Dak wants 60 million a year

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/some-nfl-owners-discussing-potential-qb-salary-cap-in-wake-of-escalating-market-per-report/

Probably could be it's own thread, but thought to just put it here. 

Salary cap for QBs? Unlikely, but it's being discussed.

I'm thinking I don't like the idea. If GMs want to destroy their rosters with 1 player, let 'em do it. Problem is, it has a trickle effect for other teams facing QB dilemmas. 

10 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/some-nfl-owners-discussing-potential-qb-salary-cap-in-wake-of-escalating-market-per-report/

I'm thinking I don't like the idea. If GMs want to destroy their rosters with 1 player, let 'em do it. Problem is, it has a trickle effect for other teams facing QB dilemmas. 

It's owners like Mike Brown that are driving this discussion. He and Mark Davis don't have the cash on hand to play the accounting tricks that the Bills play yearly with Josh's contract to free up cap space.

I could see a locked in percentage of the salary cap for QB’s.  Just throwing numbers out here….  Say if you’re a top five player you’ll get 23% of the cap.  Next tier down, 21%.  Cap goes up every year, so does your pay.   If Dak is locked on $60m per year and won’t budge what options does Dallas have?  Find another team with lots of cap space and hope to get something for him?

Before you say “who cares about Dallas”?  In a couple of years when Josh’s contract comes up he’ll hopefully still be one of the top five QB’s.   Will the top rate be $75-80m per year then?  (Or higher?)

As long as it’s other teams over a barrel it’s funny.  I don’t think we’ll be laughing when it’s our turn.

Dallas doesn’t really have any other options kind of like Baltimore w/ Lamar. Who else are they going to put in his place ? If they draft a QB then it’s going to be a waste of all the other talent on the roster while they wait for them to develop. As much as Dak is a huge let down come playoff time, you pay the guy and hope eventually they can put it all together when it matters. I think coaching is the real issue w/ the Cowboys. 

On 6/22/2024 at 3:13 PM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Dallas doesn’t really have any other options kind of like Baltimore w/ Lamar. Who else are they going to put in his place ? If they draft a QB then it’s going to be a waste of all the other talent on the roster while they wait for them to develop. As much as Dak is a huge let down come playoff time, you pay the guy and hope eventually they can put it all together when it matters. I think coaching is the real issue w/ the Cowboys. 

Ironically Ty Dunne has an article or something that is stating McCarthy is fed up with Jerry Jones.  People are all riled up down here about it this morning apparently.

Ty Dunne riling up another fanbase for a change is nice.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I am surprised Jones brought McCarthy back after that 48-32 home blowout loss to the Packers in last year's playoff game. McCarthy's seat is definitely hot this year. No way he survives if the Cowboys have a disappointing 2024 season. 

43 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I am surprised Jones brought McCarthy back after that 48-32 home blowout loss to the Packers in last year's playoff game. McCarthy's seat is definitely hot this year. No way he survives if the Cowboys have a disappointing 2024 season. 

When they have a disappointing season😁

and hopefully it’s so disappointing they have a rush of talent continue to leave and are banished to mediocrity for a few decades-are are stuck paying Dak $60m for another 5 years.  

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/20/2024 at 10:30 AM, Fleezoid said:

They should have a cap,it's gotten out of hand.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Not if they are not willing to pay him that

Then he'll hit the open market, they'll be left in limbo at QB, and they'll have to eat a hefty cap charge next year as well because of it. Then they still have to worry about CeeDee Lamb and Parsons. They created this situation, and Dak does hold all the power here despite how all of us feel about him as a QB. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, H2o said:

Then he'll hit the open market, they'll be left in limbo at QB, and they'll have to eat a hefty cap charge next year as well because of it. Then they still have to worry about CeeDee Lamb and Parsons. They created this situation, and Dak does hold all the power here despite how all of us feel about him as a QB. 

Agree with all of that...sometimes you have to make hard decisions.  In this case, what is the best decision for the Cowboys, it is not all that clear to me....

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Agree with all of that...sometimes you have to make hard decisions.  In this case, what is the best decision for the Cowboys, it is not all that clear to me....

I think Jones is hoping Trey Lance figures out how to play QB. The talent is no doubt there, but if Shanny can’t make him an effective QB, I’m not sure who can 

On 6/22/2024 at 4:13 PM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Do you think Cooper Rush is really much below the level of Dak Prescott?

For whatever reason (because he plays for the Cowboys?) the narrative with Prescott has always been bigger then his ability on the field.  And to a lesser degree with Ezekiel Elliott as well.   

It would be quite a statement by Jerry to not give Prescott a new extension.  Some other team wants to pay him big bucks, its on them.  

On 6/24/2024 at 11:06 AM, Behindenemylines said:

When they have a disappointing season😁

and hopefully it’s so disappointing they have a rush of talent continue to leave and are banished to mediocrity for a few decades-are are stuck paying Dak $60m for another 5 years.  

Amen to that !!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/24/2024 at 11:06 AM, MikePJ76 said:

Ironically Ty Dunne has an article or something that is stating McCarthy is fed up with Jerry Jones.  People are all riled up down here about it this morning apparently.

Ty Dunne riling up another fanbase for a change is nice.

McCarthy being “Fed up” is funny in so many ways.  Reason 1:  He’s a sorry ass coach that should be nothing but grateful for still having a job.  2. He is definitely well fed.  3.  Jerry’s meddling may make him look better than he should. 

17 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Do you think Cooper Rush is really much below the level of Dak Prescott?

For whatever reason (because he plays for the Cowboys?) the narrative with Prescott has always been bigger then his ability on the field.  And to a lesser degree with Ezekiel Elliott as well.   

It would be quite a statement by Jerry to not give Prescott a new extension.  Some other team wants to pay him big bucks, its on them.  

Cooper Rush would’ve got paid if he was anything decent. He’s a good game manager, that’s about it. 

The dude is a 3rd tier QB, maybe a 2nd tier if he ever wins anything.......you can't, as a franchise, justify paying a 3rd tier QB that kind of money.

sorry......not sorry.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.