Allen Contract

I hope he is as honorable about it as MJ was when he was asked about his contract years ago & said he would play out the contract for what he signed it for, but the next 1 !!!!! 

Edited by T master

On 6/13/2024 at 9:23 PM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The Hurts contract is interesting.

The next three seasons these are his cap hit rankings for the QB position:

2024- 16th $13M

2025- 18th $21M

2026- 15th $31M

And then..

2027- 9th $41M

2028- 4th $47M

2029- 1st $97M

2030* -29 $27M 

*Only three QB's under contract for 2030 season but got to figure $27M will be cheap. 

Eagles are basically all in to win these next three seasons with Hurts. Even AJ Brown and DeVonta Smith don't make outrageous money until after 2027.

The weird thing is the Joe Burrow contact has no cap relief at all. It's basically consistently high in cap hit for the next six seasons from 2024 to 2029. 

because they will restructure hurts in 2029 to push that hit into 2030 and beyond if he’s still a solid starter. 

2029 is a trigger, not a reality in that deal

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

because they will restructure hurts in 2029 to push that hit into 2030 and beyond if he’s still a solid starter. 

2029 is a trigger, not a reality in that deal

I doubt he is on their 2028 roster let alone 2029. So will they be paying her for like three years and he’s not even on the team? Because they’re not really paying him these next three years.

still very fascinating how it differs from the Burrow contract. Complete opposites. 

On 6/14/2024 at 8:48 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Rousseau with 10+ sacks is a $30 million player. I’m hoping he stays in the 5-7 range honestly. Unless he becomes an absolute terror. He’s a $20 million player now.

My first thought at seeing GR at $20M AAV was NFW! But markets are moving so I checked to see what his MV was on OTC and Spotrac. The latter doesn’t have one but OTC puts his MV for last season at $10.1M (regular) and $10.8M (injury adjusted). That tells me that something in the neighborhood of a 5 year, $62.5M deal would be about right. That’s $12.5M AAV. I’d be happy with that.

There are a lot of very high and some very low opinions of GR. Both are well of the mark IMO. He’s a solid/good DE, but he’s limited to a complimentary role. That type of production has value, but that kind of player is replaceable. Anything close to $20M AAV would be malfeasance IMO. OTOH if he’s not re-signed/extended then we have a hole to fill - and probably a solid comp pick in our future since some team will overpay him.

That last point may be what causes the Bills to move on from him. If he plays out his deal w/o and extension, then leaving via FA is his big payday. Beane would do well to let that happen - or try to extend him in the next few months if he wants to retain him. GR and his agent are probably not that interested in an extension though as they know which path is likely to get him much more money.  

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

My first thought at seeing GR at $20M AAV was NFW! But markets are moving so I checked to see what his MV was on OTC and Spotrac. The latter doesn’t have one but OTC puts his MV for last season at $10.1M (regular) and $10.8M (injury adjusted). That tells me that something in the neighborhood of a 5 year, $62.5M deal would be about right. That’s $12.5M AAV. I’d be happy with that.

There are a lot of very high and some very low opinions of GR. Both are well of the mark IMO. He’s a solid/good DE, but he’s limited to a complimentary role. That type of production has value, but that kind of player is replaceable. Anything close to $20M AAV would be malfeasance IMO. OTOH if he’s not re-signed/extended then we have a hole to fill - and probably a solid comp pick in our future since some team will overpay him.

That last point may be what causes the Bills to move on from him. If he plays out his deal w/o and extension, then leaving via FA is his big payday. Beane would do well to let that happen - or try to extend him in the next few months if he wants to retain him. GR and his agent are probably not that interested in an extension though as they know which path is likely to get him much more money.  

This isn't exactly meant to knock Rousseau but it won't be difficult to replace a guy who plays about 60% of snaps at DE, sets the edge well and contributes 5 and a half sacks/year

• Thank you (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

This isn't exactly meant to knock Rousseau but it won't be difficult to replace a guy who plays about 60% of snaps at DE, sets the edge well and contributes 5 and a half sacks/year

Agreed. GR does it well, but it’s a far more replaceable skill set than a DE who can get to the QB quickly. His skill set is also a lot less expensive. Just like with Edmunds my worry with GR is that the Bills will overpay to keep him. Beane did the right thing with Edmunds and I expect him to do the right thing with GR. 

On 6/13/2024 at 10:04 PM, MarlinTheMagician said:

Allen is now, I believe, the 11th highest paid QB in the NFL and behind the likes of Kirk Cousins, Lawrence and Jalen Hurts.  He is $12 million below market.  Great job by Beane stepping up when he did.  That $12 million nets us at least two starters.  

Interested in thoughts on when we should we extend Allen.  Seems there is no time like the present!

Sounds like Joshie needs a new agent to me.

On 6/14/2024 at 10:10 AM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

He's only $2M now and $13M next year on his 5th year guarantee. If he only puts up 5-7 sacks this year and next then I let him walk after 2025.

If he puts up 10+ sacks this year then I extend him before 2025 season. 

I'd rather pay a pass rusher than a MLB. 

Benford is going to be tricky. How much is he really worth? Yes he is a starting CB but is he just a good zone coverage guy? Is he a shut down corner, no? Signing him to an early team friendly deal makes a lot of sense. He's a 6th round pick and if you show him some love and commitment now maybe you can come to terms on a reasonable 3 year deal. That gives him another opportunity to get a large signing bonus. 

Agree on Rousseau, he is a 2nd contract tweener... good enough to get that look but like an Edmunds is it gonna be worth the going rate? This year to me tells the tale...  I feel like Benford will be reasonable to retain... He is good, not great you have really good corners if he is your Nickle guy... I also suspect he will be looked at in a safety role potentially. I like your idea of wrapping him early to a team friendly deal. 

On 6/19/2024 at 10:11 AM, BarleyNY said:

This seems correct, if I’m the Bills I want that extension now for the numbers you suggested and I’m sure Rousseau is thinking if I bet on myself and hit double digit sacks then I’m getting a massive bag.

Interesting situation.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, julian said:

This seems correct, if I’m the Bills I want that extension now for the numbers you suggested and I’m sure Rousseau is thinking if I bet on myself and hit double digit sacks then I’m getting a massive bag.

Interesting situation.

It’s not like his play is going to fall off in any substantial way this season, unless he were to get injured. And that wouldn’t hurt him on a contract unless it was an injury that impacted his play next season. That’s a risk, but a relatively low percentage one and there’s a lot of money to be made in FA. 

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

I just think extending him at the earliest possible time will prove to be the cheapest.  I think we may have a window with the multi-billion dollar DirecTV verdict.  The players may see some of their money at risk - a flat or downish cap is a bit of a risk - the Bills should capitalise on any such fear and spend like the cap will NOT be affected by the verdict (as I don't think it will, but I am hopeful it is a risk agents may handicap for).