Post your best Father/Son or Daughter sports moments

This is on sort of a different track - but one of my son's first years in little league, the coach had him batting 9th in the order for a few weeks.  He had shown some flashes, so the coach took a chance and moved him up to the clean-up spot.  It was the last inning, the team was down by 1, another player was on base, and he hit a home run to win the game.

Watching my other son catch the last out for a win was also big.  In terms of sports viewing, watching our playoff game against the Pats few years ago was tops.

Edited by Success
  • Like (+1) 4

My daughter was only 2 so she doesn't remember this, but she knows the story...

When she was little, I used to throw her up to the high ceiling of our house and catch her whenever the Bills scored a TD.  She would squeal in delight.   Well, there was a certain game where we weren't scoring much.  I was feeling pretty morose and she wasn't having any fun waiting for a touchdown even if she didn't understand what a touchdown was. 

Then The Comeback happened, and we both began yelling and squealing in delight!  

• Like (+1) 3

My son has been playing NFL Flag Football for four years. They have four seasons a year, so this will be his 16th, and last season, as he's entering high school in the Fall. He's never won a Super Bowl. Today, he plays at 3:00 (PDT). If they win, they'll play in his first Super Bowl at 6:00. They actually give the kids rings.

Wish him luck!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Both of my sons play baseball in the Charlotte NC area, one in college.  We've had a lot of great memories and we're still adding some.  I love watching them compete.  

In 2016 I bought NY Yankees tickets early in the season as we planned a trip from Charlotte.  The team sucked and as our game approached, Cashman began trading any players you'd even be interested in watching.  We couldn't believe that was the year we picked for a family trip.

As it turns out a prospect named Aaron Judge was called up and played in our game.  He hit his first home run as a Yankee and we were there.

Not as touching as some posts on this thread. My dad was a big Red Sox fan, as was I even though we were from NY. He pulled for them because they got smoked by Cleveland in a DH, his 1st game in person back in the 40's when they were really good. He felt sorry for them & the rest is history.

50 years later he had never seen the Sox in Fenway. For Father's Day in 92' I drove him to Boston for the weekend for 2 games, my treat. His first and only time he ever went there. 

It meant a lot, surreal to see Fenway in person when you've watched it for so many years on TV only.

That's it, Happy Father's Day to you all on this board. I'm only a Dog Dad 😀🐾

• Like (+1) 4

I FaceTimed my Dad earlier (90y/o). Mom passed a couple years ago. He lives in gated senior village near Orlando. I told him how proud I am to be his son and appreciated that he has led a model, righteous life and I’ve learned the important things in life from him. 
He welled up.

So did I.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Augie said:

So, I’m walking around Costco with my wife this morning when my phone rings. The caller ID says something it hasn’t said in more than 6 years, my son is calling. The son who passed away in 2018. I froze, and rushed over to show my wife the caller ID. Now we are both frozen. I’m almost confused about what to do, but I answered. Some lady now has his old phone number and was looking for a guy named Leo. 

Or, Michael just wanted me to hear from him on Father’s Day. 

WOW! What a terrifying, beautiful event on Fathers Day! Much love, Aug!

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, muppy said:

my first NFL game was the  first time ever in Buffalo  Monday Night Football game against  Kansas City.

It is special b because it was the only time I ever attended a game with my Mother. She like me became a staunch fan.

Then upon her last days there we were in the nursing home on a Monday night watching NFL football with Pontillos pizza and wings. She passes away a week later

I'm a mushball when it comes to stuff like this.For sure this thread is gonna make me cry it I a LOCK

🙂

I was at that game and stormed the field as the gun went off, ah young and stupid! Dandy Don Meridith played the crowd with Howard!

6 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I have a few..I've posted some before

First was flying my 10 and 9 year old sons on a red eye to Chicago from Portland to see the Bills Bears OT win. 

Second was attending Seahawks 49ers NFC Championship game

Third was flying cross country to watch Bills destroy the Patriots in the second coldest Bills game.

Last and the best was watching my son as a Freshman come from behind and win his team's 4x400 HS division championship! 

Great post Ethan!

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

My Dad took me to this game -I was seen on tv as the sideline camera on a moving cart was coming towards me and I stood up before anyone else. Friends from Ohio contacted me the next day to tell me they saw me. Fast forward to the early 90’s, I took my young -at the time- son to many games with his favorite being a Home playoff game vs the Chiefs where Andre Reed scored on 2 long TD passes.

the home made signs were a great memory from that clip. Many times we would hop onto the field long enough to secure those signs. Security didn't mind as long as you climbed right back afterwards 🙂 Howard Cosell on the scoreboard  video having a tantrum (his head on a kicking baby) was Classic and Hilarious. OLD SCHOOL two tone graphics 🙂

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, muppy said:

the home made signs were a great memory from that clip. Many times we would hop onto the field long enough to secure those signs. Security didn't mind as long as you climbed right back afterwards 🙂 Howard Cosell on the scoreboard  video having a tantrum (his head on a kicking baby) was Classic and Hilarious. OLD SCHOOL two tone graphics 🙂

Remember all! 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Augie said:

So, I’m walking around Costco with my wife this morning when my phone rings. The caller ID says something it hasn’t said in more than 6 years, my son is calling. The son who passed away in 2018. I froze, and rushed over to show my wife the caller ID. Now we are both frozen. I’m almost confused about what to do, but I answered. Some lady now has his old phone number and was looking for a guy named Leo. 

Or, Michael just wanted me to hear from him on Father’s Day. 

I think it was the latter.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Success said:

This is on sort of a different track - but one of my son's first years in little league, the coach had him batting 9th in the order for a few weeks.  He had shown some flashes, so the coach took a chance and moved him up to the clean-up spot.  It was the last inning, the team was down by 1, another player was on base, and he hit a home run to win the game.

Watching my other son catch the last out for a win was also big.  In terms of sports viewing, watching our playoff game against the Pats few years ago was tops.

That is awesome! Many of my favorite memories were from the gym or a field somewhere. That was our life for about a decade, the wife would get one boy to his game while I got the other where he needed to be. I hardly saw my wife on the weekends sometimes, as a lot of this was AAU/travel team stuff. 

I loved it when they had success because it made them so happy. But I honestly believe the very best of those times was at the hotel pool with a stack of pizzas after a day of games. The kids are laughing and playing, the parents are having drinks poolside, and life was good. I saw the Tom Brady tuck rule fumble at a poolside bar in Ft Myers with a bunch of parents who became close friends. I remember it like yesterday. 

Those were good times for sure. 

Next will be seeing the grandkids play. Life marches on. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

6 hours ago, julian said:

Taking my dad and my two sons who were around 12 or 13 yrs old at the time to Carolina at Buffalo game, it ended up being maybe EJ’s signature game with the game winning drive and TD to Stevie Johnson late if I remember correctly.

I bought my sons each an EJ Florida state jersey to wear to the game, as soon as they opened the stadium we went inside, it was my sons first game and I kind of wanted them to soak in the stadium for the first time like I had and also wanted to avoid the crush of people when arriving later.

We are sitting in our seats and the bowl only has a couple thousand people sprinkled about at this early time when all of a sudden I’m startled when 2 large black hands land on my sons shoulders and I immediately whip around and behind us is this big dude with a giant smile “ so sorry to scare ya “ he says and laughs, he goes on to compliment my son’s jersey’s and thank us for supporting his son EJ. 

What a cool moment for my boys , it was only a short 3 min interaction where he promised that his son was going to work hard to be great, and for EJ to then lead a late game winning drive was very cool.

It didn’t work out for EJ in the long run but it was a very memorable moment for 3 generations of fathers and sons, and it really propelled my boys fandom.

It was on Sept.15 . My Birthday. My son, wife and I were in the upper deck front row where the winning TD was caught! My best Birthday ever. Spent the weekend fishing with my boy and capped it off with that game. 
My picture on here is from that game😁

6 hours ago, Rubes said:

One I remember vividly was going to the fandemonium Bills-Jets game in 1988 when they won the AFC East in overtime, and everybody stormed the field.

My dad absolutely hated traffic, so when the Jets lined up for the game winning FG in regulation, he grabbed me and headed to the top of the aisle, ready to hightail it out of there if it was good. As we all know, Smerlas blocked the kick, sending it to OT. I grabbed my dad and we ran back to our seats to witness the rest.

Great day all around.

Had seasons that year with my buddy. What a great ending to a tough slog of a game.

6 hours ago, Beast said:

Lost my Dad as a youngster. I remember being at the Hail Mary game with him against the Patriots in 1981. That was the last game we attended. The Bills won and we were in the parking lot with most everyone else when Hooks caught the deflection to win it.

Same story here. It was my father’s birthday and he wanted to get a jump on traffic. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I grew up in the Detroit area and desperately wanted to go to the Lions and Bills thanksgiving game in 1994. My old man basically had me feeling like it was locked up. My excitement was at a frenzy the day before only for him to tell me that night that the plans didn't work out and he wasn't able to get tickets. I cried, moped, and complained basically until we had to leave for Thanksgiving that morning. We started driving to my grandmas and it was taking longer than I had thought. About the same time he looks over and says, you excited to see Kelly in person? I about lost it. I think I started crying. He was messing with me the whole time. Should have known better, he pulled a similar stunt when I asked to see Jordan. He's been gone a long time now but that is a memory I will always be very thankful for.   

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Mikie2times said:

I grew up in the Detroit area and desperately wanted to go to the Lions and Bills thanksgiving game in 1994. My old man basically had me feeling like it was locked up. My excitement was at a frenzy the day before only for him to tell me that night that the plans didn't work out and he wasn't able to get tickets. I cried, moped, and complained basically until we had to leave for Thanksgiving that morning. We started driving to my grandmas and it was taking longer than I had thought. About the same time he looks over and says, you excited to see Kelly in person? I about lost it. I think I started crying. He was messing with me the whole time. Should have known better, he pulled a similar stunt when I asked to see Jordan. He's been gone a long time now but that is a memory I will always be very thankful for.   

Awesome!  I drove up from Columbus to that game as well. 

Bills lost. Lions ran a flea-flicker for a TD on the second play of the game.  Cool to see Sanders run though.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Awesome!  I drove up from Columbus to that game as well. 

Bills lost. Lions ran a flea-flicker for a TD on the second play of the game.  Cool to see Sanders run though.  

Great memory! Then we had Jimbos TD run which I’m pretty sure started the year prior 😂

8 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

My son has been playing NFL Flag Football for four years. They have four seasons a year, so this will be his 16th, and last season, as he's entering high school in the Fall. He's never won a Super Bowl. Today, he plays at 3:00 (PDT). If they win, they'll play in his first Super Bowl at 6:00. They actually give the kids rings.

Wish him luck!

UPDATE:

CHAMPS!

ScreenShot2024-06-16at7_39_46PM.png.cf9114e285f76c7d527692a973e5193d.png

My son was also named Defensive MVP for the season, making TODAY my best Father/Son sports moment, and one helluva great Father's Day!

• Awesome! (+1) 5

My wife and I took my boys up to Buffalo in 2017 and saw the Bills beat the Broncos. It was the game where Von took an ill-advised/questionable penalty late in the game and also where I took the photo that became my 2BD avatar.

The weekend was great, the game was great but what I remember most was the great folks from Buffalo that we came across all weekend and how the whole family embraced it.

Since then we've been rewarded with the Josh years.  Good times.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.