Allen Contract

15 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

I just think extending him at the earliest possible time will prove to be the cheapest.  I think we may have a window with the multi-billion dollar DirecTV verdict.  The players may see some of their money at risk - a flat or downish cap is a bit of a risk - the Bills should capitalise on any such fear and spend like the cap will NOT be affected by the verdict (as I don't think it will, but I am hopeful it is a risk agents may handicap for).

I mean obviously the sooner you do anything the less expensive it is with how the salary cap grows and how the pay to position keeps rising, but that's just not how it works. Both sides typically have an interest in it getting to a certain point before they do an extension, from Allen's side it's because yeah he'd make more down the line, and from the Bills side, knock on wood and all the other things to ward off horrible luck, they have an interest in seeing him maintain this level of play till closer to the end of the contract along with his health before locking themselves in.

28 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean obviously the sooner you do anything the less expensive it is with how the salary cap grows and how the pay to position keeps rising, but that's just not how it works. Both sides typically have an interest in it getting to a certain point before they do an extension, from Allen's side it's because yeah he'd make more down the line, and from the Bills side, knock on wood and all the other things to ward off horrible luck, they have an interest in seeing him maintain this level of play till closer to the end of the contract along with his health before locking themselves in.

This is exactly on... something I think the Phins gonna find out... the sooner you do this the better... if you dont its gonna cost you. 

On 6/13/2024 at 10:23 PM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The Hurts contract is interesting.

The next three seasons these are his cap hit rankings for the QB position:

2024- 16th $13M

2025- 18th $21M

2026- 15th $31M

And then..

2027- 9th $41M

2028- 4th $47M

2029- 1st $97M

2030* -29 $27M 

*Only three QB's under contract for 2030 season but got to figure $27M will be cheap. 

Eagles are basically all in to win these next three seasons with Hurts. Even AJ Brown and DeVonta Smith don't make outrageous money until after 2027.

The weird thing is the Joe Burrow contact has no cap relief at all. It's basically consistently high in cap hit for the next six seasons from 2024 to 2029. 

I don’t see why we redo his contract early.  He’s making on avg. $43 mil.  We play it out amd can use the extra cash next year to buy some top talent around him.  Someone like Tee Higgins or Ayuike.  Josh will be happy for top talent around him and he’ll make even more $ on the next contract.  He’ll be on the next contract way over $60 mil. and well deserved.  Besides guys, the cap will keep going up exponentially so salary is all relative to the cap.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I don’t see why we redo his contract early.  He’s making on avg. $43 mil.  We play it out amd can use the extra cash next year to buy some top talent around him.  Someone like Tee Higgins or Ayuike.  Josh will be happy for top talent around him and he’ll make even more $ on the next contract.  He’ll be on the next contract way over $60 mil. and well deserved.  Besides guys, the cap will keep going up exponentially so salary is all relative to the cap.

Agree.  It's way too early to do an extension.  He's only in his 2nd year of a 6-year contract.

• Agree 2

42 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Agree.  It's way too early to do an extension.  He's only in his 2nd year of a 6-year contract.

With the amount of money being kicked down the road.  I think an actual restructure will be a necessity next offseason.  He will be 15th highest paid?  The amount of money is increasing but also helps to  move the move around.  A win for both parties.  

9 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The Patriots paid Brady under the table for years. Just have Allen open a vitamin company and call it JA17Vz

Except the NFL will never look the other way for the Bills like they did for the Cheats.  Never understood how any of that ***** they pulled with Marcia was never stopped.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

he has a $60 million cap hit next season. 3rd highest in the league. That could be reason to do an extension. To open up cap room for players like you mention. 

4 hours ago, Mat68 said:

With the amount of money being kicked down the road.  I think an actual restructure will be a necessity next offseason.  He will be 15th highest paid?  The amount of money is increasing but also helps to  move the move around.  A win for both parties.  

I'm thinking you mean an extension and not a restructure.  I on the other hand think they will restructure about $20M of his $60M cap hit

next year and kick it out one more time.  I see his contract extension be signed for the start of the 2026 season.

IMO.

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm thinking you mean an extension and not a restructure.  I on the other hand think they will restructure about $20M of his $60M cap hit

next year and kick it out one more time.  I see his contract extension be signed for the start of the 2026 season.

IMO.

I agree. I really hope we can extend him again as soon as possible.  If he ever decides to let it play out, and eventually get himself leverage, he will get very expensive, relatively speaking.

Luckily, right now, he seems content staying in Buffalo and reworking his deal from time to time.  I hope it stays that way for as long as possible.  

4 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I agree. I really hope we can extend him again as soon as possible.  If he ever decides to let it play out, and eventually get himself leverage, he will get very expensive, relatively speaking.

Luckily, right now, he seems content staying in Buffalo and reworking his deal from time to time.  I hope it stays that way for as long as possible.  

I don't see Josh wanting to leave Buffalo.  Pegula's and the team have put their faith in him, and he seems to be the kind of guy who appreciates that.

23 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I don't see Josh wanting to leave Buffalo.  Pegula's and the team have put their faith in him, and he seems to be the kind of guy who appreciates that.

I agree.  For now... I just hope it stays that way.  It won't be easy to leave the city that built such a beautiful tribute to his grandmother.  Hopefully that is enough to keep him here for most, or all of his career.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't know if these rules exist as for limits on contracts but give him a 12 year deal for $50 million a year, with the rolling guarantees such that he is guaranteed the whole thing so long as he reaches the 8th year. He seems to like his life in Buffalo, he makes a ton of money otherwise, and this guarantees him a ton of cash but allow Buffalo to play cap gymnastics in each year so we can keep the talent around him flush

28 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

And he's even lower again.

And will be even lower when Dak gets his contract for being a game manager/stat padder when they are down 20+.

Doesn't Dak need to win more than 2 playoff games to demand more money? 

On 6/13/2024 at 10:19 PM, Doc said:

Keep him at his current salary and pay him under the table...

I mean the Patriots basically did that with Brady, giving him special business deals. If you aren't cheating, then you aren't trying (the Patriot's refrain).

• Like (+1) 1

Jordan Love - 21.5 % of the cap at signing 

Tua - 20.7 % of the cap at signing

Allen - 23.5% of the cap at signing 

Allen at the same rate would get $60 million AAV. But he will probably get or top Burrow’s rate of 24%. Plus he won’t sign a new deal until at least next year. As I pointed out earlier, Allen will get around $65 million AAV when he signs his next deal. 

Can’t look at a contract signed today and compare it to one signed 3-4 years later. Not in the NFL with the cap always rising.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1