1 on 1 with Brandon Beane: Inside the Buffalo Bills GM's Master Plan (Dunne article, paywall)

Logic

I know, I know...the mere MENTION of the name Tyler Dunne makes some Bills fans' blood boil.

Still, this one does not appear to be a hit piece, but rather a pretty long and thorough interview with Brandon Beane. Alas, it is behind a paywall, and I am not a subscriber. For those that are, it seems well worth a read.

https://www.golongtd.com/p/1-on-1-with-brandon-beane-inside

ORCHARD PARK, NY — Brandon Beane can finally relax. This incoming lull on the NFL calendar is a golden opportunity to decompress. For a month, there’s no need for the Buffalo Bills general manager to agonize over an AFC title loss or “13 Seconds” or a blizzardy beatdown to Cincinnati or a 44-yard kick that sails wide right or any of the other razor-thin moments that’ve come between his franchise and a Super Bowl appearance.

Time to exhale.

Maybe… ?

Possibly… ?

No. Hell no.

The breaks of the game are too stupefying. The pursuit of a championship is too all-consuming. Fresh off the most consequential offseason of his career since selecting Josh Allen seventh overall in the 2018 NFL Draft, Beane admits the hunt for a title will inevitably be on his mind. And when training camp commences at St. John Fisher College in late July, he’s back to thinking about that Super Bowl quite literally every single day.  

“It drives you,” Beane says. “It eats at you. You want it so bad.”

Most all GMs and coaches serve up “one bounce away” cliches. Too often, it’s contrived. Snake-oil jargon spewed to convince the masses a team is closer to a championship than it actually is. But here, it’s real. The Bills genuinely have been one bounce from glory. Images of those dynastic Kansas City Chiefs basking in confetti could’ve driven this GM to the point of insanity.

So, the backdrop for this conversation is fitting. Beane is seated inside an office at One Bills Drive after his team’s minicamp practice. Over one shoulder, across Abbott Road, the team’s new stadium is under construction. It opens in 2026. Towering cranes are at work, positioning steel beams into the second level of the bowl. A reminder that hard work — shameless work — and day-to-day patience is always required in life.

Over his other shoulder is the current stadium, the site of his team’s latest heartbreak. One look could elicit one memory that spikes urgency and reminds the GM of one cruel NFL reality: You only get so many opportunities.

Beane is the man tasked with balancing the present and the future.

Fresh off another excruciating playoff defeat, the Bills entered salary-cap hell. (Roughly $41 mill in the red.) His star wide receiver wanted out. (More on that later.) His defense fell flat at the worst time. (Again.) All while, the clock ticks. And ticks. This team’s prized possession is undoubtedly at the peak of his powers. These Bills are armed with arguably the best player this side of Patrick Mahomes. Yet, all-time greats will also tell you that title chances did not last forever during the reigns of Michael Jordan, of Tom Brady. These Bills are at risk of vanquishing in the same vortex.

It was time to drastically reinvent the roster around Josh Allen.

Time for Beane to drive this organization a bold new direction.

This week, the GM sat down exclusively with Go Long to detail his vision for the Buffalo Bills.

For an hour, everything is discussed.

- His thinking behind Buffalo’s “transition,” and the search for a new nucleus of leaders.  

- Letting Josh Allen be Josh Allen. Last offseason, the Bills seemed oddly determined to reel in their 1-of-1 QB. The GM sings a different tune in our chat. He knows Allen has the mentality of a “linebacker” and does not want him to change.

- Stefon Diggs is off to the Houston Texans after four years in Buffalo. Why?

- Revamped WR room. Beane had his choice of any receiver amongst that second tier of wide receivers in the draft. Why Keon Coleman? Is speed a concern? The GM details the substance behind the man in the discounted yellow coat purchased at Macy’s. (He expects big things out of Dalton Kincaid, too.)

-Team psychology. Beane sees value in refueling a roster with players who didn’t experience those playoff losses. He also wanted a healthy number of players with a nasty “edge” to their game. Piecing together a roster is not a matter of talent, and talent alone, to the GM. He calls every team “a chemistry experiment.” One bad chemical, he says, and everything can combust.

-To get his ’06 Indianapolis Colts over the hump, Hall of Fame GM Bill Polian told us he started to weigh playoff performance on a critical curve. Beane is doing the same.

-Is Sean McDermott the coach who can deliver a Super Bowl? Our series from December is brought up.  

- He knows time is of the essence: “We can’t waste these opportunities.”

In a profession full of filibustering extraordinaires, Brandon Beane is an outlier. Candid. There’s no need for a high-powered magnifying glass to decode his words.

Our entire conversation is below:

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

Like I mentioned about this offseason last season.. Its time to cut / part ways with some expensive players bring in younger cost control players and set up Josh Allen for his back 9.

There will be learning curves, and will have to see how his offseason does. Myself I could see no justification for pursuing higher priced FAs (WRs), it makes no sense to me to keep us up against the cap wall, it needed a reset IMO.

Hopefully JA and his younger WR's and new #1 and #2 WR will clean up the kinks durng training camp and get better as the year rolls on. I do expect a little pain.

that is the jist of what I read from the blurb posted by the OP. Reset the cap, get younger.

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, TBBills Fan said:

Damn sounds like a good article.  

Yeah. I'd say "maybe someone who subscribes could share some of the goods with us", but...something tells me there aren't too many Ty Dunne subscribers left on this forum 😆

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yeah. I'd say "maybe someone who subscribes could share some of the goods with us", but...something tells me there aren't too many Ty Dunne subscribers left on this forum 😆

We gotta billieve!

• Like (+1) 1

Interesting that Beane sat down with him given the hit piece on McDermott last season. Regardless of what your opinion on the article was in terms of justified or not, it caused McDermott some embarrassment that he had to publicly answer for. Now his GM is giving the author more access…

• Agree 12

12 minutes ago, transient said:

Interesting that Beane sat down with him given the hit piece on McDermott last season. Regardless of what your opinion on the article was in terms of justified or not, it caused McDermott some embarrassment that he had to publicly answer for. Now his GM is giving the author more access…

This was my first thought.  If I was the GM, I would never grant Dunne an interview request out of loyalty to McD.  But I don't what dynamics are at play here.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I know, I know...the mere MENTION of the name Tyler Dunne makes some Bills fans' blood boil.

Still, this one does not appear to be a hit piece, but rather a pretty long and thorough interview with Brandon Beane. Alas, it is behind a paywall, and I am not a subscriber. For those that are, it seems well worth a read.

https://www.golongtd.com/p/1-on-1-with-brandon-beane-inside

Yo, @boyst, what are those tools for doing an end-around on paywalls?

I've tried a bunch I know of like archive.ph and 12ft.io and Dunne has proofed his paywall against them so far, so it's time to call in the Big Guns.

Normally I believe in the right to intellectual property but if ever a guy deserved the end-around that'd be Dunne IMO

Surprised Beane talked to him after that hit-piece on McDermott

37 minutes ago, transient said:

23 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

This was my first thought.  If I was the GM, I would never grant Dunne an interview request out of loyalty to McD.  But I don't what dynamics are at play here.  

Hopefully Beane (or the PR guys who approved it) consulted with McDermott before agreeing to it

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Normally I believe in the right to intellectual property but if ever a guy deserved the end-around that'd be Dunne IMO

Hopefully Beane (or the PR guys who approved it) consulted with McDermott before agreeing to it

Im sure we care more about it than McD or Beane does, but that was my first thought too. Don’t give Dunne any fodder.

Though the Bills did go on a nice winning streak after the hit piece was published so maybe it’s just Beane trying to improve the team by any means necessary lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I've tried a bunch I know of like archive.ph and 12ft.io and Dunne has proofed his paywall against them so far, so it's time to call in the Big Guns.

https://www.removepaywall.com/

and

https://archive.is/20240614111102/https://www.golongtd.com/p/1-on-1-with-brandon-beane-inside

i'll try a few more

@Beck Water turn off Java and enable reader mode of your browser. it will work

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

1st 2, no

latter removes the paywall notification but still stops at 1 page

Yeah they no work. It stops at the same spot the free part does.

29 minutes ago, Logic said:

Looks like ol Ty-Ty has put up quite the security barrier on his site.

We need Delta Team 7 mega hackers on this one, stat.

I can't, the feds are watching me after the incident last Saturday 

• Haha (+1) 6

40 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I always suspected that Beane gave the green light for the hit piece on McDermott.

Why do you suspect that? 

do you think it was a metaphorical kick in the azs to pressure his HC to think about things from a different perspective?

just curious,

24 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Why do you suspect that? 

do you think it was a metaphorical kick in the azs to pressure his HC to think about things from a different perspective?

just curious,

Beane was the most upset about it and then he does an interview with the guy?

Also at the time of the article it looked like the Bills were going to miss playoffs. I believe McDermott was in trouble if that happened. 

Pegula hired McDermott. I think it will take something controversial to fire McDermott.

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Interesting that Beane is willing to talk to Dunne in detail after what happened to McDermott. I might talk to Livvy Dunne, but not Tyler lol

Edited by buffblue
  • Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Beane was the most upset about it and then he does an interview with the guy?

Also at the time of the article it looked like the Bills were going to miss playoffs. I believe McDermott was in trouble if that happened. 

Pegula hired McDermott. I think it will take something controversial to fire McDermott.

You don't understand how tight Beane and McDermott are.

• Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.