Allen Contract

13 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Allen is now, I believe, the 11th highest paid QB in the NFL and behind the likes of Kirk Cousins, Lawrence and Jalen Hurts.  He is $12 million below market.  Great job by Beane stepping up when he did.  That $12 million nets us at least two starters.  

Interested in thoughts on when we should we extend Allen.  Seems there is no time like the present!

He’ll be getting a new contract very shortly 

13 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Allen is now, I believe, the 11th highest paid QB in the NFL and behind the likes of Kirk Cousins, Lawrence and Jalen Hurts.  He is $12 million below market.  Great job by Beane stepping up when he did.  That $12 million nets us at least two starters.  

Interested in thoughts on when we should we extend Allen.  Seems there is no time like the present!

Yes, but the Von Miller contract takes away two starters....so, doesn't seem like genius, seems like random luck.  Josh will get paid more at some point, he will not play out at $40 Million, as he is a top 5 player.

Josh is going to get his deal redone in 2025, I think very easily the Bills are going to want to lock Josh up for an even longer period of time and Josh is deserving to be a top paid QB which suddenly he is only the 11th highest QB. I think given the tight cap going into this season and the Bills cap situation massively improving next season the time to do adjust Josh's deal and tack on a couple of seasons to it is now. 

In addition to the Bills trimming the vet fat this off-season and the better cap situation the Bills also have tremendous draft capital which should help them address more needs cheaper short and long term. The Bills have 8 selections with a whopping 6 selections in rounds 1-4 (all of their own plus Minnesota's second and Chicago's 4th) and they are currently slotted to get two compensatory picks which should help them replenish their 5-7 round selections of which they currently only have two sixths (they are projected to get a comp 6th which should act as a high 7th round selection while also being in line to get a comp 4th which should act as a high 5th round pick both of which will give the Bills a full complement of late round selections to go along with their higher draft selections.) 

So hopefully this teams plan of action works long and short term and they can keep Josh happy on a new deal. 

5 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Josh is going to get his deal redone in 2025, I think very easily the Bills are going to want to lock Josh up for an even longer period of time and Josh is deserving to be a top paid QB which suddenly he is only the 11th highest QB. I think given the tight cap going into this season and the Bills cap situation massively improving next season the time to do adjust Josh's deal and tack on a couple of seasons to it is now. 

In addition to the Bills trimming the vet fat this off-season and the better cap situation the Bills also have tremendous draft capital which should help them address more needs cheaper short and long term. The Bills have 8 selections with a whopping 6 selections in rounds 1-4 (all of their own plus Minnesota's second and Chicago's 4th) and they are currently slotted to get two compensatory picks which should help them replenish their 5-7 round selections of which they currently only have two sixths (they are projected to get a comp 6th which should act as a high 7th round selection while also being in line to get a comp 4th which should act as a high 5th round pick both of which will give the Bills a full complement of late round selections to go along with their higher draft selections.) 

So hopefully this teams plan of action works long and short term and they can keep Josh happy on a new deal. 

Agree with everything except IMO the deal get extended at the start of the 2026 season.

33 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Good not great so far and can't stay healthy. Great is 10+ sacks. 

Still young and can be great. No reason to think he can't get better. 

100% agree on picking up his 5th yr option 

You don’t get better letting good players you draft walk, especially at DE and CB. 

9 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Agree with everything except IMO the deal get extended at the start of the 2026 season.

I don't think Josh is going to want to go into the 2025 season as the 12-14th highest paid QB (Tua and possibly another 1-2 QB's will get redone). They will at least do some sort of adjustment to his current deal and then maybe do a full on rescale in 2026 but the contract will be addressed in 2025 to at least some moderate degree in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

I don't think Josh is going to want to go into the 2025 season as the 12-14th highest paid QB (Tua and possibly another 1-2 QB's will get redone). They will at least do some sort of adjustment to his current deal and then maybe do a full on rescale in 2026 but the contract will be addressed in 2025 to at least some moderate degree in my opinion. 

We will see.  Josh (after his base salary gets restructured) will make over $50M in cash next year.

I don't think him waiting another year to be "highest paid" matters that much to him.

We are all speculating, but I'll stick with my take.

Next year, with the projected cap space, will be a good time to extend and level out the salary.  Allen is worth every dollar that he will earn.  Allen and Mahomes should be the two highest paid guys and I have a hard time justifying any of the other guys being above them.  Contract timing and desperate teams have driven considerable disparity, as it always will.

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

We will see.  Josh (after his base salary gets restructured) will make over $50M in cash next year.

I don't think him waiting another year to be "highest paid" matters that much to him.

We are all speculating, but I'll stick with my take.

It's possible Josh punts another year to retouch his deal as the cap going up and up is only going to benefit his contract demands. However, it is usually not the players that make these demands, for a big big big contract like Josh's it is going to be his agent who presses the issue and I think Josh likely would let his agent handle it. This is all speculation but I think that given how agents don't like to have a top tier client occupy a "team friendly" deal for too long I think the agent is going to push the issue to at least get more cash short term and push the larger scale deal off a year. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, KollegeStudnet said:

He wins the SB, I’d say right away. 🦬

He probably should have gotten two SB’s by now if not for the defense falling apart when it mattered 

24 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

I think we, the fans, will worry about this more than Josh and Beane.  They will get a deal done when it is time.

We just want  to make sure he can 100% concentrate on football and winning SB’s instead of worrying about paying his bills !! 

7 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The cap hits in future years get adjusted all the time.  You think he will have a 97M cap hit in 29?  That is just what it says on paper, same wth 2030, it will be north of 27M.   He will get a redone deal probably after this year.  Unless he wants to just "be nice" he deserves to have an AAV approaching 60M, it will happen in due time.

Hurts is big time overrated.  The Eagles won because they had an excellent O line.  Hurts can't carry them passing the ball.  He showed that in the second of last season.  The same with Trevor Lawrence.  He has been decent for his 3 years in the league.  Decent QB's are way overvalued in the NFL.  Its going to be the same with Dak Prescott.  Are the Cowboys going to fall into that trap as well?  Unless gets real close to winning a Super Bowl, I let Dak walk and draft or bring someone in a lot cheaper.  

8 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Based on actual value to the Bills, I would say Allen is worth about $85 million per year. 

I’d take Allen at $100 million over Lawrence at $55 million. 

• Agree 1

Well, on a podcast with Palmer, his off season coach, when asked how many Super Bowls he and the Bills would win, Josh said "8', I believe.

If he wants that to happen he will need to give the Bills a big hometown discount and try to scrape out a living earning just $40 or so million a year--and not break the bank, the team.  He can always get a side job in the off season to pay the rent and such.