AFCE team with the best chance of taking the division title away from the Bills

Which team in the AFCE has the best chance of taking the division from the Bills?  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Which team in the AFCE has the best chance of taking the division from the Bills?

• New York Jets
    • New England Patriots*
    • Miami Dolphins

Jets have more to prove, but they should be better than the Fins. Pats are a mess, but that's not to say they can't beat us 1 out of 2 games. 

Edited by skibum

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he is a very good offensive coordinator which possibly makes up for some of his leadership flaws as a Head Coach. 

I would agree that he’s a very good OC and one of the best offensive minds in the league.  But you can say the same thing about Saleh on defense.  

I think they are about the same on different sides of the ball

3 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Fish > Jests.  Fish have better offensive weapons, good D, better coach.  Jests are still dysfunctional, even with a better D and Ayahuasca Boy at QB.  Media pressure will rip the Jests apart.

Do you think that the Phish will sweep the Jets this season?

I see the Jets as our biggest threat. Their defense typically gives Josh a hard time. If they get a healthy, 2021 version of Aaron Rodgers then we could have a real fight on our hands. Even if they get the 2022 version, it's an upgrade from their QB situation last year. They added OL help in Smith, Moses, and Fashanu. They added Mike Williams in FA and Malachi Corley in the draft @ WR. They traded for Haason Reddick. They added DJ Reed and Chuck Clark to their Secondary. They also play a 3rd place schedule where we play a 1st place schedule. I think they are in "win now" mode, and their team (on paper) looks very formidable. Will it play out that way? Who knows. Injuries happen and players do disappoint. 

• Like (+1) 1

I personally think that Rodgers is shot. And that's if he doesn't get injured.

I fully expect a terrible season from him once he starts taking hits and having to run for his life. I don't think that he has much time left. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

The Fins came closest last year, but for the Bills’ late season run, it was Miami’s to lose. Returning many of the same cast of characters over there, my guess is it will be similarly neck and neck until late in the year when we pull it off again 👏.

I think Miami’s defense will be even worse this year , Jets and the dolphins will be fighting for a wildcard this season 

15 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Miami.  Yes their D isn’t as good as the Jets’ (especially adter losing a few key pieces this offseason), but their coaching is miles better.

Without Tyreek Miami is a .500 at best they better prey he stays healthy this year , also that defense is probably the worst in the division 

4 minutes ago, Process said:

I can't take the dolphins seriously. Tua. Bad defense. Cant beat good teams. 

It's the Jets by default. 

Also, they struggle when the weather gets cold out. Rodgers if healthy can play in the cold. He proved that many times in GB.

• Like (+1) 1

There isn’t one, so the question has no answer,

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

That said, I don’t think Rogers is close to 100% and likely won’t make it through the season.  

That's the big question, if he stays healthy I'll pick the team with the future HOF QB vs the Floundering Fish every time... Big question for me is with all the changes the Bills have made do they start slowly out of the gate, if so how slowly, and does another AFCE team build a strong lead by the time the Bills gel. 

• Agree 1

The Jets as usual are over rated.  The NFL should just go ahead and name the off season Jets Season.  They have mediocre a coaching staff, a still questionable OL, and a creakily QB who when he last played a meaningful number of snaps two years ago, put up the worst season of his career.  7 to 9 wins at best.  The Dolphins have very good offensive weapons, a very limited QB, and a coach who has led epic collapses the past two seasons, but still, they are better than the Jets.  NE, meh.  

• Agree 1

Just now, FLFan said:

The Jets as usual are over rated.  The NFL should just go ahead and name the off season Jets Season.  They have mediocre a coaching staff, a still questionable OL, and a creakily QB who when he last played a meaningful number of snaps two years ago, put up the worst season of his career.  7 to 9 wins at best.  The Dolphins have very good offensive weapons, a very limited QB, and a coach who has led epic collapses the past two seasons, but still, they are better than the Jets.  NE, meh.  

The Jets defense is legit. They won 7 games last year with very little help from the offense as well as not having an NFL caliber QB on the roster. If Rodgers can stay healthy (BIG IF) then he is still at 40 a huge upgrade over what they had last year at QB. If he can stay healthy then the Bills and Jets will be fighting it out for the AFCE.

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Do the fish have a better head coach?

Brainiac in Miami made Tua into a competent QB and surrounded him with weapons on offense.  Saleh took a serviceable QB and trashed him.  Mike > Bob.

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Do you think that the Phish will sweep the Jets this season?

Possible, but I'm guessing they would split.

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think you need to catch up on Miami's changes...they didn't have that great of a defense last year, and they lost all their best players in their front 7, like all of them.  

Miami in 2022 went on a 5 game losing streak with a healthy Tua in the final 6 games and was in danger of missing the playoffs week 18 until Tua missed that game and a 3rd string rookie QB helped them snap the losing streak to just squeek into the playoffs...where they lost first game.

Miamin in 2023 had a 4 game lead on the division with 5 games to go,  With two MVP candidates in Tua and Hill through stretches of last year, they still couldn't manage to hold on and again blew the division and wound up as the 7th seed again in the playoffs to once again lose round 1.

In 2 years, the only 2 games they have won against a team .500 or better was the Bills early in 2022 in the heat stroke game.  A game where they only won because the Bills were missing 13 starters between injuries coming in and heat related issues during the game.  It was so bad that Tommy Doyle had to play the final driver of the game for 5 plays on a torn ACL because we did not have enough OL to put on the field.  And that was the reason the OL was so slow on the final play and couldn't get set to kick the game winning FG and Dorsey did his infmaous blow up in the booth.  It took that extreme condition for them to beat a .500 team, and they were 1 second away from not winning that game.  The other was Dallas, another paper tiger.  

And not only do they not beat .500 or better teams, often they were not really even competitive.  

And in 2024, their roster is considerably worse on the defensive side of the ball with Aaron Rodgers now also back in the division, and the Pats potentially being decent if Jacoby or Maye stabilize at QB because the Pats still have a strong defense and good run game.  They won't be the easy out many think even though I don't believe they have any shot at the division.

Not only will Miami not win the division, I have doubts they even make the playoffs.  They were the 7th seed last year squeeking in again like 2022 and that was without Joe Burrow, Aaron Rodgers, Deshaun Watson, and Anthony Richardson in the AFC due to injuries.  Then you have an expected improved QB situation in Pittsburgh as well, an improved opportunity for the Chargers with a better coaching staff there as well.  Making the playoffs in the AFC was hard last year, but it should be even harder this year.  And you still have the Tua injury factor always looming as well.

Bills 

Jets 

Miami 

Pats

OK, I'll take the hit, I ***** up for saying Miami has a good D.  I still think the Fish are better than the Jets, but who knows?  Maybe the rubber bands holding Ayahuasca Boy's Achilles together work and he has an MVP season.  In that case, I'll take my crow well done.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Brainiac in Miami made Tua into a competent QB and surrounded him with weapons on offense.  Saleh took a serviceable QB and trashed him.  Mike > Bob.

Possible, but I'm guessing they would split.

OK, I'll take the hit, I ***** up for saying Miami has a good D.  I still think the Fish are better than the Jets, but who knows?  Maybe the rubber bands holding Ayahuasca Boy's Achilles together work and he has an MVP season.  In that case, I'll take my crow well done.

I’ll give you that McDaniel maximized the potential of Tua and built an offense around what he does well.  

But what has he done as a head coach?  I’d argue he hasn’t done much and much like Saleh, he’s been very good on one side of the ball and mediocre on the other.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.