I'm really starting to love this WR room. We quietly got better

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think there’s a real chance Cee Dee Lamb and Dallas don’t get a contract done. Something to watch. 

They are not going to get in cap hell again after the purge (at least this soon)

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

Now...it's completely valid to say that Stefon Diggs was likely in the Bills' plans for this coming season, that his departure was somewhat unexpected to them, and that given the cap situation, their hands were a bit tied as to how much they could really do to respond. I don't think that's ENTIRELY valid, because I would counter that they could've drafted more than one receiver in a loaded WR draft, could've traded a pick for another team's receiver and given that player an extension, etc.

While Diggs departure may have been somewhat unexpected, the FO seems to have been caught completely off-guard.  Some responsibility comes from the past neglect (Elam over C Watkins or Pickens for example).   And as you mention the post moves have been just so weak - no big FA, no double dip, and no trade.

I think I have moved into the Anger portion of the grief stage.  I don't like the lack of weapons and now blame the entire FO Beane/McD/Brady team.  We see SF doing a double dip when they have Deebo/Aiyuk/McCaffery and Kittle.   Watching an offensive minded coach at Tenn who has DHop and Burk add in C Ridley and Boyd.  I want that kind of thought process here and see Josh cook.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think there’s a real chance Cee Dee Lamb and Dallas don’t get a contract done. Something to watch. 

Well, we sure could use a slot WR. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Haha (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

What’s the point of continuing with this. You’re convinced the Bills can’t win with these receivers. Who cares about Fla State run statistics? You’re grasping at straws with cherry-picked stats to what end?You have an opinion and you want people to accept it. Negativity is your starting point. You don’t acknowledge anything positive and you can’t accept the benefit a QB like #17 has on a young player. I can’t engage in this anymore. Thanks.

The point of continuing with it was to prevent you from spreading false stats to the readers of this forum.    

Each of which was more absurdly false than the next.

That's just weird, creepy, self-serving, fraudulent behavior.

Unless you saw those same stats posted here by some other ahole.   Which is quite possible.

In which case, you should thank me for pointing out facts that you could have searched for accuracy in a manner of seconds instead of just buying it as fact and subsequently looking the fool for it.

We don't all know that in 2023 Florida State was a run-first team.........because they clearly WERE NOT............but what we do all know is that if you say it on the internet a lot of people will believe it and might very well parrot those lies.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

To me, it's not a question of "can Josh Allen make chicken salad out of chicken *****" with an average to subpar receiving group?". He can, and has.

To me, the pertinent question is "have the Bills put Josh Allen in the best possible position to succeed to the best of his capabilities?", and to me, the answer appears to be a no.

Now...it's completely valid to say that Stefon Diggs was likely in the Bills' plans for this coming season, that his departure was somewhat unexpected to them, and that given the cap situation, their hands were a bit tied as to how much they could really do to respond. I don't think that's ENTIRELY valid, because I would counter that they could've drafted more than one receiver in a loaded WR draft, could've traded a pick for another team's receiver and given that player an extension, etc.

In any case, if the statement is "our offense will be just fine regardless of our WR corps because Josh Allen is our QB", then I agree. If the statement is "the Bills have put Allen in an optimal situation to maximize his production and be the best player he can be", I disagree. And that's what keeps on seeming to happen, in my opinion: the Bills keep turning to Josh Allen and saying "hey buddy, we're gonna need you to put on the cape most weeks in order for our team to win", and I don't think that's a desirable, sustainable, or particularly fair or wise strategy.

Yep.

And even though he likes going out there and being violent.........when he breaks his collar bone struggling for extra yards on a critical 4th and something play because his weapons aren't good enough to keep the chains moving..........and ends up watching half the season from the sideline.........those pending QB vacancies for QB-friendly HC's in his home state of California may start looking a lot more interesting.

People don't realize it........but the reason that Aaron Rodgers didn't finish his career as a Packer is that the Packers played this same game with him for a decade.   Don't think that Allen's buddies Brady and Rodgers haven't told him not to trust that the organization has his best interest in mind and will eventually give him the weapons he needs.   They both got boned for their loyalty.  Brady got left hanging with no weapons and was pushed out the door by Belichick and Rodgers got his replacement drafted in round 1 after 13 straight years of defensive first round picks.  

I'm sure their advice is don't wait until you are 36 to be where you aren't taken for granted.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yep.

And even though he likes going out there and being violent.........when he breaks his collar bone struggling for extra yards on a critical 4th and something play because his weapons aren't good enough to keep the chains moving..........and ends up watching half the season from the sideline.........those pending QB vacancies for QB-friendly HC's in his home state of California may start looking a lot more interesting.

People don't realize it........but the reason that Aaron Rodgers didn't finish his career as a Packer is that the Packers played this same game with him for a decade.   Don't think that Allen's buddies Brady and Rodgers haven't told him not to trust that the organization has his best interest in mind and will eventually give him the weapons he needs.   They both got boned for their loyalty.  Brady got left hanging with no weapons and was pushed out the door by Belichick and Rodgers got his replacement drafted in round 1 after 13 straight years of defensive first round picks.  

I'm sure their advice is don't wait until you are 36 to be where you aren't taken for granted.

Good lord, the DRAMA…you should write a made-for-TV Lifetime movie about all of this. 

Hilarious. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yep.

yeah exactly this

i don't understand why people think it's so inconceivable allen wouldnt go for an extension here...this has not exactly been what i'd call catering to your qb

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, eball said:

Good lord, the DRAMA…you should write a made-for-TV Lifetime movie about all of this. 

Hilarious. 

It doesn't live up to the real-life drama of you writing the Bills organization a strongly worded letter to inform them that you were dropping your 26 year season tickets because they replaced Rex Ryan with this McDermott guy.

And of course........then........subsequently crying and begging on TSW in January of 2021 trying to get tickets to the first home playoff game since 1995.

Futilely, I might add.

That was real drama.     

And really,  truly f#cking hilarious. :lol:

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

yeah exactly this

i don't understand why people think it's so inconceivable allen wouldnt go for an extension here...this has not exactly been what i'd call catering to your qb

Yeah it's bad enough he's saddled with a defensive minded HC and is then dealing with the constant threat of coordinator and system changes.  

And to be stuck in a conference with Mahomes and Burrow and their HC situations.    

But to not make putting WR talent around him a top priority?

You can't expect the QB to tolerate all of those handicaps when the defense then keeps falling apart in the playoffs year-after-year.

They are giving him a lot of reason to think about the naturally greener pastures........which just so happen to be where he was born and raised.........or currently makes his home and where his girlfriend works etc. etc..

They can't keep him here if he doesn't feel this is the best place for his career.  

I doubt anyone in the Buffalo media even dares asking him this summer if he foresees finishing his career in Buffalo.    I'd suspect a much more measured answer at this point than 4 years ago.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Billl said:

I just watched a different angle of that play, and it didn’t actually go through Sauce’s hands.  It was just out of his reach, just an absolute piss rod of a throw.  There’s no more than a handful of QBs in the league who can make that throw at all and zero who can make it often enough for it to be considered a route won by the WR.  Shakir gets credit for the run afterwards, but he gets about 1% of the credit for the completion.  The rest goes to Josh for hitting a throw with a ridiculously high degree of difficulty.

Good on you for the moxie to come here and acknowledge that you were mistaken

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I don't like the lack of weapons and now blame the entire FO Beane/McD/Brady team.  We see SF doing a double dip when they have Deebo/Aiyuk/McCaffery and Kittle.   Watching an offensive minded coach at Tenn who has DHop and Burk add in C Ridley and Boyd.  I want that kind of thought process here and see Josh cook.

Yeah it's obvious to me that an offensive head coach would change the investment priorities of the organization. The idea that Beane is pushing forward with a defense first philosophy with little to no input from McDermott doesn't make any sense at all. Beane scouts the talent and picks the players but McDermott sets the broad goals of the organization. That's how all NFL regimes are run these days.

So despite Beane's faults I'd be interested to see him build the team with different organizational directives guiding him. He's a great executive and front man for the organization, but he needs a strong voice in the room telling him, for example, you don't publicly congratulate yourself for landing a safety in the 2nd round after foolishly attempting to trade up for him. As opposed to McDermott who surely told him he needed his Hyde/Poyer replacement at all costs.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Can't speak for how Allen is thinking about his career in B'lo.  Neither can you.  But as for GB: Oh boo hoo for poor Aaron.

He can't have it both ways....there was a point a few years back, 2019 I think, where ol' A-rod was all smiles and nods because "we finally have a defense".  Well, if you want a defense, you need defenders, and with Rodgers contract that means draft 'em.

Rodgers started out his career throwing to Jennings (Packers 2006 2nd round pick) who had 3 consecutive 1100+ yd seasons, top 10 and top 5 in the league, with the aging but still capable GB homie Driver putting up 1000 yd seasons right behind him. 

They drafted Jordy Nelson with their top pick (it was a 2nd rounder) in 2008, who took a couple years to push his way into the GB starting lineup but then developed a pretty legendary connection with Rodgers.

2011 added Randall Cobb in the 2nd and 2014, Davante Adams, who became one of the best WR in the league when playing for GB

Did drafting Love in the 1st round piss Rodgers off, sure.  Did the Packers spend too many high picks on defense over the years?  OK, I can get that argument.  Stuck with McCarthy too long?  I'm listening.  Underinvest in WR after moving on from Adams?  Yes, certainly, although some of the same room Rodgers had in 2022 were looking pretty good with Love last season, so perhaps Rodgers was part of the problem.

But let's not re-write history to act as though the Packers didn't provide Rodgers with WR talent the first decade of his career.  Jennings, Driver, Nelson then Nelson, Adams, Cobb  (not necessarily in that order) were two pretty potent WR rooms.

And, as pointed out above, at the point where Nelson moved on from GB, Rodgers still had Adams and the thing Rodgers himself took shots at was the team's lack of D

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I agree. That’s a different point though. For all of those people “really starting to love the WR room” it’s important to realize that these guys will face scheme and talent that they hadn’t prior. Diggs accounted for A LOT of that. The space will get smaller and the windows tighter. There is not a guy on this team that has Diggs’ talent or separation ability. This room got different. A reasonable argument can’t be made (at this point) that they got better.

Completely agree with this point.

There may be enough in the WR room.  Some of us are skeptical.  Time will tell.  But to anoint the room at this point as having gotten better?

Nah.  No basis for that.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

What a dumba$$ response.

The point is simple.........appreciate when you have a great thing.

People act like Allen is tied to a 40 year lease or something.

Dude is from CA,  he owns a house in LA,  would golf every day if he could and his significant other happens to be a busy actress there.

Are you dumb enough to not realize that it's crossed his mind that he could live AND play where he wants to?

It's not like he'd be walking away from a great organization.   And McVay has been to 2 SB's and so has Shanahan.  

He could easily be up there on a podium a couple years from now saying how tough a decision it was but he had to do what was right for him.

Job #1 of any organization with an elite QB is to make that QB look as good as he can.    They aren't doing that.   To think he doesn't ealize that is to think he is an idiot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What a dumba$$ response.

The point is simple.........appreciate when you have a great thing.

People act like Allen is tied to a 40 year lease or something.

Dude is from CA,  he owns a house in LA,  would golf every day if he could and his significant other happens to be a busy actress there.

Are you dumb enough to not realize that it's crossed his mind that he could live AND play where he wants to?

It's not like he'd be walking away from a great organization.   And McVay has been to 2 SB's and so has Shanahan.  

He could easily be up there on a podium a couple years from now saying how tough a decision it was but he had to do what was right for him.

Job #1 of any organization with an elite QB is to make that QB look as good as he can.    They aren't doing that.   To think he doesn't ealize that is to think he is an idiot.

This is a wild statement. 

You don't think Allen knew about Samuel,MVS,Coleman and signed off on it??? This isn’t the 2010 Bills..

Allen knew Diggs was being traded and this is pure speculation but I believe he signed off on that as well..

You watch the Brady offense, which is only a few games and he runs the ball effectively and 17 is more of a point guard, not having to play hero ball as much. We have an elite GM,HC and staff. 

Look at a Herbert, had 2 big time WRs and did nothing,  it's hard to win in the nfl. Apparently you know better than Beane,  thinking that the Bills aren't doing everything possible to win a sb with an elite qb.. such a ridiculous statement 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah it's obvious to me that an offensive head coach would change the investment priorities of the organization. The idea that Beane is pushing forward with a defense first philosophy with little to no input from McDermott doesn't make any sense at all. Beane scouts the talent and picks the players but McDermott sets the broad goals of the organization. That's how all NFL regimes are run these days.

So despite Beane's faults I'd be interested to see him build the team with different organizational directives guiding him. He's a great executive and front man for the organization, but he needs a strong voice in the room telling him, for example, you don't publicly congratulate yourself for landing a safety in the 2nd round after foolishly attempting to trade up for him. As opposed to McDermott who surely told him he needed his Hyde/Poyer replacement at all costs.

For sure McDermott drives the organisational goals. But Beane's drafting is what he grew up in the NFL with. Like it is ridiculously close to the exact drafting profile of Carolina (in terms of positional prioritisation). Maybe that is pure coincidence, but I think it is naive to believe that. I think unless you had someone really pressuring him to draft a different way this is who he is and this is how he would draft regardless of who the coach is. Would he work for a different Head Coach who was really pushing him to draft offense early way more often? Maybe. There are only 32 of these jobs. But I don't get the sense than Brandon Beane's priority is protecting his own ass. That has never been how he comes across to me. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I can except your thought process, I think though that that any defense will only double the guy on a passing play that they believe is the biggest threat, that will alleviate some of the coverage issues for the other receivers, just a thought…, 

Perhaps

I don’t see any of these guys requiring an extra body at this point. That just means that extra body can be used to roam or make certain lanes crowded. Maybe that extra body is used to spy Josh? That’ll make it harder for him to run. There are lots of reasons not having elite skill players hinders your offense. This thought train is just one…

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Logic said:

To me, it's not a question of "can Josh Allen make chicken salad out of chicken *****" with an average to subpar receiving group?". He can, and has.

To me, the pertinent question is "have the Bills put Josh Allen in the best possible position to succeed to the best of his capabilities?", and to me, the answer appears to be a no.

In any case, if the statement is "our offense will be just fine regardless of our WR corps because Josh Allen is our QB", then I agree. If the statement is "the Bills have put Allen in an optimal situation to maximize his production and be the best player he can be", I disagree. And that's what keeps on seeming to happen, in my opinion: the Bills keep turning to Josh Allen and saying "hey buddy, we're gonna need you to put on the cape most weeks in order for our team to win", and I don't think that's a desirable, sustainable, or particularly fair or wise strategy.

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Perhaps

I don’t see any of these guys requiring an extra body at this point. That just means that extra body can be used to roam or make certain lanes crowded. Maybe that extra body is used to spy Josh? That’ll make it harder for him to run. There are lots of reasons not having elite skill players hinders your offense. This thought train is just one…

Yea if a guy starts making plays early on and demonstrates they are the focus of the offense then teams will adjust and you might get them doubling a guy. But out of the gate they are going to use that spare defender to create confusion for the offense or to play Josh directly, delayed blitzes, spy, simulated pressures that drop out and force him to hold the ball. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah it's bad enough he's saddled with a defensive minded HC and is then dealing with the constant threat of coordinator and system changes.  

And to be stuck in a conference with Mahomes and Burrow and their HC situations.    

But to not make putting WR talent around him a top priority?

You can't expect the QB to tolerate all of those handicaps when the defense then keeps falling apart in the playoffs year-after-year.

Well, at least McDermott got him a receiver early in this draft (after trading down twice for minimal return). He showed Josh just how much he wanted to bring him weapons.

You see? With McDermott calling the shots there is always good news. 

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The point of continuing with it was to prevent you from spreading false stats to the readers of this forum.    

Each of which was more absurdly false than the next.

That's just weird, creepy, self-serving, fraudulent behavior.

Unless you saw those same stats posted here by some other ahole.   Which is quite possible.

In which case, you should thank me for pointing out facts that you could have searched for accuracy in a manner of seconds instead of just buying it as fact and subsequently looking the fool for it.

We don't all know that in 2023 Florida State was a run-first team.........because they clearly WERE NOT............but what we do all know is that if you say it on the internet a lot of people will believe it and might very well parrot those lies.   

Now you’re protecting the board from false facts? You’re just a frustrated individual with deep seated psychological issues. I naively waded into this conversation thinking it was about receivers. Please consider getting some help. The board should be insulated from this type of weird behavior.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 3