to my original point...Gabe had some early success as a rookie who wasn't expected to play as much but did due to John Browns injury.  And while there is no denying having a Diggs on the field is a benefit, he still has to run his routes, beat his man, catch the ball, etc.

So if Keon is better prospect and ahead of Gabe in a number of areas coming out of college, wouldn't you think it is plausible that Keon could have similar success to Davis rookie year and even surpass that given the expected bigger role Keon will have compared to Davis as well? 

And no doubt Diggs on the field is a bonus, but it is also over exaggerated a lot by many around here.  Having Diggs on the field doesn't make a bad WR opposite of him suddenly good.  It has advantages sure, but the WR still has to execute and do his job.  And while Keon won't have Diggs, he also isn't automatically dead in the water because he doesn't and still has guys on the field the defense has to respect to make plays from Kincaid, Shakir, Samuel, to the RB's and Allen running himself.  

IMHO they don't need Keon to be a 1,200 yard guy or something year 1...but if he can manage 700-900 yards and get 8+ TD's it will really help this offense this year have a shot at still being one of the premiere offenses in the league.  And I personally don't find that to be an unreasonable expectation of his rookie year when Josh Allen is his QB, but I am also one who is optimistic about Keon which I get you are less optimistic on him.

I think the bottom end of your yardage projections and half the number of touchdowns is a realistic target for him. 700-750 and 4/5 TDs. Anything above that is gravy.

My concern on the offense isn't really that they won't be able to move the ball. It is that in those critical gotta have it plays in and around the redzone where scheme matters less and you need a guy to just win his matchup teams will be able to clamp down on them. Which was happening 2nd half of last year with Stef's drop off and I see little evidence that they have done enough to change that. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the bottom end of your yardage projections and half the number of touchdowns is a realistic target for him. 700-750 and 4/5 TDs. Anything above that is gravy.

My concern on the offense isn't really that they won't be able to move the ball. It is that in those critical gotta have it plays in and around the redzone where scheme matters less and you need a guy to just win his matchup teams will be able to clamp down on them. Which was happening 2nd half of last year with Stef's drop off and I see little evidence that they have done enough to change that. 

I get the concern, but I actually think our roster is better suited for redzone play this year over last year.  Obviously its all just a guess right now...but here is why I feel that way.

Keon is going to bring redzone value, Kincaid is now in year 2 and we still have Knox giving us a lot of athletic size.  Shakir and Samuel are threats out of the slot who can run crisp routes and make the catch, especially Shakir.  And gone are the over the hill compliments to Cook where we have Davis who is a tough runner who accelerates through the hole.  Plus Brady finally brought movement with a purpose to the offense after Dorsey was fired.  Then there is still the guy with the most TD's the past 4 seasons who is a redzone beast in Allen.

So for me, the redzone is where I feel more comfortable with this squad.  Beane even discussed how he was thinking about the redzone when constructing this group.  Personally, my bigger question marks will be the longer parts of the field and will they consistently be able to attack all 3 levels to avoid defenses clamping down on them.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

17 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I get the concern, but I actually think our roster is better suited for redzone play this year over last year.  Obviously its all just a guess right now...but here is why I feel that way.

Keon is going to bring redzone value, Kincaid is now in year 2 and we still have Knox giving us a lot of athletic size.  Shakir and Samuel are threats out of the slot who can run crisp routes and make the catch, especially Shakir.  And gone are the over the hill compliments to Cook where we have Davis who is a tough runner who accelerates through the hole.  Plus Brady finally brought movement with a purpose to the offense after Dorsey was fired.  Then there is still the guy with the most TD's the past 4 seasons who is a redzone beast in Allen.

So for me, the redzone is where I feel more comfortable with this squad.  Beane even discussed how he was thinking about the redzone when constructing this group.  Personally, my bigger question marks will be the longer parts of the field and will they consistently be able to attack all 3 levels to avoid defenses clamping down on them.  

I don't see a guy who is going to win their 1 on 1 inside 2 seconds consistently. And when you don't have that the redzone is where it shows up most. Can the big bodies of Coleman and the tight ends make a few contested catch TDs? Sure. But that isn't a way to live sustainably in the NFL over the course of a season.

• Like (+1) 1

Well, what was a fine thread, that was fun to drop in on and read, isn’t anymore, mostly because of a couple of posters who routinely make threads not worth following…, oh well, there is always a knucklehead or three on every team message board…, 

Its Friday Bills fans, and the weekend is upon us, hope all ya’ll have a good one, 😁👍🍸🚬

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Also a guy like Hollins, ppl bring up his poor stats last year but the prior year in LV he went for 57/690/4.. 

Could be a big upgrade over Sherfield/Harty in the WR 4 or 5 role. 

Him and MVS both around 6'4 , clearly size was an important attribute to Beane

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Well, what was a fine thread, that was fun to drop in on and read, isn’t anymore, mostly because of a couple of posters who routinely make threads not worth following…, oh well, there is always a knucklehead or three on every team message board…, 

Its Friday Bills fans, and the weekend is upon us, hope all ya’ll have a good one, 😁👍🍸🚬

GO BILLS!!!

As with any internet argument once it gets pass a few back and forths, it's just the same thing repeated over and over in a ever more strident manner.

It's still interesting to observe in the same manner as a car wreck.

• Like (+1) 1

For those continuing to drone on about the terrible WR corps, should they turn out to play well could you let me know now what position group you'll decide to pick on next?  I'd like to start preparing in advance.

• Agree 1