Brett Kollmann - Good analysis of the Bills based on watching tape not just following narratives

17 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I've seen this number before (maybe from you?) and let it go, but at this point it seems worth correcting.

The Bills are NOT putting $8M into the Crowder/McKenzie role in this cap-strapped year.  As always when something like an "$8M average" contract is announced, we have to look at the fine print.

Curtis Samuel's cap hit for the Bills this year is $3.4M: salary of $1.2M, amortized signing bonus of $1.725M. 

That doesn't seem excessive, given that he has actually proven on the football field that he can gain yards from the backfield and play outside, two things McKenzie could not.  Except for the year he was injured, Samuel has been a pretty reliable 650 yd/season 

Comparison (both played from 2017-2023; Samuel's total is depressed by including an IR'd year.
image.thumb.png.b3af1a575c73d990522fbb0472a075b7.png

My point was they gave C Samuel a good portion of the amount of money allocated to the WR position, and he has not been primarily an outside WR.

C Samuel was guaranteed $15M with an out for 2026, so that is $7.5M/yr of real money.  You can play cap games with anyone,

DHop had a $1.8M salary last year for Tenn and Diggs a cap hit of around $6M for Houston this year.  The Bills chose not to allocate real money and play cap games with a top tier outside WR.

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Eventually I think he could be very good.

But everything points to him being a project.

20 years old,  doesn't get separation, doesn't catch contested passes well and has not even produced a single big season on the college level........but is also being asked to play the toughest WR position instead of being eased in at a spot where he can get free releases etc?

That is not the scouting report of a player who fans should realistically expect to excel early in their career but Beane is apparently f#cking sold that it's all good from the get-go.

I've used the Davante Adams comp.   Adams is a similar big, physical, coordinated and springy WR without exceptional speed but with exceptional hand talent.    

Davante Adams was much more polished and productive than Coleman at the college level.........but Adams was just a guy putting up very modest numbers his first couple seasons in the NFL.   That despite having an All Pro QB feeding him the ball.  And it really took him until year 5 to become one of the league's elite..

The odds that he becomes Adams-level are not great obviously,  but that's his ceiling IMO.   But if it doesn't happen for him quickly it complicates matters because the Bills will feel compelled to invest heavily in other solutions for WR1.    

That's interesting, most people blindly accept the false contested catch(es) narrative.  

I get an Alec Pierce/N'Keal Harry vibe from Coleman except with a lesser YPR.  Not quite James Hardy, but closer to Hardy than to Watkins.  

The other nonsense about Coleman is this two-sport athlete gibberish.  The narrative is akin to making him out to be a successful basketball player.  He played a single season, was among the players that never played.  He logged 10 minutes of playing time and scored 5 points in six games all season.  He had one game with 5 minutes played, another with 2, and three with 1 each.  It's not even relevant.  Not to make a mountain out of it, but those on the pro side are making a whole lot more out of it than is actually there.  

On the age thing, I also don't get why McBeane like these "youngest player in the draft" types, we've been burned in the early years of at least two now and it's common sense that it will take longer for them to develop, particularly in Coleman's case and players like him, whereby against NFL talent in college he did not fare well at all.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

58 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

My point was they gave C Samuel a good portion of the amount of money allocated to the WR position, and he has not been primarily an outside WR.

C Samuel was guaranteed $15M with an out for 2026, so that is $7.5M/yr of real money.  You can play cap games with anyone,

DHop had a $1.8M salary last year for Tenn and Diggs a cap hit of around $6M for Houston this year.  The Bills chose not to allocate real money and play cap games with a top tier outside WR.

Fair points, but the Hopkins and Diggs contract situations are substantively different.  The Texans will take on a $16M dead cap for an unsigned player next year.  The Titans will take on $9.8M dead cap for an unsigned player next year.   They are both "mortgaging the future/kicking the can down the road" contracts.  

The Bills do have a substantive cap hit for Samuel next year, but Samuel is under contract.  

You failed to address the other point, that Samuel is a more consistent, higher producing WR than McKenzie, so one would expect to allocate more resources.  What do you think is the going rate for a vet #3 receiver who has been consistently productive in the 50+ reception/yr, 600 yd/yr range?

It's true he's not a "top tier outside WR".  Who was available that you wanted the Bills to sign? 

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Fair points, but the Hopkins and Diggs contract situations are substantively different.  The Texans will take on a $16M dead cap for an unsigned player next year.  The Titans will take on $9.8M dead cap for an unsigned player next year.   They are both "mortgaging the future/kicking the can down the road" contracts.  

The Bills do have a substantive cap hit for Samuel next year, but Samuel is under contract.  

You failed to address the other point, that Samuel is a more consistent, higher producing WR than McKenzie, so one would expect to allocate more resources.  What do you think is the going rate for a vet #3 receiver who has been consistently productive in the 50+ reception/yr, 600 yd/yr range?

It's true he's not a "top tier outside WR".  Who was available that you wanted the Bills to sign? 

I liked the Samuel signing at the time.  I think he is a reasonably priced WR2/3.  And he has versatility to back-up both Shakir and a little of Cook.  Much better IMO than McKenzie or Sherfield/Harty.  And at that time we still had DIggs, so I thought Samuel would be the second outside WR until a rookie could take it.

This is why I'm wondering when exactly they decided they had to move Diggs.  If it was early (like pre- C Samuel signing) it doesn't make as much sense to me.  If they knew they were moving Diggs they had a huge hole at outside WR- with both Diggs + Davis leaving.  A rookie was never intended to be an immediate answer.  But even if intended to be an intermediate answer K Coleman seems an odd choice - a young, raw, athletic, high ceiling type.  And why would you give up the 5th year option on that type of WR.

Having a "kicking the can down the road" contract for a top tier WR is what I thought they would do.  I continued thinking it right up through the Tre money.

10 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I liked the Samuel signing at the time.  I think he is a reasonably priced WR2/3.  And he has versatility to back-up both Shakir and a little of Cook.  Much better IMO than McKenzie or Sherfield/Harty.  And at that time we still had DIggs, so I thought Samuel would be the second outside WR until a rookie could take it.

This is why I'm wondering when exactly they decided they had to move Diggs.  If it was early (like pre- C Samuel signing) it doesn't make as much sense to me.  If they knew they were moving Diggs they had a huge hole at outside WR- with both Diggs + Davis leaving.  A rookie was never intended to be an immediate answer.  But even if intended to be an intermediate answer K Coleman seems an odd choice - a young, raw, athletic, high ceiling type.  And why would you give up the 5th year option on that type of WR.

Having a "kicking the can down the road" contract for a top tier WR is what I thought they would do.  I continued thinking it right up through the Tre money.

It all makes sense when you look at it through the prism of “there is no master plan” lol.

2 years ago, Beane made Diggs a top 5 WR in terms of money with 2 years left on his current deal. This was to keep him happy. It didn’t work, and he had to cut bait before the extension even kicked in. This pigeon-holed them into their ultimate need draft, where they needed a WR, a saftey and a DT and somehow picked all three (but traded back so they could get all 3.)

There is no plan. There’s no secret new method to team-building they are undergoing. This was the most reactionary off-season in quite a while. 

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

3 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Correct-  the Bills chose to improve their salary cap structure for the future as opposed to giving themselves the best shot in 24 at the expense of future years cap.  It’s something that every talented team with an elite QB will do at some point.  

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Eventually I think he could be very good.

But everything points to him being a project.

20 years old,  doesn't get separation, doesn't catch contested passes well and has not even produced a single big season on the college level........but is also being asked to play the toughest WR position instead of being eased in at a spot where he can get free releases etc?

That is not the scouting report of a player who fans should realistically expect to excel early in their career but Beane is apparently f#cking sold that it's all good from the get-go.

I've used the Davante Adams comp.   Adams is a similar big, physical, coordinated and springy WR without exceptional speed but with exceptional hand talent.    

Davante Adams was much more polished and productive than Coleman at the college level.........but Adams was just a guy putting up very modest numbers his first couple seasons in the NFL.   That despite having an All Pro QB feeding him the ball.  And it really took him until year 5 to become one of the league's elite..

The odds that he becomes Adams-level are not great obviously,  but that's his ceiling IMO.   But if it doesn't happen for him quickly it complicates matters because the Bills will feel compelled to invest heavily in other solutions for WR1.    

I watched a video of every pass attempt for Coleman for the 2023 season. Once I'd finished, my gut level reaction was, I'd never want to take a guy like this before the 4th round. Even then, I'd say, "Well, this is a weak draft. I have to use my 4th round pick on someone. May as well be him. I . . . guess?"

• Dislike 1

I would argue their entire analysis of the Dorsey/Brady situation is built on a faulty foundation. That faulty foundation is their contention that scoring increased under Brady.

The truth is more nuanced. The Bills had more offensive drives per game under Brady, than they did under Dorsey. That meant that the Bills scored more points per game under Brady, without scoring more points per drive. Why did the Bills get more offensive possessions? My guess is because of the defense. When Dorsey was the coordinator, the Bills used a lot of soft zone/prevent defense. That allowed opposing offenses to go on long, clock-killing drives, thereby reducing the Bills' number of possessions. McDermott improved as a defensive coordinator during Brady's time as OC, thereby shortening opposing teams' possessions.

Also I will add this, in support of Brady. Josh Allen was playing hurt. Diggs was not the same guy late season, that he'd been in September and October. Those are facts to bear in mind, when you see Brady pointlessly running James Cook up the middle for a 2 - 3 yard gain. This year, I'm hoping for the Bills to be healthier, and I'm hoping our offensive players are used more creatively than had been the case last year.

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Correct-  the Bills chose to improve their salary cap structure for the future as opposed to giving themselves the best shot in 24 at the expense of future years cap.  It’s something that every talented team with an elite QB will do at some point.  

This is a major reason in my change in opinion of Beane, doing a rebuild during a prime Josh year is wrong.  Plus these:

The rebuild is not rebuilding the WR room.  The future of the WRs for 2025 remains a mystery and will need work next year.  Why not take two - like T Franklin.  Or what would have been better is to address it this year for multiple more.

If rebuilding why K Coleman?  The young, raw prospect over the more pro-ready prospects.

Why give up the 5th year option by moving down one year?  K Coleman is supposed to be the young, raw, higher ceiling player.  I know draft picks but we had plenty, so much so that we took an extra in 2025.

I don't want the strategy of the Bills going forward to not include good outside WRs.  This trial period makes me nervous.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I think you're asking a good question. 

There were reports that the Bills were shopping Diggs at some of the events preceding the league NY - Sr Bowl mebbe?

There was a tweet from Diggs implying that he expected to be traded just before his salary guaranteed the 5th day of the league New Year in March

Bills signed Samuel on March 14th.

Bills traded Diggs on April 3rd

One theory on the sequence of events is:

1) Bills shop Diggs in early Feb, but get no takers that they feel offer fair compensation for the cap hit they'd have to swallow and the roster hole

2) Bills decide to keep Diggs, draft/sign low tier FA to replace Davis, and make a modest splurge on Curtis Samuel as their slot/everyman WR vs going for an X

3) either something further happens with Diggs, the Texans make a "Zillow make me move" offer of what may be a high 2025 2nd rounder, or both

I'd be lying if I said I felt good about the Bills WR rooml

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Einstein's Dog said:

This is a major reason in my change in opinion of Beane, doing a rebuild during a prime Josh year is wrong.  Plus these:

The rebuild is not rebuilding the WR room.  The future of the WRs for 2025 remains a mystery and will need work next year.  Why not take two - like T Franklin.  Or what would have been better is to address it this year for multiple more.

If rebuilding why K Coleman?  The young, raw prospect over the more pro-ready prospects.

Why give up the 5th year option by moving down one year?  K Coleman is supposed to be the young, raw, higher ceiling player.  I know draft picks but we had plenty, so much so that we took an extra in 2025.

I don't want the strategy of the Bills going forward to not include good outside WRs.  This trial period makes me nervous.

You can look at it that way.  I don’t think the roster losses that constitute this a “rebuild” were that big minus Diggs and Floyd.  Neither player played significant roles in our seasons turn around.  2 Older players that didn’t live up to their contracts when they were needed.  

Gabe-  mehhhh-  paying him would’ve been a terrible mistake imo.  

Poyer and Hyde had clearly lost more than a step-  their replacements may actually be upgrades comes playoff time.

Tre- we got nothing but big cap hits from Tre for 3 years.  

phillips, settle, Joseph-  I think our replacements are better. 

Sure- our WR unit is worse than last year based on history-  but what else is noticeably worse? One could argue that this team is better on D by replacing declining vets. The team that barely lost to the champs will get back Milano, Bernard, Benford and a healthy Douglas. Von miller should be better and I love that soloman will be learning from him.  

I think that we’re a pretty competitive rebuild as I don’t think we’ll be much worse, if at all, yet have put ourselves in a much better cap situation going forward…..which will increase our chances of winning for the remaining Josh Allen “prime years”

The chiefs were in a similar rebuild.  Their WR unit regressed and they won back to back Lombardi's

edit-  forgot to mention Morse.  That loss could be a big one, but Edwards was a capable LG for a Super Bowl winning team.  Up the middle, Mcgovern should be a more physical force than Morse too.  Might not be a noticeable drop off if at all. 

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

When one makes a mistake, it's generally best to correct it as quickly as possible. Take the bad tasting medicine, and move on. This was a mini-rebuild year because Beane jettisoned a bunch of overpaid, aging players who were no longer worth what they were getting paid. You don't want to put new money into guys like those.

That said . . . when you have an elite QB, you want to surround him with good to elite WRs. I'm high on Kincaid, and I like Shakir as a slot. (And only as a slot.) But I don't know what the plan is at outside WR. Going into next year's off-season, I would anticipate that outside WR will be our biggest need.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

2) Bills decide to keep Diggs, draft/sign low tier FA to replace Davis, and make a modest splurge on Curtis Samuel as their slot/everyman WR vs going for an X

That the Bills expected to have Diggs on the team this season is the only way that the WR strategy made any sense.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think you're asking a good question. 

There were reports that the Bills were shopping Diggs at some of the events preceding the league NY - Sr Bowl mebbe?

There was a tweet from Diggs implying that he expected to be traded just before his salary guaranteed the 5th day of the league New Year in March

Bills signed Samuel on March 14th.

Bills traded Diggs on April 3rd

One theory on the sequence of events is:

1) Bills shop Diggs in early Feb, but get no takers that they feel offer fair compensation for the cap hit they'd have to swallow and the roster hole

3) either something further happens with Diggs, the Texans make a "Zillow make me move" offer of what may be a high 2025 2nd rounder, or both

I'd be lying if I said I felt good about the Bills WR rooml

Nothing but my speculation but I think your sequence of events is on point but I’d point out that Diggs’ “you sure?” Was what further happens 

I think the trade was on the table and they weren’t pulling the trigger but that tweet sealed the deal.  But who knows?

8 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Did Ken Dorsey have a lot of apologists & defenders?

Seems that he had a lot more let's wait and see types.  Seems that his biggest defenders when he took over are the same people defending Brady now for similar reasons, aka McD knows what he's doing, trust him.  That and because Allen wanted him.

Just sayin'. 

Yes he does.  If you watch the video they break down the differences between Dorsey and Brady as play callers.  

These two do a very good explaining the problem with the Ken Dorsey offense.  It relied too much on deep shots to receivers who just aren’t great vs. man coverage.    It was all or nothing. 

Rather than continually throwing at a disadvantage Brady played to what the offense did well by mixing in short passes and a run game.  The deep shots were still there though Allen wasn’t able to connect for one reason or another.  

Still, there are some who want to complain that Brady “took the air out of the football.”  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Nothing but my speculation but I think your sequence of events is on point but I’d point out that Diggs’ “you sure?” Was what further happens 

I think the trade was on the table and they weren’t pulling the trigger but that tweet sealed the deal.  But who knows?

I don't think the tweet had anything to do with the Bills making a deal.  I think it was a snarky reaction to being informed of the deal.

But, that's just my opinion I got nothing to back that up except a believe that Beane is a professional and wouldn't make a decision to throw a man overboard based on a snarky ambiguous tweet.  So I think he pulled the trigger, Diggs was informed, and THEN he snarked out the tweet

1 hour ago, Billy Claude said:

That the Bills expected to have Diggs on the team this season is the only way that the WR strategy made any sense.

Concur.

Edited by Beck Water

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I don't think the tweet had anything to do with the Bills making a deal.  I think it was a snarky reaction to being informed of the deal.

But, that's just my opinion I got nothing to back that up except a believe that Beane is a professional and wouldn't make a decision to throw a man overboard based on a snarky ambiguous tweet.  So I think he pulled the trigger, Diggs was informed, and THEN he snarked out the tweet

Concur.

I don’t consider that to be a snarky and ambiguous tweet.  It had a purpose either way.  If you’re right and he tweeted after being informed of the trade, it was a shot at Josh.  If I’m right, and the tweet just further proved that this relationship is over, he got exactly what he wanted.  And we sent him to one of the best spots for him.  It’s my opinion that he didn’t want to be here anymore and he had an opportunity to force himself out, just like he did in minny.  

I didn’t want to trade Diggs-  I was hoping we’d keep him.  Then I saw what he had said and changed my mind- I would have preferred if we could move on.  Then hours later-  he’s gone.  

But then again- I’m not a GM.  I just don’t think one has to be an NfL GM to realize when a relationship is fractured beyond repair

54 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t consider that to be a snarky and ambiguous tweet.  It had a purpose either way.  If you’re right and he tweeted after being informed of the trade, it was a shot at Josh.  If I’m right, and the tweet just further proved that this relationship is over, he got exactly what he wanted.  And we sent him to one of the best spots for him.  It’s my opinion that he didn’t want to be here anymore and he had an opportunity to force himself out, just like he did in minny.  

I didn’t want to trade Diggs-  I was hoping we’d keep him.  Then I saw what he had said and changed my mind- I would have preferred if we could move on.  Then hours later-  he’s gone.  

But then again- I’m not a GM.  I just don’t think one has to be an NfL GM to realize when a relationship is fractured beyond repair

Beane has been making the rounds and while he hasn’t been specific, he simply said it was “the right time” to make a move.

You have to read between the lines of what he says but IMO I think this suggests that Diggs wasn’t happy with a reduced role in the offense and wanted out.  Plus things happened behind the scenes over the past year or which likely contributed to the deal.

He also said it was time for new players to emerge as leaders.   Diggs was very vocal and as a team leader as captain, which might not have been a good thing.     

Also, I think the Bills planned to get out Diggs’ contract next season.  They saw a malcontent player with declining skills that was still paid like “him” and would be looking at eating some his contract through release.  Then Houston offered above average compensation for a 31 year-old WR.  Next year, his value is greatly diminished, and they would barely get anything.  So because of this, they decided the bite the bullet contractually and move on.  

Finally, Beane alluded that you have to grade postseason performances with a curve.  IMO this is definitely pointed at Diggs’ performance against KC which was really bad for a player who considers himself elite.  

All of those factors contributed to the trade.  I don’t think the tweet had anything to do with it.  They’ve been putting up with Diggs (or his brother) being passive aggressive on Twitter for years.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I just don't think Beane would trade a player because of a tweet.

The GM has all the goods - the GPS tracking his speed in practice and games, the specifics of what route he was supposed to run and how he ran it, how often he was open on-time against man.  He gets info on what's going on in the locker room.   Some of the stuff that's been rumored here - Diggs being chronically late, having a special parking spot, being an asshat to police officers, some stunt he pulled that hurt the team, that in 2022 he ranted at Allen about missing him in games to the point where the WR room was uncomfortable and Allen was fed up and stopped talking to him.

I think Diggs may have forced himself out, I just think one small tweet weighs pretty small against everything else that may have gone on and against leaving a gaping hole while taking on $31M dead cap.

And yes, I think the tweet was a shot at Josh.

In the interview with Dunne if I recall correctly Beane pretty well said Diggs didn't want to be here any more.  So yes, he got exactly what he wanted.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I just don't think Beane would trade a player because of a tweet.

The GM has all the goods - the GPS tracking his speed in practice and games, the specifics of what route he was supposed to run and how he ran it, how often he was open on-time against man.  He gets info on what's going on in the locker room.   Some of the stuff that's been rumored here - Diggs being chronically late, having a special parking spot, being an asshat to police officers, some stunt he pulled that hurt the team, that in 2022 he ranted at Allen about missing him in games to the point where the WR room was uncomfortable and Allen was fed up and stopped talking to him.

I think Diggs may have forced himself out, I just think one small tweet weighs pretty small against everything else that may have gone on and against leaving a gaping hole while taking on $31M dead cap.

And yes, I think the tweet was a shot at Josh.

In the interview with Dunne if I recall correctly Beane pretty well said Diggs didn't want to be here any more.  So yes, he got exactly what he wanted.

you’re acting as if I’m saying the only reason he was traded is because of the tweet.  That’s not what I’m saying.  I believe that they were taking offers and wanted to trade him but they didn’t like the offers enough to pull the trigger just yet. The tweet help madden  offer look a little sweeter- having your WR that has been in the negative spotlight almost every offseason talk smack on his QB could even lead to his value dropping if he were to say something on top of the tweet-  

agree to disagree

you don’t find what Diggs said to be offensive to Josh?  If you do, you don’t think that’s an issue?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.