Allen Contract

Add a few years and put Josh at 100 million per.

Yes, it will destroy our Super Bowl hopes and it may even destroy the organization, but I’ll be damned if I’m going to sit around any longer and not have the highest paid QB in the League.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Add a few years and put Josh at 100 million per.

Yes, it will destroy our Super Bowl hopes and it may even destroy the organization, but I’ll be damned if I’m going to sit around any longer and not have the highest paid QB in the League.

We should add a clause to his K that states it will be torn up and re-done after every other QB signs a deal, to ensure he remains #1 in perpetuity…Terry, time to start fracking again!!! 🤩💰

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Jordan Love - 21.5 % of the cap at signing 

Tua - 20.7 % of the cap at signing

Allen - 23.5% of the cap at signing 

Allen at the same rate would get $60 million AAV. But he will probably get or top Burrow’s rate of 24%. Plus he won’t sign a new deal until at least next year. As I pointed out earlier, Allen will get around $65 million AAV when he signs his next deal. 

Can’t look at a contract signed today and compare it to one signed 3-4 years later. Not in the NFL with the cap always rising.

I agree with your premise about the % of cap at signing and the dollar cost of the contract.

One thing that is different is Josh Allen signed during the cap decrease due to the Covid issues in the NFL.

If the cap went up instead of down his % would be a good bit lower at signing.

The other thing that makes Josh's contract better is the 6-year length instead of the "now normal" 5 year for franchise QBs.

For those wondering, Tua's 4-year contract is no doubt due to his health risks.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I agree with your premise about the % of cap at signing and the dollar cost of the contract.

One thing that is different is Josh Allen signed during the cap decrease due to the Covid issues in the NFL.

If the cap went up instead of down his % would be a good bit lower at signing.

The other thing that makes Josh's contract better is the 6-year length instead of the "now normal" 5 year for franchise QBs.

For those wondering, Tua's 4-year contract is no doubt due to his health risks.

Doubt it. He just would’ve gotten more money.

36 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Doubt it. He just would’ve gotten more money.

I think you are missing my point.  You quoted Allen in the 23% and others around 20%, that's the "difference" I'm talking about.

GMs owners and agents also knew that the Covid was just a "glitch" in the cap increases.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I think you are missing my point.  You quoted Allen in the 23% and others around 20%, that's the "difference" I'm talking about.

GMs owners and agents also knew that the Covid was just a "glitch" in the cap increases.

Mahomes got 22.7%. Allen signed next.

Mahomes, Allen, and Burrow are the 3 QB’s to set the market. Each one got more than the other.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Mahomes got 22.7%. Allen signed next.

I'll just leave it at this.  If Josh signed for $43M in 2021 and the cap went up $10M instead of down $15M his % of cap would of

been 20.5% instead of 23.5%.  That's all I'm trying to say.  The math doesn't lie.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'll just leave it at this.  If Josh signed for $43M in 2021 and the cap went up $10M instead of down $15M his % of cap would of

been 20.5% instead of 23.5%.  That's all I'm trying to say.  The math doesn't lie.

Why would he take less? That doesn’t make any sense. 

33 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Why would he take less? That doesn’t make any sense. 

His AAV is $43M

Using percentage of cap at signing in the one year the salary cap actually decreased due to COVID is nonsense

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Patrick Mahomes is unanimously considered the best Quarterback in the NFL.  And some say he's on the way to being the best ever.

He is currently the 11th highest paid at the position, and he was extended a year before Josh Allen.

The Bills shouldn't even worry about Allen's contract until after the Chiefs make a move.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

His AAV is $43M

Using percentage of cap at signing in the one year the salary cap actually decreased due to COVID is nonsense

He would’ve gotten more than $43 million without the decrease in revenue that year.

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He would’ve got more than $43 million without the decrease in revenue that year.

Nah that's just a guess

What we know is he took two million less/yr than top of the market at the time in exchange for most guaranteed money

It was a bargain then and now, using % of cap at signing to prove otherwise is very disingenuous

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Patrick Mahomes is unanimously considered the best Quarterback in the NFL.  And some say he's on the way to being the best ever.

He is currently the 11th highest paid at the position, and he was extended a year before Josh Allen.

The Bills shouldn't even worry about Allen's contract until after the Chiefs make a move.

They already did last year guaranteeing him 210.6 million over the next four seasons. ('23 through '26).  The Bills could follow a similar blueprint.

https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-qb-patrick-mahomes-agrees-to-terms-on-restructured-contract

36 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Nah that's just a guess

What we know is he took two million less/yr than top of the market at the time in exchange for most guaranteed money

It was a bargain then and now, using % of cap at signing to prove otherwise is very disingenuous

It’s definitely a bargain. You’re looking at it the wrong way. It’s a bargain because of the drop in revenue.

Kyler Murray got $46 million the next season. The Bills got a little lucky. There was a lot of uncertainty about the cap in 2021. Allen could’ve risked it and played out the year. He probably gets close to $50 million if he does that. Russell Wilson got $49 million. Rodgers got $50 million. That’s where Allen would’ve been.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

We should add a clause to his K that states it will be torn up and re-done after every other QB signs a deal, to ensure he remains #1 in perpetuity…Terry, time to start fracking again!!! 🤩💰

I believe the owners banned that after the Packer did it with Sterling Sharpe. 

https://www.deseret.com/1994/9/16/19131074/sharpe-catches-top-pay-as-receiver/

• Thank you (+1) 1

https://www.spotrac.com/news/_/id/2418/josh-allen-is-underpaid-now-what

Spotrac takes a look at Allen’s current contract and gives some predictions about what might be done with it. 

TL:DR - Allen is underpaid by NFL QB standards for where he ranks among them. But he still has 4 years left on his deal so it probably won’t be torn up. Most likely scenario is that the Bills adjust his current deal to bring some cash forward.