This years STer that has no business playing on O/D

Special teams have let the bills down in the playoffs quite a bit during the Beane era. I do not have any idea how the Bills investment in players whose primary role is special teams is greater or less than other teams. The real question from my perspective is whether or not the Bills get a good return on this investment. 

7 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Special teams have let the bills down in the playoffs quite a bit during the Beane era. I do not have any idea how the Bills investment in players whose primary role is special teams is greater or less than other teams. The real question from my perspective is whether or not the Bills get a good return on this investment. 

I did the numbers two summers ago and the Bills were in the top 3rd of the league in ST resource allocation... we were 6th or 7th from memory. What was interesting about it was almost all the top teams in the league were in the top half of the ranking. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think the goal here is to weigh special teams play into getting a roster spot. I don't see anyone who is an epic special teamer the gets a roster spot specifically because of ST play. So no I don't see anyone kept on the roster that won't be expected to play O/D with a level of NFL competence. 

17 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

Is the answer "Jesus"?

Are you talking about that Mexican guy, lots of people reference him, I see his name on billboards a lot, 

18 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

What is the point of this thread?

Injuries are a fact in the NFL and by season end every team ends up with special teamers or "career backups" in starting roles.

Umm, pretty clear what the point of  it is.

A bizarre bash the team leaders thread, just throwing messed up, bizarre and flat out dumb nonsense against the wall, to somehow make the case for how bad Bean and McDermott are.

Duh.

And it is as stupid and illogical  (and just as big of a waste of space and time) as the post recently somehow blaming McDermott for Bass's struggles last year.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

I'm trying to have a more open mind when it comes to ST and roster utilization.

I think what is driving more ST only roles on the roster is the limited practice time. 

I don't think they literally have enough practice time to teach a rookie LB the defense and special teams. That wasn't the case in the past. 

Now I don't believe the punt catchers and return guys need much practice time at all. It's not that hard a skill to master and it's more raw talent than teachable skill. Additionally, they have been doing it in college most likely. 

However whoever is the leader of the punt and punt coverage teams will need more practice time.  These guys need to learn the blocking schemes, watch film of their opponent, and make sure guys are doing what they are supposed to do. 

As for the gunners, I don't think this requires much practice either. Certainly not much during the week. 

So in the end I am ok with a guy like Matakevich who is useless as a LB being on the roster if he is your captain on punt and punt return. 

The return guy should always be a back of the roster WR who can play if needed. 

The gunners should be a couple of corners that can play. Having a RB as a gunner who can't run or catch is terrible roster use.

So in the end I can live with a Matakevich type guy. Maybe that is Spector this year who is a far more capable LB than Matakevich ever was. 

After that the gunners and return guys should be able to play WR and CB in a pinch. It's the perfect use for late round draft picks. And who knows maybe one of those guys turns into a Benford. 

As for the useless player this year, it will probably be Hollins. They will keep him and he will do nothing as a WR. I would keep Shorter over Hollins but I think with the contract they will keep Hollins and try to sneak Shorter on the PS. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Umm, pretty clear what the point of  it is.

A bizarre bash the team leaders thread, just throwing messed up, bizarre and flat out dumb nonsense against the wall, to somehow make the case for how bad Bean and McDermott are.

Duh.

And it is as stupid and illogical  (and just as big of a waste of space and time) as the post recently somehow blaming McDermott for Bass's struggles last year.

Ha ha ha Trent Sherfield was a team leader? He was here for a cup of coffee. No cared about him. They weren’t wrong either, watching him flub Allen dimes in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, eball said:

It’s definitely the doldrums of the offseason when we get a$$clown threads like these.

OP got pwned.

Are people really upset with our 4-2 Bills?

• Eyeroll 2

20 hours ago, FireChans said:

Every year, it seems like one of our career backup/ST guys end up playing in games where they really shouldn’t.

2023 was this phenomenon on overdrive in the playoffs, as we had Baylon Spector playing some LB, Siran Neal trying to cover Travis Kelce, Trent Sherfield alligator arms etc etc.

So who is going to be the patsy in 2024?  Hard mode: No Mack Hollins.

Good topic!! I think of Matakevich playing LB and cringe. I don’t know enough about Mack Hollins but my initial instinct is to agree. He seems, like Sherfield, to be primarily a ST guy. 

Fortunately, the Bills have done away with vets that primarily play ST. That’s the first thing to go in a cap crunch. You can’t pay the Neal’s and Matakevichs. You need to replace them with cheap labor (and the Bills have).

21 hours ago, FireChans said:

Because I hate special teams players and signing B+ STers that are F- WR’s/LB’s/DB’s instead of C STers that are D WR’s/LB’s/DB’s is bad strategy 

Careful. There’s too many special teams apologists here. I’m with you, unless you’re signing Dante Hall, or Devin Hester, there’s zero reason to sign anyone specific to special teams. EVER. But way too many ppl here think we’re crazy 

Not to belabor this thread any more than necessary, if you want to b*tch about this then go ballistic that we spent our 2nd 6 the rd pick on Daequan Hardy, a small CB out of Penn State who is a mediocre CB but super fast spectacular return man an with the new NFL kickoff rules could be interesting but again our 2nd 6th rd pick.  Gunnerbill observation that the Bills and almost all the top teams in the NFL were in the top half of spending on special teams.

47 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Gunnerbill observation that the Bills and almost all the top teams in the NFL were in the top half of spending on special teams

Would love to see this stat adjusted without kickers and ranked by kicker ability.  The Ravens paying Justin Tucker a ton does not mean they are signing the Siran Neal’s of the world to $3M AAV

With all the rule changes, ST will be more important than ever this year. It will be interesting to see what teams will sacrifice the yards on kickoff for prioritizing non ST players. It would seem that better starting field positing results in more scoring but maybe its not as important as previously thought. Hope we thought it through 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.