Pete Prisco's Top 100 NFL Players

jahnyc

I think the part of everyone's brain that's broken is the assumption that most teams have 4-5 All Star players.

There are 32 teams in the NFL. That means every team has on average, 3 star players.

Historically, we have had 3+:

Josh

Diggs

Milano, Tre, Poyer, Hyde, etc. in their prime

This is the first year in a while that we can't say it.

Most teams DO NOT have two top 10 or even top 20 players. 

Law of averages, it just doesn't happen.

Beane is great and has found plenty of elite talent, we're just in a tough year.

On 6/22/2024 at 1:06 PM, SCBills said:

Valid criticism of Beane.

Yes, totally valid criticism of Beane.  All he has done is build a roster than has won four consecutive AFCE titles with two nail-biter losses to KC in the playoffs.

Blow the whole thing up.  We need guys Pete Prisco thinks are stars!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, eball said:

Yes, totally valid criticism of Beane.  All he has done is build a roster than has won four consecutive AFCE titles with two nail-biter losses to KC in the playoffs.

Such a weird response.  I think Beane is a top tier GM, but to date he's had one big flaw.. he (and McDermott) can't get over the hump - mainly KC.  But also that CIN loss was a poor showing. 

Those two teams both have defenses that show up in the postseason and game changers that we haven't had.  Chiefs with Hill, then Kelce/Jones and CIN with Chase/Higgins. 

Beane has built a very strong roster, but it's also let down the main reason we're a contender, in Josh Allen. 

We haven't had game changers outside Allen.  A ton of very good players, but nobody on the level of Hill, Kelce or Jones.  

Maybe that changes this year, and to his credit, he's stated this offseason that he now weights postseason performance heavier. 

Diggs is the closest thing we've had, and even he disappears in the playoffs and has never been the game changing type in the style of Jefferson, Hill, Chase, Kelce etc., guys who can completely take over a game.   I've seen Diggs do that once, in the second half against Pittsburgh years ago.   He was elite for most of his time here, but as a tactician, not a game changer.  

We still need game changers around Allen .. or at the very least, a Defense that doesn't fall off a cliff when in the Playoffs.  These are his players.. he's the GM.  He had valid criticisms, even though he's very good. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

Such a weird response.  I think Beane is a top tier GM, but to date he's had one big flaw.. he (and McDermott) can't get over the hump - mainly KC.  But also that CIN loss was a poor showing. 

Those two teams both have defenses that show up in the postseason and game changers that we haven't had.  Chiefs with Hill, then Kelce/Jones and CIN with Chase/Higgins. 

Beane has built a very strong roster, but it's also let down the main reason we're a contender, in Josh Allen. 

We haven't had game changers outside Allen.  A ton of very good players, but nobody on the level of Hill, Kelce or Jones.  

Maybe that changes this year, and to his credit, he's stated this offseason that he now weights postseason performance heavier. 

Diggs is the closest thing we've had, and even he disappears in the playoffs and has never been the game changing type in the style of Jefferson, Hill, Chase, Kelce etc., guys who can completely take over a game.   I've seen Diggs do that once, in the second half against Pittsburgh years ago.   He was elite for most of his time here, but as a tactician, not a game changer.  

We still need game changers around Allen .. or at the very least, a Defense that doesn't fall off a cliff when in the Playoffs.  These are his players.. he's the GM.  He had valid criticisms, even though he's very good. 

It's not a "weird" response, it's the truth.  We were a play away from beating KC twice -- in the playoffs.  We've also had ridiculously bad luck -- in particular last year with all of the injuries on D.

It's a message board, I get it, and everyone wants to pontificate.  I just also realize that nothing anyone writes on this board means a damn thing outside of the entertainment value.

Carry on and Go Bills!

On 6/22/2024 at 11:47 AM, jahnyc said:

Prisco only has one player on the Bills (Josh Allen) in his top 100 NFL players for 2024.  Not surprising, and probably consistent with the view that the Bills have a number of solid players but only Josh Allen as a true blue chip caliber player.

any links? anything?

here ya go...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-top-100-players-of-2024-patrick-mahomes-reigns-again-myles-garrett-top-defender-in-priscos-rankings/

Edited by PrimeTime101

On 6/22/2024 at 1:13 PM, NewEra said:

Why would he not?  The last time he suited up, was he a top 100 player?  I can help, yes, he was.  Easily

If you consider Pete Prisco’s opinion as gospel, sure.

Imo-   we have Allen, Milano and Ed that should all be on that list.  Taron is close-  Dawkins is close.  Kincaid will likely be on the list next season.  Rousseau might be on that list next season.  

Ed Oliver has some elite traits, but also some physical limitations. That's why he makes splash plays at times, but dissappears sometimes as well.

I think, ultimately, he is a very good player, but I wouldn't say he is elite.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Kincaid will likely be added to that after this season and Cook isn't far away.

You feel that Cook isn’t far from elite?

5 hours ago, eball said:

You are elite at creating strawman arguments.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Ed Oliver has some elite traits, but also some physical limitations. That's why he makes splash plays at times, but dissappears sometimes as well.

I think, ultimately, he is a very good player, but I wouldn't say he is elite.

I hear ya-  ed is a routinely a no show in the playoffs.  

I almost didn’t mention him and I understand why others wouldn’t include him.  

5 hours ago, eball said:

It's not a "weird" response, it's the truth.  We were a play away from beating KC twice -- in the playoffs.  We've also had ridiculously bad luck -- in particular last year with all of the injuries on D.

It's a message board, I get it, and everyone wants to pontificate.  I just also realize that nothing anyone writes on this board means a damn thing outside of the entertainment value.

Carry on and Go Bills!

We were.. in fact I’ll take Josh Allen over Patrick Mahomes if given the same roster. 

But case in point .. last game.  Diggs drops a bomb.  Jones saves the game by beating Dawkins clean, otherwise we’re up 4 trying to keep KC out of the end zone.  

If it hasn’t been Hill, it’s Kelce.  If not Kelce, it’s Jones. 

Who’s been that guy for us .. on either side of the ball in Josh Allen’s time here?

Do we necessarily need that guy?  Maybe not .. but so far, it’s been a big differentiating factor between them and us. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

You feel that Cook isn’t far from elite?

You are elite at creating strawman arguments.

he was 4th in rushing and 6th in yards from scrimmage in the entire NFL last year and basically played part time. Also averages 5 YPC for his career. So yeah, I'd say that isn't too far away.

On 6/22/2024 at 10:40 AM, GoBills808 said:

'stepping up in the postseason' is not the purview of the GM

The fact that these otherwise very talented players cannot get it done in the playoffs is not a referendum on the GM 

Oliver is a top 5ish DT. Milano a top 3 LB at his spot, ditto Taron Johnson. There is plenty of talent.

So who is it a referendum on?

Say it....say it....

Professor McClappy

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, SCBills said:

We were.. in fact I’ll take Josh Allen over Patrick Mahomes if given the same roster. 

But case in point .. last game.  Diggs drops a bomb.  Jones saves the game by beating Dawkins clean, otherwise we’re up 4 trying to keep KC out of the end zone.  

If it hasn’t been Hill, it’s Kelce.  If not Kelce, it’s Jones. 

Who’s been that guy for us .. on either side of the ball in Josh Allen’s time here?

Do we necessarily need that guy?  Maybe not .. but so far, it’s been a big differentiating factor between them and us. 

Fair points.

On 6/22/2024 at 10:55 AM, Einstein said:

Beane is an A+ general manager in terms of constructing a solid top-to-bottom roster.  But he has struggled mightily to get elite talent. I think that is part of the reason he swung for the fences with Von Miller.

The Chiefs have 4 legitimate All-Star players in Mahomes, Jones, Kelce, and McDuffie.

Bengals have Burrow, Chase, and Hendrickson.

We just have Allen.

Taron Johnson is an elite nickel, Ed Oliver should have been All-Pro last year. Dion Dawkins is top 5 at his position, Cook was #4 in yards for RB last year. Torrence was on the All-Rookie team, Milano was an All-Pro before horrible turf ended his season.

We just have Allen? LOL 

On 6/24/2024 at 10:07 PM, Big Turk said:

he was 4th in rushing and 6th in yards from scrimmage in the entire NFL last year and basically played part time. Also averages 5 YPC for his career. So yeah, I'd say that isn't too far away.

In that case then CJ Spiller was elite elite too. His 2012 season had more rushing yards than Cook had last year, with a higher yards per carry and more rushing TD’s.

No one ever saw him as elite though (or close to elite) because that’s ridiculous.

Teams ran the ball at an exceptionally low rate last year which boosted Cook’s ranking. In Spillers 2012 season, Cook wouldnt have even made the top 10 in the NFL in rushing and 52nd in rushing TD’s. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

In that case then CJ Spiller was elite elite too. His 2012 season had more rushing yards than Cook had last year, with a higher yards per carry and more rushing TD’s.

No one ever saw him as elite though (or close to elite) because that’s ridiculous.

Teams ran the ball at an exceptionally low rate last year which boosted Cook’s ranking. In Spillers 2012 season, Cook wouldnt have even made the top 10 in the NFL in rushing and 52nd in rushing TD’s. 

Spiller WAS elite for that one year.  Literally every time he touched the ball he was a threat to take it to the house. I don't care who you are, you can't average 6.0 YPC for an entire season with over 200 carries and not be elite. He also averaged almost 11 yards per reception that year which is outrageous for a running back. That's just you trying to downplay him due to his overall career. That's what is ridiculous.

Cook has a much better overall skillset and vision as a running back. His weakness continues to be Pass Pro and some untimely drops, even tho his catch rate is above 80%.

Edited by Big Turk

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Don’t forget the 2016 5.7YPC / 8TD elite season that Touchdown Mike Gillislee had.  Super elite! 

Edited by TheWeatherMan

Just now, Big Turk said:

Spiller WAS elite for that one year.  Literally every time he touched the ball he was a threat to take it to the house

Spiller was elite while NOT being in the top 5 in rushing yards, rushing TD’s, rushing first downs, or rushing yards per game?

Guess we have a very different definition of “elite”.

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Spiller was elite while NOT being in the top 5 in rushing yards, rushing TD’s, rushing first downs, or rushing yards per game?

Guess we have a very different definition of “elite”.

Yes, because he controls how much he was used or not used.  Makes perfect sense.  Perhaps you need to change your username to something that better reflects your logical reasoning abilities, or usually in most cases, lack there of.

Edited by Big Turk