Cook vs Davis

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Cook on another team wouldn’t come close to replicating that though.  Here he never faces stacked boxes to stop him, he benefits from Allen putting fear in defenses with his Arm, scrambling and power running. 

I like Cook, and he took advantage of what was there.  Just saying I don’t know that someone else like Davis couldn't replicate his last season or even surpass that.  

Davis is explosive and he runs with tenacity.  And honestly he probably has better hands too.  If Davis can show he can do that in the NFL, he’s going to push Cook for snaps.  

Honestly that' be great news.

Davis is elite and him and Cook making an amazing duo..

Cook is soooo underrated 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 3

Cook is spectacular from time to time, and effective regularly.   He is also agonizingly undependable at the worst possible moments.   Acknowledgment, I am not an X and O guy.   That said, Cook isn’t high on my list of reasons to be optimistic.    I hope he improves.  I hope the drops and fumbles disappear.   Until that happens, I’m not excited by his number being called in January.   I think he has a LONG way to go before we start talking about second contracts.   As he is, I’m for four years and done with a third rounder coming in.   All I know of Davis is his college tape .. and I am already as excited by him as I am about Cook.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Snowbowl said:

Way early to compare but it sounds like Cook continued to drop passes and Davis was very impressive in training. Will be interesting to see if this continues in training camp. Will be great if Davis pushes Cook so he’ll concentrate on catching passes. Hopefully they’ll both be great this year and make one of the best running back duos in the league!

It’s minicamp so you can only put so much stock in the drops.  But what worried me about Cook is he seems to make boneheaded plays at inopportune times.

What boggles my mind is that Cook was regarded as a great pass recovering back out of college but he’s largely been average as a pro with some high profile drops - usually for TD’s

Davis is a difference kind of RB but it was interesting that some regarded him as the best receiving RB in the draft.  

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 1

Incoming unfair comparison coming in … but to give body to a feeling … Thurman was money, Cook is hold your breath.   The Bills have two important players in this role … Bass and Cook.   

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Cook on another team wouldn’t come close to replicating that though.  Here he never faces stacked boxes to stop him, he benefits from Allen putting fear in defenses with his Arm, scrambling and power running. 

I like Cook, and he took advantage of what was there.  Just saying I don’t know that someone else like Davis couldn't replicate his last season or even surpass that.  

Davis is explosive and he runs with tenacity.  And honestly he probably has better hands too.  If Davis can show he can do that in the NFL, he’s going to push Cook for snaps.  

I saw Cook take a huge step forward in training camp LY, which anyone who watched Cook in college saw his natural skills. I think he's still got some room to reach his ceiling.  By some accounts, he's looking like he put the work in this offseason to make another leap.

His ceiling is much higher than Davis IMO.  Davis is a good back as well, and adds a different skill set, also another good pass catcher.  Cook has much more elusiveness/burst, and a better natural route runner.  Davis caught a decent amount of screens, is at least on equal footing, if not better, than Cook at pass pro (from a physical stand point).  I don't think Davis has the feet of Cook, or the ability to run outside as much in pros.  We shall see, I'm rooting for them both and probably our best 1-2 in quite a while.

Cooks problem has been confidence/over thinking.  He's going into year 3, has gained the confidence and I'd be willing to predict he outperforms last years total yards from scrimmage (on fewer touches).

• Like (+1) 4

18 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

The #1 RB in dropped TD passes is getting challenged by a rookie circa April 26th. 

again,  that'd be great. Then we have 2 elite RBs.  

Link to Cook #1 in dropped TDs? sounds b.s

13 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Cook is soooo underrated 

Why do you think so? He seems like what you'd expect from a second-round pick: neither average nor superstar. Just an above-average guy, a nice player to have, but hardly a lurking superstar. In fact, it crossed my mind that if Davis is as good or better than Cook, the Bills could trade Cook for a second-rounder, such as to a team that has an injury. With Ty Johnson and Curtis Samuel in the mix, they could still be better at the position than last year, and they would have three second-round picks next year. I like Cook ok, but those drops just suck. You don't want that on your team. 

13 minutes ago, finn said:

Why do you think so? He seems like what you'd expect from a second-round pick: neither average nor superstar. Just an above-average guy, a nice player to have, but hardly a lurking superstar. In fact, it crossed my mind that if Davis is as good or better than Cook, the Bills could trade Cook for a second-rounder, such as to a team that has an injury. With Ty Johnson and Curtis Samuel in the mix, they could still be better at the position than last year, and they would have three second-round picks next year. I like Cook ok, but those drops just suck. You don't want that on your team. 

His first year as the main guy he was statistically elite. 

He can run up the middle now. I think it was just an odd year w the drops but he also had some great catches and yac. 

Davis is a whole different body type, running style but can also catch great for a big back. No way I'd want Cook traded. Have 2 elite guys with different styles that could hurt the D

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I really like Davis but wouldnt call him explosive (not athletically; RAS of 4.64).  I think his vision and grit (agree with tenacity) is what gets me excited (great compliment to Cook). 

Hands are an interesting question.  I would be very surprised if he had less drops than Cook in college (think it was 1 or 2 for cook at UGA).  Cook really had an outlier bad year last year (year 1 drops were not a problem).  Hoping he regresses back to the mean in a good way.

They are different players so I dont think its wise to comment on if either could replicate what one has done.  It would be pretty easy for lots of people to say an athletically limited RB would not be able to take advantage of the space that cook did.  But again they compliment each other; i trust davis to get that hard 3rd down or TD because he wont be denied (basically his life story).  

• Like (+1) 1

I like the addition of Davis, much better backup than the retread veterans of yore.  Plus it continues the good strategy of grooming in-house and not maybe not paying vet RBs.  

I say "maybe' because J Cook might be the exception.  If you extrapolate J Cook's rapid improvement rate he has the potential to be exceptional - on the level of McCaffery.  Yes, I said it.  J Brady sees it and was designing plays to be more centric to the abilities of J Cook and away from Diggs and Davis.

The ball security issues reduced dramatically, even with more touches, indicates he is more mentally focused.  Next up are the drops. The talked about drops from Cook were higher degree of difficulty catches than most RBs get.  These were not the behind the line type Singletary malfunctions.  J Cook is improving before our eyes and so many people here can't see it.   J Brady is behind it.

As currently constructed, J Cook is designed to be a huge piece of the upcoming season.  Kincaid/Cook/Shakir are the main cogs surrounding Josh. J Cook is a high buy IMO in FF.  We see what J Brady is doing, and J Cook is going to be the showcase RB in a more conservative, yet potent offense.  Cook is in an ideal situation.

Cooks is a unique case.  He is efficient receiver but had a few drops last year in big spots.  His career at GA or as a rookie he didn't have a drop problem.  I think it could be attributed to an increase workload.  Not a lack of ability or a flaw in technique.  They were concentration drops.  Might be something to monitor if he will be pushing 300 touches again. If they trim some of his carries I think he could make a bigger impact and be a tick more explosive.

Pair with Davis I think helps Cook with the load of the offense.  Davis can do some of the things Cook does minus the down the field passing stuff.  I think Davis is a healthy contributor to the offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

I like this comparison for one reason. I feel like if Cook is to be an elite threat 

he has to be the pass catching running back that he was drafted to be. If Davis pushes him to that then awesome... but alas... it's only mini camp so there is that.... but it's fun to contemplate

Edited by JP51

On 6/18/2024 at 4:16 PM, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

He's from Duke.

That means he pulls a hammy when he gets out of bed in the morning 

Who is from Duke?  Davis went to Kentucky (and Vanderbilt...and Temple).  Cook went to Georgia.

• Like (+1) 3

23 hours ago, 947 said:

Cook doesn't have bad hands, but he absolutely does have an issue with concentration drops. There's a difference. You don't catch 40 yard wheel routes over the shoulder in full stride in the college football playoffs with bad hands.

That said, Cook had some costly drops last season & a few that would've put games away. It's a problem that needs to be fixed, hopefully Davis is the motivation to do that.

Cook had 4 documented dropped tds last season.  And if focus is the issue then that's even more terrifying. His ability to run between the 20's is impressive but McD doesn't trust him inside the 5?   If the drops and lack of focus continue into this season,  it will be NFL "not for long" for James.

• Dislike 1