1 on 1 with Brandon Beane: Inside the Buffalo Bills GM's Master Plan (Dunne article, paywall)

Logic

6 hours ago, transient said:

Interesting that Beane sat down with him given the hit piece on McDermott last season. Regardless of what your opinion on the article was in terms of justified or not, it caused McDermott some embarrassment that he had to publicly answer for. Now his GM is giving the author more access…

it was never a “hit piece”—it was a heavily sourced 20,000 word article that nobody in the Bills FO—Beane or McD refuted in public or private. 

in fact after the season, Beane reached out to Dunne to get together and talk.  Hence this article.  

Dunne on WFAN Rochester now describing how this all went down.  Beane was very open with him—especially the Diggs problem.  Diggs didnt want to a Bill any more and for obvious reasons, the Bills didn’t want him around—even if it left a big hole in the roster and cost 31 million.

The “hit piece” cry from this board didn’t alter reality, as much as those whining about wish it did 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

it was never a “hit piece”—it was a heavily sourced 20,000 word article that nobody in the Bills FO—Beane or McD refuted in public or private. 

in fact after the season, Beane reached out to Dunne to get together and talk.  Hence this article.  

Dunne on WFAN Rochester now describing how this all went down.  Beane was very open with him—especially the Diggs problem.  Diggs didnt want to a Bill any more and for obvious reasons, the Bills didn’t want him around—even if it left a big hole in the roster and cost 31 million.

The “hit piece” cry from this board didn’t alter reality, as much as those whining about wish it did 

can you recap that interview

45 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Whether I reference it as the "hit piece," which is immediately recognized, or as the heavily sourced 20,000 word article that nobody in the Bills FO refuted, it doesn't change the point of my post. After the fallout from the article for McDermott, it's interesting that Beane sat down with Dunne and provided him more access.

Edited by transient
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, transient said:

Interesting that Beane sat down with him given the hit piece on McDermott last season. Regardless of what your opinion on the article was in terms of justified or not, it caused McDermott some embarrassment that he had to publicly answer for. Now his GM is giving the author more access…

Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer. If Dunne had regular face time with Mclapperson does that article ever get written? Likely not. 

1 hour ago, Logic said:

So um...

Has anyone cracked this thing yet?

I want to hear what ol' Beaner has to say.

https://12ft.io/

paste the link 

Edited by Mikie2times

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So the Bills are back to 2022 rules with Josh Allen?   :rolleyes:

Run all you want Josh!   Use that LB mentality!

Then next year they will return to 2021 and 2023 "we want you to play smarter" rules that lead to roughly .500 starts thru 2/3 of the season.

Just get the guy some f#cking weapons so he can do it from the pocket, Beane.:doh:

While I don't disagree with the concept of getting him better weapons, I do disagree with the idea of making Josh a pocket QB.

Josh is not a pocket QB. His accuracy improved between College and the Pro's, against the odds. But he's not a Manning, Brady, Rodgers type. If you take his ability to get first downs with his legs away, you're getting a much lesser QB. 

I think that showed in the first half of the season. McDermott was banging it into his skull to run less and not risk injury. And the results were mixed. It wasn't until later in the season and into the Playoffs when he put that out of his head that we started going on a run.

• Agree 1

Tyler Dunn = no thanks

He doesn’t even know the meaning of the word “vanquishing” but he uses it in the mistaken belief it makes him seem smart.

Edited by Dr. K
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

So um...

Has anyone cracked this thing yet?

I want to hear what ol' Beaner has to say.

Nothing past the preview is in the source so you aren't going to be able to read it unless someone copy/pastes it here.

"To get his ’06 Indianapolis Colts over the hump, Hall of Fame GM Bill Polian told us he started to weigh playoff performance on a critical curve. Beane is doing the same"

Another reason why Diggs was moved.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, transient said:

not only giving this guy access, but access to an entity the Bills team do not need AT ALL. 

If some dork at buffalo news wipes a booger on mcd's desk, its still the Buffalo News, in Buffalo.  you could shut the writer out, but you cant shut them out completely.

why are you not only giving this guy an interview, but youre helping this guy peddle an exclusive site/article they cant get anywhere else.  im not big on burning bridges, but this bridge, river, boat, and any fish in it should be napalmed. 

3 hours ago, Logic said:

I agree with the notion that the Bills need to do a better job of surrounding Josh with offensive talent and making his life easier, as I have stated here many times and in many ways this offseason.

But I think that even IF they do that, he's still always gonna take off and run through a linebacker sometimes. He likes it. It loosens him up and gets him out of his own head and gets his competitive juices flowing. I'm not saying I think that's smart or good long term planning on his part or anything like that -- and it's not really for me to say. I'm just saying that even in a hypothetical world where the Bills surround Josh Allen with the best offensive cast imaginable, I don't think he's ever gonna stop doing the Superman/tank hurdle-and-smash routine sometimes. It's just who he is. It's just how he's wired.

You've meandered your goal posts here.   

It's important to understand that the stupidity isn't excusable because people with common sense aren't going to be satisfied with either approach to building around Josh Allen.

There is a right way.

That will satisfy those who understand that you can't expect to run your QB 100-120 times per season........then ramp it up more in the postseason.......and have him give you 15+ years of high quality football.

It's not been done.   

Your second paragraph hyperbolizes the expectation of those with common sense.

Of course he is going to run sometimes.   50-75 runs over the course of a regular season is in the typical Mahomes/Elway range for a mobile passer that has worked in the last 40 years.   That's plenty.   That will be plenty of contact to scratch that itch if he has receivers open and making plays.    There is no reason to believe otherwise.  

He's not trending higher in carries since 2020 because he is getting wilder........he's doing it because it's needed with this increasingly unimpressive cast around him.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

While I don't disagree with the concept of getting him better weapons, I do disagree with the idea of making Josh a pocket QB.

Josh is not a pocket QB. His accuracy improved between College and the Pro's, against the odds. But he's not a Manning, Brady, Rodgers type. If you take his ability to get first downs with his legs away, you're getting a much lesser QB. 

I think that showed in the first half of the season. McDermott was banging it into his skull to run less and not risk injury. And the results were mixed. It wasn't until later in the season and into the Playoffs when he put that out of his head that we started going on a run.

Is Patrick Mahomes just a "pocket QB"? 

Tom Brady and Peyton Manning clearly aren't the comps.   Nobody is saying that.   Why hyperbolize?  It doesn't advance the argument.

Allen doesn't have to be a statue in the pocket to NOT run the ball 9-10 times per game like he did down the stretch  last season.

Like I said........Mahomes is a good comp.   Elway is an example if you want to go back.   50-75 rushes per year should be enough for a QB of Allen's type.

But if you want to think he's not in Mahomes category as a passer we will have to agree to disagree.

• Like (+1) 2

Dunne did an interview with Jeremy on WGR where he talks about this interview with Beane and gives a decent summary of the article.

https://omny.fm/shows/howard-and-jeremy/tyler-dunne-talks-about-his-sit-down-with-brandon

i’d still like to read the actual article but I’m not paying Dunne. lol

if anyone finds another bills related website where this article has been copied + pasted please let me know!

the site uses a hard paywall so none of the usual methods are going to work. I don’t know of any way around a hard pay wall. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, transient said:

Beane was the angriest and most outspoken person over the article also. Makes you wonder.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Dislike 1

7 hours ago, FireChans said:

I promise the day after the Super Bowl, you will see a whole new FC.

Yes, Josh can get hurt in the pocket. Every QB can get hurt in the pocket. Every player who steps on the field can get hurt. Some can get hurt in warm ups or in training camp.

Does any of that mean that it’s a bad idea to protect your franchise QB’s body and avoid as many hits as possible? Of course not. 

This is the silliest point ever on TBD. 

“why protect Josh from having to run so much when he could get hurt in a car accident on the way to the stadium” type logic. 

FireChans: 

"Josh: “I had to rework my mechanics this off-season because my injuries had me compensating incorrectly and making me a worse player”

Beane: “I want Josh to keep that LB mentality and never change”

2024 off-season in a nutshell. 

Response: points out that Josh was injured in the pocket, not while acting like a linebacker and running downfield hitting people

Adds "I'm not Team All-Josh's-Injuries-Are-In-The-Pocket 'cuz it's not true, and also 'cuz bangs and dings and bumps accumulate and your body hands you the bill in your 30s and 40s.   But let's not pretend that being a QB who stays behind the LOS precludes injury, because it doesn't."

You're precious, you really are

34 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

FireChans: 

"Josh: “I had to rework my mechanics this off-season because my injuries had me compensating incorrectly and making me a worse player”

Beane: “I want Josh to keep that LB mentality and never change”

2024 off-season in a nutshell. 

Response: points out that Josh was injured in the pocket, not while acting like a linebacker and running downfield hitting people

Adds "I'm not Team All-Josh's-Injuries-Are-In-The-Pocket 'cuz it's not true, and also 'cuz bangs and dings and bumps accumulate and your body hands you the bill in your 30s and 40s.   But let's not pretend that being a QB who stays behind the LOS precludes injury, because it doesn't."

You're precious, you really are

No one is pretending staying behind the LOS precludes injury. 

Zero.

Edited by FireChans

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I believe the person who referred to it as a "hit piece" was Sean McDermott

And yes, a heavily-sourced article can be a "hit piece", surely you know this?  It's done by selectively including quotes which support your thesis bracketed by slanted or emotionally loaded writing, omitting or downplaying quotes that don't support it, and choosing your sources.

• Agree 3

8 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I believe the person who referred to it as a "hit piece" was Sean McDermott

And yes, a heavily-sourced article can be a "hit piece", surely you know this?  It's done by selectively including quotes which support your thesis bracketed by slanted or emotionally loaded writing, omitting or downplaying quotes that don't support it, and choosing your sources.

Sure...if any of that happened.  Where is the evidence he did all that in his long form article?  He interviewed 25 including coaching staff, players, other staff.  Much of his quoting of players was complimentary of McD.    As for McD calling it a "hit piece"--I could find that he did comment publicly that he felt it was an attack on his character" and "hurtful", because....what else is he going to say?   And yet, his buddy Beane by the end of the season is reaching out to Dunne to hang out and offers himself for an interview with this "hit man".

Anything and everything in the original article could have been disputed by Beane.  It wasn't.

16 hours ago, transient said:

Whether I reference it as the "hit piece," which is immediately recognized, or as the heavily sourced 20,000 word article that nobody in the Bills FO refuted, it doesn't change the point of my post. After the fallout from the article for McDermott, it's interesting that Beane sat down with Dunne and provided him more access.

it's because he understood that people in his organization are willing to speak up as sources and he wanted to get control of the narrative.  Smart move.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

36 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Sure...if any of that happened.  Where is the evidence he did all that in his long form article?  He interviewed 25 including coaching staff, players, other staff.  Much of his quoting of players was complimentary of McD.    As for McD calling it a "hit piece"--I could find that he did comment publicly that he felt it was an attack on his character" and "hurtful", because....what else is he going to say?   And yet, his buddy Beane by the end of the season is reaching out to Dunne to hang out and offers himself for an interview with this "hit man".

Anything and everything in the original article could have been disputed by Beane.  It wasn't.

it's because he understood that people in his organization are willing to speak up as sources and he wanted to get control of the narrative.  Smart move.

Except that most were no longer in his organization, and while the timing of the release coincided with the Bills being pretty underwhelming on the field, to source 25 people and put together a 3 part 21,000 word series on McDermott suggests that this was in the works as early as the offseason. I agree that Beane engaging him may be a means to control the narrative. Regardless of whether or not he ultimately was approached about it and/or signed off on it, it has to rankle McDermott… especially if he is the thin-skinned, narcissistic control freak that takes no responsibility for failure, as Dunne had previously written (his words, not mine…). 

Edited by transient

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.