NGFFL

13 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

You've got to appreciate how stupid it sounds though, so apparently hell is gay people playing flag football......I mean it's not really my thing but it doesn't seem like that terrible a torment/punishment, do they have these things tiered or is directly next to the pit of fire or being flayed by demons or whatever else it's supposed to be. Or do we get to pick and choose because I'd probably pick that one between them.

Buenos dias. This new related to football in general discourse regarding Gayand Pride exacerbated after Harrison Butkers publicized commencement speech. 

I am a professed Christian and his comments regarding Gay people and PRIDE upset me. I share that because maybe just MAYBE if people reading this need to make a stand on just where their convictions lie.

I choose LOVE.  

I think I've said as much as I should. Haters gonna hate Hate HATE. That's what I think.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I always look at this in the context of Brokeback mountain.  Came out in 2005 - and was looked at very negatively, jokes were made, etc despite clearly being both culturally impactful and just generally the best picture of the year.  That same movie comes out in any of the last 5 years and it wins best picture in a likely landslide.  

Not even 20 years ago it was a punchline on late night TV.  

it is a phenomenal movie in all aspects.

36 minutes ago, Lost said:

Hmm.  And here I am still looking for a an Heterosexual flag football league to play in.   

First, it's not a gay only league, anyone can play, obviously they would not tolerate homophobia from players.

Second, you genuinely can't see the other perspective on why this might be necessary? Like you can't see a logical reason why this is something that is needed?

Would you say the same thing about a JCC league (JCCs are largely a community thing and not really religious at all)?

What about women only gyms?

You really can't see any reason groups of people who have been historically discriminated against or are made to feel unsafe or discriminated against would band together to create an organization that allows them to participate in their hobbies and where they feel safe to do so without the people around them making them uncomfortable or feeling like they need to hide their true selves?

• Like (+1) 1

ESPN's salvation is embracing ABC's old Wide World of Sports mindset, covering obscure sports few know or watch and competitions in America and across the world. 

The Gay Bowl, to me, is something people would watch. Reasons why they'd watch would vary.  Perhaps this league has a team that is the best flag football team in the country.  Who knows?

Dodgeball the Movie showed ESPN the way.  Need to embrace The Ocho.

1 hour ago, Lost said:

Hmm.  And here I am still looking for a an Heterosexual flag football league to play in.   

Also, why are there police, firefighter, etc leagues? Can't imagine you would say that same comment in response to someone talking about one those types of leagues. 

I mean the answer is comments like this aren't in good faith and I shouldn't waste my time trying to use logic to try and show why that is the case

22 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

First, it's not a gay only league, anyone can play, obviously they would not tolerate homophobia from players.

Second, you genuinely can't see the other perspective on why this might be necessary? Like you can't see a logical reason why this is something that is needed?

Would you say the same thing about a JCC league (JCCs are largely a community thing and not really religious at all)?

You really can't see any reason groups of people who have been historically discriminated against or are made to feel unsafe or discriminated against would band together to create an organization that allows them to participate in their hobbies and where they feel safe to do so without the people around them making them uncomfortable or feeling like they need to hide their true selves?

My post wasnt a criticism of anything.   I was legitimately stating that where I live there aren't even any regular flag football leagues for adults, I suppose do to lack of interest or participation.   If anything I was implying that having a league designated for only LGBT would have an even harder time finding participants outside of the big cities.    I definitely think there should be women only gyms as well btw.   Also I have no idea what a JCC league is

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Summer down. Jeeeez man. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Lost said:

My post wasnt a criticism of anything.   I was legitimately stating that where I live there aren't even any regular flag football leagues for adults, I suppose do to lack of interest or participation.   If anything I was implying that having a league designated for only LGBT would have an even harder time finding participants outside of the big cities.    I definitely think there should be women only gyms as well btw.   Also I have no idea what a JCC league is

JCC = Jewish Community Center

Gotcha! Yeah, when you said you were looking for an all heterosexual league it made it sound (and perhaps better put, I interpreted it) like you were saying this type of league isn't necessary or more so even offensive because it excludes people. It's just 95% of the time when people say stuff like that it's what they mean and I jumped to a conclusion and glad I clarified, to the extent it matters even that I get clarification, lol.

There are often pickup leagues or games that happen...I mean I've never lived really outside of a bigger city (Rochester, Boston, Ft Lauderdale, Raleigh), so can't say they are everywhere, but there might be some if you know where to find them? 

If you are wondering why this is a thing, ask yourself how many openly gay players are in the NFL.

That’s why. You’re fooling yourself if you think our 91 man roster is just straight men. 

Gay support is very triggering for some though. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Lost said:

Also, my bad on the comment below my first one...I genuinely thought you were saying something different and I honestly wasn't commenting to you directly, just there are so many people who approach this type of conversation in bad faith, but you don't realize it and you spend time talking through it and then they finally tell you how they really feel and it's like oh crap, you weren't ever changing your mind on this

5 minutes ago, boyst said:

Summer down. Jeeeez man. 

Probably fair

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, boyst said:

i wrestled. (so did cletus and we once wrestled each other in a tag team match with a tree root!)

anyways, my go to in a sports argument about soccer or golf or other such sports is always "that's not a real sport, like mens wrestling." the replies to that comment always make me laugh because i obviously say it in jest but people are so quick to categorize a sport as good or not good. wrestling is different is all i can say. the guys that were always the ...*... were the baseball players in college. those guys were just weird.

i hear what you are saying but i have spent a lot of time playing intramural sports as an adult. specifically kick ball, winning more championships than not in the years i've played. there are a lot of the LGB community in rec sports for cities. entire rosters made up of the folks in football, basketball, kickball and more.

this is just a silly way to draw division and lines between sets of people. there is nothing stopping them, quite literally, from joining other leagues. they're very welcome in every sport i've played as adult.

you using the labels hetronormative to describe any sport is also a bit alarming. sports are simply sports to many. an escape of anything to have a simple border in the field of play where only the play matters.

What does your ‘winning more championships than not’ statement have to do with your point 😂

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I always look at this in the context of Brokeback mountain.  Came out in 2005 - and was looked at very negatively, jokes were made, etc despite clearly being both culturally impactful and just generally the best picture of the year.  That same movie comes out in any of the last 5 years and it wins best picture in a likely landslide.  

Not even 20 years ago it was a punchline on late night TV.  

It did win 3 Oscars 

24 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

If you are wondering why this is a thing, ask yourself how many openly gay players are in the NFL.

That’s why. You’re fooling yourself if you think our 91 man roster is just straight men. 

Gay support is very triggering for some though. 

Also, look what happened with the rumors about Troy Aikman and Jeff Garcia, it was really wild.

Outside the Lines article from 1999 about homophobia in the nfl:

https://www.espn.com/otl/world/day2_part1.html

ESPN the Magazine article from 2011 talking about how coaches intentionally use coded language in recruiting pitches to try and gain an advantage in recruiting high school players and families ("family oriented"):

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/news/story?page=Mag15unhealthyclimate

Edited by HardyBoy

15 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

People Need to learn to love and respect others regardless of differences. Isn't that what diversity is?  

You’re correct. 

but I for one am

tired of having it crammed down my throat and tossed in my face constantly. 

be gay.  I don’t care.  Just stop

pushing it on others. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2