Von Miller/Epenesa/Groot.......over/under 20 combined sacks??

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Nobody said that.  I have my doubts because he relies more on speed off the line, flexibility, and bend to generate pass rush.  Just look at this ghost move he perfected.

If he was a power based rusher it would be easier to come back from a second ACL tear at his age.  I would be perfectly happy if he's even 75% of what he used to be but my expectations are low.

75% might be a HoFer

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s going to have to be over but I’m not sure that it will be 😬

Just wondering why you say it will “have to be over”?  

Just make the playoffs and hope the pressure doesn’t stink when we need it.  

On 6/20/2024 at 12:09 AM, Allen2D̶i̶g̶g̶s̶TBD said:

I think Dawuane Smoot could also get about 5 sacks this season to get 20+ total from our defensive ends.

Absolutely,  big upgrade over Lawson for example 

I also like what I saw from Kingsley in limited opportunities last year, he seems to be progressing nicely 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Neo said:

Then Oliver is All Pro and/or Carter is DROY.

We got 50+ last year without Oliver as an All Pro & if Carter produces as much as Floyd did, he is probably not winninh DROY

39 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

We got 50+ last year without Oliver as an All Pro & if Carter produces as much as Floyd did, he is probably not winninh DROY

Brother, if Carter has 10.5 sacks and leads the team, he probably will win DROY or be top 3.

Groot has 10's of millions of dollars at stake. Career year incoming.

AJE has been consistent - 6ish sacks at 35ish% snaps. He should push double digits in a larger snap share.

Miller, we'll see. Boom or bust. He'll either play fairly well or be largely useless.

Over.

19 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

I say over. I think Babich unleashes hell this year. 

our version of Steve Spagnuolo.  I can buy that.  However, I don't think McDermott allows him a free ride.

Could we add Javon Solomon and make it 30 sacks for the four of them.   He could be a difference maker.

20 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think AJE will lead the team in sacks. I think he is our outside best pass rusher unless Solomon really surprises. I can see AJE being in your 8-10 range and the three players listed still being under 20 combined. 

Come on Gun?....unless he gets 80% of the snaps, he's not touching 10 sacks.  McDermott doesn't trust him enough with his rotation to increase his snaps.  Oh and just for statistical comparison Kelsay had 15 sacks his first 4 full seasons. AJ had 15.5

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Come on Gun?....unless he gets 80% of the snaps, he's not touching 10 sacks.  McDermott doesn't trust him enough with his rotation to increase his snaps.  Oh and just for statistical comparison Kelsay had 15 sacks his first 4 full seasons. AJ had 15.5

If they are not going to increase his snaps then signing him to a new deal was a mistake. AJE can rush the passer. It is everything else he struggles with. Maybe that means his snaps don't go up but I don't know who else plays? It will be very apparent very quickly that they can't roll Von out there IMO.  Kelsay never could rush the passer and was also starting and playing a very high snap count. I don't think the two are at all analogous as players. 

I repeat I think AJE will lead the team in sacks this year. Reasons being he will have to play more because there is nobody else and they will have to simplify what they ask from him and allow him to just pin his ears back and rush.

On 6/21/2024 at 7:44 AM, Doc Brown said:

Nobody said that.  I have my doubts because he relies more on speed off the line, flexibility, and bend to generate pass rush.  Just look at this ghost move he perfected.

If he was a power based rusher it would be easier to come back from a second ACL tear at his age.  I would be perfectly happy if he's even 75% of what he used to be but my expectations are low.

This. 100% this.

21 hours ago, uticaclub said:

What if the team gets 50 sacks but these 3 guys have less than 20?

Different than the OP's question, but another good ?? is whether or not the team will get > 50?

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If they are not going to increase his snaps then signing him to a new deal was a mistake. AJE can rush the passer. It is everything else he struggles with. Maybe that means his snaps don't go up but I don't know who else plays? It will be very apparent very quickly that they can't roll Von out there IMO.  Kelsay never could rush the passer and was also starting and playing a very high snap count. I don't think the two are at all analogous as players. 

I repeat I think AJE will lead the team in sacks this year. Reasons being he will have to play more because there is nobody else and they will have to simplify what they ask from him and allow him to just pin his ears back and rush.

Yes, it would make zero sense to re-sign him and play him <40% of the time.  Also, I believe Kelsay was mostly a strong-side LDE, so bad comparison.

Edited by TPS
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.