AFCE team with the best chance of taking the division title away from the Bills

Which team in the AFCE has the best chance of taking the division from the Bills?  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Which team in the AFCE has the best chance of taking the division from the Bills?

• New York Jets
    • New England Patriots*
    • Miami Dolphins

17 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

You've never been in the south in September then? It was 92 in Austin today at 8:15.

The specific concern I had with the heat stroke game was this. The Dolphins played games with their sidelines, to create a situation where their team would be in the shade, and their opponent would be in the sun. Clearly, they can't pull stuff like that after sunset.

Football is a physically strenuous activity under any circumstances. Add in the heat and humidity of South Florida in September, and that makes it worse. It will be a tough game. But, it won't be a solar cooker game.

Football-related deaths are rare. But they do happen, and my sense is that overheating is one of the more common causes. For the Dolphins to seek an unfair advantage over their opponents by cooking them in the sun is not merely bad sportsmanship. It is dangerous and potentially lethal. Suppose that the Dolphins keep doing what they've been doing, with Rodger Goodell continuing to do nothing in response. And imagine if someone dies as a result. What would the press coverage on that look like? What about the lawsuits? I don't know how much Goodell cares about fair play, but you think he would care about stuff like that.

• Agree 1

On 6/21/2024 at 8:36 AM, eball said:

With competent quarterbacking the Jets are the threat.

Agreed. I don't think people really comprehend just how bad the Jets' quarterbacking has been the last couple years.

2023: team passer rating 70.5

2022: 75.0

Compare other teams with some really poor QB play: Commanders 2023 81.6

Steelers 2023 84.6

And also compare:

Rodgers 2022 (last full season) 91.1

Tyrod (their new backup) 2023 89.1

It is just stunningly bad. Like sub-replacement level bad. As long as they can keep at least one of Rodgers/Tyrod on the field for, say, 14 games, they are virtually certain to improve. A lot.

Having said that, they are the Jets, so take the under ...

11 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Their quarterback, GM, and offensive coordinator, all aaron rodgers, is a mess of a human being, 40 years old, coming off a major injury, and just missed all of their mini camp after saying how important it was that the team was all in for this vital year. What a leader he is...

I know to some the culture and character don't matter, but they do.

7-10, 6-11?

The Jets' main hope to avoid that, and at least have a chance this year, is to lose rodgers early again and hope Tyrod can rise to the challenge.

Just like last year in the off season,  this year I cannot imagine how this Jets team, 'led' by rodgers, strikes any kind of fear in any Bills' fan.

The Jets built their team to beat the Bills. Saleh has talked about the Bills being the best in the division these past few years and that is who they have to beat to win the division. The Jets defense matches up very well against the Bills. They gave Allen fits in the opener last year. When the Bills had the blowout win in Buffalo the Jets defense was probably exhausted at that point getting no help all year from the offense. I think Miami also had a blowout win against them on their "Black Friday" game on Thanksgiving weekend. The Jets have looked at the games against the Bills these past few seasons as the personal Super Bowl. They are a tough matchup for the Bills and will be a tougher matchup if they can help from their offense.

Edited by Gregg

Just now, Mister Defense said:

I am not discounting that the Jets have been a tough out for the Bills. So I agree with most of what you say.

And I will not be surprised if that is the case this year, and they are a division opponent and know the Bills well.

But, to me, that in no way indicates that the Jets will be a high level team this year, capable of having a very good season. They pose almost no threat to the much better Bills, with much better leadership, character, and culture.

However, rodgers was not playing like the washed up Russel Wilson when we last saw him in play, just clearly on the decline.  So If he surprises and looks excellent this year, then they can be a high level team.  I don't see that happening.

With Rodgers I think the best the Jets can hope for is that he can give them "good" QB play. His best days are behind him. Two years ago, with GB he threw for less than 200 yards in 5 games. He also had 26 TD's and 16 INT's. By his standards that isn't good. He used to throw for 40 plus TD's and less than 10 INT's a year in his prime. He is still way better than what they had last year at QB. This is all assuming he can stay healthy. 40 going on 41 coming off a serious Achillies injury. I would say it's a very good bet he doesn't play all 17 regular season games. Tyrod Taylor will have to come in and play well if the Jets are to have a good season.

• Agree 1

I voted for the Jets for a few reasons:

1. Their defense is legit which immediately allows them to be a competitive team in most games

2. IF their QB play is just average their a playoff team based off advanced stats. The offense has been putrid at QB for years being in the bottom 30 since Darnold. People are forgetting that with how bad it has been Rodgers just needs to be average and the offense can do some meaningful things across the board. Their skill position players are pretty solid and I'd argue their WR corp is better then the Bills currently (If Keon/Shakir do emerge that can change).

3. As much as Miami has been around it feels like they missed their chance last year and Tua has been figured out a bit especially with better teams. The Dolphins have a very top heavy roster in talent and are not super deep. The defense has aged and while having so truly strong playmakers is fourth best in the division. Tyreek who has super charge the offense is now 30 and injuries have been creeping in. Waddle is a great young talent, but without Tyreek that offense looks way different. In general it feels like regression is coming in Miami a little bit and the Jets are due a bit better odds.

**All of this again hinges on the Jets having Rodgers healthy for the season and that in itself is risky given their o-line // his injuries**

** I would also add its interesting the Jets wanted Carr because with him I think they would've taken the division last year as he just is routinely average/above average which would've been a major change on offense for them at QB**

On 6/23/2024 at 4:29 AM, BullBuchanan said:

Vote dolphins. We'll be playing the dolphins in Miami on 4 days rest on September 12th. High chance of it being the Heat Stroke Game all over again. They have so much talent on their team that if they split with us, I could see them winning more games than us for sure. The Jets are a possibility. Rodgers may have one more year where he can throw a team on his back, but I'm not a believer right now.

Not likely to be 120F on the Bills sideline given that it's a night game.  

• Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.