Requiring the Ten Commandments In Public School Violates First Amemndment

29 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Isn't there some ambiguity though? That the states can establish religions, but the Federal government can't?

Nope. SCOTUS has found that the Due Process Clause of the 14th Amendment incorporates the Establishment Clause of the 1st Amendment to the states. 

Under current law and SCOTUS precedent, a law mandating that the Ten Commandments be displayed in public buildings (like schools) is clearly unconstitutional. 

That doesn’t preclude SCOTUS for overturning precedent (something the current SCOTUS loves to do) and changing the rules. That’s likely the point of this law: pass a clearly unconstitutional law hoping it goes to SCOTUS which overturns precedent to allow the law. Just like the Dobbs decision. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Nope. SCOTUS has found that the Due Process Clause of the 14th Amendment incorporates the Establishment Clause of the 1st Amendment to the states. 

Under current law and SCOTUS precedent, a law mandating that the Ten Commandments be displayed in public buildings (like schools) is clearly unconstitutional. 

That doesn’t preclude SCOTUS for overturning precedent (something the current SCOTUS loves to do) and changing the rules. That’s likely the point of this law: pass a clearly unconstitutional law hoping it goes to SCOTUS which overturns precedent to allow the law. Just like the Dobbs decision. 

“lawyers, judges, technology “…Roger Stone, when asked how to ensure a trump victory. 

56 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Isn't there some ambiguity though? That the states can establish religions, but the Federal government can't?

It use to be that way. Massachusetts had an established religion up through the 1820's, I believe, but with the 14th Amendment, the Bill of Rights, which begins, "CONGRESS shall make no law..." was attached to the states, so all those basic rights, including freedom from religion, were enforceable on the states.  That's why the states have to provide a lawyer for all criminal defendants

9 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

The saying has been attributed since before the induction of Alaska and Hawaii as states in 1959,[24] and its use, while found throughout the entire country, is especially common in Alabama,[25][26] which shares significant cultural and historical ties with its neighbor and former Mississippi Territory co-constituent Mississippi.[27][28] Its use is also noted in nearby Arkansas and other frequently low-ranking states such as Kentucky, Tennessee, Louisiana, and West Virginia.[a]

The saying has become something of a cliché,[39] and has seen usage across the nation with regard to rankings both serious[34] and trivial,[40][41] and the underlying logic has been extrapolated to other states and even countries.[42]

The growing notoriety of the phrase has led some Mississippians themselves to despise the saying, not because it is false, but because it rings true and puts their state in a bad light. The phrase has also been used as an attempt to rally Mississippians towards making change.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ScotSHO said:

What if they just called them rules for schools?  Rebrand them a scooch?

When I was a kid I always needed that reminder to not commit adultery. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Yeah, probably change that one out for "don't ogle the Spanish teachers pechos".

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

These Mo fos in politics want to push this stuff? They better live by it first, these kids will see right thru that. Are they going to post stuff from the Koran? Torah? This will be shot down so fast it will make a school shooter jealous.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, 4th&long said:

These Mo fos in politics want to push this stuff? They better live by it first, these kids will see right thru that. Are they going to post stuff from the Koran? Torah? This will be shot down so fast it will make a school shooter jealous.

You're a disgusting person.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, AlBUNDY4TDS said:

You're a disgusting person.

You don’t care about school shooters. Don’t act like you do. You guys only care about kids up till the day they are born. After that? Just as long as you have your rights.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, 4th&long said:

You don’t care about school shooters. Don’t act like you do. You guys only care about kids up till the day they are born. After that? Just as long as you have your rights.

Lol, like I said, you're disgusting.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, 4th&long said:

damn dude, do you read what you post?

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/20/2024 at 12:42 PM, The Frankish Reich said:

Yeah, quite a guy that Old Testament God. 
“I order you to sacrifice your son to me.” [time passes, Abraham readies sacrificial altar]
Sike! Just kidding. 
Burn the cute little lamb instead. 

and then there's Job, well at least God knows he really means it now.....sorry about the dead kids but at least you got even more replacement ones that balances out....right?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

and then there's Job, well at least God knows he really means it now.....sorry about the dead kids but at least you got even more replacement ones that balances out....right?

In 2024 it looks silly to you, but know that was the common farming family life until the 1940s.  They'd have 5-7 kids cause 1-2 of them would get taken out from some reason.  That Job story was like looking in a mirror to them.  And <gasp> some rural families still go about life that way.

12 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Seems like someone doesn’t understand the book of Job very well.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ScotSHO said:

In 2024 it looks silly to you, but know that was the common farming family life until the 1940s.  They'd have 5-7 kids cause 1-2 of them would get taken out from some reason.  That Job story was like looking in a mirror to them.  And <gasp> some rural families still go about life that way.

I'm sure that's true, the issue I have with this story is the why, because in my understanding God is omnipotent so the test is pointless they already know the answer, so is it simply to prove it to the devil?

2 hours ago, ScotSHO said:

Yeah, probably change that one out for "don't ogle the Spanish teachers pechos".

I feel like I missed out by taking Latin and German instead 

• Haha (+1) 1