Joey Bosa to Bills Trade Proposal (Speculation)

No thanks.  Terrible idea.

Our DE's are just as good, if not better, than what Kansas City has.  Difference is they have Chris Jones.

Most recent Super Bowl Champions:

Chiefs - Chris Jones

Rams - Aaron Donald

Bucs - Vita Vea

Common theme?  The DL's are anchored by elite DT play.  

Can't hold a monster DT as easily in the Playoffs (which is clearly allowed at a much higher frequency)

Also allows the DE's to feast when the OL is worried about making sure the pocket doesn't collapse up the middle. 

A non-Nick Bosa/Myles Garret type DE isn't changing anything.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Too old

Too expensive 

Too unreliable health wise

Too much a hot head who refs already hate as much as Hughes.

....we gotta hit on an early round pass rusher next draft. Maybe Solomon shocks everyone?  Maybe not...

He's not old. I don't know why people keep saying that.

I'm not getting excited over the possibility.  I understand the Chargers recently redid his contract to make it more cap friendly, but I don't know the terms.  He is undeniably talented, but also undeniably injury prone.  If it happens, OK, but we'll probably be spending a ***** of time an energy worrying about his health.  

One...this isn't even speculation; this is a guy just creating trades in his own mind for discussion.  

Two...this would be a terrible idea.

Three...I have a hard time seeing Beane trading for an expensive aging oft injured DE after dealing with all the cap issues after the Von deal led to a year and a half of no Von or the ghost of Von due to injuries.

15 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Khalil Mack is the much more tradeable defensive end on the Chargers.

Mack's base salary is league minimum $1.225M and it's his walk year.

He makes a ton of sense for any contender looking for pass rush help if Harbaugh is looking to acquire draft capital before the deadline.

Mack should bring second round value if he continues playing like he did last season.

For $8M base salary the Chargers might as well keep Bosa and hope he gets right and then they have him under contract for $13M in 2025.

If the Bills are looking strong at the trade deadline, I would love to see a Khalil Mack "rental" to get them over the top for the playoff run.......heck, if Mack and the Bills do well in this scenario, the thought of re-signing Mack to a contract to finish out his career in Buffalo would not be out of the question.

• Agree 2

They got off Diggs contract because they didn't want to be saddled with a veteran who was making a lot of money and underperforming. Bosa has two years left on his reworked deal with a hefty cap number for 2025. He's also not been very healthy the past two seasons and while not super old for his position he is about to be 29 which isn't "young" either. The Bills are going to probably approach 2025 with making a trade for a player whose 25-27 and will be locked into their prime for the next 4+ years or continue to build cheap young players through the draft and "spread out" their cap space to plug whatever holes are needed with mid-level to upper mid-level free agents. 

Personally I am interested to see how this years rookie class plays out. If Bishop and SVPG plug into starting roles effectively and Coleman and Carter have nice impacts as "rotational starters" and the mid to lower round guys plug into niche roles well (Hardy as a returner, Ulo as a ST ace, Davis as a backup RB, and Solomon as a rotational back end DE) then I don't see why the Bills wouldn't continue to plug in draft choices and save most of their space to retain players down the line. But we will have to see what the holes on the roster are short and long term after this season. 

21 hours ago, Kincaid Kool-Aid said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10124564-8-shocking-nfl-trades-that-would-impact-playoff-races-in-2024

Bills Get: EDGE Joey Bosa

Chargers Get: 2025 Round 3 Pick

The AFC East has belonged to the Bills in recent years—the team has won the division each of the past four seasons. But after what seems to some a shaky offseason, it appears Buffalo's stranglehold on the AFC East may have loosened. Much has been made of the team's situation at wide receiver after the departure of Stefon Diggs and Gabe Davis. But the Bills have a potential weakness on defense as well. Only one player for Buffalo eclipsed 10 sacks last season—edge-rusher Leonard Floyd, who is now in San Francisco. Buffalo's projected starters on the edge (Gregory Rousseau and A.J. Epenesa) combined for just 11.5 sacks a year ago.

My take - seems to be too unrealistic to be anything but clickbait. When Bosa's not hurt, he seems to act like a hothead on the field. And we certainly don't need to saddle our books with another big contract that could end up being Von Miller 2.0 after doing so much off season surgery to get our salary cap in a good spot.

Discuss!

"Shaky offseason"

Ya... We'll see... B-)

18 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1) but he's got almost 70 career sacks at age 28

2) But he's played 8 seasons at 28.   Mack, for example had only played 6 seasons thru age 28.

3) and 4) True.  It's the issue.   But if you got 10-11 sacks and 7 forced fumbles for $8M you'd be thrilled as a GM.   Joey Bosa did that as recently as 2021.   Then the acquiring team gets the option to keep him at $13M for 2025 going into his age 30 season.  

Wait til you see the salaries for pass rushers in the offseason of 2025.   You aren't getting much for the money he's on the books for.

I'm not saying he'd be my target.   I'd rather rent Khalil Mack.   But if the price was right I could see a team trading a 3rd rounder for him.

How good is that really?

He's averaging a little over 8 sacks a year as their #1 DE. I'd rather just see what AJE can do in an expanded role.

8 hours ago, chris heff said:

And yet we both clicked 

To be accurate, I clicked on the thread but not the link. Sometimes I actually draw the line on links. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He's always been really good when he's healthy.    With him, that's the only real issue.   He is only entering his age 29 season.   It wouldn't be too surprising if he put up 50+ sacks over the next 5 years and finished with HOF level sack numbers.   Sometimes guys figure out how to stay healthier later in their careers.

Finally someone who actually thinks before writing on here.  Too bad it took to the second page of this thread.  Joey Bosa when healthy is better than anyone we have rushing the passer.  He plays w an edge and has a big time motor.  Guy is dam good when healthy.  What’s not to like.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

How good is that really?

He's averaging a little over 8 sacks a year as their #1 DE. I'd rather just see what AJE can do in an expanded role.

I want to see what AJE can do as well but regardless of how well he plays he is only going to get between 40%-60% of the snaps.

I don't think a trade for a DE is even on the table until the deadline unless there were a number of injuries or if their pass rush was terrible thru the first 5-6 games(which is unlikely as they return most of a unit that put up 50+ sacks).  

They have like 6 DE that they hope will play well enough to make the 53 at this point.   Only 5 probably will.   As long as none of the top 3 get hurt they will probably try to make do with what they have.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I want to see what AJE can do as well but regardless of how well he plays he is only going to get between 40%-60% of the snaps.

I don't think a trade for a DE is even on the table until the deadline unless there were a number of injuries or if their pass rush was terrible thru the first 5-6 games(which is unlikely as they return most of a unit that put up 50+ sacks).  

They have like 6 DE that they hope will play well enough to make the 53 at this point.   Only 5 probably will.   As long as none of the top 3 get hurt they will probably try to make do with what they have.

Hopefully one of them can make a play in the f******* playoffs!  😂 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1