Trevor Lawrence Gets Extension

H2o

36 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

honestly, there’s a few basics not understood here. 

dead money and guaranteed money are not interchangeable words

Got it, so the guarenteed amount can still only be max five years down the line, so if he signed a 5 year deal with two years still on his original deal, the entire remaining guarentee goes into the next five years or less (depending on how they structure) and then as the next season comes along there isn't any cap currently for that player held up by their guarentee because year six is now five years out so that's how they're able to restructure in situations where they aren't actually adding additional years to the deal.

You're right, I think I was missing something foundational there, thanks! 

Edited by HardyBoy

20 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Anyway to see their most recent 20 or so starts?

That's all their regular season games they've played in their career up to this point.  Both played 50 if you include the playoffs.

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

I think he might be the best QB they have ever had?

The Browns thought they could do better and we saw how that went lol

Mark Brunell

Edited by Mikie2times

Completely average QB. Has never distinguished himself amongst the middling pack. Disgusting overpayment but that’ll happen with any QB that signs an extension. Talent doesn’t much matter. Whether you’re Lawrence, Watson or Mahomes, it’s just who signs last. Jaguars are going to be choked by this deal, zero chance they compete anymore. 

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Trevor Lawrence is obviously better but I found this interesting....

GQANWxIXYAA6vk0?format=png&name=small

Maybe not so obviously better after all. I’d only put him slightly above Daniel Jones TBH

Edited by PetermansRedemption

3 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I used to think these contracts were crazy, but now I'm kind of in favor of it.

The NFL's been the most popular sport in the US for a long time now, but due to the amount of players, it fell behind MLB & NBA in terms of contracts.

That's not the case anymore. And given that the cap is slowly approaching $300 million now, it makes sense that QBs would get paid a boatload of money. 

Mahomes & Allen's contracts looked pretty huge at the time, but each passing year makes them look better & better.

It’s cap %. Allen’s deal is still the 2nd most in the history of the NFL. Burrow is the highest. 

Mahomes is the real bargain. Burrow, Allen, Herbert , and Jackson all got a higher % of the cap than Mahomes. Burrow nearly 2% more than Mahomes. Thats a lot of money.

Lawrence is currently 10th. That’s about right.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Trevor Lawrence is obviously better but I found this interesting....

GQANWxIXYAA6vk0?format=png&name=small

This is a classic case of stats not telling the entire story.

Lest we forget that 27 point comeback victory in the playoffs vs the Chargers.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

This is a classic case of stats not telling the entire story.

Lest we forget that 27 point comeback victory in the playoffs vs the Chargers.  

He also threw four picks in that game.  It's more of a case of Lawrence's stats were so bad his rookie year because Urban Meyer may have been the worst coaching hire in the last ten years at least.  I guess you could make a case for Adam Gase or Nathaniel Hackett but still.  It was bad.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

Got it, so the guarenteed amount can still only be max five years down the line, so if he signed a 5 year deal with two years still on his original deal, the entire remaining guarentee goes into the next five years or less (depending on how they structure) and then as the next season comes along there isn't any cap currently for that player held up by their guarentee because year six is now five years out so that's how they're able to restructure in situations where they aren't actually adding additional years to the deal.

You're right, I think I was missing something foundational there, thanks! 

“dead money” in the cap is generally money you have already paid but hasn’t hit your cap. A signing bonus is amortized over the duration of the contract, up to 5 years. Example - a 10m bonus on a 5+ year deal becomes 2m per year for 5 years in accounting. If you move on from a guy after a year you have to claim that other 8M that you paid at signing in your cap still because you gave it to a player as compensation already. 

Future guaranteed money can be moved to another team in a trade. If a new team assumes a contract they are responsible for the future cash payments and the cap accounting of those future payments. It only becomes dead money for a team if they cut him and have to pay the future guaranteed dollars themselves. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’d pay TLaw this if I were the Jags. 

You have to have an elite QB in the AFC right now, and while I don’t think he is that, I do think he still has potential. 

However, he has a lot of Herbert in him where the idea of him is greater than the actual player.

If Lawrence didn’t have a generational run at Clemson, followed by the draft hype, he would’ve never gotten this money. 

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

That's all their regular season games they've played in their career up to this point.  Both played 50 if you include the playoffs.

Oh for sure, but if one had a great start and then stunk and then one had a rough start and then did awesome that's important to know. 

Think of Peyton Manning and RGIII...they might look reasonably similar if you look over their first 40 or so games since RGIII had such an amazing first year and Manning was rough.

I remeber his draft year. Everybody talked about him as the biggest QB talent since Manning and Luck. Jets could take him as 1st overall. I don't watch college football but I was scared by these reports that Jets have to get generational talent at QB position. But they won at the end of season and 1st pick went to Jax. Jets fans cried that Jets even suck in sucking 😁. I felt relieved.

But after several seasons in NFL I see nothing special in Lawrence. Mediocre QB. What all these scouts saw in him in college?

2 minutes ago, Artem Lipatov said:

I remeber his draft year. Everybody talked about him as the biggest QB talent since Manning and Luck. Jets could take him as 1st overall. I don't watch college football but I was scared by these reports that Jets have to get generational talent at QB position. But they won at the end of season and 1st pick went to Jax. Jets fans cried that Jets even suck in sucking 😁. I felt relieved.

But after several seasons in NFL I see nothing special in Lawrence. Mediocre QB. What all these scouts saw in him in college?

He was a really good college QB. Those Clemson teams were stacked with talent during that run though. But it almost seems as if what you saw in college has been his ceiling in the NFL. In the NFL, the speed of the game is obviously faster and the windows are tighter. That's why you see the same guy that he was in college, but with more INT's. He kinda reminds me of Ryan Tannehill. A solid, but not elite QB and the Jags just gave him elite $$$. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.