I'm really starting to love this WR room. We quietly got better

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Come on man. Trading back into the second to get the #8 WR in the draft is basically the same as taking a guy in the top 10 lol

Of all the years to try to claim they've prioritized weapons on offense...I guess this one is as good as any😂😂 which is to say it's very clearly been an issue

Bad faith argument imo

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Einstein's Dog said:

For me the frustration is in the realization that the FO has the WR group as a low priority.  Baldo and Gunner have previously said it, but I didn't believe it.  Only the diehards like the OP, can rearrange what is staring us all in the face and paint a rosy picture with it.

For the group of Bills fans that would like to have Josh slinging the ball to excellent WRs, this does not seem to be the year for them.  And then there is the uncertainty of what happens if the Bills have a good season with using pathetic WRs?  Does it continue?

I personally am pessimistic about Coleman. But to someone who's high on him, it could appear as though the Bills now have a quality long-term answer in place, at X receiver. The Bills have a pretty good slot WR in the form of Shakir, and they've upgraded their gadget player (Curtis Samuel instead of McKenzie). Kincaid is a very good TE, and Knox is pretty good too. Yeah, that still leaves a potential hole at Z receiver. Unless someone steps up at Z, I would anticipate them doing something about that next off-season.

This may not be so much a case of them under-prioritizing WR, so much as them having a different view of Coleman than I have. Also Diggs may have forced his way out, thereby creating a hole at Z.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Yup.  But it's a distinction without a real difference.

Yes I suppose if you are trying to argue that we have sufficiently prioritized WR in the draft the difference between the first and second round wouldn't matter much 😂😂

1 minute ago, Billl said:

You really need to just stop with this nonsense.  Your WR1 is the guy that is the most common first option in the passing game.  If that is a player who lines up out wide, they’ll typically have the other team’s best CB lined up against him if that CB travels.  If he plays in the slot, has CBs dedicated to certain sides of the field, plays zone, etc., then you’ll commonly see them help by shading a Safety or LB his way.  

Don’t believe me?  Try googling “what is a WR1 in the NFL” and see how far you have to scroll until you find something that agrees with you.  I’d suggest blocking out the rest of your evening first.

The trivial things some of you get hung up on and want to keep rehashing is comical.  

But since you want to get all uppity about it..."WR1" actually has NO official NFL designation or meaning...none at all...not as a position nor as a label as you said earlier.  It is a slang term...and the only place it is an official term is fantasy football and fantasy football ONLY.  But for some odd reason you want to waste all this time arguing the meaning(s) of a slang term.  

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Their first picks in the draft is more accurate

They didn’t use their first pick in the draft on a weapon. They used it to trade back and pickup a third. 

Beane prioritized THAT over GETTING Coleman. 

To say that’s basically the same thing as trading up for Kincaid or trading for Diggs is preposterous. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yup.  But it's a distinction without a real difference.

Just now, FireChans said:

They didn’t use their first pick in the draft on a weapon. They used it to trade back and pickup a third. 

To say that’s basically the same thing as trading up for Kincaid or trading for Diggs is preposterous. 

Or maybe, just maybe, he knows the league way better than you and knew he could trade back, get an extra pick, and still get the guy he was targeting 

• Agree 1

100% Correct. Coleman was what they had left after being unwilling to go higher but absolutely needing to draft a wideout. Using that pick as proof of investment is horrific logic

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Or maybe, just maybe, he knows the league way better than you and knew he could trade back, get an extra pick, and still get the guy he was targeting 

No one could “know” that. It’s impossible. 

He may have strongly suspected that. He may have said “there’s only a small chance we miss our guy, let’s do the trade back.”

But that still means he was willing to risk losing Coleman to make that trade. Even if he thought it was a small risk. It’s quite the opposite of “prioritizing.”

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yes I suppose if you are trying to argue that we have sufficiently prioritized WR in the draft the difference between the first and second round wouldn't matter much 😂😂

When the difference between the 1st and 2nd round is 1 pick, yeah it doesn't matter at all.

No one could “know” that. It’s impossible. 

He may have strongly suspected that. He may have said “there’s only a small chance we miss our guy, let’s do the trade back.”

But that still means he was willing to risk losing Coleman to make that trade. Even if he thought it was a small risk. It’s quite the opposite of “prioritizing.”

You don’t think he knows way more than you about what’s going on in war rooms around the league during the draft?  Get over yourself.

32 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

The bills last 2 first round picks were Kincaid and Elam...Coleman was a 2nd

Talk about disingenuous 😂😂

History will show it was a 2nd...but the reality is that the Beane took his first rounder and invested it into Keon...to deny that is just a stupid exercise for people what want to be difficult for the sake of being difficult.  Beane not only said he was taking Keon in the first before the 1 slot move back, but it was confirmed on Embedded when they showed the footage.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Just now, GoBills808 said:

You don't trade back 2x for 5 spots if the guy you want is there lol come on

If you are pretty sure he’ll be there you do.  I love how many folks here think they know more about what’s going on with other teams than an actual GM.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

You don’t think he knows way more than you about what’s going on in war rooms around the league during the draft?  Get over yourself.

He knows a lot more than me. He couldn’t know if anyone else would’ve taken Coleman. It’s impossible. 

I’m sorry this hurts your feelings. There’s a reason no one can predict the draft with 100% accuracy. It’s impossible.

This isn't difficult, the Bills traded back knowing they could get Coleman or another WR that they would have had rated right around as high as Coleman and pick up a couple more picks.  If the Bills had picked Worthy with their original pick very few people would have complained and probably would have been somewhat satisfied with how the Bills addressed the Receiver spot in the draft.   But since they picked Coleman which wasn't rated as high on TBD and it was a trade back some of those same people now believe the Receiver spot was not sufficiently addressed.

It's clear the Bills think otherwise, they disagree with all your assessments and your expert evaluations.   We'll find out soon enough if Coleman was a good selection and one side of the debate will come out on top.     My hunch is that Coleman will end up being a solid starting WR in this league.

Edited by Magox

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

History will show it was a 2nd...but the reality is that the Beane took his first rounder and invested it into Keon...to deny that is just a stupid exercise for people what want to be difficult for the sake of being difficult.  Beane not only said he was taking Keon in the first before the 1 slot move back, but it was confirmed on Embedded when they showed the footage.

The reality is he had the 28 pick, then traded back to the 32nd pick, then traded to the 33rd pick, to draft his “priority” weapon.

It doesn’t sound as convincing as the “he used his first pick on him!” take.

22 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

No, I hope not.  I don't like the idea that the FO doesn't prioritize offensive weaponry for Josh.

Having one top tier WR on your team is the average.  And at one point when we had Diggs/Brown/Beasley we were cooking.  But I think when we lost DaBoll the Bills lost a strong voice for offense and the overall plan for weaponry for Josh has suffered.

IMO, you reach a false positive conclusion by only looking at additions and not taking into account the subtractions.  To highlight this, by your account this year showed a high priority because they invested their first pick.  When in reality, we all know this has been a huge step backwards.

They extended Diggs to be here still, then restructured him last year that made moving on from him a huge cap hit...why...because they clearly believed he would be here this season still at that time.  

Now Davis, they knew they had to plan for and they looked to add a weapon last year but a run of receivers went and the best pass catcher available was Kincaid, so they took the weapon.  

So IMHO I think it is still inaccurate to say it has not been a priority and more that it was they expect to need to replace both Diggs and Davis in the same offseason.  2022 they drafted Shakir to be the future of the slot with Cole gone, 2023 they drafted Kincaid to be another weapon knowing Davis was likely gone this year, and then this year, they knew they needed to draft a WR early because Diggs situation resulted in it being best they move on from him now, even with his cap hit.  

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

You don't trade back 2x for 5 spots if the guy you want is there lol come on

Again I'll point to the video of Brandon being excited when Coleman ran a slower-than-expect 40 at the Combine.  He was also a top-30 visit (as was Worthy, who they let go to the Chefs).  And I've heard many times people saying "they could have traded down and gotten him anyway."

I guess all that's left to do is see how it all plays out.  If Coleman becomes a stud, it won't matter where he was picked.

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

He knows a lot more than me. He couldn’t know if anyone else would’ve taken Coleman. It’s impossible. 

I’m sorry this hurts your feelings. There’s a reason no one can predict the draft with 100% accuracy. It’s impossible.

What I am saying is he has conversations which led him to believe he was going to get his guy.  Which has only gone on since drafts were invented.  But I forget, you are smarter than the professionals.