I'm really starting to love this WR room. We quietly got better

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

My thinking is that if you think a player is good enough, take him. If you like a player THAT much, why trade down not once but twice and for minimal return?

In other words, McDermott took two chances on losing Coleman. I hope the kid is a superstar but if they were willing to gamble that much on losing out on him, how good should I expect him to be? 

How would you explain what happened?

Jesus Christ, Bill, it's not rocket surgery.

Beane hated not having a 3rd rounder in this draft.  It's not about "how much" they wanted Coleman, it's that they wanted him if he was available and they could acquire the extra draft capital they sought.

Your crusade against McDermott, and Beane by proxy, is absolutely insane.  They've made plenty of bad decisions but the good ones far outweigh them.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Because imo, he has far too much power in the organization and he is too defense oriented, thus depriving a GREAT quarterback (the best we ever had), of weapons he could use to win us a Super Bowl.

No why is Beane an afterthought? He’s McD’s guy?

49 minutes ago, mrags said:

I’m just spitballing here, to add to this as well as @GunnerBills post. Maybe, just maybe, he drafts for what his HCs philosophy is. Let’s not all forget he had Ron Rivera. The same guy that McDermott cut his teeth with. Let’s not assume that it’s Beanes practice or drafting, over drafting, and spending countless resources on defense on his own will. 

McDermott did not "cut his teeth" with Rivera. Their schemes have similarity but are not the same. Sure, Beane worked in Carolina with two GMs who had defensive head coaches too in Fox and Rivera, but at the same time you are asking us to ignore the clear pattern and ignore what Beane himself says in order to pin what you don't like on McDermott. I think that is a leap in logic. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

If he’s just McD’s patsty and doing whatever he wants, what is his value?

Like I said before his value is as an executive and front man for the organization. He has added enough talent to the roster to keep us competitive year after year. He has a good relationship with agents and other GMs and has surrounded himself with good people in the front office. The Bills as an organization have a very strong reputation and are known to be well run, which is why they're constantly getting poached. Beane is the man primarily responsible for all of that. I like the stability that he's brought here and would prefer to see that stability continue even if McDermott is replaced.

That being said I'm not like some of you guys with McDermott where I'm going to defend keeping Beane to my grave, like it would be a personal offense to see him get fired. If firing McDermott means firing him too, I'm good with that. If the next head coach says I'm filling the front office with my guys or it's no deal, of course I'm good with that too. I just think Beane with an offensive head coach would probably approach his resource management differently and I'd like to see how that would work more than I'd like to see him fired.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He has added enough talent to the roster to keep us competitive year after year.

Oh no no no no. You folks said that what McD is doing is baseline what every HC could do with Allen as QB. Now it’s Beane keeping the roster stocked with talent to keep us competitive? 

Hard to be consistent on the “team success is all Allen, not coaching” train I suppose.

Fair enough with the rest, I do think he’s a good frontman and the Bills are a professional operation now finally. But with that rebuild kinda over, I feel like it’s easier to take over and maintain that rep, personally.

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, FireChans said:

You folks said that what McD is doing is baseline what every HC could do with Allen as QB. Now it’s Beane keeping the roster stocked with talent to keep us competitive? 

I've never tried to say it's literally all Allen. That would make me a hypocrite because I've said Mahomes has gotten more help from his roster than Allen has. What I do believe is that most head coaches could do what McDermott has done with Allen and the other talent that Beane has added over the years, and many coaches would have done more.

But like I said I don't have it in me to go back and forth on the merits of keeping Beane. Whatever needs to happen to change the fundamental priorities of the organization, I am all for it. If I'm wrong about Beane and he's the one setting the investment priorities, then yeah get him outta here too.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mrags said:

I’m not against it by any means. 

and I do like Ben Johnson, but I never said he was my wish. I just hate McDermott and want him gone and would prefer a money with a clipboard over him. 

talk about Stockholm syndrome btw. Pretty sure everyone here that still backs this coach has it. 

Have you, ya know…..talked to any professionals?   🤷‍♂️

But I give you credit for not trying to sugar coat it.   😋

Edited by Augie

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

McDermott did not "cut his teeth" with Rivera. Their schemes have similarity but are not the same. Sure, Beane worked in Carolina with two GMs who had defensive head coaches too in Fox and Rivera, but at the same time you are asking us to ignore the clear pattern and ignore what Beane himself says in order to pin what you don't like on McDermott. I think that is a leap in logic. 

He was a DC for 2 years in Philly and never cracked the top half of the league in defensive rankings. He was a DC for 6 years under Rivera as HC. Before that he was a position coach under Johnson in Philly, under Reid. I’d say that 2 years as a failing DC doesn’t qualify him to consider anyone but Rivera as his mentor. Who is a disciple of Reid anyway. But we all know that Rivera and McDermott are nothing like Reid. Harbaugh who is a Reid disciple, on the other hand is very close. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, 34-78-83 said:

Rushing attempts 2023 - 509 attempts

Passing attempts 2023 - 395 attempts

Total offensive plays - 904

509 (rushes) = 56.3 % of total plays run

I am not wrong.

Yes, they are run heavy... Are there more run heavy teams in the ACC? Yes... There are 2 that I can see off hand without doing the math.

Am I trying to make a point that Coleman was limited by the Run heavy offense? NO

Edit - I AM wrong ( Seminole Stat page I pulled showed 2023 but they were the 2022 stats). So I would tend to agree that they weren't run biased enough to be called Run Heavy in 2023. carry on

Yes,  you are wrong.  

And yet, for some reason you keep your wrong numbers in the post even though you know it.

And you were compelled to jump into the argument because @Eastport bills made it sound legit with his conviction and refusal to admit that his stats/facts were false.

But the footnote at the bottom is more acknowledgement than @Eastport bills gave for all his bullsh!t,  fabricated stats so I guess you get a participation trophy.

There is no place for intentional lying about stats in sport discussion.

Even the lowest forms of professional sports talk.........ESPN afternoon TV shows and talk radio.........DO NOT CREATE FALSE STATS to make their arguments.

Save that vile sh!t for the political board. 

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

Have you, ya know…..talked to any professionals?   🤷‍♂️

But I give you credit for not trying to sugar coat it.   😋

Let me know when you have availability, Freud. 

24 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I see this has gone off the rails from the OP's original post and degenerated into another fire McD or Beane or both conversation

Sh!t runs downhill.   You should know that living in a flood plain and being an Orioles fan.

Blame the rank source material provided by the OP @JerseyBills.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Sh!t runs downhill.   You should know that living in a flood plain and being an Orioles fan.

Blame the rank source material provided by the OP @JerseyBills.

A) i don't live in a flood plain and B) Look whos in 1st place and have a 5-2 record against the Yanks this year

Do you just try to make people here dislike you?

Edited by Mike in Horseheads

11 minutes ago, mrags said:

Let me know when you have availability, Freud. 

I think a monkey with a clipboard would get ENORMOUS ratings, so don’t be surprised if Goodell has something to say about this. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

I think a monkey with a clipboard would get ENORMOUS ratings, so don’t be surprised if Goodell has something to say about this. 

Wouldn’t THAT be salt in the wound? The Chiefs get Taylor Swift, and we get a monkey with a clipboard! 

8 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

A) i don't live in a flood plain and B) Look whos in 1st place and have a 5-2 record against the Yanks this year

Do you just try to make people here dislike you?

Why is it that trolls like you and @Royale with Cheese or @eballwho jump in to threads to add nothing to the conversation are so thin skinned?

A)  "Flooding is a fact of life in Horseheads"

https://townofhorseheads.org/166/Flood

B)  I was referring to things like 14 straight losing seasons.  Making the playoffs twice in 28 years.   The 2018 team that was the second worst MLB team since WWII and finished 61 games back.:lol:   It's been a long 40 years for you sh!tbirds fans.   Meanwhile those Yankees are on their way to a 32nd straight winning season. :beer:

• Eyeroll 1

Posted (edited)

Josh Allen will have to spread the ball around to get the most out of this group.

I think if Shakir and Coleman step up we are more than fine at WR. I think Samuel will have his best season as a pro, as he’s more of a known commodity at this point. I think between them and Kincaid, Knox, Cook and Davis we have a pretty good group.

Edited by Victory Formation
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2024-receiving-corps-rankings-bears-texans

27. BUFFALO BILLS

The Bills' losses of Stefon Diggs and Gabe Davis (much more Diggs than Davis) make it difficult to place them any higher on this list. Keon Coleman, Khalil Shakir and Curtis Samuel could be a nice trio in the long-term, but that's outside of our scope here. 

Buffalo's tight end room does give the receiving corps a boost, headlined by Dalton Kincaid and Dawson Knox. Running back James Cook didn’t grade well as a receiver last season (54.3 grade), but he does have good ability in that area. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2024-receiving-corps-rankings-bears-texans

27. BUFFALO BILLS

The Bills' losses of Stefon Diggs and Gabe Davis (much more Diggs than Davis) make it difficult to place them any higher on this list. Keon Coleman, Khalil Shakir and Curtis Samuel could be a nice trio in the long-term, but that's outside of our scope here. 

Buffalo's tight end room does give the receiving corps a boost, headlined by Dalton Kincaid and Dawson Knox. Running back James Cook didn’t grade well as a receiver last season (54.3 grade), but he does have good ability in that area. 

I think that is totally fair.

• Agree 7