Reggie Jackson's Shares Thought On Racism he Faced

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-legend-reggie-jackson-opens-up-on-returning-to-birminghams-rickwood-field-coming-back-here-is-not-easy/

Jackson then shared the unvarnished truth about how he would often be called racial slurs and denied service by workers at restaurants and hotels. Additionally, Jackson noted how important it was to him that his manager and team had his back.

"Fortunately, I had a manager, in Johnny McNamara, that … if I couldn't eat in the place, nobody would eat. We would get food to travel. If I couldn't stay in a hotel, they'd drive to the next hotel and find a place where I could stay," Jackson recalled. "Had it not been for Rollie Fingers, Johnny McNamara, Dave Duncan, Joe and Sharon Rudi … I slept on their couch three, four nights a week for about a month and a half. Finally, they were threatened that they would burn our apartment complex down unless I got out."

Jackson concluded by saying that without McNamara and his teammates, that he would've never made it out of Birmingham alive. "I would've [gotten] killed here, because I would've beat someone's [butt]."

It was a sobering recollection of memories from throughout Jackson's career. The Hall of Fame talent didn't hold back when discussing the truth of what he endured over his playing career, and it is well worth the listen as MLB celebrates the legacy of Mays and of Rickwood Field as a whole. 

What was that, forty or fifty years ago? Thank GOD that doesn't happen anymore. Unless it's aimed at straight white men, then that's fair game. Reggie, though a great great player was always known for embellishing stuff. I'm sure he faced some racist behavior by white liberals back in the day, but take what he says with a grain of salt. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Westside said:

What was that, forty or fifty years ago? Thank GOD that doesn't happen anymore. Unless it's aimed at straight white men, then that's fair game. Reggie, though a great great player was always known for embellishing stuff. I'm sure he faced some racist behavior by white liberals back in the day, but take what he says with a grain of salt. 

Make America Great Again?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

25 minutes ago, Westside said:

Ostrich Avestruz GIF by Amnistía Internacional España

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Let me guess.. a bunch of white guys who weren’t born yet should apologize for this?

We’re finally reaching a point in this country where the younger generation is cool with people of all color and/or sexual orientation.   We can all vibe together and believe no one should be discriminated against for their skin color, religion or who they love. 

What we’re not doing is apologizing for stuff we had no part in and self reflecting on perceived systemic factors that only seem to be an issue when they affect one group of people.   

Those days are over.   

Unless youre an affluent white liberal.  Then you pretend to care about these things, yet throw a fit when cultural enrichment moves into your neighborhood. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 2

35 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Ostrich Avestruz GIF by Amnistía Internacional España

Typical response from a race hustler.

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Let me guess.. a bunch of white guys who weren’t born yet should apologize for this?

We’re finally reaching a point in this country where the younger generation is cool with people of all color and/or sexual orientation.   We can all vibe together and believe no one should be discriminated against for their skin color, religion or who they love. 

What we’re not doing is apologizing for stuff we had no part in and self reflecting on perceived systemic factors that only seem to be an issue when they affect one group of people.   

Those days are over.   

Unless youre an affluent white liberal.  Then you pretend to care about these things, yet throw a fit when cultural enrichment moves into your neighborhood. 

They’re all for keeping the Democratic plantation strong.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Westside said:

Exactly.  Especially white Democrats.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 6/21/2024 at 11:56 AM, Westside said:

Typical response from a race hustler.

They’re all for keeping the Democratic plantation strong.

Yup.  When the dems were racist and the R's were decent people.  Now it's the opposite.  And you've been on the wrong side all along while we've been on the right side.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Yup.  When the dems were racist and the R's were decent people.  Now it's the opposite.  And you've been on the wrong side all along while we've been on the right side.

And you see imaginary nazi recruiting posters everywhere you look

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/21/2024 at 12:46 PM, Big Blitz said:

Exactly.  Especially white Democrats.  

The two parties are not static.  60 years ago the representation of the South was Democrats.  With the passage of the Civil Rights Act and Nixon's Southern Strategy, that all changed.

Back during the Civil War, the Republican Party would be considered radically liberal.  Today, there would be no place for Lincoln in the Republican Party.

Edited by Scraps
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

And you see imaginary nazi recruiting posters everywhere you look

That’s because he’s an outdoorsman and everyone knows what hikers, bicyclists, and water sportsmen the modern day NAZI is. They’re almost impossible to escape on a nice summer day. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

On 6/21/2024 at 11:47 AM, SCBills said:

Those days are over.   

AKA white liberal guilt, often virtue signaling 

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

AKA white liberal guilt, often virtue signaling 

Not guilt. I don’t feel guilty for what people did a hundred years ago and some still do today. I feel anger, sadness and embarrassment for that part of the human race. We should still be working to end racism. Instead, one party is using it as a dog whistle to promote it. Btw, if you haven’t seen “It ain’t over” about Yogi Berra, you should. He helped usher in several black ball players into the majors including Jackie Robinson. He was an amazing player, seeming great family man and was beloved by his colleagues. A life well spent. We watched it the other night on Netflix and agreed it was one of the best things we’d recently seen. 

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Not guilt. I don’t feel guilty for what people did a hundred years ago and some still do today. I feel anger, sadness and embarrassment for that part of the human race. We should still be working to end racism. Instead, one party is using it as a dog whistle to promote it. Btw, if you haven’t seen “It ain’t over” about Yogi Berra, you should. He helped usher in several black ball players into the majors including Jackie Robinson. He was an amazing player, seeming great family man and was beloved by his colleagues. A life well spent. We watched it the other night on Netflix and agreed it was one of the best things we’d recently seen. 

i fully agree with you that the dems use it as a dog whistle to promote racism. Can’t believe we agree on something 

• Like (+1) 4

10 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

agree with everything except the dog whistle comment. 

As a kid in Buffalo, I learned about racism in America, civil rights, segregation, etc. by going to the public library and borrowing biographies of baseball players. Hank Aaron was a big one. I remember being astounded by all those stories about not being able to stay in certain hotels on the road, about the sting of racism that he felt every day as a young ballplayer in the south.

And then the great Satchel Paige taught me that there was this thing called the ***** Leagues, and that until baseball was finally fully integrated we white fans never really saw the game at its best.

Sports can be transformative like that. They taught me lessons that never would have had the same impact in some dull history textbook.

On 6/21/2024 at 10:55 AM, Westside said:

An elected Black mayor of the town of Braxton, Alabama, was physically locked out of his office by a handful of white people to prevent him from taking office. The town has not held an election for mayor since the 1960s, allowing a minority of white people to run the town despite it being 2-1 Black people. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna158740

But please, keep pretending racism is over. Whatever keeps you sterile and comfortable.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1