RIP Willie Mays

12 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

The Say Hey Kid has gone to that great ball diamond in the sky.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/40382540/legendary-center-fielder-willie-mays-dies-93  ... RIP Wiliie

Man I thought he already had passed away . He will never be forgotten for this ... 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just to put his greatness in perspective, Mays came in the same year as Mantle, 1951.

He matched Mantle’s stats when Mantle retired in ‘68. Then hit another 100 home runs.

• Like (+1) 1

RIP.

Gr8 breakdown of "The Catch."  May's made a 450 foot fly-out and the game ended on a 250 foot homerun. Go figure!

2 hours ago, US Egg said:

Just to put his greatness in perspective, Mays came in the same year as Mantle, 1951.

He matched Mantle’s stats when Mantle retired in ‘68. Then hit another 100 home runs.

And took over a year off for the Korean War.

• Like (+1) 2

For the most part Willie was before my time. But on a summer night in 1973 I saw him hit a 3-run HR against the Cardinals. At the time I was selfishly hoping it would be the last HR of his career, but he ended up hitting two more.

RIP to a legend.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

And took over a year off for the Korean War.

It’s not a stretch to say Mays would have hit 700 home runs were it not for that time lost. Same could also be said of Ted Williams, he missed almost 5 seasons due to the service.

While I still watch the game, for me the HR hitters of today don’t have the allure, and lore, of the greats of the past.

…..except Ohtani.

• Agree 1

Just found this...Willie was my favorite - one of only a handful of 6 tool players --- hit, hit with power, run, throw, field and baseball intellect ...

I enjoyed this appearance on Bewitched..

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.