Post your best Father/Son or Daughter sports moments

I have a few..I've posted some before

First was flying my 10 and 9 year old sons on a red eye to Chicago from Portland to see the Bills Bears OT win. 

Second was attending Seahawks 49ers NFC Championship game

Third was flying cross country to watch Bills destroy the Patriots in the second coldest Bills game.

Last and the best was watching my son as a Freshman come from behind and win his team's 4x400 HS division championship! 

• Like (+1) 8

The first thing that comes to mind is taking both boys to a Bills home game when they turned 16.  It was a special father/son trip to see their first game in Buffalo. The way other fans opened up to us and begged us to attend their tailgates showed both my sons what it’s like to be a Bills fan. It was bigger than life, much like when my father first took me thru the gates at the Rockpile. You never forget it. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

my first NFL game was the  first time ever in Buffalo  Monday Night Football game against  Kansas City.

It is special b because it was the only time I ever attended a game with my Mother. She like me became a staunch fan.

Then upon her last days there we were in the nursing home on a Monday night watching NFL football with Pontillos pizza and wings. She passes away a week later

I'm a mushball when it comes to stuff like this.For sure this thread is gonna make me cry it I a LOCK

🙂

• Awesome! (+1) 6

Going with my dad to the comeback game. His buddies left at half and he wanted to as well. I started crying and said we aren’t leaving. His buddies laughed at him on way out. By the end of the game he was almost hurting me with how many hugs he was giving me lol. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Literally was about to start this thread as I wait for my son ( who’s working all day as a med scribe/college grad living here while applying to Med school) to take a shower before I finish pressure washing the last bit of house before chilling in the pool. He and I celebrated last Sunday. Luckiest Guy Ever, right here.

These are also repeats:

My first game was Sept.7,1980.

My father had been bugging nine year old me about going to a Bills game. He was a pretty mean ( verbally) drunk and I had a typical blue collar rough upbringing. He and I never did anything together but even as a kid I could hear the plaintiveness in his voice as he kept asking me over the course of a few months. I finally said yes just to get him to stop asking as it meant nothing to me.

We road a bus from Transit Hill plaza to the game. I assume this was a stipulation from my Mom as she didn’t want him driving. 
    He was a different guy, actually a patient Dad, who was equally excited and nice. 
    We sat seconds row, upper corner, the old row N( crazy how i remember that)

Well, that was the Bills beating the Fins for the first time in a decade game. The old man took the time to explain the game to me and never pricked on me once. The place obviously was in meltdown mode from the start that built into a crescendo that saw the field stormed and goal post torn down.

Nine year old me was HOOKED!!!!

He took me to every game those two years that Knox was coach. I only missed the Steelers/Bradshaw 15 passing yards game with a fever.

The old man will be dead 40 years this October. In the meantime, I married my best friend and we had one amazing child, my son.

I tried my damndest not to put him down or mess him up. I was tougher than most Dad’s I know but always as a lesson, spoken like an adult with another adult, even when he was a toddler.

Happy Father’s Day and Peace to all of you.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Going with my dad to the comeback game. His buddies left at half and he wanted to as well. I started crying and said we aren’t leaving. His buddies laughed at him on way out. By the end of the game he was almost hurting me with how many hugs he was giving me lol. 

That's a great comeback game story.  

• Like (+1) 3

The best father son sports moments I ever had were watching my own son play ball. As much as I love the Bills it's not even close to how I felt watching my son play. He graduated this year. I'd give anything to go back and watch him some more. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

One of my top moments was when Steve Tasker was inducted to the Dodge City Community College Hall of Fame, and he asked my Dad who had been one of his teachers at that college to be his presenter and introduce him that evening. I took my son to that ceremony as well, so it was a really cool moment to be there to see my Dad standing up there with Steve, and having my son also there to witness the occasion. Later that Fall, Steve made it possible for us to go to our first Bills home game ever, and to see my son's look on his face in the stands is something that I'll never forget.....and we beat the Jets, so that was a plus.....Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 3

I remember my third daughter being born during super bowl 28. So glad I missed the game for such a special moment.

When I got home from the hospital my wife asked how the game went, I pretended to be disappinted and luckily she didn't suspect a thing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Taking my dad and my two sons who were around 12 or 13 yrs old at the time to Carolina at Buffalo game, it ended up being maybe EJ’s signature game with the game winning drive and TD to Stevie Johnson late if I remember correctly.

I bought my sons each an EJ Florida state jersey to wear to the game, as soon as they opened the stadium we went inside, it was my sons first game and I kind of wanted them to soak in the stadium for the first time like I had and also wanted to avoid the crush of people when arriving later.

We are sitting in our seats and the bowl only has a couple thousand people sprinkled about at this early time when all of a sudden I’m startled when 2 large black hands land on my sons shoulders and I immediately whip around and behind us is this big dude with a giant smile “ so sorry to scare ya “ he says and laughs, he goes on to compliment my son’s jersey’s and thank us for supporting his son EJ. 

What a cool moment for my boys , it was only a short 3 min interaction where he promised that his son was going to work hard to be great, and for EJ to then lead a late game winning drive was very cool.

It didn’t work out for EJ in the long run but it was a very memorable moment for 3 generations of fathers and sons, and it really propelled my boys fandom.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Bills related - after my brother and I left for college and the Buffalo area, we've gone back every year since late 80's to take my dad to a game around his bday the beginning of October.  Once our sons were 6-7 yrs old we started taking them also - been 3 generations for 20 yrs now.  My Dad's 90 now and we all look forward to it every year (even after living through some of the worst games in Bills history - including the 6-3 Cleveland game)

For the proud Dad brag :) - My kids played a bunch of sports growing up.  For my son one of the coolest memories I have was from a little league all-star game - he was playing shortstop and it was the bottom of the 9th and there were men on base with two outs.  Batter hits a line drive that went off the 2nd baseman's glove and pops up in the air, and out of nowhere my son runs full sprint and dives flat out and catches it to end the game.  It was one of the best plays I've ever seen.  Kids go nuts and carry him off the field.

For my daughter - she played three sports in HS at a high level that all require different skills with a ball (volleyball, basketball, and lacrosse) - was a conference all-star in basketball and lacrosse, and earned 10 varsity letters altogether.  This is in an area where almost all kids specialize in one sport from an early age, at a HS that routinely was one of the best sports programs in the state, winning multiple state championships every year in different sports - where it was difficult in most cases to even make a team.  It was such a unique thing around here to be a high caliber 3 sport athlete the Raleigh paper did a feature article on her (she was also an honor student).  I played 3 sports in HS and always thought it was very cool she did that - especially given how much more rare and difficult it was for her vs my experience.

• Awesome! (+1) 3

One I remember vividly was going to the fandemonium Bills-Jets game in 1988 when they won the AFC East in overtime, and everybody stormed the field.

My dad absolutely hated traffic, so when the Jets lined up for the game winning FG in regulation, he grabbed me and headed to the top of the aisle, ready to hightail it out of there if it was good. As we all know, Smerlas blocked the kick, sending it to OT. I grabbed my dad and we ran back to our seats to witness the rest.

Great day all around.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Lost my Dad as a youngster. I remember being at the Hail Mary game with him against the Patriots in 1981. That was the last game we attended. The Bills won and we were in the parking lot with most everyone else when Hooks caught the deflection to win it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

So, I’m walking around Costco with my wife this morning when my phone rings. The caller ID says something it hasn’t said in more than 6 years, my son is calling. The son who passed away in 2018. I froze, and rushed over to show my wife the caller ID. Now we are both frozen. I’m almost confused about what to do, but I answered. Some lady now has his old phone number and was looking for a guy named Leo. 

Or, Michael just wanted me to hear from him on Father’s Day. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

1 hour ago, muppy said:

my first NFL game was the  first time ever in Buffalo  Monday Night Football game against  Kansas City.

It is special b because it was the only time I ever attended a game with my Mother. She like me became a staunch fan.

Then upon her last days there we were in the nursing home on a Monday night watching NFL football with Pontillos pizza and wings. She passes away a week later

I'm a mushball when it comes to stuff like this.For sure this thread is gonna make me cry it I a LOCK

🙂

My Dad took me to this game -I was seen on tv as the sideline camera on a moving cart was coming towards me and I stood up before anyone else. Friends from Ohio contacted me the next day to tell me they saw me. Fast forward to the early 90’s, I took my young -at the time- son to many games with his favorite being a Home playoff game vs the Chiefs where Andre Reed scored on 2 long TD passes.

• Like (+1) 3

I lost my Dad in 2006 but one of my favorite memories was sharing wine and Monday Night Football with him one evening.  I was visiting for the holidays.  My Dad was hard to buy for, so that Christmas I bought a nice set of two bottles of French wine in a nice wooden case.  The Monday after Christmas that year, Green Bay was playing.  I can't even recall who they were playing, but I recall it was a good game.  Mom was watching her sitcoms in their bedroom.  Dad went out into the kitchen and came in with the bottle of white wine and two wine glasses.  We enjoyed the wine and the game.  Then...Dad went back into the kitchen and brought in the bottle of red.  So...we killed two bottles of wine (albeit I do believe Mom got a glass) watching and enjoying that game.  It was one of my fondest memories.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Tried to expose my daughter to sports early. Signed her up for soccer. Went to a game and watched her doing cartwheels while playing goalie, oblivious to the game. It's then I realized sports weren't going to be her thing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.