NGFFL

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The point is it is a flag football league that is specifically appealing to gay men who might not feel comfortable otherwise signing up for some other flag football league. Playing in standard soccer leagues never bothered me but I would be slightly guarded when deciding which of my teammates should know that my partner is a man. But for some gay people actually sport can feel quite a hetronormative, inaccessible field and so badging it as an LGBT league or whatever breaks down those barriers allows people to feel they can get involved. Even if there are non-LGBT partipants as well, it is that feeling that this is something that should hold no fears for you. 

I think it’s another way for the NFL to show support without upsetting fans that are bothered by other people living their lives.

The league has been around for 20+ years. I never heard of it before yesterday. No one should be angry the Bills are showing support.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Saw this on X and figured it was a joke. But nope. We're beyond parody at this point.

What do you mean “beyond parody?”

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

FACT: All wrestlers are gay. 

i wrestled. (so did cletus and we once wrestled each other in a tag team match with a tree root!)

anyways, my go to in a sports argument about soccer or golf or other such sports is always "that's not a real sport, like mens wrestling." the replies to that comment always make me laugh because i obviously say it in jest but people are so quick to categorize a sport as good or not good. wrestling is different is all i can say. the guys that were always the ...*... were the baseball players in college. those guys were just weird.

58 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The point is it is a flag football league that is specifically appealing to gay men who might not feel comfortable otherwise signing up for some other flag football league. Playing in standard soccer leagues never bothered me but I would be slightly guarded when deciding which of my teammates should know that my partner is a man. But for some gay people actually sport can feel quite a hetronormative, inaccessible field and so badging it as an LGBT league or whatever breaks down those barriers allows people to feel they can get involved. Even if there are non-LGBT partipants as well, it is that feeling that this is something that should hold no fears for you. 

i hear what you are saying but i have spent a lot of time playing intramural sports as an adult. specifically kick ball, winning more championships than not in the years i've played. there are a lot of the LGB community in rec sports for cities. entire rosters made up of the folks in football, basketball, kickball and more.

this is just a silly way to draw division and lines between sets of people. there is nothing stopping them, quite literally, from joining other leagues. they're very welcome in every sport i've played as adult.

you using the labels hetronormative to describe any sport is also a bit alarming. sports are simply sports to many. an escape of anything to have a simple border in the field of play where only the play matters.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 3

18 minutes ago, boyst said:

i wrestled. (so did cletus and we once wrestled each other in a tag team match with a tree root!)

anyways, my go to in a sports argument about soccer or golf or other such sports is always "that's not a real sport, like mens wrestling." the replies to that comment always make me laugh because i obviously say it in jest but people are so quick to categorize a sport as good or not good. wrestling is different is all i can say. the guys that were always the ...*... were the baseball players in college. those guys were just weird.

i hear what you are saying but i have spent a lot of time playing intramural sports as an adult. specifically kick ball, winning more championships than not in the years i've played. there are a lot of the LGB community in rec sports for cities. entire rosters made up of the folks in football, basketball, kickball and more.

this is just a silly way to draw division and lines between sets of people. there is nothing stopping them, quite literally, from joining other leagues. they're very welcome in every sport i've played as adult.

you using the labels hetronormative to describe any sport is also a bit alarming. sports are simply sports to many. an escape of anything to have a simple border in the field of play where only the play matters.

That, with respect, is your experience as part of the majority. As I say, I played and then coached in standard soccer leagues (semi-pro and then amateur) for 20 years, but it isn't accessible to a lot of gay people and just because there are gay people to whom it is doesn't change that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

And to think I'd have missed this gem of a thread because I had not a single clue of what NGFFL meant. Now I do 

It is healthy physical activity. For health reasons and comraderie between the men I say Cheers. It isn't hurting anybody.

But No straight guys allowed . Yeah whatever.  Maybe they could wear pride rainbow shirts for the gays and all black for hetero guys. Now That I might play to see 😎

flag football? why not. I like watching men play active sports.  The unies better be on point though. Just sayin'

Edited by muppy
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

So what's the screening process?

Jokes aside I get it being kind of silly to form such an oddly specific group, but on the other hand I also get using creating something like that to find other people you have something in common with and having fun playing a game. So who really ***** cares. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Warcodered
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

This is clearly a ploy to get me banned.

MUST... NOT... MAKE... ANY... GAY... JOKES...

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952r5klxkf0ps07zixg0d

Arrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I bet the most popular position on the team is a tight end

damn I cracked

On this team , i could see mostly hybrid TE/WR 

• Haha (+1) 1

Glad to see the Bills supporting the growth of the league. The organization doing so does not have any bearing on the team on the field getting to the Super Bowl - I’m 100% sure none of the coaches/players were involved in this discussion. I’m neither gay nor a man but I can understand the desire to have a means of playing the sport without dealing with the rampant homophobia that can accompany it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, boyst said:

the guys that were always the ...*... were the baseball players in college. those guys were just weird.

This is 100% true and I've spent too much free mental time trying to figure out why.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, OutOfBubbleGum said:

This world is going to hell fast.

Stupid shlt like this is exactly why those folks need a place that's free from ignorant asshats.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I didn't want to point this out last night, but I feel comfortable doing so in view of this post.

One of the most knowledgeable posters on this board, if not the most knowledgeable person on this board, is a gay man.  So for all of you who are whining or threatened or whatever about this flag football league, get a life.  Any fans of the Super Bowl teams have (likely unknowingly) cheered for a gay player.  Live and let live, don't worry about who somebody else loves, and move on.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Simon said:

Stupid shlt like this is exactly why those folks need a place that's free from ignorant asshats.

You've got to appreciate how stupid it sounds though, so apparently hell is gay people playing flag football......I mean it's not really my thing but it doesn't seem like that terrible a torment/punishment, do they have these things tiered or is directly next to the pit of fire or being flayed by demons or whatever else it's supposed to be. Or do we get to pick and choose because I'd probably pick that one between them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That, with respect, is your experience as part of the majority. As I say, I played and then coached in standard soccer leagues (semi-pro and then amateur) for 20 years, but it isn't accessible to a lot of gay people and just because there are gay people to whom it is doesn't change that. 

We can't truly debate perspective and experiences on this but I would like to mention that your 20 years of experience covered a long time and may not have been in the US. 

20 years ago is a WHOLE lot different than today. No true national candidates ran while supporting gay marriage just 15 yrs ago. Today the world is a lot more accepting of people as they are while there is growing discord and frustration with the in-your-face announcements which does not truly take away from people wanting others to live their own lives. 

In the last 6 years or so the LGB community has had a tremendous rise in acceptance beyond that of any generations prior.

4 minutes ago, boyst said:

We can't truly debate perspective and experiences on this but I would like to mention that your 20 years of experience covered a long time and may not have been in the US. 

20 years ago is a WHOLE lot different than today. No true national candidates ran while supporting gay marriage just 15 yrs ago. Today the world is a lot more accepting of people as they are while there is growing discord and frustration with the in-your-face announcements which does not truly take away from people wanting others to live their own lives. 

In the last 6 years or so the LGB community has had a tremendous rise in acceptance beyond that of any generations prior.

I always look at this in the context of Brokeback mountain.  Came out in 2005 - and was looked at very negatively, jokes were made, etc despite clearly being both culturally impactful and just generally the best picture of the year.  That same movie comes out in any of the last 5 years and it wins best picture in a likely landslide.  

Not even 20 years ago it was a punchline on late night TV.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1