Von Miller/Epenesa/Groot.......over/under 20 combined sacks??

1 hour ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

Fixed. 👍

That was next level funny, thanks. Made my afternoon 👍

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

Agreed on the Von front.  While I don’t believe he’s a sure thing to be good again, I think it’s unfair to assume he’s toast because of what we saw last year.  That may be the case, he may be done….but I believe some people are built different mentally and physically.  Based on his career, I believe Von may be one of those built different.

If he plays in 14+ games, I think he’ll get 6+ sacks.  

Regarding Groot and AJ, I think they’re both shoo ins for 7+ (if healthy).  AJ has improved every season and has an explosive get off.  Groot has looked like a dominant player at times- then he inevitably gets a lower body injury that slows him down.  Stay relatively healthy and I think they hit over 20

Yeah- I’ll go under on 54.  Eager to see what Babich brings to the table though.  

Yeah, 54 sacks ranking us 4th was rather impressive considering we got nothing from Von, Milano and Jones. But then again the Ravens were #1 in sacks, yet they couldn't touch Mahomes in the playoffs.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Augie said:

Throw in Solomon with 15 sacks and we got this easy. 

I may have a fever, don’t hold me to this.   😋

He really is a guy I am strangely intrigued to see play. 

I think Toohill is really going to pleasantly surprise.

16 hours ago, H2o said:

You want to take the over. Three guys, who are supposedly our best pass rushers, can't get over 20 combined sacks? 7 sacks a piece? One get 11 and the other two get 5? Whatever it may be, I'm not confident enough to say yes. I'm going with the under. 

Groot had 5 sacks in the first 4 games before picking up an injury that nagged him rest of the season.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It's uncommon for a player of that age to come back from an ACL tear.  That's why he's being dismissed.

16 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

As in worthy of ridicule?

He’s old, he’s coming off a sometimes career ending injury and often career diminishing injury. The odds are decidedly against him regaining anything near his former ability.

Okay can we all agree that something happened already that we think is only happening now?

Von already came back from his ACL tear. That was last year. I don't think anyone with a brain would believe for a second that Buffalo’s highly trained doctors would give the medical go ahead for Von to play if he weren't healed. And what motivation is there really on the part of the coaching staff to put him back on the field to risk further injury?

So this isn't a question of whether he has recovered. He has. Now the question probably has to do with a combination of Von regaining strength, flexibility and (maybe most importantly) confidence in that leg. He's reportedly not wearing a brace, so that's a good sign.

That Von Miller is a freakish HOF athlete who has defied the odds throughout his entire career is what should probably give people more confidence he can come back and play at a high level. He looked like his HOF self at 33... the idea that he's a scrub at 35 after what will be nearly 2 years of rest and recovery is what seems ridiculous to me.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Okay can we all agree that something happened already that we think is only happening now?

Von already came back from his ACL tear. That was last year. I don't think anyone with a brain would believe for a second that Buffalo’s highly trained doctors would give the medical go ahead for Von to play if he weren't healed. And what motivation is there really on the part of the coaching staff to put him back on the field to risk further injury?

So this isn't a question of whether he has recovered. He has. Now the question probably has to do with a combination of Von regaining strength, flexibility and (maybe most importantly) confidence in that leg. He's reportedly not wearing a brace, so that's a good sign.

That Von Miller is a freakish HOF athlete who has defied the odds throughout his entire career is what should probably give people more confidence he can come back and play at a high level. He looked like his HOF self at 33... the idea that he's a scrub at 35 after what will be nearly 2 years of rest and recovery is what seems ridiculous to me.

Nobody said that.  I have my doubts because he relies more on speed off the line, flexibility, and bend to generate pass rush.  Just look at this ghost move he perfected.

If he was a power based rusher it would be easier to come back from a second ACL tear at his age.  I would be perfectly happy if he's even 75% of what he used to be but my expectations are low.

• Thank you (+1) 1

With Von? Under. The dude is beyond washed. If he gets 2 sacks he'll double my expectations. If he's not 500% better than he was last year he should be a healthy scratch all year.

I think AJ and Groot could combine for 16

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

With Von? Under. The dude is beyond washed. If he gets 2 sacks he'll double my expectations. If he's not 500% better than he was last year he should be a healthy scratch all year.

I think AJ and Groot could combine for 16

AJ's only averaged four sacks a season.  Groot has averaged about six.  There's never been a season where either one weren't fighting some type of injury.  Those are pretty high expectations.

9 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

AJ's only averaged four sacks a season.  Groot has averaged about six.  There's never been a season where either one weren't fighting some type of injury.  Those are pretty high expectations.

First of all... your AJE stats are factually correct, but the perfect example of how stats can be wildly misleading.

2020- 1 sack

2021- 1.5 sacks

2022- 6.5 sacks

2023- 6.5 sacks

And yes... injuries have happened for both. Last season for AJE and the last  couple for Groot. But consider how impactful both were pre-injury. And before we just waive both off as injury prone let's remember guys like Eric Wood who had consecutive years of weird freakish injuries to start his career and then played pretty healthy the rest of the way 

46 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Nobody said that.  I have my doubts because he relies more on speed off the line, flexibility, and bend to generate pass rush.  Just look at this ghost move he perfected.

If he was a power based rusher it would be easier to come back from a second ACL tear at his age.  I would be perfectly happy if he's even 75% of what he used to be but my expectations are low.

Are you an orthopedic doctor?

15 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I can see AJ having an 8-10 sack season this year. He's had back to back 6.5 sack seasons with limited reps. He was a monster last season but kept getting rotated out for Shaq and the ghost of Von Miller. I'm hoping he's the full time #2 with Miller serving out the remainder of his tenure here in a reserve role - ideally as the #4 or even #5. Realistically, McD won't be able to help himself and he'll be the #2b or #3 unless someone else steals the job outright.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I can see AJ having an 8-10 sack season this year. He's had back to back 6.5 sack seasons with limited reps. He was a monster last season but kept getting rotated out for Shaq and the ghost of Von Miller. I'm hoping he's the full time #2 with Miller serving out the remainder of his tenure here in a reserve role - ideally as the #4 or even #5. Realistically, McD won't be able to help himself and he'll be the #2b or #3 unless someone else steals the job outright.

I think he would've reached 10 last year if he didn't get injured in that KC game.  He was pretty bad when he came back late in the season still dealing with that rib injury.

21 hours ago, TPS said:

I won't disagree with the second point, and I agree there are a lot of other variables outside of snap count, but...

AJE's stats are pretty consistent the past two years. I'd be willing to make a small wager that he'll get 8-10 sacks this year as long as he gets over 50% of the D snap counts.

I think AJE will lead the team in sacks. I think he is our outside best pass rusher unless Solomon really surprises. I can see AJE being in your 8-10 range and the three players listed still being under 20 combined. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think AJE will lead the team in sacks. I think he is our outside best pass rusher unless Solomon really surprises. I can see AJE being in your 8-10 range and the three players listed still being under 20 combined. 

Yes, I think Groot is the wild card here.  I could see him getting 5 sacks again or 10+. 

Epenesa not as the starter and injured for a few games was 6.5 last year.   He has seemed to ascend at a moderate pace pretty much every year.  If he can remain healthy I think he will get 8+ this year.  Groot will probably be somewhere around 6-7.   Von before the injury was ripping it up and you could definitely tell last year that he lacked any explosion and bend which you would reasonably believe had to do with the ACL injury.   If Von can remain healthy I could definitely see him getting 6+ sacks.

A lot of if's in there, I guess I would go with the under but I wouldn't be surprised to see them get 20+ either.

I am optimistic on our outside rushers so I'll guess over.  I think AJE goes over ten this year.  Hopefully he sees more snaps.  Groot is a solid pass rusher and if he's healthy he should be good for another 7 or 8 sacks.  I'd really love to see Miller be the rotational guy and spell both of those guys, stay healthy, and hopefully still provide 6 to 10 sacks and hopefully consistent pressure.  Part of all of this I don't see mentioned a lot is also on the DT's.  I really think for our ends to do as well as I hope we need our interior line rushers to stay healthy.  If Jones and Oliver are both healthy they are far more likely to get the QB off his spot and the DE's can get more clean up sacks.

Edited by Maine-iac
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.