NGFFL

8 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Jesus Christ. Are you serious with this garbage?

We don't want your kids recruiting ours, breeder.  What's so hard to understand?!?

1 minute ago, Simon said:

Juaronimo may have some loose wires, but they're not the kind that burn down the house.

They just sort of make you sniff around like you're worried  there might be a smoldering short up there somewhere.

Geebus, he's trolling himself now.....

Multitasking gone wrong.

4 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I like big boobs

Men's or Women's?

• Haha (+1) 6

51 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

It's being so normalized and accepted throughout lower level sports (and high level womens sports) that it's just kind of hard to believe it was needed in something like flag football.

Maybe it's just the football crowd, but especially the mens leagues, where it's a bigger hurdle.

Women's leagues, like the WNBA I mentioned before, are very welcoming and upfront about it.

Maybe, but I don't think one of the central plot points of Mean Girls (probably the key plot point tbh) was a girl starting a rumor that another girl was a lesbian was done at all by accident.

I posted this earlier up thread, but feels fitting...I read this when it came out in the actual magazine back in 2011 and I haven't re-read it, but it obviously left enough of an impression that I searched it out intentionally when I was reading through this thread earlier:

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/news/story?page=Mag15unhealthyclimate

Plenty of people are addicted to being an “ally” for many different underrepresented groups, it feels good to think you’re helping those in need, even when most of those groups could care less about a flag football league lol.

The heavy lifting was done in the late 60s 70s and 80s where the LGBTQ community was under actual threat of physical violence and prejudice. The current western society is so accepting that there’s no “civil rights” fight for the allies.

I’m sure if you could wind the clock back and tell the gay communities who were fighting for their legal rights and personal safety that in 50 years the fights would be over gay flag football they would laugh and cry tears of joy at that ridiculous prospect.

13 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Maybe, but I don't think one of the central plot points of Mean Girls (probably the key plot point tbh) was a girl starting a rumor that another girl was a lesbian was done at all by accident.

I posted this earlier up thread, but feels fitting...I read this when it came out in the actual magazine back in 2011 and I haven't re-read it, but it obviously left enough of an impression that I searched it out intentionally when I was reading through this thread earlier:

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/news/story?page=Mag15unhealthyclimate

Thanks for sharing. It's obviously a point of contention, but there's no real barrier.

Like when leagues were racially segregated back in the day. There was a literal barrier that caused the need to create a black league and black universities.

When segregation ended, there was still contention, but that went away over the years.

That's the path I thought the contention with LGBTQ players was taking as well. There's no barrier here that justifies a need to create a separate league. They need to coexist in order to move forward.

Creating a separate league is going backwards.

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean it is literally one news article on the Bills website announcing a link up trying to drum up awareness for potential players and sponsors. They are not saying "oh and boyst must come and watch while wearing a pride flag and a feather boa" or "you won't be allowed into a Bills game next year without proof you participated in a gay flag football game." 

It is one post on a website. If that is too "in your face" that's a you problem.

I don't want to speak for others eapecially that I'm debating, but I think that for the vast majority of people in this thread that sound like they are against the league, I am getting the sense that likely don't actually have an issue with there being a league.

Also, I don't think you need to justify or defend why a league like that should exist. People arguing that point and not listening to the answer aren't going to change their mind and I think you did an excellent job explaining it earlier in the thread. Like you have your experience, people saying your first hand experience is wrong and that you're not thinking or feeling the things that you're feeling or have felt/worried about in your head, feels a bit gaslight, though I'm not getting the sense it's actually intentional, just might be a valid time for you to quote Stanely from the far superior US version on The Office and drop a "did I stutter?"

Quick aside, when I lived in Fort Lauderdale, my wife and I actually lived in Wilton Manors for 7 years (annoying I feel the need to preface that with "my wife") and it is such a cool and amazing place and just seeing people who in a lot of situations might feel judged and marginalized being able to sit and just talk at a restaurant and hearing them fully and genuinely laugh. There actually was a flag football team that used to practice in a park I used to walk to in my neighborhood and they were pretty good and I'm assuming they were all or majority gay.

Before I get to my point, I do think that my favorite misconception I've seen in this thread is about how people are joking that this league would be super popular with gay guys because all the athletes would be super in shape and classicaly attractive, and I don't think that's necessarily the case from my understanding...the hidden benefit of being a marginalized minority group in some ways is that societal norms haven't really been forced onto them, including unrealistic beauty standards...I think there is a significantly wider range of what attractive is and so many different ways to express oneself, which is so different from what it is like in the mainstream society, especially for girls...shoot, talking about grooming,  we've be grooming girls for eating disorders since at least 1955.

Alright, my main point...I think it might be interesting to talk about virtue signaling, DEI and the difference between fluff corporate bs where it's just like slogans on a helmet vs actual meaningful stuff that can come from people within corporations demanding change and working together to speak truth to power through employee resource groups that lead a lot of this stuff in actually meaningful ways.

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Quite frankly, the thought of sleeping with another man absolutely disgusts me.

It is a pretty gross thought, completely agree. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Thanks for sharing. It's obviously a point of contention, but there's no real barrier.

Like when leagues were racially segregated back in the day. There was a literal barrier that caused the need to create a black league and black universities.

When segregation ended, there was still contention, but that went away over the years.

That's the path I thought the contention with LGBTQ players was taking as well. There's no barrier here that justifies a need to create a separate league. They need to coexist in order to move forward.

I mean people like to hang out together with other people who they have things in common with. I don't think that's going backwards, I think that's totally natural. 

So the issue isn't the league existing, right like gay bars are a thing, it's a social place where you can meet people you might be interested in talking to and maybe forming a closer relationship...this flag football league sounds largely like a social kickball league at most levels, where I know a few people who met one another playing kickball and got married, I think a social flag football league where if you are gay you might have a better chance to find a partner is totally a reasonable and fair thing that I don't think we really need to discuss further in terms of if it is something valid, it clearly is from a social hangout having fun hanging out with people you have stuff in common with perspective.

So that leaves the higher levels of the league, like what I imagine being the highly competitive levels that will maybe even get to play a championship game on the field at the stadium because of this. Is your point about going backwards more about why are the Bills putting money behind this and not other flag football leagues? 

I have an explanation based on my experience working at a big corporation, just want to see that makes sense in terms of where I'm leading this convo?

I saw this thread yesterday, but didn’t bother clicking on it because I wasn’t really interested in learning about the “National Girls Flag Football League” (I thought it was this given all the coverage of the high school girls). How very wrong I was having just seen an article by Beasley questioning “why?” I immediately came to this thread to see what I missed!

1 hour ago, HardyBoy said:

I mean people like to hang out together with other people who they have things in common with. I don't think that's going backwards, I think that's totally natural. 

So the issue isn't the league existing, right like gay bars are a thing, it's a social place where you can meet people you might be interested in talking to and maybe forming a closer relationship...this flag football league sounds largely like a social kickball league at most levels, where I know a few people who met one another playing kickball and got married, I think a social flag football league where if you are gay you might have a better chance to find a partner is totally a reasonable and fair thing that I don't think we really need to discuss further in terms of if it is something valid, it clearly is from a social hangout having fun hanging out with people you have stuff in common with perspective.

So that leaves the higher levels of the league, like what I imagine being the highly competitive levels that will maybe even get to play a championship game on the field at the stadium because of this. Is your point about going backwards more about why are the Bills putting money behind this and not other flag football leagues? 

I have an explanation based on my experience working at a big corporation, just want to see that makes sense in terms of where I'm leading this convo?

Absolutely. This is not a social thing, as far as I can tell. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems this is supposed to be a competitive league.

It's the National Gay Flag Football League. 

As far as I know, they already have national competitive leagues that are open to everyone.

Since that's the case, the rest of your post, while being a totally valid point, is not relevant to this conversation.

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

It's being so normalized and accepted throughout lower level sports (and high level womens sports) that it's just kind of hard to believe it was needed in something like flag football.

Maybe it's just the football crowd, but especially the mens leagues, where it's a bigger hurdle.

Women's leagues, like the WNBA I mentioned before, are very welcoming and upfront about it.

Yes it is more an issue in mens sports than women's sports. That has always been the case. 

4 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I'm afraid there is a barrier for many. It is a pyschological one caused by and reinforced by years and years of behaviour. Sports still appear to lots of gay people, particularly gay men, a place that is not for them. A separate league that makes clear it is for them is part of breaking down those psychological barriers. Of course in an ideal world it wouldn't be needed, but despite all the progress in the last 40 years we remain a long way off an ideal world. And hetrosexual people presuming that we do because he discrimination is far less overt than in the past and therefore homosexual people can just assimilate in all areas of life without a problem is somewhat ignorant.

4 hours ago, T&C said:

It is a pretty gross thought, completely agree. 

You got nudes? I'll give you an honest opinion...

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Although I’ve laughed at all the jokes, I could care less about a bunch of gay men playing flag football.  What I don’t understand is why the Bills need to formally back it.  I’ve lived and worked out around gay guys my whole life.  Normally, most are just guys amd if you leave them alone, they’ll leave you alone.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Absolutely. This is not a social thing, as far as I can tell. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems this is supposed to be a competitive league.

It's the National Gay Flag Football League. 

As far as I know, they already have national competitive leagues that are open to everyone.

Since that's the case, the rest of your post, while being a totally valid point, is not relevant to this conversation.

Dude, what are you talking about?!

There are like 256 teams in this league, you think it's a freaking top level high level competition thing?! 

You all are getting your nuts twisted up over a largely social beer league for people who have historically not been welcome in social beer leagues, and the Bills tossing some money to help get it off the ground in Buffalo and use their name to help more people be aware it exists...like perhaps it's time to truly evaluate why this stuff is so triggering.

All this ignorant backlash so many people automatically have had to this proves so clearly why something like this needs to exist.

From the Boston league page (all skill levels encouraged to participate)

image.thumb.png.2c9a65f3102759d7b96105b253cd05a0.png

Edited by HardyBoy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1