Reggie Jackson's Shares Thought On Racism he Faced

What's racism? Is that like when you hire someone based on skin color? Like DEI programs at corporations and universities? Yea we need to end racism, I agree 

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/21/2024 at 9:47 AM, SCBills said:

Let me guess.. a bunch of white guys who weren’t born yet should apologize for this?

We’re finally reaching a point in this country where the younger generation is cool with people of all color and/or sexual orientation.   We can all vibe together and believe no one should be discriminated against for their skin color, religion or who they love. 

What we’re not doing is apologizing for stuff we had no part in and self reflecting on perceived systemic factors that only seem to be an issue when they affect one group of people.   

Those days are over.   

Unless youre an affluent white liberal.  Then you pretend to care about these things, yet throw a fit when cultural enrichment moves into your neighborhood. 

On 6/22/2024 at 9:32 AM, Wacka said:

He was so discriminated agaist that he had a  car dealership.

Some really obnoxious comments.

I saw the interview with Reggie. You could see that he is now an old man who has come to terms with himself and with the America he grew up in and the America he knows now. There was none of the old swagger. There was clear emotion when he recalled the blatant racism of his youth.

He was born in 1946. That means he was 18 when the Civil Right Act passed. The South was still Jim Crow country when he was growing up. His dad played in the Negrro Leagues (the auto censor doesn't like that word!). His childhood was one in which segregation was real. He considered colleges in the South but decided that he wasn't ready for that kind of abuse, or maybe that the South wasn't ready for a black man who spoke his mind.

This isn't about reparations, or racism against whites, or whatever foolish talking points it always brings up.

This is about a shameful era in U.S. history. You can love your country and still feel ashamed by some of the things it did.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Here’s the type of deep thinking that keeps me coming back for more! 

🤦🏿‍♂️🤦🏿🤦🏿‍♀️

I’m just saying, I don’t understand how people here can think racism is solved when it’s quite simply not. 

5 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

I’m just saying, I don’t understand how people here can think racism is solved when it’s quite simply not. 

Just now, Roundybout said:

Nor will it ever be. My opinion is it the thing the average Joe struggles with is being told day in and day out that they are racist or that there is a Klansman/Nazi waiting around every corner. Because there quite simply is not. 

Being told that things like fitness or punctuality are vestiges of white supremacy? Please.

Or how about the level of dumbassery that it takes to tell people the out of control border situation is simply a matter of skin color? 

23 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Nor will it ever be. My opinion is it the thing the average Joe struggles with is being told day in and day out that they are racist or that there is a Klansman/Nazi waiting around every corner. Because there quite simply is not. 

Being told that things like fitness or punctuality are vestiges of white supremacy? Please.

Or how about the level of dumbassery that it takes to tell people the out of control border situation is simply a matter of skin color? 

Why do we need to fall back on these nutcase quips every time race comes up?

The topic here is that a noted sports figure reflects (in conjunction with Juneteenth and a MLB game being played in Birmingham AL) on his baseball journey that began in a time of intense racism. He talks about how ugly it still was in the minors in Alabama in 1967 - after the Civil Rights Act. And he talks about white teammates who went out of their way to look out for him. I found it remarkably honest and heartfelt. And like I said earlier in this thread, the actual experience of ballplayer heroes of mine was important in me understanding what it was like to be a black man in the South in those days. This adds to it.

It is not about reparations or white punctuality or whatever, and the OP doesn't make any mention of such things. It's a knee-jerk "but what about anti-white discrimination today" response.

21 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Why do we need to fall back on these nutcase quips every time race comes up?

The topic here is that a noted sports figure reflects (in conjunction with Juneteenth and a MLB game being played in Birmingham AL) on his baseball journey that began in a time of intense racism. He talks about how ugly it still was in the minors in Alabama in 1967 - after the Civil Rights Act. And he talks about white teammates who went out of their way to look out for him. I found it remarkably honest and heartfelt. And like I said earlier in this thread, the actual experience of ballplayer heroes of mine was important in me understanding what it was like to be a black man in the South in those days. This adds to it.

It is not about reparations or white punctuality or whatever, and the OP doesn't make any mention of such things. It's a knee-jerk "but what about anti-white discrimination today" response.

100% of threads on this board and every other board as far as I can tell, stray from the original post. I haven’t taken particular note but are you intimating that you are one that stays on topic? 

Reggie, the self-professed straw that stirred the drink, had plenty of company in facing racism. I wish it hadn’t happened to any of them. It’s hard to fathom. It’s a shame that modern-day leftists can’t move on and honor social change for however long it takes. Instead they view nearly everything through race and seemingly prefer division. 

11 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

100% of threads on this board and every other board as far as I can tell, stray from the original post

And while the initial strayer is to blame, others that take the bait ought to know better.

We had a newsworthy event, for both sports and society. A 78 year old former baseball great returned to a place of unhappy memories from 58 years ago, and he reflected - in an emotional way - on his experiences.

Isn't that enough?

I say this as a guy who hated Reggie and the Yankees back in the day. At least I thought I hated. I really didn't. It was just sports. I see a real man today, not a caricature. I hope others can share in that experience.

Edited by The Frankish Reich