1 on 1 with Brandon Beane: Inside the Buffalo Bills GM's Master Plan (Dunne article, paywall)

Logic

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

you keep repeating this (bolded) as fact, yet you offer nothing at all to support that conclusion.

Why would you think any current player is going to bad mouth his coach while he's still on the roster?  That's your argument?  

Are you saying the guys who spoke at length with him to describe what their experience was in Buffalo are lying?  Because they are "disgruntled"? They could have simply said nothing or "I have nothing but good memories of my time spent in buffalo"....rather than 25 of them individually painting a similar picture.

It isn’t hard to understand.   He sought out comments from people who left under bad circumstances, gave them them the security of anonymity, and then used comments and info which made McDermott appear to be a micromanaging tyrant that everyone was miserable working for.

And it isn’t uncommon for current players or coaches to express discontent with a coach/front office.  It usually happens when a lot are unhappy - which Dunne essentially suggested in his reporting.  

To your point, we might not know his “25 sources” were disgruntled.  We also don’t know if they are reliable.  You seem to take issue with me suggesting the former but being anonymous sources, you don’t have any evidence than I do.  

Like I said, the scenario he presented did not appear to be completely accurate inside the walls of One Bills Drive.   I’m not addressing the article as complete fiction.  I’m also not taking them as 100% truth like you.  I think there was an agenda here and to blindly believe this article as fact without considering the points we’ve brought up is foolhardy.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I feel like there's quite the overreaction from some about the McDermott article being a hit piece. Sounds to me like the dude just said something pretty dumb during a meeting and regretted it and it was later reported about by a sportswriter.

Although, McD is the same fella that cornered Matthew Fairburn and got an little spicy with him over some things he wrote. I think they felt like he was sharing a bit too much from practices or something. 

I actually kinda know Tyler thru some different people and he's a solid dude just trying to create some solid pieces in a world saturated with clickbait and lazy reporting. I think people may also forget that Tyler was on the Bills beat for a while so they know him and someone like Beane doesn't seem to have much of an issue speaking with just about anyone. 

All that said, lemme know when we got the workaround for the article lol. 

Dunne graded McD an "F."  It's clear he sees McD as a failure and found some disgruntled ex-employees to support his premise.  The things is, we don't know the entirety of what the disgruntled exes said.  Their accounts may have been more balanced that what appeared in print.  Dunne may have selected the choicest, most damning quotes for print with a light sprinkle of positive remarks thrown in to appear that he was fair and balanced when he wasn't.  I don't trust the man.  

There's a saying in India, "When a pickpocket walks down the street, all he sees is pockets."  Scientists call this 'confirmation bias.'  I think Dunne had a point of view in mind when he began the article and actively sought out supporting quotes.  

The players grade McD an "A."   They're a 1000x more credible source.  Andy Reid and Bill Cowher (both HOF, SB winning coaches), in published quotes, seem to agree with that grade.

Who are you going to believe?  

• Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Dunne graded McD an "F."  It's clear he sees McD as a failure and found some disgruntled ex-employees to support his premise.  The things is, we don't know the entirety of what the disgruntled exes said.  Their accounts may have been more balanced that what appeared in print.  Dunne may have selected the choicest, most damning quotes for print with a light sprinkle of positive remarks thrown in to appear that he was fair and balanced when he wasn't.  I don't trust the man.  

There's a saying in India, "When a pickpocket walks down the street, all he sees is pockets."  Scientists call this 'confirmation bias.'  I think Dunne had a point of view in mind when he began the article and actively sought out supporting quotes.  

The players grade McD an "A."   They're a 1000x more credible source.  Andy Reid and Bill Cowher (both HOF, SB winning coaches), in published quotes, seem to agree with that grade.

And THIS is the problem that I had with the article  Fans defending Dunne repeated “25 sources” as though it was some kind of religious mantra without taking account who those 25 were. 

Reading Dunne’s article left one with the impression that McDermott was an aloof, arrogant, micromanager and players were miserable.  If that’s the case why would McDermott get such high marks both publicly and privately?  It’s the complete opposite to how McDermott was presented.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

It isn’t hard to understand.   He sought out comments from people who left under bad circumstances, gave them them the security of anonymity, and then used comments and info which made McDermott appear to be a micromanaging tyrant that everyone was miserable working for.

And it isn’t uncommon for current players or coaches to express discontent with a coach/front office.  It usually happens when a lot are unhappy - which Dunne essentially suggested in his reporting.  

To your point, we might not know his “25 sources” were disgruntled.  We also don’t know if they are reliable.  You seem to take issue with me suggesting the former but being anonymous sources, you don’t have any evidence than I do.  

Like I said, the scenario he presented did not appear to be completely accurate inside the walls of One Bills Drive.   I’m not addressing the article as complete fiction.  I’m also not taking them as 100% truth like you.  I think there was an agenda here and to blindly believe this article as fact without considering the points we’ve brought up is foolhardy.  

I'm ready to agree with you, again, if you could offer anything at all to back your claim as fact that his sources were not "reliable".

Or that he only sought out comments from those who left under bad circumstances.

Or that he specifically left out any comments/quotes that were contrary to his "agenda".  

Point to anyone who said they were misquoted.  Or left out of the article.  

You are trying to convince me of something you simply want me to agree is true because you say it is.  They  "evidence" we all have is the published article, with quotes, itself.  The content wasn't expressly or in detail disputed by Beane and McD at the time.  

So yeah, that's what I got.  I'll ask again, what do you have, other than your own bias that you don't want any of this to be true.   Tepid calls of "hit piece" by current players (who?) doesn't help you.  The fact that both McD and Beane came to Dunne separately, after the season, instead of just letting an old story pass without further comment, argues against your claim.  Dunne's just one guy writing articles behind a paywall---why would they go to him and essentially bring that article back to life if it was all complete nonsense?  That wouldn't be very bright, would it?

33 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

And THIS is the problem that I had with the article  Fans defending Dunne repeated “25 sources” as though it was some kind of religious mantra without taking account who those 25 were. 

Reading Dunne’s article left one with the impression that McDermott was an aloof, arrogant, micromanager and players were miserable.  If that’s the case why would McDermott get such high marks both publicly and privately?  It’s the complete opposite to how McDermott was presented.

That has been taken into account repeatedly.  

• Like (+1) 1

It’s become tiring trying to predict when Beane will take the next steps to make this team successful. He needs to turn things around in the playoffs. I’m hoping this year, but not expecting much improvement from this regime. 

Just now, Trev said:

It’s become tiring trying to predict when Beane will take the next steps to make this team successful. He needs to turn things around in the playoffs. I’m hoping this year, but not expecting much improvement from this regime. 

How does the discrepancy between regular season and postseason results fall on the GM exactly?

I'm ready to agree with you, again, if you could offer anything at all to back your claim as fact that his sources were not "reliable".

Or that he only sought out comments from those who left under bad circumstances.

Or that he specifically left out any comments/quotes that were contrary to his "agenda".  

You are trying to convince me of something you simply want me to agree is true because you say it is.  They  "evidence" we all have is the published article, with quotes, itself.  The content wasn't expressly or in detail disputed by Beane and McD at the time.  

So yeah, that's what I got.  I'll ask again, what do you have, other than your own bias that you don't want any of this to be true.   Tepid calls of "hit piece" by current players (who?) doesn't help you.  The fact that both McD and Beane came to Dunne separately, after the season, instead of just letting an old story pass without further comment, argues against your claim.  Dunne's just one guy writing articles behind a paywall---why would they go to him and essentially bring that article back to life if it was all complete nonsense?  That wouldn't be very bright, would it?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Hmmmm… I wonder why one of the 20 some anonymous sources wouldn’t come forward and complained about being misquoted!?!?!?

So much for your Perry Mason moment….

The only people who were identified were the ones that had positive things to say like Nyheim Hines, Isaiah McKenzie, Lorenzo Alexander and Pat DiMarco.  Maybe they should have complained?

The article was called “The Sean McDermott Problem” and seemed to suggest the head coach was toxic.  Everything that happened after, would seem to suggest that narrative was embellished.

As far as Beane and McDermott meeting with Dunne, we have no idea what transpired in that meeting.  You make it sound like McDermott went to Dunne and apologized profusely.  It’s entirely possible that he approached him to express some things that were incorrect in the article and the two ended up coming to an understand like most adults do.  I don’t see these developments as evidence that verified the article 

But hey - 25 sources 🤣 

P

Is this why you said in a previous message that Beane reached out to Dunne because he knew people his organization were willing to talk?

They weren’t people in his organization… they were former Bills.  You didn’t take this into account when you were repeating your mantra.  

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

My guy Tyler Dunne! Excited to read this. Anyone who's willing to be a McD Truther is cool by me. 

I like his work normally.  Just felt there were a lot of issues with the McDermott story which have been discussed quite a bit in this thread.

5 hours ago, JohnNord said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Hmmmm… I wonder why one of the 20 some anonymous sources wouldn’t come forward and complained about being misquoted!?!?!?

So much for your Perry Mason moment….

The only people who were identified were the ones that had positive things to say like Nyheim Hines, Isaiah McKenzie, Lorenzo Alexander and Pat DiMarco.  Maybe they should have complained?

The article was called “The Sean McDermott Problem” and seemed to suggest the head coach was toxic.  Everything that happened after, would seem to suggest that narrative was embellished.

As far as Beane and McDermott meeting with Dunne, we have no idea what transpired in that meeting.  You make it sound like McDermott went to Dunne and apologized profusely.  It’s entirely possible that he approached him to express some things that were incorrect in the article and the two ended up coming to an understand like most adults do.  I don’t see these developments as evidence that verified the article 

But hey - 25 sources 🤣 

Is this why you said in a previous message that Beane reached out to Dunne because he knew people his organization were willing to talk?

They weren’t people in his organization… they were former Bills.  You didn’t take this into account when you were repeating your mantra.  

myself and others have already mentioned/discussed that they were former employees and players.  Scroll up, catch up and move on.

But, to help you further:

Since Beane has always churned the staff in that building, obviously it’s in his best interest to try and shape the narrative of the next wave who will be gone a year from now.  It should seem obvious to you that this is in fact the ONLY reason a guy in Beanes position would even bother to reach out to this one column writer.  If he wasn’t worried about a “hit piece” that was essentially dead and forgotten or that his former employees are eager to spill about McD out the door….then he would never bother with Dunne again. He would just keep ignore and move on.  

Suggesting otherwise makes absolutely no sense.  Clearly, Beane does NOT want to read another article like this again.  

this is easy

9 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Hello.  Anonymous sources can't be vetted in any of these ways.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 6/16/2024 at 11:03 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

No.

@Beck Water just made that up.

He attempted to push Williams.

The narrative is to never cite Allen for doing stupid things.   He can be great and need to have his carelessness reigned in at the same time.   The stupidity can be reigned in by giving him more weapons.  

You told me he hurt his shoulder shoving Leonard Williams... that happened in the 3rd Quarter. 

So, then what was this here that happened in the 2nd Quarter? 

And if you're saying he didn't go "shoulder first" then what is this?

Should start at the 58 second mark. 

8 hours ago, Beck Water said:

That was good!

Much of journalism (investigative in particular) involves anonymous sourcing, as you know.  The fact that we don't know who he spoke to in particular has nothing to do with speculating  that he only sought out quotes that supported his theory.  They were "vetted" by the guy who wrote the article--he obviously knows who they are and what positions they held in the organization.  Simply saying he left out quotes or made up quotes or only sought out disgruntled former employees to prop up his hate for McD is your opinion (and that of the other I was responding to), speculation without any offered proof--only a stated distaste for the author and his attack on the HC.   That's not very persuasive.....

If your TED Talk included such claims, with no evidence to back up such an attack on the piece, then I don't imagine you would have many paying attendees.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I do t believe anyone in India anymore.  Not since the car warranty fiasco 

Edited by TBBills Fan
  • Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I don't care at all about "disgruntled ex-players." As long as all our current players are gruntled, I think we're good.

Big reason for the roster turnover; new players know he’s been a winning coach and will make their own opinions about the guy. McD has learned from his past and hopefully is a better coach moving forward.

19 hours ago, Rico said:

Girls from Attica? :lol:

They riffed on that movie on MST3K...I think. 🤔 

10 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Eventually, Dunne will pull a deathbed confession, and reveal who his Deep Throat(s) were. 😁

42 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Eventually, Dunne will pull a deathbed confession, and reveal who his Deep Throat(s) were. 😁

Given the timing (3 weeks after Dorsey was "relieved of his duties" as OC) and the comments from some other journalists with a lot of internal access to the Bills (John Wawrow: "former employee has issues with former boss" "I'm gonna sit this one out"), I don't think we need a deathbed confession to deduce that one of the juicest interviewees was Dorsey.

32 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Given the timing (3 weeks after Dorsey was "relieved of his duties" as OC) and the comments from some other journalists with a lot of internal access to the Bills (John Wawrow: "former employee has issues with former boss" "I'm gonna sit this one out"), I don't think we need a deathbed confession to deduce that one of the juicest interviewees was Dorsey.

It was almost certainly Chad Hall and not Dorsey

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.