Pete Prisco's Top 100 NFL Players

jahnyc

Just now, Big Turk said:

Yes, because he controls how much he was used or not used.  Makes perfect sense.  

Spiller was used to absolute perfection by Gailey. He wasn’t used more because Chan knew his productivity would fall off a cliff. Which it did, the second Chan was fired after that season.

Not sure if you noticed, but “elite” Spiller never ran for a thousand yards again after that. He was never elite - but he was perfectly used by Gailey.

But we can agree to disagree. A player without a top 7 stat in rushing yards, rushing TD’s and rushing yards per game is not “elite” in my opinion. 

23 hours ago, warrior9 said:

Taron Johnson is an elite nickel, Ed Oliver should have been All-Pro last year. Dion Dawkins is top 5 at his position, Cook was #4 in yards for RB last year. Torrence was on the All-Rookie team, Milano was an All-Pro before horrible turf ended his season.

We just have Allen? LOL 

Ed should not have been all pro last year.  Lots of DTs had great season last year

agree with the rest

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Spiller was used to absolute perfection by Gailey. He wasn’t used more because Chan knew his productivity would fall off a cliff. Which it did, the second Chan was fired after that season.

Not sure if you noticed, but “elite” Spiller never ran for a thousand yards again after that. He was never elite - but he was perfectly used by Gailey.

But we can agree to disagree. A player without a top 7 stat in rushing yards, rushing TD’s and rushing yards per game is not “elite” in my opinion. 

A player tied for #1 in the NFL in RB yards per carry with the MVP that year AP on over 200 carries and 2nd in yards per reception for RBs to only Danny Woodhead who was basically used as a receiving back only by the Patriots in a season is elite by any standard except one that makes no logical sense.

Edited by Big Turk

7 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Don’t forget the 2016 5.7YPC / 8TD elite season that Touchdown Mike Gillislee had.  Super elite! 

Right.

Everyone gets a gold star!

Some folks on here are funny. They can never admit they’re wrong or misspoke. I always know they’re backed in to a corner and have nothing to say when they resort to some quip about my username. It’s like clockwork.

Meh, let me have the last word.

Just now, Einstein said:

Right.

Some folks on here are funny. They can never admit they’re wrong or misspoke. I always know they’re backed in to a corner and have nothing to say when they resort to some quip about my username. It’s like clockwork.

More like it's like trying to have a conversation based on logic with a rock outside in my garden.

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Ed should not have been all pro last year.  Lots of DTs had great season last year

agree with the rest

He also mentioned Taron Johnson, who while good last year and I love him as a player, was not elite. Hopefully he returns to form this year. He single handily lost us a game, and should have lost us a second one but the refs thankfully didn’t call him for one of the most brutal pass interferences i’ve seen in a while.

PFF had Dawkins ranked as the 21st tackle last season. Which puts him just outside the top 10, which is also good, but not elite. I think i’d rate him a tad higher.

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Right.

I thought he was pretty dam good last season

Just now, NewEra said:

I thought he was pretty dam good last season

He was. Surprisingly so. But he wasn’t elite (or close to it). Bills used him really well though. And I think he’ll be even better this season. 

2023 was an odd outlier of a year for all RB’s which is why Cook ranked pretty high. But for example, just the previous year (2022), Cooks 2023 stats would have put him at 11th in rushing yards, 62nd in rushing TD’s, and 14th in rushing first downs.

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

He was. Surprisingly so. But he wasn’t elite (or close to it). Bills used him really well though. And I think he’ll be even better this season. 

2023 was an odd outlier of a year for all RB’s which is why Cook ranked pretty high. But for example, just the previous year (2022), Cooks 2023 stats would have put him at 11th in rushing yards, 62nd in rushing TD’s, and 14th in rushing first downs.

He was “surprising good” last season to me.  He’s a helluva player and an elite slot corner imo.  He might be the most important piece to our defenses success based on what he’s asked to do playing 80-100% of the snaps 

I never said Cook was elite- not sure why the convo shifted to him. 

36 minutes ago, Einstein said:

He also mentioned Taron Johnson, who while good last year and I love him as a player, was not elite. Hopefully he returns to form this year. He single handily lost us a game, and should have lost us a second one but the refs thankfully didn’t call him for one of the most brutal pass interferences i’ve seen in a while.

PFF had Dawkins ranked as the 21st tackle last season. Which puts him just outside the top 10, which is also good, but not elite. I think i’d rate him a tad higher.

So you're going to use PFF to say Dion wasn't great last season but disregard the Taron Johnson PFF grade because of 1 play? He was literally 4th best in the NFL..

“Johnson has earned an 82.8 coverage grade over the last two years, eighth in the NFL,” Kosko wrote. “He is also another player who prevents separation at a high level, ranking fifth in the advanced metrics. The six-year pro has been vital to the success of the Bills' defense for several years.”

BTW, that 8th is out of ALL corners. 

He was elite my man. 

Edited by warrior9

On 6/25/2024 at 9:33 AM, warrior9 said:

Taron Johnson is an elite nickel, Ed Oliver should have been All-Pro last year. Dion Dawkins is top 5 at his position, Cook was #4 in yards for RB last year. Torrence was on the All-Rookie team, Milano was an All-Pro before horrible turf ended his season.

We just have Allen? LOL 

We have talent, obviously.  Beane has drafted well.  We've never had a Tyreek Hill (Diggs was not that)  We don't have a Kelce or Jones yet.  Maybe Kincaid becomes that.  I don't know that Oliver ever will, we'll see. 

At some point, we can't what-if with injuries.. every year KC is healthier than us in the postseason.  If all it is, is luck, at some point we have to just hope the shoe is on the other foot.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He was “surprising good” last season to me.  He’s a helluva player and an elite slot corner imo.  He might be the most important piece to our defenses success based on what he’s asked to do playing 80-100% of the snaps 

I never said Cook was elite- not sure why the convo shifted to him. 

Sorry I misunderstood. I thought you were referencing both Cook and Taron. My fault.

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

We have talent, obviously.  Beane has drafted well.  We've never had a Tyreek Hill (Diggs was not that)  We don't have a Kelce or Jones yet.  Maybe Kincaid becomes that.  I don't know that Oliver ever will, we'll see. 

At some point, we can't what-if with injuries.. every year KC is healthier than us in the postseason.  If all it is, is luck, at some point we have to just hope the shoe is on the other foot.

We literally had one injury last year. Douglass was just as good, if not better, than Tre. I didn't use the what-if with injuries, I'm talking specifically in terms of talent with Milano.

Literally only one team has Tyreek Hill and the team that traded him away has won 2 Super Bowls since him leaving. It's more on the QB / OC than anyone here realizes. 

I genuinely believe we have more talent than KC but we have a far worse HC / OC than KC and that's the determining factor. 

12 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

So you're going to use PFF to say Dion wasn't great last season but disregard the Taron Johnson PFF grade because of 1 play? He was literally 4th best in the NFL..

“Johnson has earned an 82.8 coverage grade over the last two years, eighth in the NFL,” Kosko wrote. “He is also another player who prevents separation at a high level, ranking fifth in the advanced metrics. The six-year pro has been vital to the success of the Bills' defense for several years.”

He was elite my man. 

No, he was ranked 18th last aeaosn. No-where near #4.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-highest-graded-cornerbacks-2023-nfl-season

Elite would be top 5.

Taron is great, but he had rough stretches last season. He was still quite good, but he wasn’t elite last year. He was elite in 2022.

9 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

We literally had one injury last year. Douglass was just as good, if not better, than Tre. I didn't use the what-if with injuries, I'm talking specifically in terms of talent with Milano.

Literally only one team has Tyreek Hill and the team that traded him away has won 2 Super Bowls since him leaving. It's more on the QB / OC than anyone here realizes. 

I genuinely believe we have more talent than KC but we have a far worse HC / OC than KC and that's the determining factor. 

We definitely didn't go into that KC game with one injury.

Take Tre out of it because he barely played the past two years..  We were down, Milano, Bernard and Gabe, plus all our playable LB depth and Douglas was maybe 30% out there.  Team was a mess.. and somehow if any of our DL guys have a nagging injury, it derails them, as Rousseau, Floyd and AJE were not the same after getting banged up during the season.  

We've had serious injury issues going into the playoffs lately, whether in numbers or key players.. but I'm not sure how to even address that.  

....aside from one of these years getting the 1 seed to rest up, which is the one area where Mahomes > Allen, because he's more consistent game to game in the regular season.  Last year KC went road warrior against our mash unit and fraud-Lamar, but the year before they had a bye, Jacksonville and only had to play one of BUF/CIN.. it matters. 

Edited by SCBills

13 minutes ago, Einstein said:

No, he was ranked 18th last aeaosn. No-where near #4.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-highest-graded-cornerbacks-2023-nfl-season

Elite would be top 5.

Taron is great, but he had rough stretches last season. He was still quite good, but he wasn’t elite last year. He was elite in 2022.

I “Johnson has earned an 82.8 coverage grade over the last two years, eighth in the NFL,” Kosko wrote. “He is also another player who prevents separation at a high level, ranking fifth in the advanced metrics. The six-year pro has been vital to the success of the Bills' defense for several years.” 

This is from June of this year and he was second team all pro last year.

So PFF weighs more than being All-Pro? Second team All-Pro isn't elite? Yikes 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2024 at 11:55 AM, Einstein said:

Beane is an A+ general manager in terms of constructing a solid top-to-bottom roster.  But he has struggled mightily to get elite talent. I think that is part of the reason he swung for the fences with Von Miller.

The Chiefs have 4 legitimate All-Star players in Mahomes, Jones, Kelce, and McDuffie.

Bengals have Burrow, Chase, and Hendrickson.

We just have Allen.

He is? 

So our pash rush being non existent and whiffs on numerous o line up until last year was just happen stance. And I mean that 30 mil dead cap hit has nothing to do with him either. 

Edited by Sharky7337