How would Buffalo perform with Kirk Cousins?

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

I think we'd be in the same general vicinity but we'd drop half a tier. We would have lost some games we won, but we still would have racked up division championships. We wouldn't have gone on a 6 game win streak like we did last year, but we wouldn't have lost a bunch of those early season games either.

We'd have less playoff wins, but the same amount of Super Bowl rings.

Slightly higher floor, a lot lower ceiling

See I don't think we would be in the same general vicinity. I get the arguement of the bad division advantage....

However, there were some pretty good defenses in that bad division. Cousins I think would have a harder time handling those defenses compared to Allen.

13 minutes ago, sven233 said:

People would see real quick just how many problems Allen masks on this team.  We wouldn't be a Playoff team with Cousins.

Exactly, totally agree

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Cousins would be very mediocre on this team with our talent. Josh turns water into wine, while Cousins works within the system allowing other talented guys to make plays. Allen is the talented guy on this offense. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

See I don't think we would be in the same general vicinity. I get the arguement of the bad division advantage....

However, there were some pretty good defenses in that bad division. Cousins I think would have a harder time handling those defenses compared to Allen.

Exactly, totally agree

It's been rather close with Allen most years. I would tend to agree with you. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think they win more with Cousins because Kirk doesn’t require “the arm punt excuse” in order to be recognized.

Edited by Neo
  • Vomit 1

1 hour ago, Mikie2times said:

Would we get better players? Would Brady not be our OC?

If this change would completely alter the way this team is built I would be very surprised, I might even be concerned. 

Every team builds and strategizes around their starting QB. In your scenario of having Cousins instead of Allen, why would the rest of the team be the same?

35 minutes ago, US Egg said:

The bigger question should be would the Bills have won a Super Bowl with Mahomes?

…..or has this been done before?

I don't think so..

Organizational & coaching differences..

I think Mahomes might be the Josh Allen in Buffalo..

Great yes, rings, probably not. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Every team builds and strategizes around their starting QB. In your scenario of having Cousins instead of Allen, why would the rest of the team be the same?

I'm presume Beane will draft BPA whenever he can. If the modification is a slight tweak in style to better accommodate an immobile QB then maybe you think we would dedicate more resources to the OL? I don't think we would. Would we be pursuing different defensive players because I don't think we would do that either. We already had smaller WR's in the first iteration of Beanes build so maybe a few tweaks to what we see today but not a lot. Would you expect more investment where? I don't see it. So yes, the rest of the team would be largely the same. 

Edited by Mikie2times

2 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I'm presume Beane will draft BPA whenever he can. If the modification is a slight tweak in style to better accommodate an immobile QB then maybe you think we would dedicate more resources to the OL? I don't think we would. Would we be pursuing different defensive players because I don't think we would do that either. We already had smaller WR's in the first iteration of Beanes build so maybe a few tweaks to what we see today but not a lot. Would you expect more investment where? I don't see it. So yes, the rest of the team would be largely the same. 

All you say is "I don't think we would do that"

Okay, sounds good! 👍

4 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

All you say is "I don't think we would do that"

Okay, sounds good! 👍

By all means you're welcome to contribute your thoughts on how this team would be materially different. It was asked like 10 posts ago. 

1 hour ago, sven233 said:

People would see real quick just how many problems Allen masks on this team.  We wouldn't be a Playoff team with Cousins.

Bills defense has allowed the fewest amount of points since 2019. I get people want to give Allen all the credit but the Bills would’ve won probably right around the same amount of games with a QB like Cousins. Some games he probably wins that Allen lost and Allen would win some games that Cousins would lose. The biggest difference would likely come playoff time where the Bills lose some wild card games with Cousins.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

Are we talking about the Kirk Cousins who when he finally got his team in the playoffs threw a 4 yard check down pass on 4th and 8 to end a playoff game and lose to the Giants at home? That Kirk Cousins?

With Cousins the Bills are a 500 team the last 5 seasons with maybe one or two playoff appearances.

• Agree 1

Over the last 4 seasons with Allen we've averaged 12 regular season wins and have 5 total playoff wins.

I think Cousins with the exact rosters we've had (minus Allen) would have more like 9 or 10 regular season wins per year and MAYBE 1 playoff win. While I think Cousins is good enough to beat the Skylar Thompson Dolphins or the TJ Watt-less Steelers, he wouldn't have gotten us the 2 seed to host those teams. 

There's also the salary cap consideration that Cousins has been getting PAID since 2020 and Josh was on his rookie contract (until the most recent season) so the roster would've been noticeably worse. That would easily knock another win off per season

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Are we talking about the Kirk Cousins who when he finally got his team in the playoffs threw a 4 yard check down pass on 4th and 8 to end a playoff game and lose to the Giants at home? That Kirk Cousins?

With Cousins the Bills are a 500 team the last 5 seasons with maybe one or two playoff appearances.

You are dramatically understating how cushy the AFCE has been recently

Side note- how many people saying we'd be bad w cousins also voted that we have a top 1-4 team this year😂😂

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I think we'd be in the same general vicinity but we'd drop half a tier. We would have lost some games we won, but we still would have racked up division championships. We wouldn't have gone on a 6 game win streak like we did last year, but we wouldn't have lost a bunch of those early season games either.

We'd have less playoff wins, but the same amount of Super Bowl rings.

Slightly higher floor, a lot lower ceiling

Much lower floor. Much lower ceiling. 

• Disagree 1

21 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

By all means you're welcome to contribute your thoughts on how this team would be materially different. It was asked like 10 posts ago. 

It's your thread that you started. I'm just looking for any actual reasons or facts from you to justify your theory. All I see are unsupported opinions and generalities.

The fact is that they broke the playoff drought, with what everyone considered a poor QB, while playing average, bend-don't-break defense and having the number 4 running back. 

After drafting their guy and having another year to build around him, they get back to the playoffs in his 2nd year. Allen was still developing then. He was an above average QB in his 2nd year.

But with no reasons given, you think if they got Kirk Cousins (an above average QB) they would be even worse. 

the dude your opinion GIF

Reality has shown us that there is clearly a winning process under this regime no matter who the QB is. With an above average QB like Cousins, they would be just fine.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.