Cook vs Davis

For those saying Cook’s layup dropped TD passes last year was an outlier, he reportedly had 3 more drops during minicamp. Just odd for a guy who coming out was known for his sure hands. If it’s concentration issue that’s concerning that very early on it doesn’t appear to be resolved. Cook is our guy next year but he will find his way back in the doghouse if critical mistakes persist 

Edited by BillsFooteball
  • Dislike 1

7 hours ago, BillsFooteball said:

For those saying Cook’s layup dropped TD passes last year was an outlier, he reportedly had 3 more drops during minicamp. Just odd for a guy who coming out was known for his sure hands. If it’s concentration issue that’s concerning that very early on it doesn’t appear to be resolved. Cook is our guy next year but he will find his way back in the doghouse if critical mistakes persist 

He is also being targeted in spots other backs are not.  Corner and deep outs from the split back or wing positions are things other backs cant do.  That adds to the overall difficulty of the catches.  Majority of his drops came down the field.  Traditional running back routes under 10 yards he was very consistent.  Those bigger plays come down to him and Allen working on it.  If he routinely makes those handful of plays he is in the conversation for best back in the league.   Thats Marshall Faulk and Thurman Thomas stuff really.  Right now only Mccaffery and maybe Kamara do some of the down the field things Cook does. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

He is also being targeted in spots other backs are not.  Corner and deep outs from the split back or wing positions are things other backs cant do.  That adds to the overall difficulty of the catches.  Majority of his drops came down the field.  Traditional running back routes under 10 yards he was very consistent.  Those bigger plays come down to him and Allen working on it.  If he routinely makes those handful of plays he is in the conversation for best back in the league.   Thats Marshall Faulk and Thurman Thomas stuff really.  Right now only Mccaffery and maybe Kamara and soon enough Ray Davis do some of the down the field things Cook does. 

Ray Davis has some very nice downfield WR-type catches on his highlight reel, I think Brady is going to put him in those spots early & often and I think he'll thrive

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

Ray Davis has some very nice downfield WR-type catches on his highlight reel, I think Brady is going to put him in those spots early & often and I think he'll thrive

Davis is a good pass catching back.  He is not what I described.  Cook moving as smooth as be does undersells how rare what he is doing really is.  I like Davis alot and is a 3 down back.  You are not going to see Davis 15 to 20 yards down field running a route like a slot wr. 

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Davis is a good pass catching back.  He is not what I described.  Cook moving as smooth as be does undersells how rare what he is doing really is.  I like Davis alot and is a 3 down back.  You are not going to see Davis 15 to 20 yards down field running a route like a slot wr. 

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 6/18/2024 at 9:20 PM, Freddie's Dead said:

Gabe Davis is no longer on the team, so hopefully his dropsies went with him....

Well, according to myth and rumor, we have a better Davis on the roster, 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mat68 said:

He is also being targeted in spots other backs are not.  Corner and deep outs from the split back or wing positions are things other backs cant do.  That adds to the overall difficulty of the catches.  Majority of his drops came down the field.  Traditional running back routes under 10 yards he was very consistent.  Those bigger plays come down to him and Allen working on it.  If he routinely makes those handful of plays he is in the conversation for best back in the league.   Thats Marshall Faulk and Thurman Thomas stuff really.  Right now only Mccaffery and maybe Kamara do some of the down the field things Cook does. 

I dunno about "majority of his drops", but I know there were drops on short routes where the ball was a little off but the commentator or film breakdown reaction was "you gotta reel that one in"

8 hours ago, Mat68 said:

It’s just tough to watch the drops after watching him at Georgia.  He routinely made the catches deep downfield.  His hands were his biggest selling point.  

• Like (+1) 1

Cook posted the following rushing lines in 6 games under Brady other than for the Dallas game:  

17 for 73, 4.3 ypc 

16 for 43, 2.7 ypc 

10 for 58, 5.8 ypc 

20 for 70, 3.5 ypc 

16 for 48, 3.0 ypc 

13 for 36, 2.8 ypc  

Playoffs:  

18 for 79, 4.4 ypc 

18 for 61, 3.4 ypc 

Total in those 8 games, 128 for 468, 3.7 ypc

He had one rushing TD in our early season blowout of Miami and another in our blowout vs. Dallas.  That's it on the season.  

If Cook is going to be the #1 then he'll have to do much better than that rushing.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Cook posted the following rushing lines in 6 games under Brady other than for the Dallas game:  

17 for 73, 4.3 ypc 

16 for 43, 2.7 ypc 

10 for 58, 5.8 ypc 

20 for 70, 3.5 ypc 

16 for 48, 3.0 ypc 

13 for 36, 2.8 ypc  

Playoffs:  

18 for 79, 4.4 ypc 

18 for 61, 3.4 ypc 

Total in those 8 games, 128 for 468, 3.7 ypc

He had one rushing TD in our early season blowout of Miami and another in our blowout vs. Dallas.  That's it on the season.  

If Cook is going to be the #1 then he'll have to do much better than that rushing.  

I for one am not that impressed with Cook. Either it’s him or Brady, but overall not that impressive to be honest.

• Dislike 1

40 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

I for one am not that impressed with Cook. Either it’s him or Brady, but overall not that impressive to be honest.

I'm not either nor have been, but we got what he was billed as coming into the league. 

But to the point, the guys in the video said that he got stronger as the season wore on, which is false narrative, not fact.  He got weaker as the season wore on.  

I'm still trying to envision WTF we're doing on offense, it changes every season and last season it changed mid-season.  We need to run Allen less, then we need to run him more, etc.  It seems that when their offense doesn't put up they simply turn to Allen to do it all.  That's not a plan, that's McDesperation, and it's damn good for McD that Allen's up to the task.  Imagine that with our past QBs ... SMH 

As to Cook, he's not a three down RB and he's never been proven to carry more than a very average number of times on a season with any great results.  He is what he is, but they knew that when they drafted him.  ... or should have known.  

The problem with our offense is that we have no one in charge that is capable of seeing the forest, not simply the trees.  We defer to whom Allen likes rather than someone knowledgeable and with the experience to make an offense be the best that it can be and to get the most out of Allen coupled with the least risk.  

This season McD apparently wants to, in the interests of "complimentary football," run more and focus more on a shorter passing game.  That's the exact opposite of what Allen's strengths are.  It's also complete reversal of what's made us most successful offensively.  And this nonsense that slowing the offense down helps the D [blah blah blah] ... I mean SMFH ...

Given Allen, and all that he's capable of doing, one would think that we could keep Ds guessing while opening up huge plays regularly.  We do to an extent, but it's not because of scheming more often than not.  

It's difficult to envision that changing as long as McD is here.  Hiring someone like that would threaten his tenure given our repeated defensive failures in the playoffs, and well, ... LOL ..., we all know that he's not going to do that.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

43 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I'm not either nor have been, but we got what he was billed as coming into the league. 

But to the point, the guys in the video said that he got stronger as the season wore on, which is false narrative, not fact.  He got weaker as the season wore on.  

I'm still trying to envision WTF we're doing on offense, it changes every season and last season it changed mid-season.  We need to run Allen less, then we need to run him more, etc.  It seems that when their offense doesn't put up they simply turn to Allen to do it all.  That's not a plan, that's McDesperation, and it's damn good for McD that Allen's up to the task.  Imagine that with our past QBs ... SMH 

As to Cook, he's not a three down RB and he's never been proven to carry more than a very average number of times on a season with any great results.  He is what he is, but they knew that when they drafted him.  ... or should have known.  

The problem with our offense is that we have no one in charge that is capable of seeing the forest, not simply the trees.  We defer to whom Allen likes rather than someone knowledgeable and with the experience to make an offense be the best that it can be and to get the most out of Allen coupled with the least risk.  

This season McD apparently wants to, in the interests of "complimentary football," run more and focus more on a shorter passing game.  That's the exact opposite of what Allen's strengths are.  It's also complete reversal of what's made us most successful offensively.  And this nonsense that slowing the offense down helps the D [blah blah blah] ... I mean SMFH ...

Given Allen, and all that he's capable of doing, one would think that we could keep Ds guessing while opening up huge plays regularly.  We do to an extent, but it's not because of scheming more often than not.  

It's difficult to envision that changing as long as McD is here.  Hiring someone like that would threaten his tenure given our repeated defensive failures in the playoffs, and well, ... LOL ..., we all know that he's not going to do that.  

As much as the wins changed with Brady, by no means did this team on offense perform as well as they should have, or are capable of. This coming season is going to be interesting, I’m not fully confident Brady is the answer…

• Agree 1

On 6/18/2024 at 7:11 PM, 947 said:

Cook doesn't have bad hands, but he absolutely does have an issue with concentration drops. There's a difference. You don't catch 40 yard wheel routes over the shoulder in full stride in the college football playoffs with bad hands.

That said, Cook had some costly drops last season & a few that would've put games away. It's a problem that needs to be fixed, hopefully Davis is the motivation to do that.

I don't think Davis will have anything to do with whether Cook cleans up his drops or not. This will simply just be the year where progression in those areas will make him or break him as far as superstar or guy fighting for snaps with another different style back.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kaenon said:

This shouldn't be Cook vs. Davis. It should be Cook and Davis. 

(2) totally different players to compliment one another.

Our offense should be several things that it hasn't been and doesn't seem to be shaping up to be this season either.  

19 hours ago, PBF81 said:

I think you've touched on the fact that our offensive woes are alot more to do with our revolving carousel at OC and McD will never hire an established OC that could replace him.

I have a strange feeling that Brady is not going to last long in that he doesn't take advantage of Allen's strength which is the deep ball

1 hour ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I think you've touched on the fact that our offensive woes are alot more to do with our revolving carousel at OC and McD will never hire an established OC that could replace him.

I have a strange feeling that Brady is not going to last long in that he doesn't take advantage of Allen's strength which is the deep ball

Allen has the huge arm obviously, but is the accuracy of his deep ball really his strength? They aren’t ALL dropped, and it seems very few are successful. I’m sure there are stats for that somewhere.  I prefer when he uses that big arm making magical things happen more in the intermediate range. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I don't think he's going to last all that long simply because he's not even proven himself to be average.  

It's like Brady and Belichick.  This notion that he would have done anything but what he did in Carolina, where he was fired midway through his second season there, and which was bottom quartile offense ranking, without Allen is ludicrous.  Nobody wants to hire Belichick because apart from being old, he's never done a damn thing w/o Brady and he's not bringing Brady with him.  In 11 seasons w/o Brady as his starting QB he's been to the playoffs twice, and is 1-2 in the playoffs.  Miserable.  Ironically that single win was over Bledsoe's Pats.  LOL  Bledsoe's one of the worst playoff QBs in NFL history.  Lamar Jackson's not good either but he's somewhat better than Bledsoe was.  

Anyway, I digress, Daboll wasn't accomplished as an OC either and his only two above miserable seasons as an OC or HC offensively were also with Allen.  Could be Brady and Allen, not their coaches.  

Just sayin'.  HINT:  It is.  

That's not to say that a see the forest for the trees type of OC wouldn't make our offense prolific, I believe one would.  We'll never see one here under McD however.  

On top of what you said, also going against Brady is the false narrative that Cook was something under him when he wasn't.  I wouldn't want to be relying on Cook given how he played under Brady last season.  And what, Davis?  He's a Moss clone at best, not even a Singletary clone.  He brings less to the NFL from college than either of them did.  

As to Coleman, it'd be wise to assume that his trajectory is going to be what Samuel's has been the past two seasons except with a lower catch%.  I have no idea why anyone thinks that he's going to a reliable and consistent WR when he wasn't in college.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/21/2024 at 7:13 PM, Kaenon said:

This shouldn't be Cook vs. Davis. It should be Cook and Davis. 

(2) totally different players to compliment one another.

Thank you for stating what this thread SHOULD be about.

This board has got to the point where everything is about THIS or THAT as the only choices.

Cook, Davis and Johnson are going to be doing some great things behind this year's OL IMO.

• Like (+1) 3