Requiring the Ten Commandments In Public School Violates First Amemndment

Clearly.

Kind of funny that Trump supporters support this AND Trump, who sh its all over a bunch of the commandments, but that's who they are

https://apnews.com/article/louisiana-ten-commandments-displayed-classrooms-571a2447906f7bbd5a166d53db005a62

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — Louisiana has become the first state to require that the Ten Commandments be displayed in every public school classroom, the latest move from a GOP-dominated Legislature pushing a conservative agenda under a new governor.

The legislation that Republican Gov. Jeff Landry signed into law on Wednesday requires a poster-sized display of the Ten Commandments in “large, easily readable font” in all public classrooms, from kindergarten to state-funded universities.

“If you want to respect the rule of law, you’ve got to start from the original lawgiver, which was Moses” who got the commandments from God, Landry said.

Opponents questioned the law’s constitutionality and vowed to challenge it in court. Proponents said the measure is not solely religious, but that it has historical significance. In the language of the law, the Ten Commandments are “foundational documents of our state and national government.”

Advertisement

7 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Clearly.

Kind of funny that Trump supporters support this AND Trump, who sh its all over a bunch of the commandments, but that's who they are

https://apnews.com/article/louisiana-ten-commandments-displayed-classrooms-571a2447906f7bbd5a166d53db005a62

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — Louisiana has become the first state to require that the Ten Commandments be displayed in every public school classroom, the latest move from a GOP-dominated Legislature pushing a conservative agenda under a new governor.

The legislation that Republican Gov. Jeff Landry signed into law on Wednesday requires a poster-sized display of the Ten Commandments in “large, easily readable font” in all public classrooms, from kindergarten to state-funded universities.

“If you want to respect the rule of law, you’ve got to start from the original lawgiver, which was Moses” who got the commandments from God, Landry said.

Opponents questioned the law’s constitutionality and vowed to challenge it in court. Proponents said the measure is not solely religious, but that it has historical significance. In the language of the law, the Ten Commandments are “foundational documents of our state and national government.”

Advertisement

How do you feel about putting statues of Baphomet in schools?

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Clearly.

Advertisement

Maybe they have figured out the basic link for a lot of the reasons why the world and more specifically the US has went right in the sh***er ! 

Of course I don’t expect you to agree with much that would support a more moral basis for a child to learn about while going to school I would more imagine you started this to tell us all just how wrong it is. 

There will also be those parents that just want to raise a stink not that they truly care because you can tell by the way their children act that their parenting skills are more than lacking in a lot of disciplinary areas ! 

if that be the case they should just take their child elsewhere ! If my child was at a school that I didn’t agree with their teachings that’s what I would do. 

• Like (+1) 1

Clearly will be overturned. as it should be.

But those who have read the article realize that this was NOT the "religious fanatic takeover" that tibsy is trying to pass off on the board.

Here is the lines immediately following where he quoted.

The posters, which will be paired with a four-paragraph “context statement” describing how the Ten Commandments “were a prominent part of American public education for almost three centuries,” must be in place in classrooms by the start of 2025.

Under the law, state funds will not be used to implement the mandate. The posters would be paid for through donations.

The law also “authorizes” but does not require the display of other items in K-12 public schools, including: The Mayflower Compact, which was signed by religious pilgrims aboard the Mayflower in 1620 and is often referred to as America’s “First Constitution"; the Declaration of Independence; and the Northwest Ordinance, which established a government in the Northwest Territory — in the present day Midwest — and created a pathway for admitting new states to the Union.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, T master said:

Maybe they have figured out the basic link for a lot of the reasons why the world and more specifically the US has went right in the sh***er ! 

The world is doing fine. What problem do you MAGA nuts want to solve by posting a set of rules your leader pisses all over. Trump violates all those rules, yet you vote for him.

MAGA is such a joke

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

The world is doing fine. What problem do you MAGA nuts want to solve by posting a set of rules your leader pisses all over. Trump violates all those rules, yet you vote for him.

MAGA is such a joke

So you intentionally did not quote the entire article, agree with the 10 commandments, and then try to make this a Trump/MAGA thing.  You have a strange obsession dude.

• Agree 4

4 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Clearly will be overturned. as it should be.

But those who have read the article realize that this was NOT the "religious fanatic takeover" that tibsy is trying to pass off on the board.

Here is the lines immediately following where he quoted.

The posters, which will be paired with a four-paragraph “context statement” describing how the Ten Commandments “were a prominent part of American public education for almost three centuries,” must be in place in classrooms by the start of 2025.

Under the law, state funds will not be used to implement the mandate. The posters would be paid for through donations.

The law also “authorizes” but does not require the display of other items in K-12 public schools, including: The Mayflower Compact, which was signed by religious pilgrims aboard the Mayflower in 1620 and is often referred to as America’s “First Constitution"; the Declaration of Independence; and the Northwest Ordinance, which established a government in the Northwest Territory — in the present day Midwest — and created a pathway for admitting new states to the Union.

I'd have no problem studying the Ten Commandments in history class, fine. But should we also teach how the Puritans hated Christmas?

33 minutes ago, phypon said:

How do you feel about putting statues of Baphomet in schools?

First, I actually love the "Baphomet" statue. It perfectly captures generic idol worship but with a satanic label. We all make fun of trolls, hate trolls, etc. But a damn good troll with a point to it is worthy of grudging respect. Well played.

Second, as far as a matter of law ... yes, if you are requiring the Ten Commandments to be posted in classrooms (not as part of a display on "major world religions" including Hinduism, Buddhism, whateverism) you are endorsing the view that there is one god, one true God, and it is the god of Abraham and the Abrahamic religions. And even with the current Supreme Court, that is a bridge too far. 

11 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

MAGA is such a joke

The one commandment both sides could learn from is about bearing false witness !!! 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

First, I actually love the "Baphomet" statue. It perfectly captures generic idol worship but with a satanic label. We all make fun of trolls, hate trolls, etc. But a damn good troll with a point to it is worthy of grudging respect. Well played.

Second, as far as a matter of law ... yes, if you are requiring the Ten Commandments to be posted in classrooms (not as part of a display on "major world religions" including Hinduism, Buddhism, whateverism) you are endorsing the view that there is one god, one true God, and it is the god of Abraham and the Abrahamic religions. And even with the current Supreme Court, that is a bridge too far. 

Didn't peg you for a worshiper of Satan, but whatever floats your boat.  I guess it makes sense considering your stance on most issues. 

Serious question, for real serious question, are you okay with child sacrifices?  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, phypon said:

Didn't peg you for a worshiper of Satan, but whatever floats your boat.  I guess it makes sense considering your stance on most issues. 

Serious question, for real serious question, are you okay with child sacrifices?  

Of course not.

The Satanic Temple thing is clearly, obviously a troll. They even say they don't worship Satan or even believe that there is an actual "Satan." It is supposedly a stand-in for an atheistic commitment to rationality.

And yes, they are making their point by forcing their inclusion under existing constitutional doctrine.

By the way, this is exactly the same tactic the right-wing Christians are doing by requiring posting of the Ten Commandments. 

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

are you okay with child sacrifices

You know who was ok with it?

Abraham.

Until God told him he was just being trolled.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Of course not.

The Satanic Temple thing is clearly, obviously a troll. They even say they don't worship Satan or even believe that there is an actual "Satan." It is supposedly a stand-in for an atheistic commitment to rationality.

And yes, they are making their point by forcing their inclusion under existing constitutional doctrine.

By the way, this is exactly the same tactic the right-wing Christians are doing by requiring posting of the Ten Commandments. 

I don't agree with any religion being mandated in public schools.  Just want to make that clear, even though I think the Ten Commandments offer some very sold life advice.

You didn't answer my question though: Serious question, for real serious question, are you okay with child sacrifices?  

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, T master said:

The one commandment both sides could learn from is about bearing false witness !!! 

Well, Trump violates that one almost every single time he speaks, so no real equivalency there. Not even close

9 minutes ago, phypon said:

I don't agree with any religion being mandated in public schools.  Just want to make that clear, even though I think the Ten Commandments offer some very sold life advice.

You didn't answer my question though: Serious question, for real serious question, are you okay with child sacrifices?  

I did answer it.
Of course I'm not ok with child sacrifices.

The "Satanic Temple," which is an actual organization, doesn't say that it's ok with that either. Probably some non Satanic Temple satanists think child sacrifice is o.k., but that's separate, and those people (if there even are any) are stupid and evil.

And again, Jews/Christians/Muslims worship a God that - at least at one time - ordered his follower Abraham to sacrifice his first-born son.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I did answer it.
Of course I'm not ok with child sacrifices.

The "Satanic Temple," which is an actual organization, doesn't say that it's ok with that either. Probably some non Satanic Temple satanists think child sacrifice is o.k., but that's separate.

And again, Jews/Christians/Muslims worship a God that - at least at one time - ordered his follower Abraham to sacrifice his first-born son.

That is correct.  It's also in Deuteronomy.  I'm not on board with any religion that that has supported any type of sacrifice.  I just wanted a straight answer from you, which you provided.

4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

MAGA don't understand

MAGA's gonna getchya...

54 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

MAGA is such a joke

• Like (+1) 2