I'm really starting to love this WR room. We quietly got better

20 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Dead serious- do you people actually watch football or just bills games

That question was asked on this board and a surprisingly high percentage of posters answered that they either exclusively or almost exclusively watch Bills games. That context explains a lot of posts here so I try to keep it in mind. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

"The Bills offense has been built to put up points with receivers who get open against soft, regular season coverage.   When the playoffs hit.......they lose that edge. "   

This is a really good point.

Bills WR room wasnt working for elite games, so it was a good idea to blow it up and try something different.  Maybe get some bigger, more physical receivers.  Like Kincaid, Coleman, Claypool, Hollins for Harty, Sherfield, Diggs.

Sorta what the OP was saying...

It's not what the OP is saying.   He just loves the chances of the dumpster dives succeeding.

And what the Chiefs are saying by paying Brown and drafting Worthy is that they don't like how their plan has worked.    It's made them more vulnerable in the regular season.   They know they need to be both dynamic in the regular season AND the post season.

The Bills are always a season or two behind the Chiefs in terms of strategy.

• Like (+1) 1

lol 37 pages In and as the debate rages in regards to our WR Corp this season.

suffice it to say the TBD natives are restless and NOT being quiet on this issue.

I understand the reason very well. It may or may not be the crux of our offensive seasons success or failure 

Yeah I'm not going to be convinced until I see the scoreboard. But being pessimistic just gives me too much anxiety. I need a dose of

games and no more rhetoric. But that's just me. Interesting thread though

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, FireChans said:

No they scored 21 with Henne in 2020.

You are right, I read it wrong as they lost 38-21.

However the Chiefs PPG average in 2020 was 21.4.

So it still won’t change anything, he hit their average.  Bills still avg more per game than the Chiefs from 2020-2022

22 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

It's true 

If we had a hall of Fame pass catcher and a hall of Fame offensive mind designing the offense I'd feel a lot better about comparing our wr rooms

As it stands I truly think people are going to be horrified by the passing offense this yr

I just cant project that thinking and remain Bills fan. Last year under Dorsey I reached a point of no hope and stopped watching.

I gotta have hope , or its not worth the emotional investment

Thanks for the good posts 808 :)

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So it still won’t change anything, he hit their average.  Bills still avg more per game than the Chiefs from 2020-2022

The Chiefs averaged 29.6 PPG in 2020

Are you trying to be wrong on purpose?

• Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Actually, the Chiefs had 2 of the top 32 receiving yardage producers in the NFL.

Which has been the case for them every year of Mahomes career.

They introduced Rashee Rice by putting him in the slot where he could get free releases and he produced a season that NOBODY on the Bills current WR corps has matched in their careers.

(Too bad Keon likely won't have the opportunity Rice had.......since the best 2 WR on the Bills are already slot receivers.)

So while the Chiefs aren't the Tyreek and Kelce HOF duo show anymore...........their receiving targets were still a lot better than they get credit for the past 2 seasons. 

The Bills had 2 of the top 32 receiving yardage leaders once in Josh Allen's career.   In 2020.   Which is the closest they've been to a Super Bowl. 

Thank you. Appreciate the clarification !

I still think its Coaching that gets the work done. Puts the players in a good situation to succeed.

I might call the QB rooms a wash , generally speaking. Excepting TOs by Allen. 

22 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Yes exactly

So imagine trying to say we are going to be good w a worse cast all around for 2024

No faith in Brady and Allen ? And an improved O line ?

Any discussion of receiving options that doesn't include Kincaid isn't a complete discussion.  He's going to be a focal point of the offense.

• Like (+1) 4

16 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Many of those pundits thought Allen was a reach at 7th.  And almost unanimously those pundits said Trubisky was the best QB in a draft with Mahomes and Watson.  

So...I would say it means very little.  Everyone on planet Earth is wrong more than they are right about these players and projecting who should go where, who is a reach, etc.  If you redraft every draft in history now every single one would be drastically different.  

And more importantly, deciding someone is a reach or a steal on day 3 is a total waste of time.  No one has any clue to where guys will really go and no one has any clue as to why a team likes said player or how they see the players remaining specifically fitting into their team, locker room and scheme.

But we all do it...label guys steals and reaches...but honestly way too much is made of that and it really is a waste of time.

Its just an exercise , that should not be taken too seriously.

Predicting , reacting , and then hoping to be correct.

😉

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Any discussion of receiving options that doesn't include Kincaid isn't a complete discussion.  He's going to be a focal point of the offense.

and for defenses

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

The Chiefs averaged 29.6 PPG in 2020

Are you trying to be wrong on purpose?

It said 21.4 when I googled it.  Weird.  Either way, still only 8 point difference in that one game, that isn’t enough to change anything.  

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It said 21.4 when I googled it.  Weird.  Either way, still only 8 point difference in that one game, that isn’t enough to change anything.  

Oh sure, I’ll believe you on your third try lmao

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Oh sure, I’ll believe you on your third try lmao

Bills averaged more ppg over those 3 years and you wanted to take one game out where Henne played because they had the 1 seed sewed up because you falsely thought it would make a difference.

Not only that, you’re not counting any of the games that Allen sat the whole 4th quarter or chunks of it because we were blowing teams out and the Bills took the foot off the gas.  

Bottom line is Bills averaged more points than them from 2020-2022 even though you took out 2023 to try to change the narrative which still didn’t work. 

You did your usual cherry pick certain things to make a false point.  And it once again didn’t work.  

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Bills averaged more ppg over those 3 years and you wanted to take one game out where Henne played because they had the 1 seed sewed up because you falsely thought it would make a difference.

Not only that, you’re not counting any of the games that Allen sat the whole 4th quarter or chunks of it because we were blowing teams out and the Bills took the foot off the gas.  

Bottom line is Bills averaged more points than them from 2020-2022 even though you took out 2023 to try to change the narrative which still didn’t work. 

You did your usual cherry pick certain things to make a false point.  And it once again didn’t work.  

😂

16 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What about the several 4th quarters Allen didn’t play?  We lead the league for a while in point differential and it was by a wide margin.  We had several games where we were up by 3-4 scores going into the 4th.

Allen either didn’t play or just handed the ball off.  This wasn’t one season’s worth, this was over multiple seasons.

But the point still remains….

All time great Andy Reid

All Time Great Patrick Mahomes

All Time Great Tyreek Hill

All Time Great Travis Kelce

Great QB in Allen

Terrible HC

Terrible OC’s

Terrible Offensive line

Terrible drafting

Only 1 good WR in Diggs

Somehow both of these units have similar production….hmmm

I honestly don't get it, Diggs and Davis were clearly no longer particularly crucial players to our offensive success by the end of last season.  We have players that can fill that same role on the roster, that will likely have comparable per-target production.  We had a very good offense last season. And somehow we're doomed???

The offense is going to be fine.  The lack of top-end talent will I'm sure contribute to some frustration, but I would be genuinely shocked if we were not a top 5 offense this season.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2024 at 2:24 PM, oldmanfan said:

Again try reading.  My comment was specifically in response to a take that we should have double dipped and taken a chance on Franklin in the 4th.  How is that different than already having a guy from the 5th last year?  It’s not.

Believing Franklin in the 4th (after he dropped a few rounds over projection) was an answer, while discounting other guys taken those rounds that are on the roster, is just silly.

Seems to me Samuel, Shakir, and Coleman will be the first 3 guys on the field.  Who the 4th guy would be probably won’t make a ton of difference unless a guy like Claypool gets his head out of his butt, or MVS shows up.

We didn't have an opportunity to draft him in the 4th anyways. We would have had to have taken him instead of Dewayne Carter in the 3rd or moved from 128 to the 1st Pick on Day 3 at 101.

I said that the Troy Franklin crowd had severely overhyped his status as a prospect all offseason. There were WAY more warts in his game than his fans were saying there were when I watched his stuff beyond the highlight reel. I had him as a mid 2nd - early 3rd Round prospect. And that was before the reports of him bombing interviews came out.

We met with him at the Combine. We were at his Pro Day, where he strangely decided to stick to his times in his (abysmal) 10 Yard and (lower than expected) 40 Yard Dashes - even though he claimed the bad performances were due to him being sick. We brought him in for a visit and even worked him out again, essentially to give him a do over of the Combine. After all of that, at picks 60 and 95, Beane wasn't interested in Drafting him. And no team in the entire league was interested in taking him until Round 4.

Beane and the entire league determined in scouting him and meeting with him that he's not a prospect that can be relied upon in Year 1, if at all. If he were, he'd have been selected where his fanbase pre-Draft assumed he'd go and not on Day 3. And honestly, i'd have been interested to see where he was selected if Denver hadn't selected his College QB in Round 1 (as I think that played a role in his selection). 

Knowing all of that, it blows my mind that not selecting him seems to be the main argument and swaying point most go to when it comes to Beane addressing or not addressing the WR core adequately.

He determined he was better off going with MVS and Claypool this year then he was with someone viewed as a risky project by not only him, but the entire league. I don't see that as an insane decision based on what the league as a whole thought of Franklin - as well as every Outside prospect from 60 onwards.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

5 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

27th ranked in the league.  I'm so on love with this group says TBD.  Just like Harty and Sherfield the excitement was insane

There’s more than enough for Allen to do what he needs to do. Samuel, Kincaid, Shakir, Coleman, Knox, Cook and Davis etc.

I will also say one more thing for you to ponder. It’s possible that Buffalo may add another WR sometime between now and the start of the season.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

How did you actually believe that the Chiefs only scored 21.4 points per game in 2020?

Even a casual observer should have known that was wrong.   That's really surprising.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

There’s more than enough for Allen to do what he needs to do. Samuel, Kincaid, Shakir, Coleman, Knox, Cook and Davis etc.

I will also say one more thing for you to ponder. It’s possible that Buffalo may add another WR sometime between now and the start of the season.

So to point 1. We’re fine. Allen’s fine. Everything is fine. 

point 2. Don’t worry we still might add more. 

got it. 

15 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

27th ranked in the league.  I'm so on love with this group says TBD.  Just like Harty and Sherfield the excitement was insane

In the case of Harty & Sherfield, Bills fans were largely hopeful that they could contribute at a high level.  And while they were a general disappointment they also made a couple of insanely great plays to help beat Miami and win the Division.

IMO Samuel is heads and shoulders better then Sherfield or Harty.  He has produced very good stats given the offenses and QB's he has been operating under.  I suspect that at minimum he will have the same impact as a 2019 Beasley did and that would make this a solid WR room.

1 hour ago, mrags said:

So to point 1. We’re fine. Allen’s fine. Everything is fine. 

point 2. Don’t worry we still might add more. 

got it. 

It seems reasonable to believe that both of these things can be true.