Cook vs Davis

Way early to compare but it sounds like Cook continued to drop passes and Davis was very impressive in training. Will be interesting to see if this continues in training camp. Will be great if Davis pushes Cook so he’ll concentrate on catching passes. Hopefully they’ll both be great this year and make one of the best running back duos in the league!

• Like (+1) 6

I don't read into the RB competitions too much.  The strategy seems to be to draft a new one in the middle rounds every year or two so that we have someone decent to take the bulk of the carries when the older guy is ready for a second contract.

Each one brings a little something different to the table, which is healthy.  

But as long as we never pay these guys Saquon Barkley money (unless they're a hell of a receiver), then I'm good with this approach

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 5

7 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I don't read into the RB competitions too much.  The strategy seems to be to draft a new one in the middle rounds every year or two so that we have someone decent to take the bulk of the carries when the older guy is ready for a second contract.

Each one brings a little something different to the table, which is healthy.  

But as long as we never pay these guys Saquon Barkley money (unless they're a hell of a receiver), then I'm good with this approach

Im hoping that Cook becomes so good that will have to pay him 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Putin said:

Im hoping that Cook becomes so good that will have to pay him 

And, when it comes time to pay him, they don’t and draft another third rounder. I’m good with that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Snowbowl said:

Way early to compare but it sounds like Cook continued to drop passes and Davis was very impressive in training. Will be interesting to see if this continues in training camp. Will be great if Davis pushes Cook so he’ll concentrate on catching passes. Hopefully they’ll both be great this year and make one of the best running back duos in the league!

I’m not arguing, because I have no idea, but where did you get this impression? This is the first I’ve heard it. Do you have a link or anything? Maybe I missed it and this is common knowledge, or maybe this is how things get started. 

32 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m not arguing, because I have no idea, but where did you get this impression? This is the first I’ve heard it. Do you have a link or anything? Maybe I missed it and this is common knowledge, or maybe this is how things get started. 

Yep, It's how things get started.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

??? 

The #3 RB in scrimmage yards is getting challenged by a rookie in June???

Cook on another team wouldn’t come close to replicating that though.  Here he never faces stacked boxes to stop him, he benefits from Allen putting fear in defenses with his Arm, scrambling and power running. 

I like Cook, and he took advantage of what was there.  Just saying I don’t know that someone else like Davis couldn't replicate his last season or even surpass that.  

Davis is explosive and he runs with tenacity.  And honestly he probably has better hands too.  If Davis can show he can do that in the NFL, he’s going to push Cook for snaps.  

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Snowbowl said:

Davis was impressive in training camp ?

I thought he was injured and didn't even show

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Cook doesn't have bad hands, but he absolutely does have an issue with concentration drops. There's a difference. You don't catch 40 yard wheel routes over the shoulder in full stride in the college football playoffs with bad hands.

That said, Cook had some costly drops last season & a few that would've put games away. It's a problem that needs to be fixed, hopefully Davis is the motivation to do that.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Cook on another team wouldn’t come close to replicating that though.  Here he never faces stacked boxes to stop him, he benefits from Allen putting fear in defenses with his Arm, scrambling and power running. 

I like Cook, and he took advantage of what was there.  Just saying I don’t know that someone else like Davis couldn't replicate his last season or even surpass that.  

Davis is explosive and he runs with tenacity.  And honestly he probably has better hands too.  If Davis can show he can do that in the NFL, he’s going to push Cook for snaps.  

Time will tell, but I think Cooks burst is on a different level than Davis.  And while Cooks hands have been a mixed bag as a pro, his hands were arguably his best trait coming out of college.  

I love Davis and I expect him to be the starter in 26, but I’m expecting Cook to be the unquestioned starter.  Could be similar to Shady and Gillislee/Karlos.  Unless……Cook continues to fumble.  That’s the one thing that will put him in the doghouse.  

it’ll be interesting to see how Cook deals with the competition with his eventual replacement 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.