Allen Contract

9 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Allen is now, I believe, the 11th highest paid QB in the NFL and behind the likes of Kirk Cousins, Lawrence and Jalen Hurts.  He is $12 million below market.  Great job by Beane stepping up when he did.  That $12 million nets us at least two starters.  

Interested in thoughts on when we should we extend Allen.  Seems there is no time like the present!

In AAV, yes. He is still near the top of actual cash per year though. 

9 hours ago, Doc said:

Keep him at his current salary and pay him under the table...

That what the Patriots did with Brady for years. 

His sports medicine and private consulting business’ biggest customer was the New England Patriots. 

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

White, Miller, Milano, Dawkins, and Knox will all liiely come off the books by then end of 2025. Maybe Bass too if he continues to stink.

Who do the need to extend? Rousseau, Bernard, and Benford maybe and all of them are replaceable. 

Pay the man next year!

Replaceable how? lol. Those are very good players. 

Allen will get paid. So will they.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Replaceable how? lol. Those are very good players. 

Allen will get paid. So will they.

They are good but not great players. I would pay Bernard and Benford for sure if you can get them at a reasonable cost. Rousseau will be interesting.  Can't stay healthy but still young. Would love to see him get double digit sacks and keep him. Need to see it happen first. 

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This is how much Josh Allen will get. It’s scary. Next years cap is projected $273 million. Josh Allen will get approximately 24% of the cap.

ALLEN WILL SIGN FOR $65 million per year. 😲

It’s unbelievable that 7 out of the 10 QBs are in the AFC and the remaining NFC threesome includes Murray at AZ being paid some ridiculous amount for some odd reason. 

10 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The Hurts contract is interesting.

The next three seasons these are his cap hit rankings for the QB position:

2024- 16th $13M

2025- 18th $21M

2026- 15th $31M

And then..

2027- 9th $41M

2028- 4th $47M

2029- 1st $97M

2030* -29 $27M 

*Only three QB's under contract for 2030 season but got to figure $27M will be cheap. 

Eagles are basically all in to win these next three seasons with Hurts. Even AJ Brown and DeVonta Smith don't make outrageous money until after 2027.

The weird thing is the Joe Burrow contact has no cap relief at all. It's basically consistently high in cap hit for the next six seasons from 2024 to 2029. 

Their owner likely wants it that way, as restructuring means more cash up front to pay out and I believe is cash poor. Especially if he is going to re-sign Chase who will need a big signing bonus as well.

10 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

They are good but not great players. I would pay Bernard and Benford for sure if you can get them at a reasonable cost. Rousseau will be interesting.  Can't stay healthy but still young. Would love to see him get double digit sacks and keep him. Need to see it happen first. 

Rousseau with 10+ sacks is a $30 million player. I’m hoping he stays in the 5-7 range honestly. Unless he becomes an absolute terror. He’s a $20 million player now.

11 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Allen is now, I believe, the 11th highest paid QB in the NFL and behind the likes of Kirk Cousins, Lawrence and Jalen Hurts.  He is $12 million below market.  Great job by Beane stepping up when he did.  That $12 million nets us at least two starters.  

Interested in thoughts on when we should we extend Allen.  Seems there is no time like the present!

His contract is absolutely going to get bumped in the next year or two. 

Total contract value numbers are all smoke and mirrors.  Every great  player breaks the "record" when it is their turn for an extension.   But then the average per year is high but reasonable because of the cap.  The next extension for Allen will be for $500 million plus total for 7or 8 years with a ton of it backloaded. People will go "wow, but deserved".

Allen makes millions more in endorsements per year.   He is no dummy, he will want his next contract to look like the next big wow thing.... but he knows that he needs good players ($$) around him so it will be CAP reasonable per year. 

Tom Brady knew this.... Mahomes knows this...All smart super stars know this.   You don't get to the Hall of Fame, Super Bowls, Stanly Cups, World Series, and millions in endorsements and jobs after your career without great players ($$$) and coaches around you.   Playing the long game with contracts will in fact make him even more money over his lifetime.  

58 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Their owner likely wants it that way, as restructuring means more cash up front to pay out and I believe is cash poor. Especially if he is going to re-sign Chase who will need a big signing bonus as well.

Yep. That is exactly why. 

I suspect Josh doesn't care about making as much as those other guys - He already has more money than he knows what to do with, and I believe he would rather surround himself with a good roster so he can win. 

The problem is going to be the NFLPA. Whenever Josh does get a new contract, it will have to be enormous. The union frowns on hometown discounts - it sets the market lower for the guys who just want their bag. Hopefully, it can be structured in a team-friendly way. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Rousseau with 10+ sacks is a $30 million player. I’m hoping he stays in the 5-7 range honestly. Unless he becomes an absolute terror. He’s a $20 million player now.

He's only $2M now and $13M next year on his 5th year guarantee. If he only puts up 5-7 sacks this year and next then I let him walk after 2025.

If he puts up 10+ sacks this year then I extend him before 2025 season. 

I'd rather pay a pass rusher than a MLB. 

Benford is going to be tricky. How much is he really worth? Yes he is a starting CB but is he just a good zone coverage guy? Is he a shut down corner, no? Signing him to an early team friendly deal makes a lot of sense. He's a 6th round pick and if you show him some love and commitment now maybe you can come to terms on a reasonable 3 year deal. That gives him another opportunity to get a large signing bonus. 

24 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

He's only $2M now and $13M next year on his 5th year guarantee. If he only puts up 5-7 sacks this year and next then I let him walk after 2025.

If he puts up 10+ sacks this year then I extend him before 2025 season. 

I'd rather pay a pass rusher than a MLB. 

Benford is going to be tricky. How much is he really worth? Yes he is a starting CB but is he just a good zone coverage guy? Is he a shut down corner, no? Signing him to an early team friendly deal makes a lot of sense. He's a 6th round pick and if you show him some love and commitment now maybe you can come to terms on a reasonable 3 year deal. That gives him another opportunity to get a large signing bonus. 

People don’t seem to understand how good a player Rousseau is. All around good player. 

18 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

People don’t seem to understand how good a player Rousseau is. All around good player. 

Good not great so far and can't stay healthy. Great is 10+ sacks. 

Still young and can be great. No reason to think he can't get better. 

100% agree on picking up his 5th yr option 

• Like (+1) 1