Trevor Lawrence Gets Extension

H2o

21 minutes ago, H2o said:

He was a really good college QB. Those Clemson teams were stacked with talent during that run though. But it almost seems as if what you saw in college has been his ceiling in the NFL. In the NFL, the speed of the game is obviously faster and the windows are tighter. That's why you see the same guy that he was in college, but with more INT's. He kinda reminds me of Ryan Tannehill. A solid, but not elite QB and the Jags just gave him elite $$$. 

Tannehill is a good comp. I do think hes better than Tannehill, but its not a giant gap, especially during his better years in TN

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s cap %. Allen’s deal is still the 2nd most in the history of the NFL. Burrow is the highest. 

Mahomes is the real bargain. Burrow, Allen, Herbert , and Jackson all got a higher % of the cap than Mahomes. Burrow nearly 2% more than Mahomes. Thats a lot of money.

Lawrence is currently 10th. That’s about right.

True at the time of signing for Allen, BUT it was caused by the Covid impact on the cap.

• Like (+1) 1

I see a lot of his games on local TV.  He has not been the player that he was projected to be.  Some of it has been coaching and some has been the team around him.  Even considering those issues, he seems to have underachieved.  He makes the throws that you see average QB's make but he hardly every makes the throws that elite passers pull off.  He also comes up small in big moments in games.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

This is a classic case of stats not telling the entire story.

Lest we forget that 27 point comeback victory in the playoffs vs the Chargers.  

I also think Daniel Jones regressed a lot. Lawrence isn’t amazing, but I think he’s been more consistent. Jones put up some big numbers, and started to fade quickly. 

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

I also think Daniel Jones regressed a lot. Lawrence isn’t amazing, but I think he’s been more consistent. Jones put up some big numbers, and started to fade quickly. 

Jones is very talented, hes just been surrounded by a horrible cast. Besides Bakely and now Nabers, he has had a bunch of jags around him. But even his best season he has like 17 TDs. They should have signed Barkley to the contract extension and franchised Jones. Big fan of Daboll and Joe Schein, but they messed up big time there 

23 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

That's what I'm asking...I know if you trade a player their guarenteed money is accelerated to that season and is kept on the trading teams books (like Diggs).

My question is if that is the case if the contract is not technically active yet...like Allen's extension didn't kick in until he played out his 5th year option and maybe even his 4th year of his rookie deal, can't remember exactly when he signed.

The contract is signed, it’s active.   They are on the hook for it, can’t just say “well he’s under the rookie deal until the 4th year is over, so it doesn’t count if we trade him”

7 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Jones is very talented, hes just been surrounded by a horrible cast. Besides Bakely and now Nabers, he has had a bunch of jags around him. But even his best season he has like 17 TDs. They should have signed Barkley to the contract extension and franchised Jones. Big fan of Daboll and Joe Schein, but they messed up big time there 

Yeah, that was a God awful move, which is why I don’t understand why all these teams are in such a hurry to over pay guys.   Jones, like GeNO!, had no business getting massive deals.  They are adequate starters at best, you can’t pay those types and have money to spend where you need to.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.