Post your best Father/Son or Daughter sports moments

Comeback game - I remember eating wegmans subs at 9 am, dad drinking beers. By half time we were getting hit with snow balls from oilers fans. We stayed (pretty sure because he couldn’t drive back to Rochester) then we started coming back and we were the ones throwing snow balls. 

Great game great memories. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

By 1973 I had been to numerous Bills, Sabres and Braves games with my father. It dropped off after that, my parents separated, my father moved out, forever, he had a girlfriend.

My life changed. My mother had to go to work. My father eventually had no time for me anymore. I didn’t talk to him for years. 

Time has healed the wounds. He’s still alive and quite well at 87. We talk. The sports memories now don’t seem so long ago and are much fonder.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My best father-sons moment s are I have two and I take them to buffalo from Tampa every ear in September for a game.   They are my most treasured moments.  I’ll never forget the first Tim when Ryan was much younger  (middle son) had been to lots of Bucs games.  He was so jubilant getting revved up from the crowd he couldn’t believe it.  He bursting out happy yelling, “this is amazing”.  The young men in the row behind were throwing him up in the air every first down.  I really appreciated this young men.

I’ll never forget that moment.  They both liked the Bills, but they fell in love with them that day.  Thanks Ethan. For this thread as I just had a tear in my eyes thinking of that date..

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

In 1979, my family moved from West Seneca to New England.  Every year since, my Father makes sure we get to watch several games every year together.

Back then- you rarely saw your team in another market.  My father would drive to nearest bar showing the Bills, snd take me there, so we could watch together.  I was 10.

Every year since then, we go to multiple Bills games.  Since 1979, I have seen most Bills games at Jets. Giants, and Pats, thanks to my Father for making that happen.  We have done many pilgrimages to Buffalo together.

My father is now 77.  We still go to Bills games every year.  My father, brother, and I are  even tighter, thanks to our love for Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

For my dad and I, probably the best times were him coming to watch me race (and win) on the NNY BMX circuit back in the day.

For my daughter and I, one of the best was being on the field before the Kids Day game last season, and the female Ref came over and handed my daughter an NFL referee coin with her name and number.

Edited by yall
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, GoBills! said:

Comeback game - I remember eating wegmans subs at 9 am, dad drinking beers. By half time we were getting hit with snow balls from oilers fans. We stayed (pretty sure because he couldn’t drive back to Rochester) then we started coming back and we were the ones throwing snow balls. 

Great game great memories. 

Wow I had no idea Wegmans subs went back that far!  I was still pretty young during the Super Bowl years so I remember them but through the lens of a kid.  I thought Wegmans subs became a thing during the Flutie years.  

After years of my Dad scraping together the resources to buy season tickets at the Rockpile and then Rich Stadium, I was able to return the favor by flying him out to Southern California and taking him to the Super Bowl at the Rose Bowl in 1992. We had a blast! Now, he’s 91 and was just diagnosed with advanced prostrate cancer. So…. I’m praying 2024 is finally our year. It has to be, right? 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

My first game ever was November 1988, Bills v Jets, they clinched the division on a field goal in OT after Fred Smerlas blocked a GF in the 4th quarter.  The goal posts came down, we lost my Uncle in the frenzy, I'd never seen my dad so happy (giddy really.)

The other contender would be the Bills Raiders AFC championship game (51-3), knowing that they were headed to their first Super Bowl (and would be favorites against the Giants) we were on a high for the entire 3 hour drive home.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

When you're old, you have a lot of them. 

For my oldest son, it was playing in the college Ultimate national championships, and several Ultimate mixed championships (as player/coach).

For my second son, it was his season as the closer on his Little League Team. 

For my daughter, it was the NCAA Division III Basketball Final Four. 

All great moments.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

My best father-sons moment s are I have two and I take them to buffalo from Tampa every ear in September for a game.   They are my most treasured moments.  I’ll never forget the first Tim when Ryan was much younger  (middle son) had been to lots of Bucs games.  He was so jubilant getting revved up from the crowd he couldn’t believe it.  He bursting out happy yelling, “this is amazing”.  The young men in the row behind were throwing him up in the air every first down.  I really appreciated this young men.

I’ll never forget that moment.  They both liked the Bills, but they fell in love with them that day.  Thanks Ethan. For this thread as I just had a tear in my eyes thinking of that date..

As mentioned, I took my oldest to a Bills home game when he turned 16. He had been to a Bills game in Tampa just a few weeks earlier. At the tailgate I asked him how a game in OP compared to a game in Tampa. He struggled to find words to describe what a different creature a Bills home game is. His fandom was cemented. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Augie said:

As mentioned, I took my oldest to a Bills home game when he turned 16. He had been to a Bills game in Tampa just a few weeks earlier. At the tailgate I asked him how a game in OP compared to a game in Tampa. He struggled to find words to describe what a different creature a Bills home game is. His fandom was cemented. 

It is one of the highlights of our year each year.  That’s great.  I wish I knew you were in Tampa as I would’ve been happy to take you out for an adult soda.

Let me know next time Augster.  Us TBD guys need to stick together.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My oldest daughter qualified for the NYS swimming and diving championships in both diving and swimming.  That year she was voted All Greater Rochester.  My younger daughter was All-County in soccer four straight years.   They make me very proud.  Turned out to be successful, great adults. 

• Like (+1) 1

Few cool ones with my dad and now my son:

-First Bills game Bills Bears 2000 where RJ got knocked out and the crowd cheered (yikes lol) my dad took me to it. Threw the ball around the parking lot, he got me nice big Bills gloves and a beanie which I still have and the beanie my oldest wears

-07 Pats SNF first night game and tailgate ever. Game was a trainwreck and the Bills owe me therapy money and anyone else who attended. But the experience was super fun and it was at that cool age where being in college and 20 my dad could loosen up more and have some drinks

-2017 Raiders game my wife and I got him tickets with us. Such a fun game as the hype of the Raiders was high given the playoff year plus Mack was there. BUF torched them and the vibe felt finally different that maybe they would break the drought. He has grown up with the Bills since inception and the Raiders were always a fav of his and mine to hate/like. Hate as they usually were good forever, but they had a charm about them for their bullyish ways and Berman always saying Da Raidas!

-2020 Colts playoff game he had people over and it was the first time watching a playoff game with him as an adult where the Bills were legit good (not lucky to be there or 98 Bills Flutie). Fun celebration after

With my son the 2020 season in general was a blast as he was going from closing in on 2 years old and started to at least understand football meant fun and excitement. He fell in love with the Shout song both Bills/Original and I went to Buffalo for the AFC title as my dad sister and I were going to riverworks to watch the game. Pretty sure I played the Shout Song 45 times as my son kept asking for it (side note it ended up 1 played that year in my itunes). Bummer we lost to KC but the whole day was a blast

-2021 preseason we took my son who was nearly 3 and my mom for the packers. Super awesome moment just having him there. Only stayed the first half but he loved it. in 2022 my dad came for the colts preseason game and the four of us had a blast. By that point my son fully understood a lot more and wanted to see Billy the Buffalo which made him very happy haha

Can't wait as this year we have four tickets to Bills Bears preseason and both my sons are going (3 & 5) with my wife and I. Won't take them to a regular season game until probably 10-11 which is when I went though as anything before feels like too much haha

• Like (+1) 1

Going to the Bills/Raiders pre season game in 73 the year the Stadium opened with my Dad and my Uncles I was 5 but I felt like one of the "guys"... never will forget walking into this brand new sparkling stadium and being amazed

• Like (+1) 2

1) My daughters entire, including NCAA, basketball career.

10) Numerous occasions at Bills training camp at SJF when all the kids were so excited to get a players autograph and things like wristbands and shoes from the players.  Their excitement level was off the charts.

11) Taking my oldest son to a Bills game when he was about 10. Hanging out at the pinto tailgate.  He saw someone do a bowling ball shot, stagger slowly behind the pinto to a guardrail (it was parking lot 1 days) puke his guts out, and proceeded to go drink more.  He asked me questions and it was an amazing teachable moment that I believe paid off later in his life.

12) My kids loving life at the pinto tailgate on many occasions.  The people there, management, staff, and general public, were always very welcoming to kids and went out of their way to make sure they had a great time.

On 6/16/2024 at 1:01 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Tried to expose my daughter to sports early. Signed her up for soccer. Went to a game and watched her doing cartwheels while playing goalie, oblivious to the game. It's then I realized sports weren't going to be her thing.

Maybe gymnastics was her sport :)

In December my daughter won the  small college rugby national title at St. Bonaventure.

As a freshman who just learned the sport last year.  And after her high school basketball career was wrecked by chronic illness.

Plus she made the game winning play. No Super Bowl will ever compare.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.